Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:11 pm

After an embarrassing false-start in Australia in March, F1 is finally back on track in Austria for the first race in a strange and probably truncated season.

So what's new?

With Covid-19 having taken it's toll, F1 finally gets underway this weekend with a highly revised schedule. As of today, the only confirmed races are:
    Austrian GP, Red Bull Ring, Sun 5th July
    Styrian GP, Red Bull Ring, Sun 12th July
    Hungarian GP, Hungaroring, Sun 17th July
    British GP, Silverstone, Sun 2nd August
    70th Anniversary GP, Silverstone, Sun 9th August
    Spanish GP, Circuit de Catalunya, Sun 16th August
    Belgian GP, Spa, Sun 30th August
    Italian GP, Monza, Sun 6th september

It looks increasingly as though there will be no races in the Americas, with Canada already cancelled and the US, Brazilian and Mexican races all looking very unlikely given the Corona virus situation in those countries.

With the organisers scrambling to arrange additional races, it looks increasingly that we might have a season starting in Europe and finishing in the Middle East with possibly double-events in both Bahrain and Abu Dhabi to close out the season. F1 is still talking about a 15 to 18-race season and hoping to firm up more races in "the next few weeks"

What's the same?

Mercedes still look to be the team to beat. Easily fastest in FP1 and FP2, with main rivals Ferrari and Red Bull not very close.

While Ferrari had already fessed up that their 2020 car was, to put it politely, not great and will be heavily revised for the Hungarian GP.

However, Red Bull would have come into the season with high hopes. With the first three races at circuits where they've performed very well the last couple of seasons, they would have expected to get off to a flyer. Pre-season testing saw a lot of spins for the Red Bull drivers and there were mutterings that something was not right at the back-end of the car. Come the first race weekend and star driver Max Verstappen is still spinning and is an eye-watering 9/10s of a second off the pace of the Mercedes.

By the way, has an F1 car ever looked better than the black Merc?
Image
Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... L9pGC.html
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
mad99
Posts: 1241
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:03 pm

Merc looks to be over half a second faster then the rest.
 
User avatar
Grizzly410
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks for opening this discussion, it's been a while since the last F1 thread !

Mercedes seems to be very fast.
Red Bull have been very quiet during today's free practice but should prrove to be quick.
Ferrari admit having problems and will only bring upgrade for the third race.
Then come McLaren and of course the Pink Mercedes, Racing Point.

I think the F1 Management (FOM?) did a good job adapting the season to the crisis, it's clever to do 2 races in a row on a same track, and they got the team to agree a lot of new rules (dev freezing, tyre distribution rules and more).

scbriml wrote:
By the way, has an F1 car ever looked better than the black Merc?


The Renault is gorgeous too.
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:03 pm

Who will end Mercedes' reign of terror?
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:14 pm

Merc in black is just stunning. As for Red Bull should be pushing Mercedes at times.

Got to see if DAS will be implemented or used on the RB.

I highly doubt they will race in the Americas
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11655
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Well b an interesting season, indeed. Looking forward to the race.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:37 am

PHLspecial wrote:
Merc in black is just stunning. As for Red Bull should be pushing Mercedes at times.

Got to see if DAS will be implemented or used on the RB.

I highly doubt they will race in the Americas


Red Bull, as expected, protested Mercedes DAS system, but after a hearing with both parties present, it was ruled legal. In theory Red Bull could appeal, but I can't see any real value in that. Now it remains to be seen if Red Bull do have their own system, or were they just bluffing?

Detailed report here:
https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-rejec ... s-protest/
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 4952
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am

Grosjean is in the motor sport headlines after coming out as critical that Hamilton can get paid $40Million while other F1 drivers get a $150,000 wage... Im not sure Grosjean is even worth $150,000.

So a mediocre driver with no F1 wins to his name thinks he can have an opinion on what a 6 times World Champion is worth to a team that wants him?
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:47 am

I predict another season of total Mercedes dominance, not least least due to the new DAS technology which will give them a comfortable edge over other teams like RB or Ferrari.
They probably also still have best power unit and the best driver (Hamilton).
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:29 am

moo wrote:
Grosjean is in the motor sport headlines after coming out as critical that Hamilton can get paid $40Million while other F1 drivers get a $150,000 wage... Im not sure Grosjean is even worth $150,000.

