JJJ wrote:A101 wrote:Klaus wrote:Soo... you're trying to claim that a no-deal Brexit will make no difference whatsoever, even though there will be massive new trade impediments erected by it?
And all that while trying to keep a straight face?
I haven’t claimed anything of the sort, look at what I wrote.
Of all the car manufacturing in the UK 20% is for the domestic market the other 80% are for exports.
The EU as a collective take about 52% the rest going to third nations.out of that 52% are brands that will most likely have no effect wether an additional tariff is applied or not as they are out of the realms of the ordinary car buying public stuff like the Bentley Mclarens Aston Martin Lotus &Carterham.
Yes but what's the relative volume of one group vs the other?
There will always be some place for niche players of some sort that make ultra-luxury or ultra-sporty cars (not particularly profitable, but the niche is there), but the meat is in the mass market and just regular luxury segment.
Aston Martin as a whole has a turnover of about 1b, Sunderland produces 10 times that value in Nissans.
Bentley belongs to VW, Mini belongs to BMW, Aston Martin uses MB engines. Not that long ago no one thought that MGs would be anything other than British and there they are making cars as part of a Chinese conglomerate in China.
More importantly, the UK still enjoys lots of other trade agreements with 3rd countries. I absolutely don't know how many cars are among the things regulated, for example with the particial trade agreements between the EU and America it is. The UK will fall out of all those agreements with a hard Brexit. So in that respect the 3rd country argument is highly misleading. Sure, high end brands might not suffer that much, but even those trading on WTO must harm them too. If McLaren cost 1,5times as much as a Ferarri, the McLaren might be a little bit more special .