Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 11295
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:24 pm

It appears that Dan Snyder and team may be finally getting pressured into taking action on the Naming of the NFL team .

Below is a list of name choices. Any one have any others to add?


https://sports.yahoo.com/column-more-ap ... 47023.html

I was thinking the
Washington Deficit. It is scary and it is huge,
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13422
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:36 pm

They have no choice they are being strong-armed. I guess the Black Hawks are next.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:50 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
They have no choice they are being strong-armed.


You can thank FedEx (Fred Smith is a minority percentage owner of the team, PepsiCo, and Nike for putting the pressure on them. Public pressure didn't mean dick to Snyder.

NIKV69 wrote:
I guess the Black Hawks are next.


Not likely, but not impossible. Unlike the Washington team, Blackhawk refers to a specific tribe leader and is not derogatory. And I believe the team solicited permission from the tribe to use the name and logo. There's an argument to made that no sports team should be named after a Native American tribe, but on the spectrum of offensive names, Blackhawks isn't that bad.

casinterest wrote:
Below is a list of name choices. Any one have any others to add?


I think they should borrow from a certain baseball team and call themselves the "Washington American Football Players of Landover County, MD."

Saw a suggestion on Twitter to be called the Potomacs, and you could call them the Macs, or Pots for shorthand.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:59 pm

LittleFokker wrote:

I think they should borrow from a certain baseball team and call themselves the "Washington American Football Players of Landover County, MD."



PG. They are in Prince George's County. Landover & Largo are the towns nearest.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."
 
apodino
Posts: 3879
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:42 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
They have no choice they are being strong-armed.


You can thank FedEx (Fred Smith is a minority percentage owner of the team, PepsiCo, and Nike for putting the pressure on them. Public pressure didn't mean dick to Snyder.

NIKV69 wrote:
I guess the Black Hawks are next.


Not likely, but not impossible. Unlike the Washington team, Blackhawk refers to a specific tribe leader and is not derogatory. And I believe the team solicited permission from the tribe to use the name and logo. There's an argument to made that no sports team should be named after a Native American tribe, but on the spectrum of offensive names, Blackhawks isn't that bad.

casinterest wrote:
Below is a list of name choices. Any one have any others to add?


I think they should borrow from a certain baseball team and call themselves the "Washington American Football Players of Landover County, MD."

Saw a suggestion on Twitter to be called the Potomacs, and you could call them the Macs, or Pots for shorthand.


Why not the Washington Generals? The team has been just as much a joke as the basketball team of the same name ever since Snyder bought the team.


In all seriousness, I don't know if the controversy behind this name started before or after the death of Jack Kent Cooke. If it was after, and Cooke's descendants had gotten the team (If Cooke even knew that a guy like Snyder would run the team the way he did he would have never written his will the way he did) this would have been resolved a long time ago. If it was before, why didn't Cooke address it before he passed on. In any case, Dan Snyder is an egomaniac who cares only about the money coming in, and the fact that he wants to be hands on with everything and do things his way. (Basically, he tries to be Jerry Jones, but comes up way short) His team has gotten so bad during his ownership that the fans are boycotting the team in large numbers, and FedEx field last year often had more fans of the visiting team than the home team. (When the Patriots visited it was almost like a Patriots home game). I believe in the short time the XFL was around that the XFL team had more fans show up to one game. it is absolutely sad what the team has become. And honestly, a name change could be a fresh start for Snyder and there are many opportunities that it presents for him.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19042
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:40 am

Natives.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12896
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:02 am

NIKV69 wrote:
They have no choice they are being strong-armed.


More like pushed by the invisible hand of markets ......

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 10263
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Well I will wait and see, I agree with some radio commentators, when your press release list the name being reviewed multiple times, it some what clouds the issue.
However, if they had said the Washington Football team, others may have said the decision was already made.

As with the change in South Africa, when economics get involved things will finally move, so if FedEx is ultimately removed as a sponsor to preserve the name, it is still only a matter of time, the history of the team is defined by what they did on the field, not the name, so that will endure. The issue has fallen off the radar in the last couple years as the present owner has not done a good job running the team.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 23956
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
They have no choice they are being strong-armed.

LOL, look at you railing against capitalism in action!

