Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Name change for John Wayne Airport (SNA) ?

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Some Democratic Party politicians in California are asking that the name of John Wayne Airport (SNA) be changed because of documented and severe by our times expressions of racism by the well known actor. That took place in 1979, shortly after the actor's death. I don't know of what would be the new name, like to Santa Ana or Orange County Airport or an original name which was that of an early pilot and private developer of the site, later taken over by the Orange County, CA government I put this here as a political issue.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pol ... 22654.html

LabQuest

Re: Name change for John Wayne Airport (SNA) ?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 am

I think all airports, streets, and all other public things just be numbers. No controversy.

Take road 11 to airport 457 and once you land at airport 8543 take road 23412 to 23676 and then you'll be there. Zero offense.

BN747

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:26 am

LabQuest wrote:
I think all airports, streets, and all other public things just be numbers. No controversy.

Take road 11 to airport 457 and once you land at airport 8543 take road 23412 to 23676 and then you'll be there. Zero offense.

Screw offense, if the guy was a turd (see John Wayne's racist remarks) there is nothing honorable to be memorialized - remove it.

Reagan's name needs to be removed from DCA because of his numbskull move of firing all Air Traffic Controllers in a single shot jeopardizing public safety versus a union busting move...then get's a premiere US airport named after him, that's a huge slap in the face, no two ways about it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

WN732

Proposal to rename John Wayne Airport (SNA)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:29 am

California politicians have decided that they need to change the name of John Wayne Airport.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnew ... enamed.amp

So far it appears that it will return to "Orange County Airport."

werba

Re: John Wayne Airport (SNA) to be renamed.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 am

If you read the complete article, the Democrat Party of Orange County is asking the OC Board of Supervisors to bring back the original name of Orange County.

Not a done deal, I hope the name is left alone.

Revelation

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:38 am

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

md11sdf

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:38 am

Let me guess... John Wayne was a White Man who loved women and smoked cigarettes, therefore his image is threatening to triggered So-Cal snowflakes!!
I'm from So-Cal by the way.
LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY: Where your camera looks just like a stinger missile to the Airport Police!!

SANAV8R

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:44 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1416395&hilit=John+Wayne+John+Wayne+name+change

There was a discussion about this in February 2019. Stemming from his comments on race many years ago.

He was a subpar cowboy actor, outspoken racist and homophobe, living in a exclusionary beach side community who fought against the airport.

Orange County is an economically and ethnically diverse community, a far cry from the OC of Wayne’s era.

Never understood why they named the airport after him
Last edited by SANAV8R on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're either gonna love me or hate me. There is no in between with me.

enilria

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:46 am

SANAV8R wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1416395&hilit=John+Wayne+John+Wayne+name+change

There was a discussion about this in February 2019. Stemming from his comments on race many years ago.

He was a subpar cowboy actor with outdated views on race, living in a exclusionary beach side community who fought against the airport. Never understood why they named the airport after him

I thought everybody around it fights against the airport. That’s why they have the crazy flight limits.

Newark727

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:47 am

Honestly, John Wayne always seemed to me like kind of a strange namesake for an airport in the first place, and that was my impression when I came to SoCal back in the 1990s. I guess I'm mostly too young to have seen much of his cultural impact?

CarlosSi

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:50 am

Lol I thought he hated the airport, so I heard.

robsaw

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:08 am

md11sdf wrote:
Let me guess... John Wayne was a White Man who loved women and smoked cigarettes, therefore his image is threatening to triggered So-Cal snowflakes!!

Maybe the "snowflakes" have to care extra to make up for the lack of empathy embraced by those choosing to use "snowflakes" as an insult.

As others have pointed out - the issue is his racist (predominantly) and homophobic (maybe) comments. Some have argued that his comments from a 50 yr-old interview were "taken out of context". How does context alter the following statements:

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility"
“They were allowed in public schools wherever I’ve been,” (ignoring the official segregation common at the time)
"the forceful seizure of their land was justified because Native Americans “were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves".”

Whether than justifies removing his name from an airport is a political question but it isn't based upon his hetrosexuality or smokng.

lhpdx

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:23 am

robsaw wrote:
md11sdf wrote:

Maybe the "snowflakes" have to care extra to make up for the lack of empathy embraced by those choosing to use "snowflakes" as an insult.

