Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptHadley
Topic Author

Trying to locate members

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:28 am

I know at one time, if memory serves me, there was a thread about members who have gone MIA. For a while I was in conversation with members MikeDrop, AirWorthy99 and DreadNaught. Our discussions ran the gamut from politics, to life partners for a couple and everything under the sun. I have not spoken to them for a spell now. Just wondering if anybody else has had any contact with them. I don't divulge info but one member was going thru a very rough personal time and i'm just a bit concerned. Anyways, if anybody has spoken with them could you drop me a DM, just concerned. Thanks, appreciate it.

Kiwirob

Re: Trying to locate members

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:05 am

You can also add Superfly, MadameConcorde, BMI,

flipdewaf

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:40 am

Kiwirob wrote:

I heard BMI got a new job in November 2016, I think he started in the January of 2017...

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b4thefall

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:13 am

Kiwirob wrote:

Yes, I've been lurking here since about 2000, and I clearly remember Superfly and his amusing posts. I also enjoyed MadameConcorde's posts, esp in the cruise liner thread. I never had any personal contact with either of them, but remember them well.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:32 am

Superfly is well and living a very good life - we caught up for dinner a few years ago in Bangkok. MadameConcorde pops up occasionally on FB groups - still seems happy, well and just as outspoken. As for BMI - not sure if you're meaning Lee from the UK, if so he's all well and good too.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:49 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
Superfly is well and living a very good life - we caught up for dinner a few years ago in Bangkok. MadameConcorde pops up occasionally on FB groups - still seems happy, well and just as outspoken. As for BMI - not sure if you're meaning Lee from the UK, if so he's all well and good too.

Just as another update, Superfly is indeed doing well. A few of us are lucky to hear from him on a regular basis here in the Southland.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

extender

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:32 am

What happened to the SlamClick I've read so much about?

johns624

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:53 pm

Superfly in Bangkok? I would have thought Duluth... :)
Didn't there used to be someone named DTWPurser or something who was very knowledgeable? Also, someone with AH64 in their name who was an Army helo pilot and really up on the military side of things?

Aesma

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Pihero ?

baroque ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:56 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:

BMIXXX was a young guy from the US lived at home with his parents and he had some wild ideas about person freedoms, quite the crackpot but fun to read.

TSS

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:16 pm

johns624 wrote:
Superfly in Bangkok? I would have thought Duluth... :)

Asian big girls need love too.

johns624 wrote:
Didn't there used to be someone named DTWPurser or something who was very knowledgeable?

The name might have been "DFWPurser", but I remember who you're talking about.

johns624 wrote:
Also, someone with AH64 in their name who was an Army helo pilot and really up on the military side of things?

You probably mean "UH60FtRucker" (I might be off on capitalization or spelling): Fun, intelligent, funny guy who, unless I'm much mistaken, just had twin boys about the time he disappeared from here. I'm not sure if he got booted in the "Great Purge" or if between kids and job he just didn't have the time to hang out on forums any more.

extender wrote:
What happened to the SlamClick I've read so much about?

Ehhh... he might be a casualty of the "Great Purge" like so many others, but I think he may have more or less stopped posting before that. The nicest way to describe him is to say he didn't suffer fools gladly, or you could just be blunt and say he was a world class grouch, but the man undeniably knew his stuff backwards and forwards and did have interesting stories to tell if he was in the right mood.

I'd like to hear from Fly2HMO, another guy like UH60FtRucker that I had almost nothing in common with but who I enjoyed conversing with nonetheless.

Aesma wrote:
Baroque ?

Baroque passed away not too long after the BP oil spill, maybe around 2010 or so. There was a thread on here about his passing.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:22 pm

TSS wrote:
he might be a casualty of the "Great Purge" like so many others

Doubtful - he wasn't really controversial. Just stopped posting at some point I think.

Aesma wrote:
Pihero ?

A lot of the people who used to post in Tech/Ops regularly are gone. B747Skipper, Slamclick, Pihero, etc. But there are others who have taken their places.

Aesma wrote:
baroque ?

Didn't he pass away a couple years ago?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

TSS

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:38 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Pihero ?

A lot of the people who used to post in Tech/Ops regularly are gone. B747Skipper, Slamclick, Pihero, etc. But there are others who have taken their places.

Very true. I think many of them find it wearing after 10, 20, 30, or more years doing what they do out in the real world to have 13 year olds who have never so much as sat in a Cessna tell them that they don't know what they're talking about and that some half-baked, hare-brained idea "will work if only one of the major airlines/manufacturers would just try it".