The irony...

tommy1808 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
They have no choice they are being strong-armed.


More like pushed by the invisible hand of markets ......

Best regards
Thomas

:checkmark:

One big corporation got mad at another big corporation because its branding was causing it to lose customers.

The main point behind the "corporations are people" was because they want to be able to express opinions and act on them.

Somehow this is lost on many.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:27 pm

Frankly this seems long overdue. I do think they need a new name that will strike fear into their opponents. Maybe the Washington Congress, or the DC Lobbyists or maybe they will just go with something bland and dumb.... yeah pretty sure it will be that one.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3504
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 pm

casinterest wrote:
It appears that Dan Snyder and team may be finally getting pressured into taking action on the Naming of the NFL team .

Below is a list of name choices. Any one have any others to add?


https://sports.yahoo.com/column-more-ap ... 47023.html

I was thinking the
Washington Deficit. It is scary and it is huge,


For some reason I am think Washington Swamp.

The motto? "Drain the Swamp!" :duck:
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15122
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:14 pm

My suggestion would be the Red Hawks. The name would be from the popular name of Red-Tailed Hawks, a bird of prey that is similar to eagles, so suitable for a sports team, and the red to connect to the past name and uniform color. There are minor league, high school and college teams with the name so already tried out with the public. The logo could be a depiction of a Red Tailed Hawk, talons out for gabbing prey. Who knows, maybe a new name will break their curse of not being in the playoffs in many years.
Now some other teams, like the MLB Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, NFL's KC Chiefs may face pressure to ditch Native American related names.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 11295
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:24 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
casinterest wrote:
It appears that Dan Snyder and team may be finally getting pressured into taking action on the Naming of the NFL team .

Below is a list of name choices. Any one have any others to add?


https://sports.yahoo.com/column-more-ap ... 47023.html

I was thinking the
Washington Deficit. It is scary and it is huge,


For some reason I am think Washington Swamp.

The motto? "Drain the Swamp!" :duck:


Could name them the Snappers, after the biggest and bossiest residents in a swamp.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:28 pm

If they wanted to retain the image of a ferocious and angry tribe, they could always call them the Washington Trump Supporters. :duck:
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2371
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Newark727 wrote:
If they wanted to retain the image of a ferocious and angry tribe, they could always call them the Washington Trump Supporters. :duck:

And every time they lose, they will call the umpire fake news and say they rigged the game against them :stirthepot:
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
Newark727
Posts: 1880
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:31 pm

stl07 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
If they wanted to retain the image of a ferocious and angry tribe, they could always call them the Washington Trump Supporters. :duck:

And every time they lose, they will call the umpire fake news and say they rigged the game against them :stirthepot:


The referees are part of the deep state!
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3787
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:13 pm

ltbewr wrote:
My suggestion would be the Red Hawks. The name would be from the popular name of Red-Tailed Hawks, a bird of prey that is similar to eagles, so suitable for a sports team, and the red to connect to the past name and uniform color. There are minor league, high school and college teams with the name so already tried out with the public. The logo could be a depiction of a Red Tailed Hawk, talons out for gabbing prey. Who knows, maybe a new name will break their curse of not being in the playoffs in many years.
Now some other teams, like the MLB Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, NFL's KC Chiefs may face pressure to ditch Native American related names.

While that's a pretty good name, I don't think they'd go with it since there is already a team called the Seahawks. I can't see another "Hawk" team in the same league. How about the Washington Wolves?
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:21 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Now some other teams, like the MLB Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, NFL's KC Chiefs may face pressure to ditch Native American related names.


I didn’t think those names needed to be changed as much as the obvious racial slur of “Redskins”, but then I saw the Cleveland Indian’s mascot. What a disgusting racial caricature, how they wore that on their uniforms up until a year ago is beyond me. The Chicago Blackhawks logo isn’t much better.

If you want to see how to integrate an indigenous culture into a sporting team look at one of the world’s best sports teams, and most racial integrated, the New Zealand All Blacks.

https://qz.com/507302/new-zealands-rugb ... opriating/
 
BC77008
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:26 am

Since Washington Nationals is already taken, How about the Washington Dulleses?!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2371
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 am

BC77008 wrote:
Since Washington Nationals is already taken, How about the Washington Dulleses?!

