Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetsgo

Re: Trying to locate members

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:02 am

qf789 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
Does anyone know what Johan is up to these days? It’s been well over ten years since he sold the site.

He is CEO of EasyJet

Amazing. Somehow I missed that update. Good for him!
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

jetmatt777

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:04 am

Jetsgo wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
Does anyone know what Johan is up to these days? It’s been well over ten years since he sold the site.

He is CEO of EasyJet

Not the same one....

Jetsgo

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:42 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

He is CEO of EasyJet

Not the same one....

Oops :white:
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Silver1SWA

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:13 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Some good memories of these names above. how times change.

A well-known user of the chat function, but he also was the one who started doing pilot trip reports in the trip reports section. He posted 7 or 8 of them, but eventually his employer made him take them down. If you were around way back then (2005 ish) and visited either of those you would likely remember him, seven3seven. He was a Captain for Southwest, obviously on the 737. He passed away recently.

I’m still in shock. I saw him a few times as he flew through HNL regularly right before the pandemic hit. I had the pleasure of giving his family a ramp tour back in February. I always enjoyed saying hi and chatting with him as he flew through my stations. One of the first internet friends I met in real life. So sad.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jetmatt777

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:39 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
Some good memories of these names above. how times change.

A well-known user of the chat function, but he also was the one who started doing pilot trip reports in the trip reports section. He posted 7 or 8 of them, but eventually his employer made him take them down. If you were around way back then (2005 ish) and visited either of those you would likely remember him, seven3seven. He was a Captain for Southwest, obviously on the 737. He passed away recently.

I’m still in shock. I saw him a few times as he flew through HNL regularly right before the pandemic hit. I had the pleasure of giving his family a ramp tour back in February. I always enjoyed saying hi and chatting with him as he flew through my stations. One of the first internet friends I met in real life. So sad.

Yep. Great guy, met him countless times over the past 15 years. We always stayed in touch over text or facebook once A.net started to decline and the chat function went away. One good thing to come from this website was the ability to form friends for life. It used to be more of a community, doesn't seem so much anymore.

jetwet1

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:01 pm

What happened to Philsquared ?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:58 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

There's another blast from the past! Though I believe his username is Philsquares. I'd like to know what happened to him too.

ER757

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:11 pm

889091 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
TSS wrote:

This is exactly what happened with former member TDSCanuck - without revealing too much, I can tell you he had extensive knowledge of all things 787 and back in the flight test/certification program, there'd be users you describe doing just what you refer to. He finally had enough

I'll second that. I've been lurking on this site since 2000 and had always enjoyed Tom's posts - to say that he knew his stuff would be an understatement. Pihero, PilotAydin (not too sure of the spelling here) - those were the guys that had a lot to contribute. Sadly, due to the the reasons you mentioned above, they left.

As it happens, I'll see Tom on Saturday - a few of us Seattle area av-geeks are getting together at a park for a socially distanced happy hour. I'll tell him a few folks fondly remember him

zkojq

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Mariner died two years ago sadly. I really miss his contributions to the NZ Aviation threads. They've gone downhill since he left.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S ... reenwriter)

TSS wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Baroque ?

Baroque passed away not too long after the BP oil spill, maybe around 2010 or so. There was a thread on here about his passing.

Wow ten years already. Seems like only a year or two ago. Definitely one of my most respected users. Loved his trip reports too.

ER757 wrote:
This is exactly what happened with former member TDSCanuck - without revealing too much, I can tell you he had extensive knowledge of all things 787 and back in the flight test/certification program, there'd be users you describe doing just what you refer to. He finally had enough

TDSCanuck is still active over at PPRUNE, Under a different username.

ER757 wrote:
As it happens, I'll see Tom on Saturday - a few of us Seattle area av-geeks are getting together at a park for a socially distanced happy hour. I'll tell him a few folks fondly remember him

Add me to that list.
First to fly the 787-9

vikkyvik

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:36 pm

ER757 wrote:

Tell him I say hi, if you would. He is missed over in Tech/Ops.

WildcatYXU wrote:
The second member I met is Falstaff. Unfortunately, we lost contact and I don't see him posting either.

Interesting - he was active on here until fairly recently.

I've met quite a few members at a BOS meet (back in 2006 or so) and an LAX meet (2008 maybe?). Then met a couple others randomly at LAX, or otherwise.

I've often wondered how KevinL1011 is doing. Met him at a Jeff Beck concert, if memory serves.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

extender

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Met a few members and ex-members at LAX in November, The ex guys do get together in some neat places like LIS, BCN, MIA, MAN, AMS... I need to get out more often.

mmo

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:18 pm

889091 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

There's another blast from the past! Though I believe his username is Philsquares. I'd like to know what happened to him too.

He was a great victim of the purge and just got fed up with the games being played. He was at the same VVIP carrier I was in AUH. We were both on the 400. Real nice guy. I know he is retired now and enjoying life.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

tdscanuck

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:45 pm

zkojq wrote:

He very much is not. Contrary to rumour, I didn't run from a.net because of the environment, I left because I couldn't maintain my professional obligations while posting to a.net. CM left about the same time, for the same reasons.

Hi everybody. I miss you.
Tom.

Tugger

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:35 pm

tdscanuck wrote:
zkojq wrote:

He very much is not. Contrary to rumour, I didn't run from a.net because of the environment, I left because I couldn't maintain my professional obligations while posting to a.net. CM left about the same time, for the same reasons.

Tom.

:rotfl:
Awesome! :laughing:
The quiet watchers are the scariest....

While the site has changed a lot over the years, I am glad I found it and I really try to keep focused on the good stuff. All the drivel and self-anointed geniuses will drive you mad if you let it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

NIKV69

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:42 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

He is CEO of EasyJet

Not the same one....

Was about to say Johan isn't 3 years older than me lol
I am the Googlizer!!!

ER757

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:30 pm

tdscanuck wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Tom.

Well - you think you know a guy, and then he blows up your post - LOL :lol:
I guess my memory ain't what it used to be, thought you got fed up with kids in their Moms' basements saying you didn't know what you were talking about in the 787 threads. I know I used to just sit here and laugh when I'd read them.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 pm

tdscanuck wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Tom.

Great to hear from you Tom! I reckon you've just broken the record on a.net for longest period between posts! :-)

AirWorthy99

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:34 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
AirWorthy99 .

I was away on involuntary exile for some time. Which made me again realize I was spending way too much time in this forum. I was here around 12-14 years ago, left because of the distraction on my daily life. Will try to avoid and just linger around not that often since this forum is just way too much of a distraction for me.

Thanks for your concern!
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister