Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

stl07
Topic Author

Texas (and Florida) to re-shut down partially

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:35 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... 9-n1232233

Now, who could have seen this coming? The states that gloated not having "regulations" are now shutting back down. Looks like the do nothing and pretend it doesn't exist approach didn't work out so well.

https://twitter.com/WestWingReport/stat ... 61/photo/1
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

readytotaxi

Re: Texas (and Florida) to re-shut down partially

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:44 pm

trump putting the economy before health and safety, who would have guessed it was an election year.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Just stop reporting the cases and both states will have 0 cases.

Problem solved!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ArchGuy1

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:22 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Problem solved!

Is California seeing a huge increase in cases because Trump ordered the meat plants to stay open anywhere in the country?

Tugger

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 pm

I have been enjoying listening to talk radio hosts "conservasplaining" (or is it "republislaining"?) how these aren't shut-downs at all, and that no one is going "backwards" and how they are nothing like what California is doing. Dems evil, doing it wrong, wanting to harm and enslave the people. Republican states or leaders though are doing it right and wanting only freedom for the people, they are good.

The shilling that goes on so many of these shows now is crazy. I enjoy most of the shows normally but the shilling for one party (and something like 80-90% of shows are "conservative" soo... ) has gotten to monumental levels, blind leading the blind levels.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Problem solved!

Is California seeing a huge increase in cases because Trump ordered the meat plants to stay open anywhere in the country?

casinterest

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Tugger wrote:
I have been enjoying listening to talk radio hosts "conservasplaining" (or is it "republislaining"?) how these aren't shut-downs at all, and that no one is going "backwards" and how they are nothing like what California is doing. Dems evil, doing it wrong, wanting to harm and enslave the people. Republican states or leaders though are doing it right and wanting only freedom for the people, they are good.

The shilling that goes on so many of these shows now is crazy. I enjoy most of the shows normally but the shilling for one party (and something like 80-90% of shows are "conservative" soo... ) has gotten to monumental levels, blind leading the blind levels.

Tugg

"Conservative" solutions to problems usually involve blaming the problem on the liberals for as long as possible, and then screwing up the solution.

Notice how after 10 years, there is still no "Conservative" solution for Health care?
Where ever you go, there you are.

seahawk

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Just test less, problem solved.

casinterest wrote:

Notice how after 10 years, there is still no "Conservative" solution for Health care?

Actually there is. It is: none.

ltbewr

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:10 pm

No doubt in Florida, Texas, several other states and regions they have a skyrocketing rate of infections, hospitalizations and soon deaths from Covid-19 pandemic. Too many have made the decision to not use masks. Too many not socially distancing, congregate in bars and other public spaces, have family parties, attend social gatherings, attend faith service. Unsafe conditions for many farm, ranch, meat and food processing workers or where impossible to socially distance. Still not enough PPE. Coward politicians giving in to the nosiest voters who wanted 'normal' too soon for 'freedom' reasons but also the reality that 1000's of businesses were going broke, millions out of work and needed to return to work or they or family die from starvation or lose their homes.

Sadly, there may not much that can be done but we will all suffer personally and economically from these rising outbreaks, delaying a true return to 'normal'.

ArchGuy1

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:18 pm

ltbewr wrote:
No doubt in Florida, Texas, several other states and regions they have a skyrocketing rate of infections, hospitalizations and soon deaths from Covid-19 pandemic. Too many have made the decision to not use masks. Too many not socially distancing, congregate in bars and other public spaces, have family parties, attend social gatherings, attend faith service. Unsafe conditions for many farm, ranch, meat and food processing workers or where impossible to socially distance. Still not enough PPE. Coward politicians giving in to the nosiest voters who wanted 'normal' too soon for 'freedom' reasons but also the reality that 1000's of businesses were going broke, millions out of work and needed to return to work or they or family die from starvation or lose their homes.

Sadly, there may not much that can be done but we will all suffer personally and economically from these rising outbreaks, delaying a true return to 'normal'.

What is causing the huge increase in California, considering that they have a more common sense approach at the state government level. Is it largely due to the meat plants being ordered to stay open by Trump in the state.

casinterest

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:30 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

What is causing the huge increase in California, considering that they have a more common sense approach at the state government level. Is it largely due to the meat plants being ordered to stay open by Trump in the state.