As others have pointed out - the issue is his racist (predominantly) and homophobic (maybe) comments. Some have argued that his comments from a 50 yr-old interview were "taken out of context". How does context alter the following statements:

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility"
“They were allowed in public schools wherever I’ve been,” (ignoring the official segregation common at the time)
"the forceful seizure of their land was justified because Native Americans “were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves".”

Whether than justifies removing his name from an airport is a political question but it isn't based upon his hetrosexuality or smokng.

Wow, John Wayne was a piece of work............. I didn't realize how racist he was................

NameOmitted

Re: Proposal to rename John Wayne Airport (SNA)

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 am

Let airports be named with boring names that describe the areas they serve.

N292UX

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:39 am

Kobe Bryant Airport. Make it happen.

Revelation

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:41 am

SANAV8R wrote:

Money makes the world go 'round.

I presume they felt they would make the most money this way.

I doubt most people below the age of 50 even know who he is these days.

N292UX wrote:

Great idea. Now let's see in 20-30 years if people remember who he is.

S0Y

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:52 am

Revelation wrote:
SANAV8R wrote:

Money makes the world go 'round.

I presume they felt they would make the most money this way.

Thinking of it that way, why not sell the naming rights and generate an income stream. Sports teams do it all the time.

Chemist

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 am

I've always thought it stupid to name airports after actors anyway. Glad Bob Hope airport name was changed back to Hollywood-Burbank. Would be nice to get rid of the John Wayne name on SNA.

capejet

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:05 am

If the Wright Brothers do not have an airport named after them, then no one else should either.

Wingtips56

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:06 am

Naming the building (terminal) is one thing, but the airport name should identify it's location. Having worked early on for "OC "Air California/AirCal, SNA will always be Orange County Airport to me, and I still called it only that after they put the John Wayne name on it. On one of my furloughs out of SMF, I worked at LAS, aka McCarran International Airport. It struck me at the time, with all the airport naming craze going on, that one of the flights I worked ran from Henry "Scoop" Jackson, to Cannon, to McCarran to John Wayne. Or, if a customer wanted to get where they were going, it was Seattle/Tacoma, Reno, Las Vegas, Orange County.
For the record, I stuck with Hollywood-Burbank, Washington/National and Houston/Intercontinental for the same reasons.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

gaystudpilot

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:09 am

Big believer in airports being named after the geographic area served.

Did anyone ever call SNA “John Wayne Airport”? “Orange County”, yes.

Does anyone even know what BUR’s current name is? Through the all names used, everyone I know called it “Burbank“.

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:09 am

Revelation wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Kobe wasn't your normal good athlete. He was just as instrumental to basketball in the modern age as Michael Jordan and very inspirational to my generation. He will be remembered for decades just like John Wayne. Besides I'd love to tell "Kobe!" on takeoff and touchdown in SNA :)

Plus in 20-30 years, we can throw in SNA on the future a.net "airports named after people who passed in aviation accidents" threads.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

SuseJ772

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Revelation wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Kobe wasn't your normal good athlete. He was just as instrumental to basketball in the modern age as Michael Jordan and very inspirational to my generation. He will be remembered for decades just like John Wayne. Besides I'd love to tell "Kobe!" on takeoff and touchdown in SNA :)

Plus in 20-30 years, we can throw in SNA on the future a.net "airports named after people who passed in aviation accidents" threads.

While his death is tragic, and he certainly was a great athlete, let’s not forget he raped a girl in Colorado and paid her off. If John Wayne doesn’t deserve an airport named after him (which I have no opinion of that), certainly Kobe doesn’t either.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

flyguy89

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 am

How about we just stop naming airports after people?

Revelation

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:39 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Revelation wrote:
N292UX wrote:

You are obviously younger than me and more of a basketball fan than I am, so I'll take your word for it.

Conversely, you'll have to take my word for how memories fade faster as you get older! :D

We're just better at forgetting stuff. We have to be. Our head is only one size so if we don't start forgetting things our heads would explode! :D

I wonder how the OC "power structure" would feel about using Kobe's name, and wonder if his family would endorse it.

SuseJ772 wrote:
While his death is tragic, and he certainly was a great athlete, let’s not forget he raped a girl in Colorado and paid her off. If John Wayne doesn’t deserve an airport named after him (which I have no opinion of that), certainly Kobe doesn’t either.

Definitely a big consideration. Would probably need her to agree as well, if that is even possible.

QF7

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:47 am

SNA, Santa Ana. Works for me. I prefer airports that simply say where you’re going.

I rather like the airport, by the way.
QF7

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:53 am

Sen Bobby Byrd was a racist, KKK member and look at the places with his name on the door.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... obert_Byrd

sldispatcher

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:59 am

Removing names and statues and trying to erase names from history is what communist countries do.
I'm not the biggest fan of naming airports after people either because once one does it then so many others stumble over themselves to do the same thing.

With all of the issues facing the world today, is the name on an airport, a Princeton institute, a street, etc. worth the effort and the very real but steadily growing resentment the last 3 weeks have been stirring in a quiet, but large majority?

Municipalities would be better served right now if the politics was about preserving air service levels as best as possible than trying to gain a few political brownie points that have a very short shelf life.

whisperjet727

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:04 am

I never understood the fascination with Americans naming airports after people. Isn’t Atlanta’s airport now officially named after three people while everyone just calls it Atlanta.

alasizon

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:12 am

gaystudpilot wrote:

I hear maybe a couple hundred people a year call it John Wayne but far more people call it Santa Ana as opposed to Orange County. Or more often than not, the Jeff Dunham pronunciation of Santa Ana.

gaystudpilot wrote:
Does anyone even know what BUR’s current name is? Through the all names used, everyone I know called it “Burbank“.

Hollywood-Burbank Airport but everyone either calls it Burbank or Bob Hope.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

FTMCPIUS

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:14 am

whisperjet727 wrote:
I never understood the fascination with Americans naming airports after people. Isn’t Atlanta’s airport now officially named after three people while everyone just calls it Atlanta.

Bill and Hillary Clinton International Airport :lol:

kalvado

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:17 am

whisperjet727 wrote:

It's not limited to airports. Anything prominent enough to have a room for a plaque tends to get one. I didn't see any street restrooms named after someone yet, but I am sure it's a matter of time.

atcanobbio

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:18 am

sldispatcher wrote:
Removing names and statues and trying to erase names from history is what communist countries do.
I'm not the biggest fan of naming airports after people either because once one does it then so many others stumble over themselves to do the same thing.

removing statues does not mean history is being erased. History is not taught through statues. They just represent a time and place. I think it's OK to take down statues from time to time, especially when the values of a society are not represented by the statue or name.

wetpantsmcgee

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:25 am

alasizon wrote:
gaystudpilot wrote:

I hear maybe a couple hundred people a year call it John Wayne but far more people call it Santa Ana as opposed to Orange County. Or more often than not, the Jeff Dunham pronunciation of Santa Ana.

I lived in Orange County for over 35 years and no one ever called it anything but John Wayne.

jonair8

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:39 am

What the John Wayne airport is today should've been changed to El Toro Airport a long time ago... oh wait :duck:

BN747

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:54 am

Just because an actor made your youth by depicting a wild west that was far worst than Hollywood portrayed the reality...who did it serve?

Did Native Americans idolized John Wayne movies?

Did the original Californians and Texas (aka Mexicans) idolize him?

No..only whites who romanticized (but would not give their lives to go back and live it in it's reality - no one single person would take that option.
Nut cases like that idiot kid Jonty Bravery (UK) who announced his intent to be in the news - went on to toss a 6 year old French kid from a 10 story building (he miraculuosluy survived but injured for life) ..twisted sick minds like that would love to go play real wild west only to be slaughtered within the 1st minutes of playing tough guy.

John Wayne was no more real than Pinnocchio, just screened entertainment - that's it. Naming the airport after Pinnocchio is no different except Pinnocchio enetertained kids worldwide and taught them the virtue to honesty (still doing it for adults in Geico commercials)...

But yeah SNA or Orange County International anything thing suitable and sane is fair game and sensible. But they should have ceased El Toro MCAS and moved the airport there where it would be a flourishing less restrictive airport operation than it is today IMHO. But they blew that opportunity.

Name it anything but enough with these seriously flawed idols. Wayne lived during a time (he died in 1979) when extraordinary ignorance from a man or woman (Anita Bryant) of that stature was purely by choice...no excuses period.

Even if this action falls short, that name will come down in the not to distant future - the nation, however uncomfortable, is re-adjusting and correcting itself.

Yes it is politically correcting but that is social and political correctness is all about - righting what was done wrong because some people 'felt good' with regard of millions of others.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

NWAESC

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:58 am

I know it’s beside the point here, but Does anyone actually refer to it as “John Wayne?” I think renaming it would be kind of a nonissue.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

seb146

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:58 am

flyguy89 wrote:
How about we just stop naming airports after people?

This is an excellent idea.

I get that Louis Armstrong was a huge influence on New Orleans and music. I get that Ronald Reagan was a huge influence in Republican politics and evangelicals. I get that Harvey Milk was a huge influence in San Francisco and LGBTQ+ equality. Put a plaque in a heavily traveled corridor.

BTW, take a look at the Reagan Legacy Project trying to canonize St. Ronnie

https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/politics ... index.html

For some reason.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

qf789

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:59 am

Could we please just discuss the topic without the flamebait and trying to provoke one another, in other words keep it civil
Forum Moderator

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:59 am

In this case, time to remove the name of Bill and Hillary Clinton airport at LIT then. They’ve done things 1000x worst than John Wayne ever did.

Aaron747

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:03 am

NWAESC wrote:
I know it’s beside the point here, but Does anyone actually refer to it as “John Wayne?” I think renaming it would be kind of a nonissue.

Agreed - Santa Ana / Orange County is a far better name anyway because DUH it tells people where the airport is. This does create a bit of an issue for NY I suppose - LGA would have to be something like 'New York Riverside Airport' and JFK 'New York International at Jamaica Bay' LOL
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dstblj52

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:04 am

whisperjet727 wrote:

No Atlanta is named after two people William B Hartsfield and Meynard Jackson two mayors of the city of Atlanta who fought very prominently for the airport and its growth which if your going to name an airport after somebody seems like a better reason then most

Utah744

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:35 am

Sounds like OC has Pilgrims on their board.
You are never too old to learn something stupid

sixfootscream

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:36 am

atcanobbio wrote:
sldispatcher wrote:

removing statues does not mean history is being erased. History is not taught through statues. They just represent a time and place. I think it's OK to take down statues from time to time, especially when the values of a society are not represented by the statue or name.

No it is not okay to remove statues. Especially not when it is to give into a small and loud minority. Also not when these values are retarded and full of marxist ideology.

P.S I don't want Karl Marxes statues removed either.

wnflyguy

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 am

Orange County Eddie Martin International Airport.
Orange County Walt Disney International Airport!
Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:44 am

Orange County Trump Airport. OCT Airport, nice ring to it.

afcjets

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:53 am

NWAESC wrote:

Not much anymore but a long time ago it was almost exclusively referred to as John Wayne airport. I am surprised the SJWs haven't already tried to remove his statue near the baggage claim area.

argentinevol98

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:54 am

Well this thread is kind of going off the rails...
In my opinion the John Wayne name never made much sense regardless of racist and homophobic statements made by the man himself. Everything I've heard is he was fairly loudly opposed to the airport itself, the noise it produced and any expansion efforts. That, itself, makes the name strange. A tad like YUL being named after Pierre Trudeau (please no one take this as a comparison between the two men. Clearly, their views and politics on many issues were very different. That's not my point).
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

intotheair

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:04 am

My vote is to call it Sandy Cohen OC Airport. :duck:
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

TSS

Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:23 am

argentinevol98 wrote:
Well this thread is kind of going off the rails...
In my opinion the John Wayne name never made much sense regardless of racist and homophobic statements made by the man himself. Everything I've heard is he was fairly loudly opposed to the airport itself, the noise it produced and any expansion efforts. That, itself, makes the name strange.

Hmmm... Perhaps the airport was named after him as a big post mortem middle finger to the man who was opposed to the airport on every front while he was alive? If that is the case it's a clever move, ironically honoring someone in death with a gesture that would have really pissed them off in life. If that is indeed the case, then wouldn't it give "The Duke" himself the last laugh to finally have his name and statue removed from the airport he so strongly disapproved of?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!