Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Carl Reiner Dies at Age 98

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Longtime comedy legend Carl Reiner has passed away at the age of 98 and is perhaps best known as the creator of The Dick Van Dyke Show. Very sad to see such a legend pass away.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

stratosphere

Re: Carl Reiner Dies at Age 98

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:04 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Longtime comedy legend Carl Reiner has passed away at the age of 98 and is perhaps best known as the creator of The Dick Van Dyke Show. Very sad to see such a legend pass away.

Well don't like to see any legend go. However, I am not going to be sad about it he lived a gifted and LONG life the likes of which most of us will never get. No one in my family came close to that ripe old age. My dad was 64, mom was 77, brother was 53 and my best friend was killed last week by a drunk driver at 56. I'd say the guy was pretty damn lucky.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 am

stratosphere wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Well don't like to see any legend go. However, I am not going to be sad about it he lived a gifted and LONG life the likes of which most of us will never get. No one in my family came close to that ripe old age. My dad was 64, mom was 77, brother was 53 and my best friend was killed last week by a drunk driver at 56. I'd say the guy was pretty damn lucky.

What do you remember about this particular man?

stratosphere

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:08 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Meathead Rob Reiner is his son that's enough

casinterest

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:43 pm

stratosphere wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Meathead Rob Reiner is his son that's enough

No that is Spinal Tap, Princess Bride. When Harry Met Sally, Rob Reiner.

Carl Reiner helped create some of the greatest films and shows, Directly and Indirectly. We should all be so lucky to live so long.

I am truly sorry about your friends and family.
Where ever you go, there you are.

cjg225

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Love his character Saul in the Ocean's movies.

"When they opened The Flamingo, one day it was closed, the next it was open. I know, I was there." Don't know why, but I've always loved that line.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

ltbewr

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:18 am

A lot of Carl Reiner's work was with Mel Brooks, another comedy legend. They did a series of sketchs called 'The 2000 Year Old Man' with Reiner an interviewer and Brooks the 2000 year old man. You can find a version of it on YouTube. He wrote and performed in a number of 1950's hit variety shows. One of his greatest hits was 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' a sitcom staring the actor of the same name as a comedy show writer like Carl Reiner himself and a early role for Mary Tyler Moore as his wife and several other comedy actors of the time. He produced and wrote several comedy movies, several other TV shows going into the 1990's. One of his greatest legacies is his son, Rob Reiner a successful TV actor and movie director/producer. In an recent interview I saw cited, one of his favorite current actresses is Emma Stone. That he lived to 98 and still had a good mind is great.

727LOVER

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Carl Reiner was the only person to sit on The Tonight Show couch with all 6 hosts.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

LittleFokker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:00 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Carl Reiner was the only person to sit on The Tonight Show couch with all 6 hosts.

Interesting fact. For starters, I didn't know Conan was a host long enough to have Reiner on as a guests. I wonder how many guest hosts during the later years of Carson's run did Reiner sit with? Joan Rivers, Joey Bishop?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:26 am

727LOVER wrote:

he was something else, there are only a handful of great comedians. He was one of them.