:lol: I like your thinking
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2039
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:17 am

Swedish icehockey team Förlunda may also have to change their name and logo since they call themselves Frölunda Indians.

https://www.svt.se/sport/ishockey/frolu ... vecklingen
https://hockeysverige.se/2020/07/05/da- ... dianloggan
https://hockeynews.se/articles/14976/

Then there is the speedway team Indianerna (the indians).
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
dragon-wings
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:55 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:54 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Now some other teams, like the MLB Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, NFL's KC Chiefs may face pressure to ditch Native American related names.


I didn’t think those names needed to be changed as much as the obvious racial slur of “Redskins”, but then I saw the Cleveland Indian’s mascot. What a disgusting racial caricature, how they wore that on their uniforms up until a year ago is beyond me. The Chicago Blackhawks logo isn’t much better.

If you want to see how to integrate an indigenous culture into a sporting team look at one of the world’s best sports teams, and most racial integrated, the New Zealand All Blacks.

https://qz.com/507302/new-zealands-rugb ... opriating/


The Cleveland Indians are considering changing their name now.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/294 ... -team-name
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/294 ... ame-change
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano
 
FGITD
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:07 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Now some other teams, like the MLB Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, NFL's KC Chiefs may face pressure to ditch Native American related names.


I didn’t think those names needed to be changed as much as the obvious racial slur of “Redskins”, but then I saw the Cleveland Indian’s mascot. What a disgusting racial caricature, how they wore that on their uniforms up until a year ago is beyond me. The Chicago Blackhawks logo isn’t much better.

If you want to see how to integrate an indigenous culture into a sporting team look at one of the world’s best sports teams, and most racial integrated, the New Zealand All Blacks.

https://qz.com/507302/new-zealands-rugb ... opriating/


For what it's worth, the Chicago Blackhawks are actually named in honor of the first owner's Infantry division in WW1, which was in turn named after Black Hawk, a famous native warrior from the Illinois area. Same namesake as the uh60 helicopter.

I'd like to see the logo changed, but that's just because think it's a bad looking logo. But the name itself carries a bit more behind it than just Indians or Redskins, which are really just slurs. While a native warrior has nothing to do with hockey, the team keeps his legacy going in one way or another.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12856
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:20 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Now some other teams, like the MLB Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, NFL's KC Chiefs may face pressure to ditch Native American related names.


I didn’t think those names needed to be changed as much as the obvious racial slur of “Redskins”, but then I saw the Cleveland Indian’s mascot. What a disgusting racial caricature, how they wore that on their uniforms up until a year ago is beyond me. The Chicago Blackhawks logo isn’t much better.

If you want to see how to integrate an indigenous culture into a sporting team look at one of the world’s best sports teams, and most racial integrated, the New Zealand All Blacks.

https://qz.com/507302/new-zealands-rugb ... opriating/


The All Blacks name was a mistake, the press during the 1905 tour of the U.K. said the entire team played like they were All Backs, this was misinterpreted to All Blacks and the name stuck.
 
Ken777
Posts: 10048
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:01 pm

Time to talk money when approaching a name change. First, what name change results in steady sales of merchandise? Anything that keeps the team colors and logo/artwork is at the top of the list. Current fans do not want to face re-purchasing merchandise. They will be wearing their current merch to games for a few years into the new name.

Second, don't be offensive. "Warriors" should work as Native Americans will be responding "Damn Straight". Especially earn they beat Dallas.

Next: Get it done NOW. The NFL should give the team one additional draft choice (second to third round) if it is finished be the start of Pre Season. 7th Round is not finished in time.

Remember that all teams will be pissed if they have to reprint tickets to the Washington Whatevers games. Lost money that they will pull from the Whatevers.
 
speedking
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Washington Caucasians.
 
speedking
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:08 pm

Even better, maximum anti-racist: Washington LGBT Muslim Communists.
 
agill
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:49 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:47 pm

Well the suggestion of Washington Redtails with a Mustang in the logo was nice :)
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22329
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:42 pm

stl07 wrote:
BC77008 wrote:
Since Washington Nationals is already taken, How about the Washington Dulleses?!

