Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Bernstein on Trump: Reveals rowdy and unprepared conversations

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:21 am

Reveals rowdy and unprepared conversations

Watergate veteran Carl Bernstein has taken a deep dive into the graded talks US President Donald Trump has had with other heads of state. The picture he draws is appalling.

In a long article on CNN's website, Bernstein goes through hundreds of phone calls Trump has had with other heads of state based on sources around both Trump and other heads of state. Bernstein has interviewed a large number of sources repeatedly over a period of four months until June this year.

The main finding is that Trump was so consistently unprepared to discuss serious issues and was often played by powerful and experienced leaders such as Russia's Vladimir Putin and Turkey's President Recep Erdogan. He is also said to have been shockingly rowdy and unfriendly with allied leaders, especially women such as Germany's Angela Merkel and Britain's former prime minister, Teresa May.

The phone calls was so problematic that Trump's former national security adviser H.R. McMasters and John Bolton, as well as former Secretary of Defense James Mattis, former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and former Chief of Staff John Kelly concluded that Trump often had "delusions", according to Bernstein's sources.

They claim Trump thought he could either charm or use rogue behavior to get his will. And often he wanted to have an agenda that was more about his personal desires than many of his senior advisers considered to be in the US interest.

Putin talked for a long time and charmed Trump. Trump made small outbursts of boast and self-congratulations and in addition praised Putin. Both Kushner and Ivanka was immediately overwhelmed by how well the conversation went, while Tillerson, Hill and McMaster, who all had far better knowledge of Putin, were far more skeptical.

Trump interrupted Hill as she tried to describe some of the nuances in Putin's attempt to charm. Instead, he wanted to hear from the daughter and son-in-law about how good the conversation had been.

The head of state, which, according to CNN, has had the most telephone conversations with Trump, is Turkeys Erdogan. Sometimes he called the White House twice a week. Trump also ordered to let him through immediately when he called, according to Bernstein.

At the same time, he has been anything but pleasant with the US allies. He told May that she was weak and lacking courage.

He also told Merkel that she was "stupid".

- Some of the things he said to Angela Merkel were absolutely incredible. He called her "stupid" and accused her of being in the pocket of the Russians. He is toughest with those he views as weak, and weakest with those he should be tough with, says one source.

According to Bernstein's sources, Merkel had been calm, while May had been "flustered and nervous".

Trump also boasted to other heads of state how rich he was, how brilliant he himself is, and everything he had achieved as president, as well as how "idiotic" his predecessors were. Among those he boasted were Saudi Arabia's notorious Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman and North Korea's dictator Kim Jong-un

In addition to the poor treatment of Merkel and May, Trump has also been hostile and aggressive in talks with France's Emmanuel Macron, Canada's Justin Trudeau and Australia's Scott Morrison, Bernstein writes.

https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/avslor ... r/72619447

Please read the article on CNN here. Only excerpts from Norwegian newspaper above:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/29/poli ... index.html

A charming man indeed … But not a surprise. It's been clear for a long time what trumps interests is

scbriml

Re: Bernstein on Trump: Reveals rowdy and unprepared conversations

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Shockingly unsurprising for a self-aggrandising egotist. :roll:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 pm

What I find more dismaying, the number of Trump admirers still left.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

alfa164

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
What I find more dismaying, the number of Trump admirers still left.

They have truly become a cult, in the historical sense of the word.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

NIKV69

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Name the sources. I am sick of this anonymous stuff.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Newark727

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

There are numerous former Trump admin. officials who could tell you how unprofessional he is completely on the record.

Aesma

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Also Merkel won't bother to talk to him, there is a reason for that.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

luckyone

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Aesma wrote:
Also Merkel won't bother to talk to him, there is a reason for that.

German pragmatism. Why bother engaging in something pointless.

bennett123

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:00 pm

If he named his sources, they would be fired on the spot.

NIKV69

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 pm

Newark727 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

There are numerous former Trump admin. officials who could tell you how unprofessional he is completely on the record.

I didn't ask for that. I asked for the sources of Bernstein's claims.
I am the Googlizer!!!

moo

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Says the person posting anonymously on an internet forum...

Please reveal your name (with proof of course) so we can make your employer aware of some of the highly questionable things you have said here over the years.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:14 am

moo wrote:

Please reveal your name (with proof of course) so we can make your employer aware of some of the highly questionable things you have said here over the years.

It is a pretty bold assumption there would be an employer involved there...

alfa164 wrote:

They have truly become a cult, in the historical sense of the word.

I am duly curious to see how they will handle it when he drops out of the race.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

scbriml

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:44 am

alfa164 wrote:
They have truly become a cult

Damned autocorrect! :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Francoflier

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the sources.

For those who follow Trump with a modicum of analysis, this is merely further confirmation of the same general picture that has been transpiring from every pore of the White House for almost 4 years now.

For those clutching at straws to defend Trump at all costs, sources and evidence will be abundant and very much forthcoming once this circus moves out of town.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

seb146

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Francoflier wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

For those who follow Trump with a modicum of analysis, this is merely further confirmation of the same general picture that has been transpiring from every pore of the White House for almost 4 years now.

For those clutching at straws to defend Trump at all costs, sources and evidence will be abundant and very much forthcoming once this circus moves out of town.

Go back and look at the best people who have been fired and called all sorts of nasty names just for doing their job. Firing attorneys who dare do their jobs investigating alleged law breaking. Just because Fox or OAN does not report it does not mean it did not happen. Just because the tweeter in chief did not say it does not mean it did not happen.

Nik, go back and look at all the "anonymous" sources that made claims under Obama or GWB or Reagan. They were anonymous at the time for a reason. Same with now.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BN747

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:56 pm

Francoflier wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

No kidding, when you have ex-Exxon CEO & Secy of State calling you a 'moron' compounded and backed up by at least 5 or 6 other high profile close advisers also calling you a moron...guess what? It's far more than likely that said numbers dropping that description are quite accurate in their account.

