Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

A message to those who are feeling down

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:34 pm

Ok, so I don't know how to start off, so I'll just go right into this.

If you are feeling down, or like COVID is killing the vibe, I feel your pain. Believe me, I do. I'm just 13, and it's my dream to fly 757/767 for Delta Airlines. But, COVID might've killed that. I wanted to fly the 777 for Delta too, but they're getting retired in a few months. We all have our experiences, whether we're 13 or 31. However, that's the thing we have in common now; COVID took away what we love. Airliners.net is the only thing we have at this point. We have to use this to our advantage, and fight, together. We can do it. I know it. Don't give up. We can do it. The planes that are getting grounded all over the world shows us something. We have to team up in order to bring back our lost friends. Show COVID that we're not letting up.

Feel free to spread the word to family/friends.

LittleFokker

Re: A message to those who are feeling down

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

If you are feeling down, or like COVID is killing the vibe, I feel your pain. Believe me, I do. I'm just 13, and it's my dream to fly 757/767 for Delta Airlines. But, COVID might've killed that. I wanted to fly the 777 for Delta too, but they're getting retired in a few months. We all have our experiences, whether we're 13 or 31. However, that's the thing we have in common now; COVID took away what we love. Airliners.net is the only thing we have at this point. We have to use this to our advantage, and fight, together. We can do it. I know it. Don't give up. We can do it. The planes that are getting grounded all over the world shows us something. We have to team up in order to bring back our lost friends. Show COVID that we're not letting up.

Nice sentiment. But to be fair, by the time you will have reached minimum age to get commercial rating (plus however long it takes you to get the hours to get hired by DL), the 757 would definitely have been retired, and likely the 767 too. So don't blame COVID for the loss of that dream. The 777 might still be around as a freighter.

I'm sure you'll find another aircraft to fall in love with. Keep the dream alive.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Dutchy

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:52 pm

Nice sentiment indeed, don't get me wrong, but a bit odd try to give life advice to adults. Anyhow, if your dream is to fly commercial airliners for Delta, good, go for it and hopefully, you will get there. That isn't a dream Covid took away, aircraft type, well that is another story. More importantly, be with your friends, online or, if possible, off line, and family. Trust me, in the end far more important and of course the best life advice: wear sunscreen.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

casinterest

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:28 pm

Just get through this time in our lives. When Covid is over the airlines will be busy again. Many people are waiting to take business and personal trips again. We just need to reach the point where we can say we did all we could do to save lives. At 13 you have a wonderful world ahead of you. Keep studying, keep buys and work hard. Never hesitate to ask teachers or peers for help.
Where ever you go, there you are.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:50 pm

Liked your post. My more humble dream was just to fly in a 380. Looks like I will have to give up on that too.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

stratosphere

Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:32 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

Well there is always hope kid....Pilot Pete Weber is not that much older then you maybe 15 years or so has been on a bunch of dates with beautiful women on the Bachelor television show and is a pilot for Delta didn't even finish college left before graduating to fly for Compass and probably got hired by Delta in the flow thru program that's how he probably slid in there without the degree. Always a way to work the system when you're good looking and come from money. If you want to fly the 757/767 though you might have to settle for a cargo outfit like UPS/FEDEX .

sierrakilo44

Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:54 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

If you are feeling down, or like COVID is killing the vibe, I feel your pain. Believe me, I do. I'm just 13, and it's my dream to fly 757/767 for Delta Airlines. But, COVID might've killed that. I wanted to fly the 777 for Delta too, but they're getting retired in a few months.

So much humility and wisdom for a 13 year old. Your dream is nowhere near over. By the time you are at the bare legal minimum age to fly and aircraft for profit the aviation industry would’ve recovered from this current downturn. The boomer generation would’ve retired and a new generation of pilots will be needed so getting a job won’t be an issue as long as you are motivated.

It may not be on a 7x7 series aircraft as you wish right now but I’ll let you in on a secret. By the time you make it to the level as a professional pilot where you get the opportunity to fly a 7xx something, or an A3xx something, or a CRJxxx something or whatever, you really won’t care about what letters and numbers make up the model of aircraft you’re flying, it’ll be more about the money, basing, lifestyle, contract, career prospects and people you work with. Whether it’s A or B is irrelevant.

Dutchy wrote:
Trust me, in the end far more important and of course the best life advice: wear sunscreen.

“Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)” by Baz Luhrmann was released in my youth. As I have gotten 20 years older since it was released the message of the song becomes more real and more true with every passing year. Some lines of the lyrics that are especially poignant now:

“ Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements”

“ Be nice to your siblings, they're your best link to your past
And the people most likely to stick with you in the future”

“ The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself”

“Remember compliments you receive, forget the insults, if you succeed in doing this, tell me how”

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:07 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Liked your post. My more humble dream was just to fly in a 380. Looks like I will have to give up on that too.

Thanks for reading! Don't give up, U have Hi fly Malta, and ANA who recently got them. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the others cut down or retire the 380s altogether.
Fun fact, as of now, there are more DC-8s than A380s 'active' (there's a reason active is in quotes)
Link https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1447977

anrec80

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:03 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

Despite number of months wasted for COVID, this is far from enough to take any real dream, especially given that exit out of this craze is soon. Speaking of something taken away, especially dreams - it can only be taken away from you if you allow that to happen, in your own mind. Many birds are down, but more and more are coming back into the skies each day, so the real opportunity hasn't gone anywhere. For you however, such time is a great test for your beliefs and your dreams, and you do have to look for opportunities harder, and they will be appearing on the horizon.

Before your dream of flying a widebody comes true, even in such situations, there are always steps you can take towards achieving your dream. If you want to take flying lessons, some instructors might be willing to teach you now for less, so that they do not sit home. You can focus on studying what you need to know before you get into the cockpit as well, and you will be thinking less about COVID. And then, once things will be normal, you realize that you took advantage of all opportunities this situation granted you, learned much from what you needed to learn, and are now ahead of the curve when pursuing your dream.

Best of luck and never give up!