So a mediocre driver with no F1 wins to his name thinks he can have an opinion on what a 6 times World Champion is worth to a team that wants him?


Someone send Grosjean a dictionary so he can lookup the word “meritocracy”.

FP3 pretty much confirms what most people thought - Mercedes on top, Verstappen the closest challenger but 3/10s off and the Racing Points a real threat to Ferrari.

This will disappoint a lot of people who expected Mercedes to struggle here, but I would suggest they underperformed at the track for the last two years and that this is more like ‘normal Mercedes’.

Qualifying up in two hours...
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
TheF15Ace
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:09 pm

Image
https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/07/04 ... ualifying/

11) Sebastian Vettel/Ferrari 1.04.206 1.267
12) Pierre Gasly/AlphaTauri-Honda 1.04.305 1.366
13) Daniil Kvyat/AlphaTauri-Honda 1.04.431 1.492
14) Esteban Ocon/Renault 1.04.643 1.704
15) Romain Grosjean/Haas-Ferrari 1.04.691 1.752
16) Kevin Magnussen/Haas-Ferrari 1.05.164 2.225
17) George Russell/Williams-Mercedes 1.05.167 2.228
18) Antonio Giovinazzi/Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari 1.05.175 2.236
19) Kimi Raikkonen/Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari 1.05.224 2.285
20) Nicholas Latifi/Williams-Mercedes 1.05.757 2.818
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11655
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Those Mercedes seem to have the edge this season. That innovation with the stearingwheel and adjusting the tire / suspention settings seem to do the job well. You got to love the loopholes in the regulations.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1450
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:25 pm

I still watch F1 but it's getting less and less interesting than MotoGP.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Well a few shocks in qualifying.

Shock 1 - Hamilton not on pole after dominating all the practice sessions. He's also under investigation for allegedly not slowing when Bottas went off.

Shock 2 - Lando Norris in P4 (might yet be P3!) driving a McLaren. I'll say that again, Lando Norris driving a McLaren in P4!!! :shock:

Shock 3 - Just how bad Ferrari were; 10th & 11th in Q2 with Leclerc ending up just about a second off the pace in Q3 (a whole second on the shortest lap of the season). The slower Ferrari outpaced by Renault, Racing Point and McLaren as well as Red Bull and Mercedes. Shocking.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Okie
Posts: 4139
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:38 pm

scbriml wrote:
Well a few shocks in qualifying.

Shock 1 - Hamilton not on pole after dominating all the practice sessions. He's also under investigation for allegedly not slowing when Bottas went off.

Shock 2 - Lando Norris in P4 (might yet be P3!) driving a McLaren. I'll say that again, Lando Norris driving a McLaren in P4!!! :shock:

Shock 3 - Just how bad Ferrari were; 10th & 11th in Q2 with Leclerc ending up just about a second off the pace in Q3 (a whole second on the shortest lap of the season). The slower Ferrari outpaced by Renault, Racing Point and McLaren as well as Red Bull and Mercedes. Shocking.


Are there still penalties for passing in F1? :biggrin:
Just curious.

Okie
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:01 pm

scbriml wrote:
He's also under investigation for allegedly not slowing when Bottas went off.


Hamilton cleared by stewards on the basis he was shown conflicting yellow and green flags simultaneously. But, his first Q3 time was deleted for exceeding track limits. So he keeps P2 by the skin of his teeth.

So how will the race pan out? Can Bottas keep Hamilton behind? Will Verstappen's different tyre strategy help to overcome a clear performance deficit to the Mercedes? Will Norris get a nosebleed starting so far up the grid? Is Ferrari's race pace better than their qualifying 'pace'? I suspect it won't be dull.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 pm

In a surprising move, race stewards have reversed their decision to not punish Hamilton after Red Bull provided additional video footage (which blows the theory that stewards always have all data and pictures available). As a result, Hamilton starts P5 with Verstappen, Norris and Albon all promoted one place.