:lol: I like your thinking


Can we repost Carol Burnett's tribute to John Foster Dulles? LOL

Back in the olden days of hockey, team names were..... different. The western teams were named Rosebuds, Metropolitans, and Millionares. One of the Original Six still strikes terror into the hearts and souls of their opponents with their fear educing Maple Leaf. So, how about the Washington Cherry Blossoms?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:52 pm

seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
BC77008 wrote:
Since Washington Nationals is already taken, How about the Washington Dulleses?!

:lol: I like your thinking


Can we repost Carol Burnett's tribute to John Foster Dulles? LOL

Back in the olden days of hockey, team names were..... different. The western teams were named Rosebuds, Metropolitans, and Millionares. One of the Original Six still strikes terror into the hearts and souls of their opponents with their fear educing Maple Leaf. So, how about the Washington Cherry Blossoms?


Don't forget the menacing Montreal Maroons
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 10263
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Next: Get it done NOW. The NFL should give the team one additional draft choice (second to third round) if it is finished be the start of Pre Season. 7th Round is not finished in time.

Remember that all teams will be pissed if they have to reprint tickets to the Washington Whatevers games. Lost money that they will pull from the Whatevers.

Not sure why the NFL has to give the team an advantage with a draft pick for doing what some consider the PC thing to do, this was around long before the current social crisis.
As for the tickets, why re-print them, regardless of the name change, if a home game folks will all be going to the same stadium even if called RFK, on the road, no other team is going to show up to play their game, so unless someone wants to mount a legal challenge... Besides, folks will probably want to keep those items for posterity of a time when the team name abused or honored the native Americans.
 
FGITD
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:04 pm

seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
BC77008 wrote:
Since Washington Nationals is already taken, How about the Washington Dulleses?!

:lol: I like your thinking


Can we repost Carol Burnett's tribute to John Foster Dulles? LOL

Back in the olden days of hockey, team names were..... different. The western teams were named Rosebuds, Metropolitans, and Millionares. One of the Original Six still strikes terror into the hearts and souls of their opponents with their fear educing Maple Leaf. So, how about the Washington Cherry Blossoms?


The naming conventions of the NHL original 6 and pre-league teams can be hilarious. The NY Rangers...named so because the owner was nicknamed Tex, so the squad was Tex's Rangers. Boston Bruins...possibly the most obscure name for "bear" you'll ever find. Red Wings...renamed because the new owner stole the name from his old team.

Montreal is unique because it's not often you have a team who have such a storied history...from before the existence of the league they play in.
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:10 pm

FGITD wrote:
seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
:lol: I like your thinking


Can we repost Carol Burnett's tribute to John Foster Dulles? LOL

Back in the olden days of hockey, team names were..... different. The western teams were named Rosebuds, Metropolitans, and Millionares. One of the Original Six still strikes terror into the hearts and souls of their opponents with their fear educing Maple Leaf. So, how about the Washington Cherry Blossoms?


The naming conventions of the NHL original 6 and pre-league teams can be hilarious. The NY Rangers...named so because the owner was nicknamed Tex, so the squad was Tex's Rangers. Boston Bruins...possibly the most obscure name for "bear" you'll ever find. Red Wings...renamed because the new owner stole the name from his old team.

Montreal is unique because it's not often you have a team who have such a storied history...from before the existence of the league they play in.


Since we're talking about it, can anyone tell me what in the sam hell is a Knickerbocker?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
agill
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:49 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:58 am

LittleFokker wrote:
FGITD wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Can we repost Carol Burnett's tribute to John Foster Dulles? LOL

Back in the olden days of hockey, team names were..... different. The western teams were named Rosebuds, Metropolitans, and Millionares. One of the Original Six still strikes terror into the hearts and souls of their opponents with their fear educing Maple Leaf. So, how about the Washington Cherry Blossoms?


The naming conventions of the NHL original 6 and pre-league teams can be hilarious. The NY Rangers...named so because the owner was nicknamed Tex, so the squad was Tex's Rangers. Boston Bruins...possibly the most obscure name for "bear" you'll ever find. Red Wings...renamed because the new owner stole the name from his old team.

