Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Jalap

Re: EU may indefinitely ban US citizens from entering EU

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:13 am

dampfnudel wrote:
I can’t blame the Europeans. Had the US banned travel to/from Europe and strictly quarantined Americans returning from there in January, thousands of lives in the US may have been saved. Personally, I think the Europeans should maintain their EU bubble until next year and not allow anyone in from outside the EU, especially those countries with dubious data and known to be less than transparent/reliable. That’s what Australia is doing. A second wave in the EU will most likely have an origin in Asia like the first one or maybe even somewhere closer. Opening up prematurely will certainly make a second wave in Europe a strong possibility. We see what’s happening when states in the US open prematurely and now the EU is reopening to countries they believe are safe probably thinking falsely that they can close the border in time if they notice any alarming changes.

I don't entirely agree.
Yes, keep borders closed for people originating in countries with (possibly) a lot of virus.
But not maintaining a true European bubble.
After all, we're not aiming for a zero-virus startegy. Whether new infections originate from travellers or local infections, that doesn't really matter. As long as we manage to keep the reproduction rate around 1, all is fine. I think travellers from relatively safe countries are welcome, as long as they follow the measures we still have.
If there's a second wave, it won't be travellers that are to blame (if travel is somewhat restricted), but local people neglecting the measures.

speedking

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:08 am

These border closures are useless containing the virus globally. In the end every person in this planet will get the virus anyway and only the strongest survive.
What is wonderful is that the closures will bring the end to the globalism. Especially here in the Europe it will mean the end of the Communist European Union and bring back the independence of separate nations.
The longer the borders are closed, the better!

tommy1808

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 am

par13del wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
I am not surprised at the EU considering such a ban as to the USA, but it should include China too.

Why should it include the PRC?

And dont just say "their numbers are fake, because they are low...."

Best regards
Thomas

Last I read they were going through another surge supposedly caused by folks arriving from Europe.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53216047

thats PR and doesn´t impact numbers.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

JJJ

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:14 am

speedking wrote:
These border closures are useless containing the virus globally. In the end every person in this planet will get the virus anyway and only the strongest survive.

The whole point of limiting freedom of movement is that people get infected gradually so that healthcare systems cope with the load. Everyone knows at this point what happened when ICUs get overwhelmed.

And yes, the strongest 99,something% will survive.

VSMUT

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 am

speedking wrote:
What is wonderful is that the closures will bring the end to the globalism. Especially here in the Europe it will mean the end of the Communist European Union and bring back the independence of separate nations.

Hate to break it to you, but most internal borders in the EU have reopened again. Even when they were closed, I was still able to travel for business. Free internal travel is also only one part of the EU, free trade and common legislation was still there and largely unaffected by the virus.

As for your view on the EU, you've clearly gotten it the wrong way round. Eurosceptics are supposed to claim that the union is pro-business/neo-capitalist and doesn't care about its citizens :duck:

Aesma

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 am

Also if globalization goes down a notch, the idea will be to make more things in the EU, not in each individual country.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 am

speedking wrote:

Until the giant multinational corporations die out, there will never be an end to 'the globalism'. It's here to stay.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tommy1808

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:
speedking wrote:

Until the giant multinational corporations die out, there will never be an end to 'the globalism'. It's here to stay.

And why would anyone in their right mind want globalism to end? Globalism done wrong needs to end, but it can be done much better and generally is beneficial for most people involved.

Best regards
Thomas

olle

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Still the second wave will hit most part of the northern world after the hotter weather cools down in october. Will we go back to lockdown? Countries without virus like Norway will they stay closed to summer 2021?

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 pm

olle wrote:
Still the second wave will hit most part of the northern world after the hotter weather cools down in october. Will we go back to lockdown? Countries without virus like Norway will they stay closed to summer 2021?

Weather has nothing to do with COVID-19 transmission.

extender

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

South Florida had a spike in cases, and it has been mid 80's to mid 90's, with a heat index of 109F. So that idea that it dies in the heat is bupkis.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

extender wrote:
South Florida had a spike in cases, and it has been mid 80's to mid 90's, with a heat index of 109F. So that idea that it dies in the heat is bupkis.

Anyone with a brain the size of a gnat knew that. Unless Singapore was experiencing a Siberian winter, it was exhibit A for the heat theory.

If anything I would think the opposite is true and that the cold helps slow its spread, because it means people are not willing to go out or stay out, they'll limit their trips, and stay inside. Prime for the flu to spread, but not so much for covid.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm

Its survival rate reduces as heat goes up, but you need prolonged exposure over 135F for it to die, unlikely to happen anywhere on earth. Even Bikram Yoga camps are run at 105F/40RH, no use.

N95 mask sterilization methods require 180F for 40 minutes.

Direct exposure to UV-C will kill the virus, but very harmful to humans and people may misinterpret "direct" more than one can imagine.

Soap is still humans best friend.
All posts are just opinions.

GDB

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:17 pm

extender wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Nice to see acknowledgement that Trump was flat out lying early on when he said warmer weather would get rid of it.
That thing he also said was a hoax.

TWA772LR

Re: EU may permanently ban US citizens from entering EU

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:21 pm

kalvado wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
AA747123 wrote:
The EU is looking to permanently ban US citizens from entering the EU. Descision by July first.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/23/2130 ... draft-list

We must clearly sue the EU and have the SCOTUS rule that the EU can't ban US citizens from visiting, and if nothing happens, tariff the hell out of the EU. It's Keep America Great, not Keep Europe Great!