#CatAmongPigeons
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
marcelh
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Nice race with a lot of action/retirements. Not a lot of people would have guessed Bottas 1, Leclerc 2 and Norris 3.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:46 pm

marcelh wrote:
Nice race with a lot of action/retirements. Not a lot of people would have guessed Bottas 1, Leclerc 2 and Norris 3.


Indeed, lots of people moaning on Saturday that the race was going to be boring. If they didn't watch, then they missed an absolute gem of an action and incident-packed race.

Congrats to Bottas, did what he needed to do and brought home the bacon.
Leclerc did well to inherit 2nd place - the Ferrari looked better on medium tyres and low fuel.
Stonking performance from Norris, including smashing in the fastest lap of the race on the very last lap and with it, snatching 3rd place from Hamilton.
Hamilton - a race he'll want to forget, thought his penalty for tapping Albon was a little harsh as I felt Albon was too impatient - he'd have passed Hamilton on the straight immediately after that corner with fresh tyres and DRS, it would have been easy, so he didn't need to try and muscle his way through at the corner.

Lots of broken cars.

Roll on "Austria part two" in a week's time. I'm expecting Hamilton to take the chance to correct today's blip.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2685
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:41 pm

Well, if a Merc absolutely must win, was happy to see it was Valtteri rather than Lewis. Whilst not denying his obvious talent, he comes a across as a petulant child with an elevated sense of entitlement. Denying Alex his first win by going wide is not becoming of a 5-times world champion, and the penalty was much too lenient. A drive through would have been fitting which, at that stage of the race, would have dropped him to the back of the field.

Congrats to Lando, that was an awesome race. Also a huge well-done to Alex, who drove a faultless race until Lewis decided to be an arsehole. Also pleased to see the Haas now able to keep up the pace beyond the first couple of laps. Ferrari was a huge disappointment though, and once again Seb made life harder for himself by making an idiotic move.

The middle of the pack looks to be a very close run affair this year, but "sadly" it looks like Merc is once again in a league of their own.
Signature. You just read one.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:02 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Whilst not denying his obvious talent, he comes a across as a petulant child with an elevated sense of entitlement. Denying Alex his first win by going wide is not becoming of a 5-times world champion, and the penalty was much too lenient.


Six-times champion! :wink2:

That's a bit of a leap assuming Albon would have won, but either way, it doesn't look as though Hamilton "went wide" - he was ahead going into the corner and he looks to be pretty much on the racing line with space to the outside, heck, Albon isn't even on the kerb. Albon just needed a little patience, with new tyres and DRS an overtake was almost inevitable. The penalty was the same as has been handed out to other drives for the same offence.
Image
Source: Sky Sports
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:34 am

scbriml wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
Whilst not denying his obvious talent, he comes a across as a petulant child with an elevated sense of entitlement. Denying Alex his first win by going wide is not becoming of a 5-times world champion, and the penalty was much too lenient.


Six-times champion! :wink2:

That's a bit of a leap assuming Albon would have won, but either way, it doesn't look as though Hamilton "went wide" - he was ahead going into the corner and he looks to be pretty much on the racing line with space to the outside, heck, Albon isn't even on the kerb. Albon just needed a little patience, with new tyres and DRS an overtake was almost inevitable. The penalty was the same as has been handed out to other drives for the same offence.
Image
Source: Sky Sports


Hamilton could have moved further to the right of the corner to avoid Albon, since he already lost the position. The Red Bull surely was in his periphery vision so it's not a question of him not being able to see the car that he's unable to take avoiding action.

As for Albon sure people might say he should have been patient, but given how the Mercs were able to maintain a gap to the cars behind despite most of them being on faster rubber, it shows to me at least, that Albon's window of opportunity was not that big. If he hadn't grabbed the chance, it might have gone away on the next lap.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
speedking
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:00 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:06 am

I did turn it off. I tuned into free practice. I had this feeling it was going to be back with the rainbows everywhere saying 'WE RACE AS ONE', but as soon as I tuned in, within minutes, it was immediately racism this, racism that. Turned off. Turned on qualifying....racism this racism that. Turned off within a minute.
Race day. Same. GOOD BYE. I'll always have old seasons of F1 to watch.