Speaking of Tech/Ops, who was the guy who used to organize and post the "Identify This Aircraft" threads? He was a cool guy despite his dubious fascination with VWs and unless I'm much mistaken was a mod for a while too.

johns624

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:06 pm

TSS wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Also, someone with AH64 in their name who was an Army helo pilot and really up on the military side of things?

You probably mean "UH60FtRucker" (I might be off on capitalization or spelling): Fun, intelligent, funny guy who, unless I'm much mistaken, just had twin boys about the time he disappeared from here. I'm not sure if he got booted in the "Great Purge" or if between kids and job he just didn't have the time to hang out on forums any more.
That's who I was thinking of. Thanks!

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:11 pm

What happened to KarelXWB?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BlueberryWheats

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:34 pm

More importantly, I want to know whatever became of FLairport.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

Jetsgo

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Was PHX787 the one who had the Japanese fetish?

I haven’t seen Klaus around in a while.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:05 pm

TSS wrote:
Speaking of Tech/Ops, who was the guy who used to organize and post the "Identify This Aircraft" threads? He was a cool guy despite his dubious fascination with VWs and unless I'm much mistaken was a mod for a while too.

2H4, I think. He was a Database Editor. He disappeared from the forums several years ago, though his name stayed on the crew list for a couple years after.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

TSS

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:07 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
More importantly, I want to know whatever became of FLairport.

I think he went through several of the big "I'm leaving and not coming back because y'all are making fun of me!!!" productions only to totally not do that, then just kinda did eventually quit posting without any fanfare.

It may have been him or someone else, but I seem to remember one member who was temporarily banned and once their ban was over they immediately made a huge show of threatening to leave and not come back... which of course they did not do.

seb146

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:07 pm

I thought we decided Dreadnaught is using a different name?

I wish I could remember the correct spellings of his name, but one I wonder about is something like IhadApheo? I know he had some medical issue and was also working in a hospital? That was years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. There was also a woman who would post long, long ago who loved the evil chipmunk eye meme. That was her thing.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 pm

seb146 wrote:
I thought we decided Dreadnaught is using a different name?

I wish I could remember the correct spellings of his name, but one I wonder about is something like IhadApheo? I know he had some medical issue and was also working in a hospital? That was years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. There was also a woman who would post long, long ago who loved the evil chipmunk eye meme. That was her thing.

I just though Dreadnought's ex wife found out he slept with her sister, and exacted some revenge.

I have seen Klaus here and there in the Brexit discussions

Others are gone for awhile and then return.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ER757

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:12 pm

TSS wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Pihero ?

Very true. I think many of them find it wearing after 10, 20, 30, or more years doing what they do out in the real world to have 13 year olds who have never so much as sat in a Cessna tell them that they don't know what they're talking about and that some half-baked, hare-brained idea "will work if only one of the major airlines/manufacturers would just try it".

This is exactly what happened with former member TDSCanuck - without revealing too much, I can tell you he had extensive knowledge of all things 787 and back in the flight test/certification program, there'd be users you describe doing just what you refer to. He finally had enough

910A

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:36 pm

Jetsgo wrote:

You are right...I went to his you tube channel and he still acts like a college kid..must be making some money off of it..

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:49 pm

I would think some of the MIAs are just using a different name. Ferpe is another who I haven't seen in a long time but IIRC he might have left around the time he was outed as being Björn Ferm?
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

nwadeicer

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Jetsgo wrote:

Yes, I believe he wanted to make a career being a youtube blogger vlogger or whatever they call themselves.
I miss the Red Tail

nwadeicer

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:36 pm

I wish that this site would return to the paid membership of the past. Feel it would weed out a lot of the garbage in the non-aviation section.
I miss the Red Tail

TSS

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:11 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
TSS wrote:

Was that really a thing? Or did people just slowly rotate out over a period of years?

It really was a thing. The people who bought the site from the original programmer got rid of A BUNCH of regular posters, some clearly controversial, some arguably controversial, and some that were not controversial at all that I ever saw. It was such a thing that if you mentioned the "Great Purge" while that group still owned the site, your post would get deleted. A lot of them went to a rival site immediately afterwards, but I don't know about since then. As I recall member "Queso" was one of the ones who got purged, along with pretty much anyone who participated in the target shooting meet-ups that he helped arrange. Long-term members, if I'm misremembering any details on this please feel free to correct me.

ER757

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 pm

TSS wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
TSS wrote:

Was that really a thing? Or did people just slowly rotate out over a period of years?

It really was a thing. The people who bought the site from the original programmer got rid of A BUNCH of regular posters, some clearly controversial, some arguably controversial, and some that were not controversial at all that I ever saw. It was such a thing that if you mentioned the "Great Purge" while that group still owned the site, your post would get deleted. A lot of them went to a rival site immediately afterwards, but I don't know about since then. As I recall member "Queso" was one of the ones who got purged, along with pretty much anyone who participated in the target shooting meet-ups that he helped arrange. Long-term members, if I'm misremembering any details on this please feel free to correct me.

