Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Tempurpedic mattress

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:59 pm

Replaced an old Serta with a Tempurpedic ‘cloud’ recently

The ‘mattress in a box’ deal

It had lots of great reviews and I have an older TPedic that I’m very happy with

But this new one is a major disappointment, I sleep on my side and found it gave me immediate hip pain due to a pressure point

So, trying to come up with a plan B

Problem with mattresses is there’s 8 billion choices
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Dieuwer

Re: Tempurpedic mattress

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:18 pm

The problem with mattresses is that quality has gone down hill over the last decades.

fr8mech

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:36 pm

We’ve been sleeping on a Tempurpedic for a decade or so. We liked it at first, but we’ve both decided that it’s time to go.

So, I’ll pile on and ask for advice.

Going to be a Christmas gift for us.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

anrec80

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:17 am

My suggestion - take your time, try many different mattresses, both expensive and cheap. Try all your sleeping positions. Yes, there are billions of choices, but you can narrow down - do you like softer or firmer ones, what kind of heat conductivity you like.

And - this is the thing you spend 1/3 of your life on, and a lot in your health, well-being and happiness depends upon it. Refrain from the urge to cut a few hundred or even a thousand on it. Go with the one you are the most confident and comfortable, regardless whether it's within your budget or not. Maybe ask your doctor - what they suggest.

tommy1808

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:24 am

fr8mech wrote:
We’ve been sleeping on a Tempurpedic for a decade or so. We liked it at first, but we’ve both decided that it’s time to go.

So, I’ll pile on and ask for advice.

Going to be a Christmas gift for us.

I like latex mattress... heavy, but very good if you like to sleep kinda hard.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:32 pm

I have a memory foam mattress, but I recently ordered a body pillow. I also sleep on my side (or at least, fall asleep that way) and for the longest time, my lower back was always hurting. A chiropractor told me to consider a body pillow to support my body...haven't looked back since.

Consider that as an option.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

OA412

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm

I've had a Ghost Bed for the last 2 years, and I've been very happy with it. I also fall asleep on my side and haven't had any issues with back or hip pain. https://www.ghostbed.com/mattress/the-ghostbed/
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Revelation

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:38 pm

I have a Tpedic that I bought around a decade ago and have been using for the last five years or so.

I don't get into bed and say to myself, "this is really good". It seems the only time I realize that it's really good is when I try to sleep on anything else, either my relatively unused "pillow top" in my guest room, or at various hotels or at family member's houses.

Then I go "yeah, this is why I have a Tpedic"...

It's somewhere between "big improvement" and "life changing", not sure where it falls in that spectrum though.

Like I said, for me it's benefit only becomes clear when it's taken away.

Thus it seems selecting a replacement is an effort in eliminating the obviously inferior products till you get one that doesn't produce a negative reaction.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

casinterest

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Max Q wrote:
Replaced an old Serta with a Tempurpedic ‘cloud’ recently

The ‘mattress in a box’ deal

It had lots of great reviews and I have an older TPedic that I’m very happy with

But this new one is a major disappointment, I sleep on my side and found it gave me immediate hip pain due to a pressure point

So, trying to come up with a plan B

Problem with mattresses is there’s 8 billion choices

Interestingly, hip-pain and lower back pain are common since Tempurpedic mattresses are designed to provide comfort by giving way. If your "alignment" is one that causes serious couture issues , you may wake up with Severe joints.

https://www.thesleepjudge.com/tempur-pedic-complaints/

I have always opted for a good firm mattress. Lately my biggest issue is that when sleeping on my side, I put my shoulder to sleep all the way to the hand.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Ken777

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm

We bought a foam mattress 15 to 20 years ago and it's time to make a change. Actually the wife and I live at different ends of a ranch style house (for medical reasons) and the new mattress will be for me. A foam queen with an adjustable frame is the target for me. I start chemo on Thursday and want ease of getting id out of bed.

At the same tine, I might just get an adjustable frame and stick with the old mattress. Yesterday I tripped on an electric cord and went flying to the old mattress on my bad arm (google Revverse Shoulder Replacement). I'm a "bit" overweight and I then went flying off the mattress like I was on a trampoline, landing on the floor on my "good"side. It might be worth trying just a new base. I can always get something else after chemo.

Ken777

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Ken777 wrote:
We bought a foam mattress 15 to 20 years ago and it's time to make a change. Actually the wife and I live at different ends of a ranch style house (for medical reasons) and the new mattress will be for me. A foam queen with an adjustable frame is the target for me. I start chemo on Thursday and want ease of getting in & out of bed.

At the same tine, I might just get an adjustable frame and stick with the old mattress. Yesterday I tripped on an electric cord and went flying to the old mattress on my bad arm (google Revverse Shoulder Replacement). I'm a "bit" overweight and I then went flying off the mattress like I was on a trampoline, landing on the floor on my "good"side. It might be worth trying just a new base. I can always get something else after chemo.

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:51 pm

I wish mattresses had a chiller system built in.

Revelation

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 am

Dieuwer wrote:
I wish mattresses had a chiller system built in.

I had one, then I divorced it, LOL! :D
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

jetwet1

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:00 am

We have a sleep number, I honestly went along with it to keep the wife happy, but after a couple of years, yeah it's worth it.

One thing to remember, the margins are huge and times are tough, don't take the first price they quote.

fr8mech

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Ken777 wrote:
I start chemo on Thursday

I feel for you. Best wishes.

jetwet1 wrote:
We have a sleep number,

We’re toying with that. I like a firmer mattress than the wife does, but my range of comfort tolerance is larger than hers, so unless she goes to something ridiculously soft, I’d probably be able to handle whatever mattress she wants.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

anrec80

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I like latex mattress... heavy, but very good if you like to sleep kinda hard.

best regards
Thomas

I like latex ones as well, but they are extremely pricey. My spring one is still good after 13 years (it's well chosen and is a great brand), and I can't make myself puny up on a new latex one.

anrec80

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
We have a sleep number, I honestly went along with it to keep the wife happy, but after a couple of years, yeah it's worth it.

One thing to remember, the margins are huge and times are tough, don't take the first price they quote.

Agree. Always bargain.

fr8mech

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 pm

Anybody use or try this thing:

https://purple.com

cpd

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:58 pm

I ended up with a very firm mattress from IKEA, with a small thin extra layer on top of it. I prefer to sleep on very firm mattresses, with softer ones I’ve ended up getting back pain.

Price was okay and I’m quite happy.

Ken777

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:12 am

fr8mech wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
I start chemo on Thursday

I feel for you. Best wishes. .

Thanks! It was basically a non-event. The use of a port is a breeze and, fortunately, the drugs are pretty easy to handle - at least for now.

This is sort fo iike Covid-19 - get a test is you have a concern. Read up on those who might be at risk and, for goodness sake, don't let fear keep you from being a doctor.