F1 was an incredible sport untouched by politics and one cry baby, sore loser, ruins the whole sport.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:11 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Hamilton could have moved further to the right of the corner to avoid Albon, since he already lost the position. The Red Bull surely was in his periphery vision so it's not a question of him not being able to see the car that he's unable to take avoiding action.


I beg to differ, at the point of turn-in for the corner, Hamilton was marginally still ahead and had every right to take the racing line. A racing driver turning right, isn't looking to his left for another car. Hamilton has pretty much full-lock on and follows exactly Bottas's line through the corner (as can be see from Hamilton's on-board). In my view, Albon had more space to his left plus the kerb which he didn't use.
Image
Source: Video capture from https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... pik7Z.html

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
As for Albon sure people might say he should have been patient, but given how the Mercs were able to maintain a gap to the cars behind despite most of them being on faster rubber, it shows to me at least, that Albon's window of opportunity was not that big. If he hadn't grabbed the chance, it might have gone away on the next lap.


I disagree. This was just after a safety car with the field bunched. The Mercs were on 35-lap old hard tyres while Albon's fitted softs on lap 52 during the Safety Car period for Russell's breakdown. The Safety Car was deployed again almost immediately when Raikkonen's tyre came off at the restart, so there was no real racing between Albon fitting his softs and the clash with Hamilton on lap 61. His tyres were fresh, the field bunched, both Mercs repeated warned to stay off the kerbs because of concerns about their gearboxes. In my view, Albon would have got past Hamilton with just a little more patience.

I thought the penalty was harsh, I understand that others might disagree. I'm looking forward to Austria part deux.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13041
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:07 am

Too many reliability issues and too many penalties for my taste.

Only watched the 3rd practice, qual, and race, not pre or post show : no mention of racism.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Grizzly410
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:53 pm

scbriml wrote:
Congrats to Bottas, did what he needed to do and brought home the bacon.
Leclerc did well to inherit 2nd place - the Ferrari looked better on medium tyres and low fuel.
Stonking performance from Norris, including smashing in the fastest lap of the race on the very last lap and with it, snatching 3rd place from Hamilton.
Hamilton - a race he'll want to forget, thought his penalty for tapping Albon was a little harsh as I felt Albon was too impatient - he'd have passed Hamilton on the straight immediately after that corner with fresh tyres and DRS, it would have been easy, so he didn't need to try and muscle his way through at the corner.

Lots of broken cars.


100% agree your analysis in general, and your view about the HAM/ALB incident in particular.

Somebody else surprised Perez pit release didn't lead to a sanction ?

What about the Mercedes "stay out of the kurbs, both cars" message ? Of course they didn't want to waste big points due to reliability while opposition was struggling but I have the sensation the intention was also to freeze the positions.
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:

Somebody else surprised Perez pit release didn't lead to a sanction ?



Pretty shocked to be frank, looked like a text book unsafe release to me. also kind wondering if the stewards considered another penalty for turning in on Norris at turn 3 and forcing the McLaren over the apex curbing.

Will be curious next week to see if anyone can get closer to the lead or if the Mercedes will just get faster.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
Somebody else surprised Perez pit release didn't lead to a sanction ?


It was surprising, and I fully expected a penalty. The only reason I can imagine why Racing Point weren’t punished was because Perez stayed out of the ‘fast lane’ and didn’t impede the other driver.

Grizzly410 wrote:
What about the Mercedes "stay out of the kurbs, both cars" message ? Of course they didn't want to waste big points due to reliability while opposition was struggling but I have the sensation the intention was also to freeze the positions.


I didn’t think so and Toto Wolff said it wasn’t any kind of coded team orders, but genuine concern that their cars would break. Reliability is something a lot of teams will be having a hard look at before Sunday’s next race.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4288
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 pm

Fantastic race - best one in recent memory. What a biblical effort by Leclerc to get that Ferrari shitbox onto the podium. I still can barely believe it. Shoutout to Gasly for getting 7th despite nursing a significant brake issue for most of the race. I'm also pleased to see Williams not being as woefully noncompetitive as they were in previous years.