Montreal is unique because it's not often you have a team who have such a storied history...from before the existence of the league they play in.


Since we're talking about it, can anyone tell me what in the sam hell is a Knickerbocker?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker
 
slider
Posts: 7576
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Gregg Easterbrook, who used to write the old Tuesday Morning Quarterback column, took to calling them the Potomac River Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons several years ago.

That always cracked me up.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 11295
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm

slider wrote:
Gregg Easterbrook, who used to write the old Tuesday Morning Quarterback column, took to calling them the Potomac River Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons several years ago.

That always cracked me up.



I miss those columns.

So maybe the Washington Sewers?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
slider
Posts: 7576
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:43 pm

There's also a little more unknown history here that I don't read much about. I first heard about this through the old great football blog, Cold Hard Football Facts. That original post is now long gone, but the background of the name is something the regular sports media or media probably won't touch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamanend

Tamanend was colloquialized as Tammany, later for which Tammany Hall was named (and whose statue adorned the building). Openly recognized as the peaceful icon of negotiation and friendship, political societies formed in homage to Tamanend.

Tamanend reputedly took part in a meeting between the leaders of the Lenni-Lenape nation, and the leaders of the Pennsylvania colony held under a large elm tree at Shakamaxon in the early 1680s. William Penn and Tamanend continued to sign seven more documents assuring each other, and their peoples, of peaceable understanding after the initial one in 1683. Tamanend is recorded as having said that the Lenni-Lenape and the English colonists would "live in peace as long as the waters run in the rivers and creeks and as long as the stars and moon endure." These words have been memorialized on the statue of Tamanend that still stands in Philadelphia. It is believed that Tamanend died in 1701. Over the next century, many folk legends surrounded Tamanend, and his fame assumed mythical proportions among the people of Philadelphia, who began to call him "King Tammany," "Saint Tammany," and the "Patron Saint of America." The people of Philadelphia organized a Tammany society and an annual Tammany festival. These traditions soon spread across America. Tammany's popular status was partly due to the desire by colonists to express a distinct "American" identity, in place of their former European nationalities. Tammany provided an apt symbol for this kind of patriotism.

Because of Philadelphia's prominence during the American Revolution and subsequent decades, Tammany soon became a national symbol throughout much of the newly formed country.


In 1912, James Gaffney, who was part of Tammany Hall in NY, purchased the Boston Rustlers (which became the Braves--now through various iterations the Atlanta Braves) baseball team. When they got the NFL team in 1932, they adopted the Redskins name since Braves had been taken and since the baseball team in Boston was the Red Sox. (Red Sox, Redskins, get it?) Team moved to DC in 1937 and kept the iconography for Tamanend.

I do think the same iconography has been bastardized (the song Hail to the Redskins has cringe-worthy lyrics, indeed), but there's always far more fascinating history behind things if we just look. I'm agnostic on the team name, but in context, I can understand how the name has its defenders and detractors alike.
 
slider
Posts: 7576
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 pm

casinterest wrote:
slider wrote:
Gregg Easterbrook, who used to write the old Tuesday Morning Quarterback column, took to calling them the Potomac River Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons several years ago.

That always cracked me up.



I miss those columns.

So maybe the Washington Sewers?


Yeah, his cognomen for all the teams was pretty humorous! Loved his team nicknames. Jersey A, Jersey B, the Squared Sevens, the Flaming Thumbtacks, Flying Elvii, etc, LOL... Plus, he'd put great non-football stuff in that column. It really was a delight.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15122
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:12 pm

slider wrote:
casinterest wrote:
slider wrote:
Gregg Easterbrook, who used to write the old Tuesday Morning Quarterback column, took to calling them the Potomac River Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons several years ago.

That always cracked me up.

I miss those columns.
So maybe the Washington Sewers?


Yeah, his cognomen for all the teams was pretty humorous! Loved his team nicknames. Jersey A, Jersey B, the Squared Sevens, the Flaming Thumbtacks, Flying Elvii, etc, LOL... Plus, he'd put great non-football stuff in that column. It really was a delight.


I loved his articles for ESPN back in the day. He pretty much got hurt when he took a view of Israel that was counter to AIPAC's and suspended for a few weeks in an NFL season and eventually perhaps taking views that the NFL power owners didn't like.