Bend countries to the US, not the other way around, even if Jack and Jill from the MAGA base don't even have the means to fly anywhere.

Countries do have a right to deny entry of foreign nationals. Best that US can do is to reciprocate. Which would be a moot point as quarantine requirements would dictate no travel in either direction.

As an American, the EU is right to protect their respective nationals from countries that don't have COVID under control, just as the any other nation does.

However, I can see my presidents reaction to this as suspending the VWP for EU nations. Then those nations will knock it up a notch from ETIAS to a full-blown visa.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Dieuwer

Re: EU may permanently ban US citizens from entering EU

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
kalvado wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
We must clearly sue the EU and have the SCOTUS rule that the EU can't ban US citizens from visiting, and if nothing happens, tariff the hell out of the EU. It's Keep America Great, not Keep Europe Great!

Bend countries to the US, not the other way around, even if Jack and Jill from the MAGA base don't even have the means to fly anywhere.

Countries do have a right to deny entry of foreign nationals. Best that US can do is to reciprocate. Which would be a moot point as quarantine requirements would dictate no travel in either direction.

As an American, the EU is right to protect their respective nationals from countries that don't have COVID under control, just as the any other nation does.

However, I can see my presidents reaction to this as suspending the VWP for EU nations. Then those nations will knock it up a notch from ETIAS to a full-blown visa.

Then the tourism industry on both sides of the pond will completely collapse taking legacy airliners with it. We already are teetering at the edge of Great Depression 2.0, then it will be guaranteed.

noviorbis77

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Please remember this American friends when you chose to vacation in the future.

Whilst Europe does not want you, the United Kingdom will always welcome our closest friends and allies.

We’ll never ban you from visiting.

Aesma

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 pm

Isn't the UK imposing a 14 days quarantine on all entrants to its territory ?

US citizens who get 14 days of vacation a year ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:25 am

noviorbis77 wrote:

Whilst Europe does not want you, the United Kingdom will always welcome our closest friends and allies.

I guess your government does not agree with you, and US visitors are considered a health risk. Tons of people can visit, US citizens are for all practical purposes still banned.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... ption-list

Best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:31 am

noviorbis77 wrote:

Well that comment didn't age well. :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

par13del

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:31 pm

When Trump tried to ban visitors from the EU or select countries, it was bad because he did not consult, and the experts on both sides of the pond said it was not based on medical science, did nothing to protect and as such was a waste of time.
The EU is now showing the Americans how a ban is done, so hopefully they will learn, however, I am not sure why retaliation is not expected, that is the way diplomacy works, and it has been around long before the current POTUS came along.
Funny how fast things change, Australia quarantine infrastructure seems to now be the source of new infections driving more lock downs, are people actually taking this virus serious?

flipdewaf

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:35 pm

par13del wrote:
Funny how fast things change, Australia quarantine infrastructure seems to now be the source of new infections driving more lock downs, are people actually taking this virus serious?

I was chatting with a colleague in Tas on Thursday and he said that the problem in Victoria was partly the promiscuity of the hired in security used to make sure people stayed locked down! Not sure whether I should laugh or cry.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

par13del

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:41 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
par13del wrote:

I was chatting with a colleague in Tas on Thursday and he said that the problem in Victoria was partly the promiscuity of the hired in security used to make sure people stayed locked down! Not sure whether I should laugh or cry.

Fred

...don't forget the taking them on trips to the Malls, supposedly after the various nocturnal activities.

sabenapilot

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:53 pm

scbriml wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

In line with most of what Brexiteers once promissed, I'd say?

noviorbis77

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:49 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

I guess your government does not agree with you, and US visitors are considered a health risk. Tons of people can visit, US citizens are for all practical purposes still banned.

Best regards
Thomas

Well hopefully it’ll change soon.

We can’t keep our closest allies too far away can we.

noviorbis77

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:50 pm

sabenapilot wrote:
scbriml wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

In line with most of what Brexiteers once promissed, I'd say?

Oh give it a rest.

The verbal diarrohea about Brexit is getting really boring and obsessive.

Do you not have a life?

tommy1808

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:57 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Of course, once they get competent government that will follow in short order.

Best regards
Thomas

Aesma

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:05 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Since when does a virus care about geopolitics ?

flipdewaf

EU may indefinitely ban US citizens from entering EU

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Aesma wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Since when does a virus care about geopolitics ?

Using logic with a brexiteer is like fitting wheels to horse, painful, time consuming and ultimately useless.

Fred

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:59 pm

How is it possible that Donald Trump Jr. doesn't have the virus, yet his girlfriend does?
How is it possible that Donald J. Trump's secret service detail members who all wear mask has tested positive and Trump who wear no mask hasn't.

You guys are worried about China and Russian not telling the truth? How ironic. Of course EU not going to let American's in, have you look at the numbers. we are more dangerous than any other country in the world. Thanks Trump!

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
speedking wrote:

And why would anyone in their right mind want globalism to end? Globalism done wrong needs to end, but it can be done much better and generally is beneficial for most people involved.

Best regards
Thomas

Indeed. If anything, things like the Chinese BRI will need significant global counterweight if the western world is interested in staying a thing.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."