Who needs proof of anything after that.

Once the Criminal-in-Chief becomes private citizen criminal...he can still make a bundle from his cult cadre.

All he has to is announce a new project to fund (fill in the blank) and say he's putting up $1 Billion BUT needs $2 Billion more for it's launch and how he wants regular people to be partner holders...how many of his loyal fans will cough their hard earned, life savings and line up to give it to him - and he'll take every cent only to turn and say 'Well we tried, but the Dems stopped us..."

Guess how many would take to that...ooh, add in the Mega Pastor contributions. Fastest most bountiful haul on record.

Trust me, he will go that route. He'll dress it in "every ex-preisdent makes speeches and get paid, why shouldn't I?"

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

NIKV69

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:18 pm

BN747 wrote:
All he has to is announce a new project to fund (fill in the blank) and say he's putting up $1 Billion BUT needs $2 Billion more for it's launch and how he wants regular people to be partner holders...how many of his loyal fans will cough their hard earned, life savings and line up to give it to him - and he'll take every cent only to turn and say 'Well we tried, but the Dems stopped us..."

Guess how many would take to that...ooh, add in the Mega Pastor contributions. Fastest most bountiful haul on record.

Trust me, he will go that route. He'll dress it in "every ex-preisdent makes speeches and get paid, why shouldn't I?"

BN747

The money made after office is a big part of the reason everyone runs for office. Nothing new.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Channex757

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 am

Francoflier wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Whenever I see stuff like this (and there's plenty in the unbiased media) I can sum up my thoughts in four words.

He ain't no Reagan....

seb146

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:44 am

NIKV69 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

The money made after office is a big part of the reason everyone runs for office. Nothing new.

The current administration is making big bucks right now while still in office. GWB, Obama, Condi Rice, Colin Powell, etc. get paid for writing a book or speaking. Because they are now private citizens. However, look at all the money being made by the current administration like Ivanka, Junior, Jared, Erik, even the golf courses are making big bucks. Not a day goes by that I don't get at least three emails begging me to buy MAGA brand merch.

No one cares that people make money after office. Lobbying is the usual way they do it. It is a perversion of the Constitution, IMO but it is still way better than this secretive and obstructive administration!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BN747

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:27 am

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

The current administration is making big bucks right now while still in office. GWB, Obama, Condi Rice, Colin Powell, etc. get paid for writing a book or speaking. Because they are now private citizens. However, look at all the money being made by the current administration like Ivanka, Junior, Jared, Erik, even the golf courses are making big bucks. Not a day goes by that I don't get at least three emails begging me to buy MAGA brand merch.

No one cares that people make money after office. Lobbying is the usual way they do it. It is a perversion of the Constitution, IMO but it is still way better than this secretive and obstructive administration!

Me personally I think every president after Truman 'had some game being run by him or his chief of staff' running lobbying scams, schemes to set aside untraceable cash for their bosses) except Jimmy Carter. All of them.

But as you point out, someone in the trump pen recalled Cheney's 'in-your-face' style of grifting (for Halliburton) manage to convince themselves, 'Cheney got away with it..why not us' and
that is why these cretins are running a steam roller over Amolument violations, they know nothung will happen because most (if not all of Congress) as some sort of money making side nods going on. They get totally spazzed out when an insider tries to justify it when the caught with pants down or hand in the cookie like Blagojevich, when he spouted off 'everybody does it'!

The unspeaken rule is don't speak about - ever! And when guys go overboard, like a guy at his 1st sex party goes apeshit because he cannot control himself and conduct himself in a respectable manner or a guy who parks his chair at the All You Can Eat Buffet serving table and never leaves...the regulars get bent out of shape and make sure you are never invited again.

In politics, go too far and you will do jail. trump..NYC is waiting for him to step out of 1600 Penn. Ave to serve him up...and while they wait, Barr knows they're waiting, thus all the SDNY firings and intervention attacks from every angle. Barr knows what is up ahead and he's strategizing how to temper the expected nukes waiting to drop.

We the audience (American public) are suckers to think it'll all play out as the law says it should (aka trial of Individual One) ...there will not be a trial, he will escape that an possibly much more.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Newark727

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:36 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Wasn't that part of the whole "drain the swamp" thing everybody liked to shout at Trump rallies? Heck, wasn't that one of Trump's selling points? Too rich to buy? (As if.)

Aaron747

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:07 am

NIKV69 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

An unrelated fact doesn’t make your amoral apologism okay.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

speedking

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:16 am

Ha! Another Conspiracy Theory from the "Educated".

Aaron747

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:42 am

speedking wrote:

What in tarnation are you on about??
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BN747

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:50 am

Aaron747 wrote:
speedking wrote:

I think he's clueless as to who Letitia James is and why she's sharpening her knives for the carving of the century.

BN747

Revelation

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:38 pm

Mortyman wrote:

Trump also boasted to other heads of state how rich he was, how brilliant he himself is, and everything he had achieved as president, as well as how "idiotic" his predecessors were. Among those he boasted were Saudi Arabia's notorious Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman and North Korea's dictator Kim Jong-un

Why not? Spewing such guff is how he got himself elected. Of course, anyone looking at it objectively can see he's a terrible businessman. He'd be richer if he had invested his inheritance in the S&P 500.

The Saudi Royal Prince must have gotten quite a good laugh out of Trump explaining how rich he is, though.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
speedking wrote:

Just some random anti-intellectualism.

Of course we're far better off being led by the stupid!

At the risk of being branded an intellectual, I'll point out that I am being sarcastic.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own