Since I'm here, it's time for a rant about how stupidly the cancellation of the race in Melbourne played out. I went all the way to Melbourne for the race, we were at the circuit gates bright and early for FP1 and everyone was crowded up to get in. There were rumors that morning of Seb and Kimi flying back to Europe (infact someone leaked EK409's manifest) but no official statements from FOM/FIA. Everyone was queued up at the gate - very close proximity to each other - for more than an hour before the cancellation came. All the news reports from the F1 media which came out subsequently said that the cancellation was decided upon by the teams very late the previous night, but no official announcement was made until an hour or so after the circuit was supposed to open. Such a mess - and health risk, considering the reasons for cancelling the race (which IMO was absolutely the right decision).

Grizzly410 wrote:
I think the F1 Management (FOM?) did a good job adapting the season to the crisis, it's clever to do 2 races in a row on a same track, and they got the team to agree a lot of new rules (dev freezing, tyre distribution rules and more).


Agreed. My only gripe is that it would be nice for the relevant tracks if they could change the layouts between races. Obviously the Red Bull Ring is short enough as it is and all its alternate configurations are shorter, so that's a no go, but it would be nice if they could use a different layout for the second race at Silverstone. FOM are still intending to expand the calendar - probably just for Europe, but we will see. I really hope we get a race at Estoril. Mugello would be fantastic too, as would Magny-Cours.

Grizzly410 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
By the way, has an F1 car ever looked better than the black Merc?


The Renault is gorgeous too.


The Renaults need more yellow. The RS16 was perfect but the ones since then have far too much black on them which spoil the lines.

Okie wrote:
Are there still penalties for passing in F1? :biggrin:
Just curious.


Watch that race and get back to me about that comment. :lol:

scbriml wrote:
In a surprising move, race stewards have reversed their decision to not punish Hamilton after Red Bull provided additional video footage (which blows the theory that stewards always have all data and pictures available). As a result, Hamilton starts P5 with Verstappen, Norris and Albon all promoted one place.

#CatAmongPigeons


Very smart of Red Bull to wait for the last possible moment to appeal - Mercedes strategies will have been based around starting 1&2 on the grid. The reason there was the delay in finding the video footage is that the 3D Cameras which recorded said footage do not stream their data live. The footage has to be extracted and downloaded after a session and then processed + uploaded.

scbriml wrote:
Hamilton - a race he'll want to forget, thought his penalty for tapping Albon was a little harsh as I felt Albon was too impatient - he'd have passed Hamilton on the straight immediately after that corner with fresh tyres and DRS, it would have been easy


Uhhh have you seen how fast the Mercedes are in a straight line? :roll: Looks like Hamilton is losing his ability to race in traffic. He's so used to being 5-10 seconds out front, unchallenged, that he's gotten clumsy when he's in traffic.

B777LRF wrote:
Well, if a Merc absolutely must win, was happy to see it was Valtteri rather than Lewis.


I hope Valtteri can put up an actual challenge to Lewis this season.

speedking wrote:
I did turn it off. I tuned into free practice. I had this feeling it was going to be back with the rainbows everywhere saying 'WE RACE AS ONE', but as soon as I tuned in, within minutes, it was immediately racism this, racism that. Turned off. Turned on qualifying....racism this racism that. Turned off within a minute.
Race day. Same. GOOD BYE. I'll always have old seasons of F1 to watch.

F1 was an incredible sport untouched by politics and one cry baby, sore loser, ruins the whole sport.


Mate, don't let the door hit you on the way out! I don't for a moment believe that any F1 would be so thin skinned that a 30 second presentation would be enough to stop them watching, but if it did then the joke is on you because that was a fantastic race. IMO it was handled well to separate the protest from the Austrian Anthem (which itself was performed beautifully - more so than I remember at previous races) to avoid people being offended for that reason.

Image


T18 wrote:
Pretty shocked to be frank, looked like a text book unsafe release to me.


If they're being released to the middle lane, I don't really see the issue, assuming that was intentional.

scbriml wrote:
The only reason I can imagine why Racing Point weren’t punished was because Perez stayed out of the ‘fast lane’ and didn’t impede the other driver.