Its been pretty quiet as to team's discussions for a few days, surprised no 'trial balloons' of possible names. For sure lawyers are having to review possible renames for rights, trademarks conflicts as well as for 'PC' issues.
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:27 pm

agill wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
Since we're talking about it, can anyone tell me what in the sam hell is a Knickerbocker?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker


So, after going through 5 more clicks to get to a definition...the NBA team is the New York Short Pants? Ye Gods.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
meecrob
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:15 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:36 am

LittleFokker wrote:
agill wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
Since we're talking about it, can anyone tell me what in the sam hell is a Knickerbocker?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker


So, after going through 5 more clicks to get to a definition...the NBA team is the New York Short Pants? Ye Gods.


Have you seen the shorts they used to wear before the 90's? :lol:
 
bohica
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:21 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:39 am

They should drop "Washington" as well. Change it to DC.

Call them the DC DRAGONS.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15122
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:12 am

The team ownership will make an announcement on Monday, July 13th of the retirement of the 'Redskins' name. The new name to be announced in 2 weeks as still a need to deal with legal issues of the use of the trademarked name and to confer with certain military and Native American groups as to apparently 2 possible replacements. One of the rumored names has been Warriors.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... id=U507DHP
 
slider
Posts: 7576
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:16 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The team ownership will make an announcement on Monday, July 13th of the retirement of the 'Redskins' name. The new name to be announced in 2 weeks as still a need to deal with legal issues of the use of the trademarked name and to confer with certain military and Native American groups as to apparently 2 possible replacements. One of the rumored names has been Warriors.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... id=U507DHP


Warriors?

WTH?! Marquette University capitulated under pressure to change FROM the Warriors to the Golden Eagles.

Instead of just eliminating Native American imagery, they scuttled the whole thing.

But in Washington, I'm sure they'll make it some noble brand mark and non-tribal specific homage.
 
winginit
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Step 1: Make it the Washington Redtails as a nod to the Tuskeegee Airmen
Step 2: Use this sweet logo

Image

Step 3: Everyone is happy except status quo bigots whose opinions are irrelevant
 
VolvoBus
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:08 pm

bohica wrote:
They should drop "Washington" as well. Change it to DC.

Call them the DC DRAGONS.


How about DC Currents ? I think I spelled it correctly,but in view of previous comments regarding the team I am not sure.

Slightly off topic, how long until some descendants of immigrants suggest that Notre Dame University portrays them as a bunch of drunken brawlers ?
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
bohica wrote:
They should drop "Washington" as well. Change it to DC.

Call them the DC DRAGONS.


How about DC Currents ? I think I spelled it correctly,but in view of previous comments regarding the team I am not sure.

Slightly off topic, how long until some descendants of immigrants suggest that Notre Dame University portrays them as a bunch of drunken brawlers ?


I'll be honest, I'm only slightly Irish and do find the drunk leprechaun mascot to be kinda insulting to the Irish, not enough to really do more than say I wish it was not portrayed as a drunk brawler. However, they will tend to get a pass as many of the students and players who took up the name were Irish so its not the same as taking a name from a subjugated people whom have no representation.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:52 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The team ownership will make an announcement on Monday, July 13th of the retirement of the 'Redskins' name. The new name to be announced in 2 weeks as still a need to deal with legal issues of the use of the trademarked name and to confer with certain military and Native American groups as to apparently 2 possible replacements. One of the rumored names has been Warriors.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... id=U507DHP


Checking with the Military? Generals.

Scratch that. Warthogs. Already have the hogs...
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10418
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:57 pm

DL717 wrote:
Checking with the Military? Generals.

Wha...? You disrespecting the Navy there bub?!? :spin:

How about "The Warbirds"?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3787
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Washington Redskins Name Change on the Way?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:18 pm

winginit wrote:
Step 1: Make it the Washington Redtails as a nod to the Tuskeegee Airmen
Step 2: Use this sweet logo

Image

Step 3: Everyone is happy except status quo bigots whose opinions are irrelevant

Sweet! They should go with that and pay you royalties for every piece of merchandise they sell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1337Delta764, David L, ltbewr and 74 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos