Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: Bounty on US Troops Unanswered by White House

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:08 pm

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/06/28 ... ation.html

Tammy Duckworth wants an investigation.

Far from punishing the Russian Federation, on June 3, 2020, President Trump confirmed that he wanted Vladimir Putin to attend the G7 summit later this year. Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, military families and the American people deserve answers and accountability for President Trump’s outrageous failure of leadership and apparent betrayal of our troops.

Trump continues his tour of being Russia's lapdog.
Where ever you go, there you are.

sierrakilo44

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
why turn OBL over to a 3rd party country - just provide his location if you're so concerned about civilians in the way?

Because at the time the Taliban were in control of Afghanistan, whether you like it or not, and the government of any nation has the right to see evidence of why a criminal residing in their country should be handed over to another country if requested. And if the evidence was strong enough to convict Bin Laden in a court in the US then it should’ve been strong enough to convict him in an international court as well, like in The Hague.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:02 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
why turn OBL over to a 3rd party country - just provide his location if you're so concerned about civilians in the way?

Because at the time the Taliban were in control of Afghanistan, whether you like it or not, and the government of any nation has the right to see evidence of why a criminal residing in their country should be handed over to another country if requested. And if the evidence was strong enough to convict Bin Laden in a court in the US then it should’ve been strong enough to convict him in an international court as well, like in The Hague.

Not really a logical position considering OBL was on video boasting of 9/11 as early as December 2001. But anyway...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

GDB

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not really a logical position considering OBL was on video boasting of 9/11 as early as December 2001. But anyway...

And he even warned in 1998 that the US was his prime target, about a year later Kalid Sheik Mohammed came along wanting money and support for his 'planes operation'.

LittleFokker

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pm

I'm having trouble understanding the severity of this story. Yes, I know IQ45 has been way too cozy and friendly with Putin, and I am aware he pushed for Putin to be invited back to the G7 recently, and there's nothing forgivable about that.

But as far as the actual bounties being placed on US soldiers, what exactly is anyone in the US supposed to do about it? We were already fighting Afghanistan - does this give us authorization to go into Russia and assassinate Putin? Does the fact that Afghan "soldiers" (I know the Taliban isn't too well organized) were bribed to kill Americans change the dynamics of the conflict over there?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

seb146

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Third ranking Republican member in the House wants to know what the president knew and when did he know it?

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/28/88440757 ... u-s-troops

The only "support" that he is right are his tweets and more blaming Obama. Troops on the ground found out about these bounties and reported them to superiors in January, according to some reports. Six months later, all we get is "it's Obama's fault!" This is really getting tired. Obama has been out of office 3 1/2 years. Republicans were demanding Obama stop blaming GWB six months into his administration. When are they going to demand their leader stop blaming Obama for their own failures?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

FGITD

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:34 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding the severity of this story. Yes, I know IQ45 has been way too cozy and friendly with Putin, and I am aware he pushed for Putin to be invited back to the G7 recently, and there's nothing forgivable about that.

But as far as the actual bounties being placed on US soldiers, what exactly is anyone in the US supposed to do about it? We were already fighting Afghanistan - does this give us authorization to go into Russia and assassinate Putin? Does the fact that Afghan "soldiers" (I know the Taliban isn't too well organized) were bribed to kill Americans change the dynamics of the conflict over there?

If I'm paying your neighbor to throw rocks at your house, smash your car, and hassle you day and night, are you going to invite me over to dinner?

It's not that anything can be done now. It's exactly that cozying up that's the problem

BN747

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:57 am

LittleFokker wrote:

But as far as the actual bounties being placed on US soldiers, what exactly is anyone in the US supposed to do about it?

The smartest thing to do now ..is to review the president's transcripts of every Putin conversation from day one.

That will either clear him or condemn him without question. These latest allegations place that decision squarely with the realm of the welfare of the United States.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 am

So who are you going to support? Kim, Xi, Putin, and Trump - or American Intelligence agencies and military leaders (admittedly imperfect)? Most Trump voters - the former. As the John Birchers use to put it - None dare call it treason.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

anrec80

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 am

Aaron747 wrote:
In early 2020, members of the elite Naval Special Warfare Development Group, known to the public as SEAL Team Six, raided a Taliban outpost and recovered roughly $500,000. The recovered funds further solidified the suspicions of the American intelligence community that the Russians had offered money to Taliban militants and other linked associations.

So the grounds for the article and "suspicions of American intelligence community" is USD 500K cash? Drug trade no longer counts? Taliban said there is no bounties, Trump admin says there are no bounties, Russian say there are no bounties, but the "intelligence community", instead of reporting to the White House and having top leadership briefed on this, for some reason went straight to New York Times? I wonder what exactly "intelligence community" unit that was.

If the "intelligence community" starts throwing stuff like that just out into public space, then Russia is simply no longer needed. It will have nothing left to do. And overall, this Russian topic is just getting tired, beaten, old and plain. If earlier there was at least something material attached (Skripals, MH-17 debris), now all that's left is just some "intelligence community" with some "anonymous sources". Gotta either keep the game up or find something else. "It's boring, girls!" - (c) Putin.

Newark727

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 am

The Trump admin., Russia, the Taliban - all known for their trustworthiness...

Reap what you sow. If nobody believes Russian denials anymore, again, that is entirely their own fault.

BN747

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 am

..and now we find out this more than a year old, Bolton is stating he had briefed him personally.

https://a.disquscdn.com/get?url=https%3 ... =800&h=506

...listen to flurry of phone calls made during the three weeks around the questionable period, it'll tell you all you need to know.

Aside from that look at any and all photo of trump and Putin, you can slice the fealty towards Putin with butter knife.
Putin is infront of him or beside him BUT never behind him as with all other leaders.

His deference is immeasurable. And it's not the rumored pee-pee tape.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

LittleFokker

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 am

FGITD wrote:
If I'm paying your neighbor to throw rocks at your house, smash your car, and hassle you day and night, are you going to invite me over to dinner?

It's not that anything can be done now. It's exactly that cozying up that's the problem

I agree with what you're saying. But since Republicans refuse to believe that Trump is in Putin's pocket and wiped their ass with the Mueller report, I can't imagine this story affecting any change. I hope I am proven wrong though.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

seb146

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:46 am

anrec80 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
In early 2020, members of the elite Naval Special Warfare Development Group, known to the public as SEAL Team Six, raided a Taliban outpost and recovered roughly $500,000. The recovered funds further solidified the suspicions of the American intelligence community that the Russians had offered money to Taliban militants and other linked associations.

So the grounds for the article and "suspicions of American intelligence community" is USD 500K cash? Drug trade no longer counts? Taliban said there is no bounties, Trump admin says there are no bounties, Russian say there are no bounties, but the "intelligence community", instead of reporting to the White House and having top leadership briefed on this, for some reason went straight to New York Times? I wonder what exactly "intelligence community" unit that was.

If the "intelligence community" starts throwing stuff like that just out into public space, then Russia is simply no longer needed. It will have nothing left to do. And overall, this Russian topic is just getting tired, beaten, old and plain. If earlier there was at least something material attached (Skripals, MH-17 debris), now all that's left is just some "intelligence community" with some "anonymous sources". Gotta either keep the game up or find something else. "It's boring, girls!" - (c) Putin.

One problem is that those in the administration refuse to be shown who they are when something bad like this happens

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... y-briefing

Many perceived "left wing" outlets must be absolutely secure in their reporting before they publish anything. Even Bolton said he knew as far back as March 2019 about the bounties. That is over a year, if one is to believe Bolton. But, of course, we can not because king MAGA says he is fake and a liar.

Interesting that literally everyone who speaks out against king MAGA is fake and a liar. Imagine having that much lying and fake going on against one person......

BN747

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 am

LittleFokker wrote:
FGITD wrote:

I agree with what you're saying. But since Republicans refuse to believe that Trump is in Putin's pocket and wiped their ass with the Mueller report, I can't imagine this story affecting any change. I hope I am proven wrong though.

Ah yes...

https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-c ... b__700.jpg

...you said it!

BN747

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:09 am

Why would Russians need to incentivise Afghans to kill Americans? Afghans have been killing Americans for nearly 20 years without any bonus plans in place. This doesn't ring true, despite everyone not liking Russians but think about how stupid this looks??

anrec80

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:27 am

seb146 wrote:
Many perceived "left wing" outlets must be absolutely secure in their reporting before they publish anything. Even Bolton said he knew as far back as March 2019 about the bounties. That is over a year, if one is to believe Bolton. But, of course, we can not because king MAGA says he is fake and a liar.

Has Bolton written anything about this in his recent book, if he knew it all the way back in March? And why he pops up now, right after the article? That’s kind of important to include there.

tommy1808

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Why would Russians need to incentivise Afghans to kill Americans?T

because

Afghans have been killing Americans for nearly 20 years without any bonus plans in place.

would have stopped if Taliban and the US could hammer our a peace treaty, and IFOR would probably stay in place if that happened.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

seb146

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:09 pm

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Has Bolton written anything about this in his recent book, if he knew it all the way back in March? And why he pops up now, right after the article? That’s kind of important to include there.

Bolton's book is about the chaos inside the White House and how the leader is there just to inflate his own ego. The book is not about lapses in national security by dear leader but, rather, the disconnect he has and how insane he is. I get what you are saying.

https://time.com/5860939/john-bolton-tr ... us-troops/

Bolton hints that not all intelligence is shared with the president "especially... this president" and that "active Russian aggression like that against American servicemen is a very, very serious matter,"

casinterest

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Now Bolton is saying he briefed the president on this issue last year.

https://apnews.com/425e43fa0ffdd6e126c5171653ec47d1

officials in the White House were aware in early 2019 of classified intelligence indicating Russia was secretly offering bounties to the Taliban for the deaths of Americans, a full year earlier than has been previously reported, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence.

The assessment was included in at least one of President Donald Trump’s written daily intelligence briefings at the time, according to the officials. Then-national security adviser John Bolton also told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence assessment in March 2019.

MaverickM11

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm

casinterest wrote:

officials in the White House were aware in early 2019 of classified intelligence indicating Russia was secretly offering bounties to the Taliban for the deaths of Americans, a full year earlier than has been previously reported, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence.

The assessment was included in at least one of President Donald Trump’s written daily intelligence briefings at the time, according to the officials. Then-national security adviser John Bolton also told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence assessment in March 2019.

Well as long as no one is kneeling for the flag, That would really offend the troops!

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

For a man and administration that traffics almost entirely in transparent lies, half truths, and "many people tell me" nonsense all the time, it's a bit rich how many sources are required and their motivations questioned to establish something they're not even denying. For crying out loud, for all the scaremongering about antifa this administration whoops up, the only thing they keep finding is more nazi and white supremacist Trump supporters, but no antifa :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

casinterest

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Well as long as no one is kneeling for the flag, That would really offend the troops!

Troops are offended, and the Lincoln Project has created an ad that probably won't make TV.

https://youtu.be/nytBEWbwOkw

BN747

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 pm

casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Troops are offended, and the Lincoln Project has created an ad that probably won't make TV.

Oh man, that Ad had better make it on tv, well being on YT is like tv nowadays so it's getting plenty of screen views!

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

For a man and administration that traffics almost entirely in transparent lies, half truths, and "many people tell me" nonsense all the time, it's a bit rich how many sources are required and their motivations questioned to establish something they're not even denying. For crying out loud, for all the scaremongering about antifa this administration whoops up, the only thing they keep finding is more nazi and white supremacist Trump supporters, but no antifa :rotfl:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: down the line!

https://preview.redd.it/3bk1czddfw751.j ... 843f66ca95

Yeah, just don't do that commie peaceful kneeling protest crap...that really pisses us off! /s

Cognizant Dissonance...it's not for those who actually use their brains and apply logic where ever, whenever needed.

BN747

BN747

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:31 pm

casinterest wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Just aired on MSNBC, I did a REW to see it again on tv and the bleeped the caca word, but they are airing it...I'm sure Fox doesn't have stones to air that....unless he attacks them (again) in the next 72 hours.

BN747

LMP737

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:55 pm

afcjets wrote:

Or maybe do like Joe and Obama and drop a billion dollars from the sky to help fund the bounties. :scratchchin:

Now that's something Trump would latch onto as it fits his worldview. Notice how dismissive he is of this yet will latch onto all kinds of wacko conspiracy theories.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

casinterest

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian ... ies-2020-6

Even NATO knew about the bounty.