Go here and look.

Sort by cases per 1 Million People. California did a good job of flattening the curve. It is just that any little opening, or people not adhering to the rules will result in massive jumps. Especially when you have one of highest populations of any state .

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:37 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Too many not socially distancing, congregate in bars and other public spaces, have family parties, attend social gatherings, attend faith service.

This, I think is the main issue. It's one thing to go to a supermarket where you're walking by people quickly but keeping your distance; it's another when you go to a packed bar or church or restaurant without distancing or protection.

I will admit, I'm in the rebel camp. If I'm not FORCED to wear a mask, I won't wear it (moot now since WA requires it except for very few instances). But even then I know well to avoid crowded places without protection. As soon as King County did a modified phase 1 opening and allowed barbers, I was shocked to see that the barbershop was packed. I remained there because I just really needed a haircut, but went to take a test the following week: negative. But I will likely not go back, even if they reopen (I'm surprised they haven't been linked to an outbreak).

stl07
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:12 pm

Heard the same thing is now occurring for Socal. Keep it up America!!

"iT's ThE nEw NoRmAl UnTiL wE gEt A vAcCine"... every other country except America (and America lites like Brazil and Russia) burst out laughing, as they all followed the rules and flattened the curve instead of saying things like that and taking no responsibility
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

seb146

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:54 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

There are counties in California that are Republican and hate masks. Orange County is probably the most populous. Home of Disneyland. Also, tech companies in the Bay Area are having people come in. The brosband and I went to Crescent City last month in the far northwest of the state. Home Depot in California has some products we can not get here in Oregon. So many people there with no masks and standing and talking close to each other.

I don't think it is "meat plants" so much as people just being close and not wearing masks.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

727LOVER

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:21 am

brag, brag, brag.........love the COMMENTS from 1 month ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6yjTrGkLc

I live in Florida....so this is MY governor.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Newark727

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:24 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Problem solved!

I think it's less that and more just the gradual increase in social events with the beginning of summer. A lot of California outside LA County and San Francisco got off relatively easy in the spring, so people aren't feeling the need for masks and more accommodating to the anti-maskers (is that a thing? it's a thing now.)

LOT767301ER

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:57 am

727LOVER wrote:

So far he is still right. Let me just bring up the deaths per 1/M chart for the geniuses up in the NE -

NY - 1615
NJ - 1695
MA - 1156
PA - 519
CT - 1208
RI - 875

FL - 157

Current situation -

• The hardest hit and largest county is discharging patients again faster than admitting them, 3 days in a row now. The largest hospital in said county (Jackson Health) puts out a daily summary and today had less COVID patients than yesterday and yesterday less than 2 days ago.
  • The avg age of infection statewide is 33-34. Which means that almost everyone is asymptomatic or has the equivalent of a cold so the statewide hospital duration for a COVID admission has dropped from 10 days to 6 days when one is admitted because the acuity is half of what it was 2 months ago.
  • The statewide ICU/General Bed availability has hovered between 21-24% in the last 2 weeks without any change. This is around double the availability than pre-COVID. MDC has more availability general beds and ICU beds today than 10 days ago before this hype started and thats with no surge. Patients are being admitted so the numbers there are up but they are also getting discharged quickly.

It very well could change but the data suggests not much is happening right now except everyone is heading over to get tested because the media has moved the goal posts again by 50 yards.

I dont buy the deaths part so far based on all the data in Florida. Could change though.

No doubt in Florida, Texas, several other states and regions they have a skyrocketing rate of infections, hospitalizations and soon deaths from Covid-19 pandemic

Bad chain of logic on the deaths part in Florida. You are not looking at the granular data. 2 months ago this was the case because the average age of infection was in the mid-60s and the acuity of cases based on hospital stay was 2x as long/severe. For example - In central Florida you dont even have half the patients in the ICU that you did 2 months ago even though general hospitalizations are exponentially up. Again, it could change and Im sure it will go up some but there is a massive difference when you are admitting 35 year olds and 80 year olds hence there isnt a projection out there for FL that shows any sort of surge that will overwhelm the system.