Not sure what rival site you are referring to but I remember that during the purge I was contacted by a soon to be departing member of a.net about a new site they were starting and invited me to join. It was so long ago I don't recall the name of it but it was a pretty tacky place and there were virtually no rules. I posted a few times there but the place was so overrun with hooligans I stopped

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Probably one of the ones I miss the most. A rare combination of insight and, for lack of better jargon, user friendliness.

No question, he was great.

TSS wrote:

Pretty much correct. ANCFlyer, Queso, several others. I thought the whole thing was silly from both sides.

ER757 wrote:
Not sure what rival site you are referring to but I remember that during the purge I was contacted by a soon to be departing member of a.net about a new site they were starting and invited me to join. It was so long ago I don't recall the name of it but it was a pretty tacky place and there were virtually no rules. I posted a few times there but the place was so overrun with hooligans I stopped

A lot of the purged members did go to a new aviation site, which didn't last too long. They then migrated to another new site, which is still going. Forums aren't too lively there, but a lot of photos do get uploaded.

FGITD

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:59 pm

petertenthije wrote:
ER757 wrote:

http://www.airwhiners.net, but that site never really took of. Mostly folks ranting and complaining about a.net moderators and owners. Not that the moderators and owners did not deserve it...

Begs the question... what ever happened to scottysair?

I’ve been reading this site for years but just couldn’t mentally justify paying to join. But boy do I remember some of those names...

cpd

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:00 am

ER757 wrote:
TSS wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Was that the one with a similar sounding name to this site?

Ah, yes, someone else posted it.

Photos of planes is something I don’t do any more. I still have my own site but it doesn’t get much in the way of updates - I use it for hosting more than anything. Have other interests.
Last edited by cpd on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ER757

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:07 am

petertenthije wrote:
ER757 wrote:

http://www.airwhiners.net, but that site never really took of. Mostly folks ranting and complaining about a.net moderators and owners. Not that the moderators and owners did not deserve it...

That wasn't the one I was on, I can't for the life of me remember the actual name but airwhiners wasn't it. But suffice it to say it wasn't worth remembering so what little useful space I have left for memory in my old brain discarded it to save room for something I may actually need to remember one of these days :old:

Kent350787

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 am

Aesma wrote:

Baroque passed away not too long after the BP oil spill, maybe around 2010 or so. There was a thread on here about his passing.

Baroque and I worked out that he'd possibly been one of my lecturers at university. Sorely missed as a voice of reason at times - my last PM from him was 9 years ago.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Aesma

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:48 am

I figured it was that but I missed the thread at the time : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1217387

I also have 9 years old PM from him, how time flies !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

lugie

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:17 am

Jetsgo wrote:

Do you mean "under the wing you know" Klaus??? Ohhhh that brings back a lot of memories for me...

Around 2012 / 2013 his super frequent trip reports were what got me interested in this page and eventually convinced me to sign up (which I still had to pay for). I haven't seen any of those in years now that I think about it.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

JJJ

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 am

Jetsgo wrote:

He still pokes around in the Brexit thread every once in a while.

Silver1SWA

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:14 am

ER757 wrote:
TSS wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

This is exactly what happened with former member TDSCanuck - without revealing too much, I can tell you he had extensive knowledge of all things 787 and back in the flight test/certification program, there'd be users you describe doing just what you refer to. He finally had enough

Add OPNLguy to the list. If I recall it was the immature users and drama with site changes and moderation he finally had enough and said peace out. His presence in Civ/Av and TechOps has been missed...although it is nice to be able to post anything related to our employer without immediately receiving a PM saying be careful what you say.

And dang, that airwhiners drama brings back a lot of memories. I had forgotten about all of that. What a crazy time around here.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Jetsgo

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:21 pm

The most ironic thing about the Great Purge in my opinion was the guy who led Demand Media at the time was killed in a general aviation accident almost immediately afterward. I don’t recall there being a lot of sympathy though as he was directly responsible for a lot of the sites militant actions.

Airwhiners was always just a parody. The purged members created netAirspace which you can Google and browse the usernames for a trip down memory lane.

The only forum member I ever met in person was NeilYYZ. We spent a cold January afternoon drinking in Windsor, Canada. Young and dumb at the time, probably made an ass of myself, but it was fun nonetheless.
Last edited by Jetsgo on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vikkyvik

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:27 pm

petertenthije wrote:
www.airwhiners.net, but that site never really took of.

That site wasn't new at the time of the Great Purge. It had been around for years. It was actually pretty funny back in the day, before it got more....I dunno, vitriolic, I guess.

ER757 wrote:
That wasn't the one I was on, I can't for the life of me remember the actual name but airwhiners wasn't it.

AirSpaceOnline. Only lasted a little while, was then "replaced" by netairspace.com.

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:27 pm

Aesma wrote:
I figured it was that but I missed the thread at the time : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1217387

I also have 9 years old PM from him, how time flies !

There was also a moderator named Hercules(?) from South Africa that also died a number of years ago.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

ER757

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:31 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
www.airwhiners.net, but that site never really took of.

That site wasn't new at the time of the Great Purge. It had been around for years. It was actually pretty funny back in the day, before it got more....I dunno, vitriolic, I guess.

ER757 wrote:
That wasn't the one I was on, I can't for the life of me remember the actual name but airwhiners wasn't it.

AirSpaceOnline. Only lasted a little while, was then "replaced" by netairspace.com.

Yeah - that was it! Good memory.
A couple other members I miss seeing posts from are Udo (who changed his ID to Planehunter) and ScarletHarlot. Years ago, she and her husband organized an a.nut meet-up in Seattle and we got quite a good turnout. We stayed in touch for a couple years but haven't been in contact since.

OA412

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Jetsgo wrote:
The most ironic thing about the Great Purge in my opinion was the guy who led Demand Media at the time was killed in a general aviation accident almost immediately afterward. I don’t recall there being a lot of sympathy though as he was directly responsible for a lot of the sites militant actions.

The purged members created netAirspace which you can Google and browse the usernames for a trip down memory lane.

It was an odd situation. A lot of weird childishness. I remember some of these so-called purged members were actually celebrating the man's death. It's an internet forum, and if you're that hurt about being banned, you've got some pretty big issues.

That other site was indeed created, then it turned out there was some embezzlement drama. The person who created it was taking donations, but not actually putting them toward the site, rather lining his own pockets. Very strange stuff.

People refer to that time as "the good old days." I don't know. Some of those users were a bit much, to say the least.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

vikkyvik

Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:45 pm

OA412 wrote:
It was an odd situation. A lot of weird childishness. I remember some of these so-called purged members were actually celebrating the man's death. It's an internet forum, and if you're that hurt about being banned, you've got some pretty big issues.That other site was indeed created, then it turned out there was some embezzlement drama. The person who created it was taking donations, but not actually putting them toward the site, rather lining his own pockets. Very strange stuff. People refer to that time as "the good old days." I don't know. Some of those users were a bit much, to say the least.

Quoted for truth. The whole post is quite accurate.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:26 pm

ER757 wrote:
TSS wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

I'll second that. I've been lurking on this site since 2000 and had always enjoyed Tom's posts - to say that he knew his stuff would be an understatement. Pihero, PilotAydin (not too sure of the spelling here) - those were the guys that had a lot to contribute. Sadly, due to the the reasons you mentioned above, they left.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:30 pm

What's wrong with world class grouches? LOL
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

NIKV69

Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:36 pm

FGITD wrote:
Begs the question... what ever happened to scottysair?

Still lives in the southwest and spots. He used to ask me all the time via fb to spot at PHX but I tried to explain being at IFP I never really got there that much and we just lost touch.

OA412 wrote:
It was an odd situation. A lot of weird childishness. I remember some of these so-called purged members were actually celebrating the man's death. It's an internet forum, and if you're that hurt about being banned, you've got some pretty big issues.

I remember that and yea it was real bad. No matter what you think of someone if you are happy they died in a plane crash you need major help.
I am the Googlizer!!!

jetmatt777

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Some good memories of these names above. how times change.

A well-known user of the chat function, but he also was the one who started doing pilot trip reports in the trip reports section. He posted 7 or 8 of them, but eventually his employer made him take them down. If you were around way back then (2005 ish) and visited either of those you would likely remember him, seven3seven. He was a Captain for Southwest, obviously on the 737. He passed away recently.

Jetsgo

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 am

Does anyone know what Johan is up to these days? It’s been well over ten years since he sold the site.

WildcatYXU

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:40 am

Jetsgo wrote:
The only forum member I ever met in person was NeilYYZ. We spent a cold January afternoon drinking in Windsor, Canada. Young and dumb at the time, probably made an ass of myself, but it was fun nonetheless.

I've met two A-net members in person. First was Fly747. He's not posting anymore, but we are in contact. The second member I met is Falstaff. Unfortunately, we lost contact and I don't see him posting either.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

qf789

Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:31 am

Jetsgo wrote:
Does anyone know what Johan is up to these days? It’s been well over ten years since he sold the site.

He is CEO of EasyJet
Forum Moderator