Three NATO officials say they had been briefed on intelligence that Russian operatives were secretly offering cash bounties to Taliban-linked militants for US casualties in Afghanistan — as President Donald Trump claimed he was not, and dismissed news reports on the intelligence as a "possibly another fabricated Russia Hoax."

https://www.voanews.com/usa/fully-brief ... media-hoax

In a series of early morning tweets Wednesday, the president called media reports about the intelligence “just another HOAX!” and said the source for the original report in The New York Times “probably does not even exist.”

apodino

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:25 pm

There is something not right about this story. Al Qaeda and the Taliban want to kill American Troops in any event, so to me it seems odd that Russia would need to put a bounty on someone's head to make this happen. Kyle Kulinski, who is a very progressive radio talk show host from the AOC wing of the Progressive movement, did a great piece on this on his show yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys2RdpK7bC4

What this looks like to me is this. Trump announced that he wants to pull troops out of Afghanistan. The Military-Industrial complex doesn't like this, as many people have gotten rich and made a lot of money off of our presence in Afghanistan, and the US really has nothing to show for it. Because they rely on a continued presence for their own gain, something like this comes out so that the Hawks on both sides now scream that we have to stay in Afghanistan because of this. Even more scary on this is something that Senator Ben Sasse, a republican from Nebraska, said about this the other day.

Sasse said the second question is “What is our plan to impose proportional response on our enemies in this battle?”
He said such a response “would mean Taliban and GRU agents in body bags.”

So let me get this straight? Sasse wants to kill more GRU and Taliban? To me, this is unconscionable, and very scary. Ben Sasse is literally warmongering here.

Trump needs to address this somehow. And what worries me is why we are so focused on this, when we have a pandemic at home that is literally killing thousands of Americans.

apodino

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 pm

One more thing I will add. Trump announced plans to withdraw troops from Afghanistan at the end of 2018, and supposedly he started getting briefed on these bounties in early 2019. Coincidence? You be the judge.

Newark727

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:19 am

apodino wrote:
There is something not right about this story. Al Qaeda and the Taliban want to kill American Troops in any event, so to me it seems odd that Russia would need to put a bounty on someone's head to make this happen.

Skepticism is justified for extraordinary stories like this one, but I'm not sure I see the problem here? The Taliban certainly have all kinds of uses for hard currency, and Russia has plenty of incentive to keep the U.S. and the Taliban at loggerheads.

apodino

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:29 am

Newark727 wrote:
apodino wrote:
There is something not right about this story. Al Qaeda and the Taliban want to kill American Troops in any event, so to me it seems odd that Russia would need to put a bounty on someone's head to make this happen.

Skepticism is justified for extraordinary stories like this one, but I'm not sure I see the problem here? The Taliban certainly have all kinds of uses for hard currency, and Russia has plenty of incentive to keep the U.S. and the Taliban at loggerheads.

That is true, but why would Russia spend any money on something that they are going to get for free anyways? Yes a conflict between the Taliban and the US benefits Russia, but if you are Russia you know that the Taliban is going to kill Americans anyways. Why would you spend money on it?

Newark727

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:38 am

apodino wrote:
That is true, but why would Russia spend any money on something that they are going to get for free anyways? Yes a conflict between the Taliban and the US benefits Russia, but if you are Russia you know that the Taliban is going to kill Americans anyways. Why would you spend money on it?

Complicates cease-fire negotiations, helps the Taliban kill Americans better, keeps a historic enemy on the payroll instead of wandering off and meddling in Russian interests somewhere else?

Look, this still could be hooey - and we have to be careful about anything that confirms our pre-existing biases. But it seems to have passed the sniff test for a lot of people before it broke publicly, and not all the dirtbag antics that this Russian military intelligence unit apparently got up to are extremely rational expressions of state interest.

alfa164

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:39 am

apodino wrote:

You really need to put away your tin-foil hat. If Russia wanted to stir things up - and, obviously, they do - that had to bribe the Taliban fighters individually, because the Taliban leadership had agreed to a cease-fire (ergo, they were not killing Americans) while negotiations with the USA proceeded. Also obvious is the fact that Russia would not want those talks to succeed - and their modocum of influence in the country lessened even from its current level... and thus their bribery makes sense.

See... no conspiracy - at least, no conspiracy involving anyone other the Russia and the Taliban fighters.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

alfa164

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:00 am

casinterest wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-bounty-us-soldiers-afghanistan-nato-officials-briefed-trump-denies-2020-6
Even NATO knew about the bounty.
Three NATO officials say they had been briefed on intelligence that Russian operatives were secretly offering cash bounties to Taliban-linked militants for US casualties in Afghanistan — as President Donald Trump claimed he was not, and dismissed news reports on the intelligence as a "possibly another fabricated Russia Hoax."

https://www.voanews.com/usa/fully-brief ... media-hoax
In a series of early morning tweets Wednesday, the president called media reports about the intelligence “just another HOAX!” and said the source for the original report in The New York Times “probably does not even exist.”

Even Pompeo admits the story is real, but claims, "...we handle it appropriately".

"Meanwhile, Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, insisted that the Russian threat in Afghanistan was real and had been properly addressed, implying the president had been kept informed. “We took this seriously; we handle it appropriately,” Pompeo, a former CIA director, told reporters. “The president has been consistently aware of the challenges that Russia presents to us and he is aware of the risk in Afghanistan."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/01/cia-official-trump-russia-bounty-robert-o-brien

tommy1808

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 am

apodino wrote:
There is something not right about this story. Al Qaeda and the Taliban want to kill American Troops in any event, so to me it seems odd that Russia would need to put a bounty on someone's head to make this happen

There where peace negotiations. They absolutely needed to be bribed to kill US troops.

Trump needs to address this somehow. And what worries me is why we are so focused on this, .

Trump has 3.5 years of consistently showing he can´t focus on anything. He has also made absolutely clear he doesn´t care how many Americans get killed by Covid-19.
Heck, he is actively trying to kick Americans of their health insurance and to make sure that few, if any, Covid-survivors can ever get or afford healthcare ever again.

best regards
Thomas

sierrakilo44

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:36 am

apodino wrote:
Even more scary on this is something that Senator Ben Sasse, a republican from Nebraska, said about this the other day.

Sasse said the second question is “What is our plan to impose proportional response on our enemies in this battle?”
He said such a response “would mean Taliban and GRU agents in body bags.”

So let me get this straight? Sasse wants to kill more GRU and Taliban? To me, this is unconscionable, and very scary. Ben Sasse is literally warmongering here.

Not just Ben Sasse, we’ve also got a Senator by the name of Liz Cheney (yes, the daughter of one of the planet’s biggest war criminals) calling for a “swift and deadly response to anyone involved with this alleged incident.

Will she follow in her father’s footsteps and push for a troop surge in Afghanistan? An invasion of somewhere connected to Russia? Cruise missiles fired at Moscow? What “deadly response” will satisfy her bloodlust?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 93711.html

What I find incredulous is that American Senators are so loudly and brazenly calling for Russians to die after this unverified piece of intelligence about Russians possibly giving money to the Taliban was leaked. After hearing those words from American politicians is the Russian government justified in taking precautionary action?

tommy1808

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Russians to die after this unverified piece of intelligence about Russians possibly giving money to the Taliban was leaked

It is verified enough for everybody else to react to it, und by multible sources.

Will she follow in her father’s footsteps and push for a troop surge in Afghanistan? An invasion of somewhere connected to Russia? Cruise missiles fired at Moscow?

I guess the easiest one would to arrange a Russian Navy ship having an accident, just like the only dock able to service their only carrier had a inkonvenient accident after Russia´s WMD attack on the UK.

best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:07 am

casinterest wrote:

Well, Trump doesn't read, so unless it was presented in three or fewer pictures, it's very possible he willingly didn't know about it.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

jetwet1

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:21 am

I am going to play devils advocate here.......

The middle and upper management of the US government has had 3 1/2 years of Trump beating the crap out of them, especially the intelligence community, is it beyond them to set this whole thing up ? Do they have the resources (money and connections) to make this happen ? Has Trump annoyed enough of them in the right places to put this set up into action ???

Honestly, I think yes to all of the above, as I told a close friend of mine a couple of years ago, the real power of the government isn't in the White House, the Senate or Congress, it's in middle management, the people that actually do and get things done, they know a President is only for 4-8 years, they will be their for decades, they are the ones that you need on your side or they will find ways to make your life hell.

Now, if I happen to be blowing hot air out of my butt and Russia did do this AND Trump knew about it, that's a very dangerous game to be playing for Trump and his companies future.

tommy1808

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:18 am

jetwet1 wrote:

The middle and upper management of the US government has had 3 1/2 years of Trump beating the crap out of them, especially the intelligence community, is it beyond them to set this whole thing up ? Do they have the resources (money and connections) to make this happen ? Has Trump annoyed enough of them in the right places to put this set up into action ???

A conspiracy across multiple agencies from field officer up to management? Now that seems unlikely from the get go. And better to drop that bomb mid/end of October....