Again, stuff could change. The younger crowd could give it to the older crowd but from what we have seen the majority of deaths in all of these northern states were from the governors shoving positive COVID patients right back into the LTCs where they infected everyone and since they have an insanely high CFR the deaths went through the roof.

seb146

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:31 pm

LOT767301ER wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

So far he is still right. Let me just bring up the deaths per 1/M chart for the geniuses up in the NE -

NY - 1615
NJ - 1695
MA - 1156
PA - 519
CT - 1208
RI - 875

FL - 157

Current situation -

• The hardest hit and largest county is discharging patients again faster than admitting them, 3 days in a row now. The largest hospital in said county (Jackson Health) puts out a daily summary and today had less COVID patients than yesterday and yesterday less than 2 days ago.
  • The avg age of infection statewide is 33-34. Which means that almost everyone is asymptomatic or has the equivalent of a cold so the statewide hospital duration for a COVID admission has dropped from 10 days to 6 days when one is admitted because the acuity is half of what it was 2 months ago.
  • The statewide ICU/General Bed availability has hovered between 21-24% in the last 2 weeks without any change. This is around double the availability than pre-COVID. MDC has more availability general beds and ICU beds today than 10 days ago before this hype started and thats with no surge. Patients are being admitted so the numbers there are up but they are also getting discharged quickly.

It very well could change but the data suggests not much is happening right now except everyone is heading over to get tested because the media has moved the goal posts again by 50 yards.

I dont buy the deaths part so far based on all the data in Florida. Could change though.

No doubt in Florida, Texas, several other states and regions they have a skyrocketing rate of infections, hospitalizations and soon deaths from Covid-19 pandemic

Bad chain of logic on the deaths part in Florida. You are not looking at the granular data. 2 months ago this was the case because the average age of infection was in the mid-60s and the acuity of cases based on hospital stay was 2x as long/severe. For example - In central Florida you dont even have half the patients in the ICU that you did 2 months ago even though general hospitalizations are exponentially up. Again, it could change and Im sure it will go up some but there is a massive difference when you are admitting 35 year olds and 80 year olds hence there isnt a projection out there for FL that shows any sort of surge that will overwhelm the system.

Again, stuff could change. The younger crowd could give it to the older crowd but from what we have seen the majority of deaths in all of these northern states were from the governors shoving positive COVID patients right back into the LTCs where they infected everyone and since they have an insanely high CFR the deaths went through the roof.

And don't forget these right wing states were either fudging the numbers or not testing. Now, right wing states are being told they can not test like they could before. Gotta give dear leader a win any way they can.....

LCDFlight

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:12 pm

LOT767301ER wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

NY - 1615
NJ - 1695
MA - 1156
PA - 519
CT - 1208
RI - 875

FL - 157

Current situation -

Exactly. Thank you. I have worked as a data analyst for many years and have a good advanced education in survey methods, data analysis, stats.

People are insulting Florida left and right. Media / journalists are absolutely slamming Florida, saying there is a tremendous COVID outbreak happening in Florida and Texas.

This is false. It is disinformation. The major COVID outbreaks happened in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts. That is where policymakers totally failed to protect their people.

Dieuwer

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Fact: Florida’s Rt is second highest, right below Nevada.
Fact: daily new cases in FL are now the highest in the country (9,585).

stl07
Topic Author

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

NY - 1615
NJ - 1695
MA - 1156
PA - 519
CT - 1208
RI - 875

FL - 157

Current situation -

Exactly. Thank you. I have worked as a data analyst for many years and have a good advanced education in survey methods, data analysis, stats.

People are insulting Florida left and right. Media / journalists are absolutely slamming Florida, saying there is a tremendous COVID outbreak happening in Florida and Texas.

This is false. It is disinformation. The major COVID outbreaks happened in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts. That is where policymakers totally failed to protect their people.

Aahahaha. When they have nothing left to defend, we get the usual Media bad defense.