It seems fair enough to me to let that stand.
First to fly the 787-9
 
diverted
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:26 am


F1 was an incredible sport untouched by politics and one cry baby, sore loser, ruins the whole sport.

Mate, don't let the door hit you on the way out! I don't for a moment believe that any F1 would be so thin skinned that a 30 second presentation would be enough to stop them watching, but if it did then the joke is on you because that was a fantastic race. IMO it was handled well to separate the protest from the Austrian Anthem (which itself was performed beautifully - more so than I remember at previous races) to avoid people being offended for that reason.







Agreed. Probably the same type who threw a fit when they got rid of grid girls a few years back. Or the type upset about Nascar banning the confederate flag.
 
TheF15Ace
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:52 am

Mugello has been added to the calendar for 11-13 September.

Image
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdK1DPFiZ7/
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:15 am

TheF15Ace wrote:
Mugello has been added to the calendar for 11-13 September.

<cough> Sochi
<cough> 27th September...

(agreed, debuting Mugello is the bigger news, but still...)
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Great news about more races. Mugello will be insane race in 2020 F1 cars.

Meanwhile, back in Austria, FP1 completed with no real surprises - Perez finished top of the timings but on softs while others only ran mediums.

However, I’m expecting FP2 to be much more interesting. Given the forecast for thunderstorms and heavy rain tomorrow and Sunday morning, it could be that FP3 and qualifying are cancelled, leaving FP2 to decide the grid order. The teams will have to take that possibility seriously, so we could be in for a very interesting session (by practice standards).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Grizzly410
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:13 pm

scbriml wrote:
However, I’m expecting FP2 to be much more interesting. Given the forecast for thunderstorms and heavy rain tomorrow and Sunday morning, it could be that FP3 and qualifying are cancelled, leaving FP2 to decide the grid order. The teams will have to take that possibility seriously, so we could be in for a very interesting session (by practice standards).


I didn't look the session but given the result HAM (6) , RIC (20) and Ferrari (9 and 16) wouldn't like the FP2 to decide the grid !
In such case, what would be the tyre rule for sunday ? Free choice for everybody ?

LAT, GIO, LEC, NOR, PER and VER didn't even used the red tyres to do their best lap of the session. Teams doesn't seem to believe there will be no quali tomorrow.
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:58 pm

Is the track in the same configuration as last week for Austria Mk. 2?
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:01 am

scbriml wrote:
Great news about more races. Mugello will be insane race in 2020 F1 cars.

Meanwhile, back in Austria, FP1 completed with no real surprises - Perez finished top of the timings but on softs while others only ran mediums.

However, I’m expecting FP2 to be much more interesting. Given the forecast for thunderstorms and heavy rain tomorrow and Sunday morning, it could be that FP3 and qualifying are cancelled, leaving FP2 to decide the grid order. The teams will have to take that possibility seriously, so we could be in for a very interesting session (by practice standards).


Ted Kravitz has it right - a typhoon didn't stop F1 from running qualifying last year, what's a bit of Austrian rain? Though having said that, I'm watching the F3 race right now and they've stopped the race due to an accident.

Newark727 wrote:
Is the track in the same configuration as last week for Austria Mk. 2?


Same config. I don't think the FIA is able to change the configuration because IIRC they would need to certify the configuration as safe.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:57 am

it is shocking to see how lost Ferrari seems to be.

Unfortunately for them and their customer teams, the 2020 season is probably too compressed for them to make significant improvements to the engine.

I can't see how Mercedes will not win everything this year, unfortunately.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:06 am

Dahlgardo wrote:
it is shocking to see how lost Ferrari seems to be.

Unfortunately for them and their customer teams, the 2020 season is probably too compressed for them to make significant improvements to the engine.

I can't see how Mercedes will not win everything this year, unfortunately.


Not the first time really. Remember how they went from being world champions to 1979, to nowhere in 1980? Heck, that year the reigning champion Jody Scheckter even failed to qualify!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
Grizzly410
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:56 pm

Very interesting rainy quali session ! Old school, with all pilots unleashed to extract what they can in multiple attempts unlike the "clinic" dry format where they have 2 flying lap per session at best. Loved that !