If they wanted to get him, leaking the Ukraine call transcript would have been much easier.

Best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:53 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

Honestly, I think yes to all of the above, as I told a close friend of mine a couple of years ago, the real power of the government isn't in the White House, the Senate or Congress, it's in middle management, the people that actually do and get things done, they know a President is only for 4-8 years, they will be their for decades, they are the ones that you need on your side or they will find ways to make your life hell.

Now, if I happen to be blowing hot air out of my butt and Russia did do this AND Trump knew about it, that's a very dangerous game to be playing for Trump and his companies future.

What I thinks is more likely is that Trump was too busy watching Fox News, and being involved in his Twitter wars to actually pay attention to intelligence briefings. That or he was worring about the weather when making plans for which house to go to for the weekend to play golf.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:15 pm

The president thinks he is the CEO of the US. But the position of President is not at all comparable to a CEO. The constitution clearly puts some of whatever 'sovereignty' is with the Senate, House of Representatives, States, and Indian Tribes.

note, isn't sovereighty somewhere said to reside with the people of the US, not even citizens as I remember

post note, what idiots call the deep state is simply the momentum of a huge governmental apparatus. As Paul Krugman has noted the apparatus does two things better than private industry: Armed Forces and Insurance. I would add land management.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

alfa164

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:07 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Not just Ben Sasse, we’ve also got a Senator by the name of Liz Cheney (yes, the daughter of one of the planet’s biggest war criminals) calling for a “swift and deadly response to anyone involved with this alleged incident.

Liz Cheney is not a Senator; she is a member of the House of Representatives.

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Will she follow in her father’s footsteps and push for a troop surge in Afghanistan? An invasion of somewhere connected to Russia? Cruise missiles fired at Moscow? What “deadly response” will satisfy her bloodlust?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 93711.html
What I find incredulous is that American Senators are so loudly and brazenly calling for Russians to die after this unverified piece of intelligence about Russians possibly giving money to the Taliban was leaked. After hearing those words from American politicians is the Russian government justified in taking precautionary action?

So... you seem to think it is fine for the Russians to target U.S. troops - using paid surrogates to kill them - but think the U.S. should sit on its hands and watch. I suppose that would make it easier for Trump Tower in Moscow to go forward...

:roll:

tommy1808 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
Russians to die after this unverified piece of intelligence about Russians possibly giving money to the Taliban was leaked

It is verified enough for everybody else to react to it, und by multible sources.

:checkmark: But the Russian propaganda machine is in full swing.... trying to discredit it...

seb146

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:45 pm

Someone out in cyber space made an interesting observation:

Benghazi was investigated for years and years because Hillary hates the troops and Benghazi happened on her watch and she went to bed when it happened so that proves she needed to pay but there is evidence now that the king of the MAGAs was told of this bounty system by Putin and Republicans are saying "let's not jump to any conclusions. It is just a rumor. Fake news."

tommy1808

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:26 pm

seb146 wrote:
Someone out in cyber space made an interesting observation:

Benghazi was investigated for years and years because Hillary hates the troops and Benghazi happened on her watch and she went to bed when it happened so that proves she needed to pay but there is evidence now that the king of the MAGAs was told of this bounty system by Putin and Republicans are saying "let's not jump to any conclusions. It is just a rumor. Fake news."

Keep in mind that the RNC servers where also hacked when the DNC was, and Russia is still sitting on those emails. And release them to the media and/or law enforcement whenever it serves them, and all the GOP players know that.

Best regards
Thomas

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:27 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

not really, it may have moved up the timeline, but the USSR was economically doomed before he was sworn in.
Incidentally he did set up his own country for bankcruptcy.

best regards
Thomas

Indeed. Aaron makes some good points. But had not the CCCP rushed to transition to a more open market economy, and made a slower transition a la China, it would easily have been 42 or even 43 in office at the time of the Soviet collapse. As well, it would have been disastrous for the US as well. We were well on our way to a financial catastrophe WRT our own military spending.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

BN747

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:10 am

Americans considered Pariahs in Europe...it took an extraordinary idiot to make that happen and he's on his way making our former Allies feel a whole lot less secure to evil grin smirking dipshit in Moscow.

Only the Libs can pull us out of this nose dive toward Global Calamity.

The otherside is all for selling America for Rubles just so they can keep the Confederacy alive.

BN747