OA412

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:14 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

How is this false? Florida is reporting more than 9000 new cases per day. NY, NJ, CT, and MA positive case rates have all declined, Florida's have been rising, as have Texas'. Both states are well on their way to mimicking what happened in the Northeast.
727LOVER wrote:

Boy that really didn't age well. There are a lot of terrible governors in this country, but Ron DeSantis has to be the absolute worst of the bunch.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Jalap

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:34 am

LCDFlight wrote:

What's false? Calling it an outbreak or the actual numbers?
Or you claim it's false because despite the outbreak the mortality rate remains relatively low?

Aaron747

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:42 am

LCDFlight wrote:
LOT767301ER wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

NY - 1615
NJ - 1695
MA - 1156
PA - 519
CT - 1208
RI - 875

FL - 157

Current situation -

You are agreeing with a disinformation statement where someone is talking about granular data analysis and cases under 40 being hospitalized for what’s basically a cold, yet reality suggests more serious conditions than that.

As reported by Dr. Gottlieb here, mortality for pneumonia across all age groups is 3.3%. In FL for COVID patients 35-44, it is nearly 5% as of June 24th.

See thread here:

https://twitter.com/scottgottliebmd/sta ... 40737?s=21

In other news, I have friends in the SAT area now receiving stay at home guidelines from authorities via text.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WarRI1

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:54 am

But but but Obama, he did not leave a plan, but but but China, they sent us the virus instead of helping the man get re-elected as asked by the man. But but but I stopped the traffic from China while while 400k more came in. But but but the Democrats exaggerated when discussing the dangers from the virus. But but but it will all just disappear when warm weather comes. But but but we are saving lives while the death toll keeps rising. But but but we can safely open the wild West and deep South because we can with Republican Governors. All freaking Bullshit. But but but Obama.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

einsteinboricua

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:06 am

WarRI1 wrote:
But but but Obama, he did not leave a plan, but but but China, they sent us the virus instead of helping the man get re-elected as asked by the man. But but but I stopped the traffic from China while while 400k more came in. But but but the Democrats exaggerated when discussing the dangers from the virus. But but but it will all just disappear when warm weather comes. But but but we are saving lives while the death toll keeps rising. But but but we can safely open the wild West and deep South because we can with Republican Governors. All freaking Bullshit. But but but Obama.

Just stop it! You know very well this is getting old. These are childish remarks that have no place in this forum and are not conductive to a mature conversation.

It's all because of Clinton's emails and pizzagate and antifa and destroying our heritage and testing (because if we don't test, we don't have cases!) and the West Point ramp.

WarRI1

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:29 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Just stop it! You know very well this is getting old. These are childish remarks that have no place in this forum and are not conductive to a mature conversation.

It's all because of Clinton's emails and pizzagate and antifa and destroying our heritage and testing (because if we don't test, we don't have cases!) and the West Point ramp.

I do apologize, I got carried away and from now on when the VP in the place of the missing he, smiles and so sanctimoniously pronounces we have made progress and are saving lives and can open safely because the Republicans are so good at it with their Virus task force which he heads, I will bow my head and say But, but, but people are still dying, but,but,but the rates of infection are skyrocketing and but, but, but even the Republican states are beginning to restrict people again. But, but, but. Obama. Thanks for the advice, I needed that and will try to amend my ways. :spin: :spin: :spin:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

seb146

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:03 am

I wish we had an actual health official. You know: someone who reads medical journals and studies medical articles. Someone who knows they don't know about virology and is willing to listen to people who are better educated. An adult, perhaps? If only there were someone. But pwning the libs is more betterer. Watching the libs cry will win 2020. So much more better and so much more keeping America great than all those fake dead people *epic eyeroll*

LCDFlight

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Jalap wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Or you claim it's false because despite the outbreak the mortality rate remains relatively low?

It is false to negatively compare Florida's outbreak with New York. New York's was 10 times more severe (140 deaths / 100,000 versus 14 deaths/100,000). Of course COVID is present in every state. The situation in Florida has been given "undue weight," a form of media bias.

Texas, at 8 deaths per 100,000 thus far, is practically COVID free compared to NY/NJ.

Whatever the media is talking about with "case counts" does not necessarily mean anything. CDC said this week that true COVID infection count is about 10 times higher than case count. Obviously, the more you sample, the more of that 10x multiplier you can detect. Judging by deaths, these places are seeing little or no outbreak... nothing like NY/NJ. And nowhere near as bad as the UK.

Revelation

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:37 pm

My point of view (and remember, I'm one of the board's biggest lefties):
a) Data on deaths is far more meaningful than cases, so look at death data instead of case data
b) Media makes money based on fear/sensationalism, it's no accident they keep emphasizing case data
c) The virus is still out there, it doesn't care if it takes you out or not
d) Try to find one data source you trust and try not to bounce from site to site

Given this, I find the following graphic showing deaths vs time in absolute and percentage to be of interest:

Ref: https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f ... 5839e06441

So, a lot of regions have "flattened the curve" but just that, and LatAm is still growing.

Please keep in mind the reason the curve went flat is because people worked out ways to not spread the virus, and IMO we need to keep doing so till an effective antivirus is produced and deployed.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

NWAESC

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:11 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sadly, there may not much that can be done...

Sure there is.

Step 1: Stop politicizing every.last.f'ing. thing in America. This is a public health issue; we don't have time for juvenile BS.
Step2: Go all in on mask wearing- no need for shaming. Simply show the "mah rights" crowd that the most patriotic thing they could do right now is to wear one when distancing isn't possible.
Step 3: Testing/tracing. 10's of 1000's could be put back to work *today* doing this work.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

luckyone

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:32 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
The situation in Florida has been given "undue weight," a form of media bias.

From a medical treatment perspective, no, it has not been given undue weight. If current trends continue, Florida is going to be out of ICU beds by the end of August--yes those models are susceptible to a lot of variables. I shouldn't have to point out that Texas has suspended all elective procedures in four of its most populous counties and Texas Medical Center (which advertises itself as the biggest hospital complex on the planet) has 100% occupancy of their normal ICU capacity. So in other words, some people won't get their surgeries now for several weeks, because there isn't hospital capacity for that, because people just had to go to a bar or dine in at Applebees instead of eat at home.

lugie

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:32 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

It is false to negatively compare Florida's outbreak with New York. New York's was 10 times more severe (140 deaths / 100,000 versus 14 deaths/100,000). Of course COVID is present in every state. The situation in Florida has been given "undue weight," a form of media bias.

Your're right, it is fals to compare the outbreaks.

NYC began locking down when daily new infections hit 3,000. FL had 8,500 yesterday and over 9,000 today but DeSantis seems to believe it will all go away magically by itself.

But sure, "media bad". How dare they report on (repeated and enduring) mismanagement of this crisis in Red States??? I guess he should just close down test sites, that should take care of all those reported new infections, right?
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

Jalap

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:24 pm

Revelation wrote:
My point of view (and remember, I'm one of the board's biggest lefties):
a) Data on deaths is far more meaningful than cases, so look at death data instead of case data

Yet data on deaths is only meaningfull if all countries were to count all deaths caused by Covid.
You'd have to look at excess death numbers to get an accurate estimation.
In many of the countries that are spiking right now, I'm quite sure that the amount of deaths is very much underestimated. There surely are far more people dying from Covid today than there were when Europe and USA were spiking.
So little testing is going on in so many countries. In any country with under 50.000 tests per million population you can expect the actual death number to several times the reported number.
And Russia, with about the same amount of deaths as Belgium but 10x the amount of infections. Who does Putin expect to actually believe this?
Last edited by Jalap on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jalap

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:38 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Jalap wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Texas, at 8 deaths per 100,000 thus far, is practically COVID free compared to NY/NJ.

Whatever the media is talking about with "case counts" does not necessarily mean anything. CDC said this week that true COVID infection count is about 10 times higher than case count. Obviously, the more you sample, the more of that 10x multiplier you can detect. Judging by deaths, these places are seeing little or no outbreak... nothing like NY/NJ. And nowhere near as bad as the UK.

Yes, the media is sensationalist.
But, there is no way to not find 9.000 infections per day very worrysome. And if the media brings this to attention, then perhaps people will start being more carefull, keep distance and/or wear masks.
Also you can't compare the states that are currently spiking to the ones that had it in March or April. You need to wait for August to compare.

Back in April, mortality rate of this virus was 1% overall. We can hope treatments are better by now, so Florida won't suffer a spike in deaths like New York and New Jersey did.

In any case, downplaying the numbers is a far worse idea than sensationalising them.

Francoflier

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:06 am

lugie wrote:
NYC began locking down when daily new infections hit 3,000. FL had 8,500 yesterday and over 9,000 today but DeSantis seems to believe it will all go away magically by itself.

The virus does go away by itself... just not magically.

It goes through the population no matter what you do. All lockdowns do is slow it down and allow the healthcare system to cope, which should be the ultimate goal. Flattening the curve is just that, it doesn't decrease the overall number of infections, it just slows the spread.

It is estimated that NY got such a spike and rapid spread (during which a lockdown was largely justified) that eventually close to 50% of the population there got exposed to the virus. The cold winter climate and high population density didn't help. the thing is, the city is now mostly immunized against it, and if another wave hits there, it is likely to not be very aggressive.
Basically, whichever part of the World hasn't gotten to that point yet will eventually. It's just a matter of time. You either get your herd immunity hard and fast and slowly over time. The point is, as long as the healthcare system can cope and adequately treat all patients, the end result in terms of figures will likely be in the same ballpark.

I believe it was a mistake for states that did not see a spike yet to lockdown too early. All it did was delay the inevitable while depleting the population's cooperation capital, which you then are short of when the real wave arrives. Lockdowns only flatten the curve, they do not stop the spread.

So we either eliminate all human contact until somebody finds a cure or vaccine, which might be years away, or we learn to live with a disease that has killed much less people than cancer so far this year without destroying society. I don't see us writing off trillions from our children's pockets to fight cancer and diabetes, why do we do it for this thing which kills much less now and, unlike the former, will subside over time?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

tommy1808

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:12 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Problem solved!

CA may have an above average share of vegetarians, they still eat meat.

The visualization purportedly shows devices — possibly owned by workers, truckers, or anyone whose GPS location was logged at the plant — subsequently traveling to 48 states and Canada throughout the month of March.

https://www.businessinsider.com/phone-l ... ?r=DE&IR=T

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

stl07
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:02 am

Francoflier wrote:
lugie wrote:

It goes through the population no matter what you do. All lockdowns do is slow it down and allow the healthcare system to cope, which should be the ultimate goal. Flattening the curve is just that, it doesn't decrease the overall number of infections, it just slows the spread.

It is estimated that NY got such a spike and rapid spread (during which a lockdown was largely justified) that eventually close to 50% of the population there got exposed to the virus. The cold winter climate and high population density didn't help. the thing is, the city is now mostly immunized against it, and if another wave hits there, it is likely to not be very aggressive.
Basically, whichever part of the World hasn't gotten to that point yet will eventually. It's just a matter of time. You either get your herd immunity hard and fast and slowly over time. The point is, as long as the healthcare system can cope and adequately treat all patients, the end result in terms of figures will likely be in the same ballpark.

I believe it was a mistake for states that did not see a spike yet to lockdown too early. All it did was delay the inevitable while depleting the population's cooperation capital, which you then are short of when the real wave arrives. Lockdowns only flatten the curve, they do not stop the spread.

So we either eliminate all human contact until somebody finds a cure or vaccine, which might be years away, or we learn to live with a disease that has killed much less people than cancer so far this year without destroying society. I don't see us writing off trillions from our children's pockets to fight cancer and diabetes, why do we do it for this thing which kills much less now and, unlike the former, will subside over time?

All of that makes sense until you look at this. Countries that locked down earlier are done

tommy1808

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:07 am

stl07 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
lugie wrote:

All of that makes sense until you look at this. Countries that locked down earlier are done

the link is broken....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Kent350787

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:34 am

This one I think https://twitter.com/WestWingReport/status/1276560430371164161?s=20

Here in Australia we're aghast at the single state with double digit new infections over the last few days. Its (comparatively) poor controls are stopping us opening up domestic movement.
    S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

stl07
    Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:43 am

Kent350787 wrote:
      This one I think https://twitter.com/WestWingReport/status/1276560430371164161?s=20

Here in Australia we're aghast at the single state with double digit new infections over the last few days. Its (comparatively) poor controls are stopping us opening up domestic movement.

Oh, you can't go on vacation...First world problems. In 3rd world countries like the US, the corrupt politicians are openly telling not to wear masks or bother with anything like that, and any state with a double-digit increase is viewed as a success story.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:03 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
      CA may have an above average share of vegetarians, they still eat meat.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. The Corn Belt states produce a lot of corn, some of which is being used for ethanol...I have yet to see demand for fuel efficient vehicles in states like Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska.

casinterest

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:09 pm

Had to cancel vacation plans to Florida due to this change of operation.

Wonder if the GOP will cancel and move their convention yet again?

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:32 pm

casinterest wrote:

Doubt it. To change it for a second time would mean admitting that they have no strategy, that the administrations (federal and state) have failed to contain the outbreak, and that they're accepting that maybe, just maybe, the virus is not a hoax or as benign as they made it out to be.

That being said, even Jacksonville locals are less than thrilled about having many outsiders descend into the city for a convention. I don't know how the infection rate is in the area, but when a state gets over 8000 new infections daily, it's safe to say that it may be a hotspot.

luckyone

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:40 pm

In one Houston hospital system (Methodist), apparently 60% of COVID admits are under the age of 50. "Previously, about 1 in 5 people in intensive care unit beds were under 50. Now, he said it is almost 1 in 3."

Just to be clear, people are admitted to hospital for COVID, but they don't automatically get admitted to intensive care.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/houston ... ter%7Cmain

casinterest

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
      casinterest wrote:

Doubt it. To change it for a second time would mean admitting that they have no strategy, that the administrations (federal and state) have failed to contain the outbreak, and that they're accepting that maybe, just maybe, the virus is not a hoax or as benign as they made it out to be.

That being said, even Jacksonville locals are less than thrilled about having many outsiders descend into the city for a convention. I don't know how the infection rate is in the area, but when a state gets over 8000 new infections daily, it's safe to say that it may be a hotspot.

And Jacksonville has instituted a mask policy.
      https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/loca ... CHDHFU5MI/

frmrCapCadet

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:12 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
      ltbewr wrote:
      Too many not socially distancing, congregate in bars and other public spaces, have family parties, attend social gatherings, attend faith service.

This, I think is the main issue. It's one thing to go to a supermarket where you're walking by people quickly but keeping your distance; it's another when you go to a packed bar or church or restaurant without distancing or protection.

I will admit, I'm in the rebel camp. If I'm not FORCED to wear a mask, I won't wear it (moot now since WA requires it except for very few instances). But even then I know well to avoid crowded places without protection. As soon as King County did a modified phase 1 opening and allowed barbers, I was shocked to see that the barbershop was packed. I remained there because I just really needed a haircut, but went to take a test the following week: negative. But I will likely not go back, even if they reopen (I'm surprised they haven't been linked to an outbreak).

I was somewhat resistant to mask wearing. But at the time I was 99% social distancing, went once a week to a grocer before 7am when about no one was there except employees, about half of whom wear masks. Then kid got all of us KN95 masks which not only protect other, but offer some protection to the person wearing it. I use these on our rare trips shopping when indoors. I am still about 95% social distancing - I have added some 8 people to the persons I see regularly, but generally maintain distance and/or wear masks. My county, which was doing phenomenally well is experiencing more cases. Now that masks are required indoors we follow the rule, although we have some cloth masks which we use in the condo hallways and elevator (only as sole occupants). The county is generally back to work, mask wearing is wide spread. Those of us not wearing masks outdoors keep our distance.
      Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:36 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
      I was somewhat resistant to mask wearing.

Stores out here are posting signs, but are not enforcing the governor's order. And maybe there's merit in a supermarket given that people are constantly moving around and won't be hovering too long over people, but I thought the order extended to all indoor areas (no exceptions, except restaurants when seated and eating) and outdoors if you can't keep your distance.

I keep a mask in my car and whip it out even if just for a 30 second Starbucks run.

continental004

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 pm

Francoflier wrote:

California in a nutshell. We were the first state to "lockdown" and our case numbers are spiking.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 pm

ein.. just to clarify, I now wear a mask in all public indoor spaces. And outdoors I am never in crowded spaces.
      Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)