On board camera were just crazy, visibility was catastrophic but didn't stopped the two Normands (French region) Ocon and Gasly very comfortable to show their skills.
Incredible 11th position for Russel in the Williams :hyper:
The Ferrari were nowhere, that's just crazy :fever: , VET in 10th and LEC 14th after a penalty...
A poor Perez, as usual with wet conditions
And... masterclass pole from Hamilton. 1.2s to Verstappen, 1,4s to his teamate. Bang.

Not sure of the tyre rule but surely they all have free choice for the race ?
We have Sainz, Ocon and Gasly who have to score big points out of their good quali and may be rather conservative (start in Hard?), but lower on the grid there is Racing Point and Ferrari looking at a good and agressive start to reach positions more in line with their performance on a dry track. It will be interesting :)
I'd love to see a driver of the top10 gambling on a rapid Safety Car and start with red tyres : No guts no glory !

As much as I dislike Verstappen my bet is on him for the race, the Red Bull seems to have such a race rythm !
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:05 am

Grizzly410 wrote:
And... masterclass pole from Hamilton. 1.2s to Verstappen, 1,4s to his teamate. Bang.


An astonishing performance by Hamilton.

Ferrari - what the heck?

Looks like a dry race tomorrow, hopefully as exciting as last week’s! :bouncy:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:45 pm

scbriml wrote:
An astonishing performance by Hamilton.


Qualifying was great, the race was an absolute masterclass.

scbriml wrote:
Ferrari - what the heck?


If you thought qualifying was bad for Ferrari, the race was a horror show. :o
Image
Source: https://www.planetf1.com/news/binotto-t ... lame-game/

scbriml wrote:
Looks like a dry race tomorrow, hopefully as exciting as last week’s!


Maybe not quite as exciting as last week's race, but plenty of action and incident from the very first lap (Ferrari :rotfl: ) to the last (Lando Norris again! and two tenths of a second separating Perez, Stroll and Ricciardo in sixth, seventh and eighth.) At the front, Hamilton was in a class of one, but a great, if brief, battle between Bottas and Verstappen, but in the end, Bottas too strong for Verstappen's Red Bull (who appeared to have some minor front wing damage.)

So, we now head off to Hungary for next week's race. Then we have a week off (boo!) before another three-race block - back-to-back races at Silverstone followed by the Spanish GP.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 am

They were showing the top three forming up in pit lane, and I was all, "hey that's just not interesting, show me what's happening in positions 5-8 again!" Quite a final lap for them.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15124
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:23 am

Good finish, and good action behind the top finishers, with some like NASCAR like 'rubbing is racing' action in their last laps.

Ferrari has some real issues, not competitive at all. The commentator suggested their 'might be a meeting' at Ferrari Racing HQ Monday.

Hamilton not only continuing his driving excellence, but also finding a way to express anti-racism views in a dignified way.that also encouraged his team to participate. Most likely he has ancestors who were slaves in the British Caribbean islands and for sure has and continues to face racism in his life so is justified to demonstrate his views.

It is likely best to keep the races in the EU and with Russia, that is in Sochi, not Moscow or other major cities in Russia with far worse Covid-19 rates of infection. I suspect some significant monies greased palms to have the race there. I doubt we will see any 2020 F1 races outside of Europe or Sochi due to sound reasons. .
 
TheF15Ace
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 am

ltbewr wrote:
It is likely best to keep the races in the EU and with Russia, that is in Sochi, not Moscow or other major cities in Russia with far worse Covid-19 rates of infection. I suspect some significant monies greased palms to have the race there. I doubt we will see any 2020 F1 races outside of Europe or Sochi due to sound reasons. .


There were talks of ending the season in the Middle East with possible double races in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13041
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 am

From my understanding the Ferrari engine was good last year until the FIA caught them having cheated, nothing was said publicly but after that Ferrari corrected the issue and since then the engine is crap.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:58 am

Aesma wrote:
From my understanding the Ferrari engine was good last year until the FIA caught them having cheated, nothing was said publicly but after that Ferrari corrected the issue and since then the engine is crap.


Ferrari were never "convicted" of cheating, so it's probably just a coincidence. :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Grizzly410
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:27 pm

scbriml wrote:
If you thought qualifying was bad for Ferrari, the race was a horror show. :o


For sure, but a very quick one !

Grizzly410 wrote:
We have Sainz, Ocon and Gasly who have to score big points out of their good quali and may be rather conservative (start in Hard?), but lower on the grid there is Racing Point and Ferrari looking at a good and agressive start to reach positions more in line with their performance on a dry track. It will be interesting :)
I'd love to see a driver of the top10 gambling on a rapid Safety Car and start with red tyres : No guts no glory !


I couldn't be much more wrong with the tyre strategy :blush: The green track and new tyres made most of the grid start in soft. I think Ricciardo was the first with Medium and his choice nearly paid off, he was controling Stroll untill the agressive overtake. A bit surprised the no sanction for this overtake, I have no problem Stroll more or less pushing Ricciardo out of the track limit, but seeing he didn't himself respect the track limit should be sanctioned in my view.

Also between Renault and Racing Point, the yellow team have official raised a protest to the FIA against the pink.
"Basically we contend that the brake ducts front and rear that are used on the Racing Point are effectively a Mercedes design, and so have been designed by another competitor," says Budkowski (Renault executive director).
"Which is in breach of the sporting regulations, more precisely Appendix 6, and therefore we protested the cars because of that.

Have a look at the comparative picture, it's simply a copy/paste. To FIA to tell if the interior is different or not.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/expl ... st/4833433
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:33 am

Another weekend, another race! We've travelled the relatively short distance from Austria to the Hungaroring for the Hungarian GP.

FP1 has just finished and normal service has resumed. Hamilton fastest on the hardest tyre! That must be pretty worrying for everyone else at a track where Hamilton already has seven wins.

FP1 Times:
1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:16.003 37 laps hard
2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 0.086s 37 laps medium
3 Sergio Perez Racing Point 0.527s 20 laps soft
4 Lance Stroll Racing Point 0.964s 35 laps soft
5 Daniel Ricciardo Renault 1.197s 28 laps medium
6 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1.235s 26 laps medium
7 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1.401s 29 laps medium
8 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1.432s 28 laps soft
9 Lando Norris McLaren 1.520s 26 laps soft
10 Esteban Ocon Renault 1.612s 35 laps medium
11 Carlos Sainz McLaren 1.672s 32 laps soft
12 Kevin Magnussen Haas 1.710s 35 laps medium
13 Alex Albon Red Bull 1.724s 28 laps soft
14 Romain Grosjean Haas 1.887s 35 laps medium
15 Nicholas Latifi Williams 1.966s 31 medium
16 Daniil Kvyat AlphaTauri 2.289s 35 laps medium
17 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing 2.422s 30 laps medium
18 George Russell Williams 2.571s 29 laps medium
19 Robert Kubica Alfa Romeo Racing 3.147s 26 laps medium
20 Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri no lap
Source: https://www.planetf1.com/news/hungarian ... port-2020/
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Topic Author
Posts: 19043
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:41 pm

Unfortunately, FP2 was rain-affected with seven drivers not even bothering to run, so a fairly meaningless session.

FP2 Times:
1 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:40.464
2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 0.272s
3 Carlos Sainz McLaren 1.320s
4 Lance Stroll Racing Point 1.916s
5 Sergio Perez Racing Point 2.006s
6 Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri 2.124s
7 Max Verstappen Red Bull 2.356s
8 Romain Grosjean Haas 2.871s
9 Kimi Raikkonen Alfa Romeo Racing 3.007s
10 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 3.261s
11 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing 3.947s
12 Lando Norris McLaren 5.536s
13 Daniil Kvyat AlphaTauri 6.958s
14 Esteban Ocon Renault
15 Daniel Ricciardo Renault
16 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
17 Nicholas Latifi Williams
18 George Russell Williams
19 Alex Albon Red Bull
20 Kevin Magnussen Haas
Source: https://www.planetf1.com/news/hungarian-gp-fp2-report/
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2060
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: It's back! F1 2020 Season

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:19 am

Man, if it's going to be another Mercedes lockout then this season is going to be crap...
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GDB, mad99, unscheduled, USPIT10L, WA707atMSP and 65 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos