Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Grizzly410

Re: Brexit Part IX: Final rush to No Deal

Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Says it ALL
"And so he has decided that, rather than face the possibility of tariffs and barriers being imposed in future, he will choose the certainty of tariffs and barriers in three weeks’ time."

prebennorholm

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:37 am

At the Thursday EU summit in Brussels Ursula von der Leyen gave a briefing of her Wednesday talks with Johnson.

Based on that the Danish govt today (Friday) adviced Danish businesses to initiate all relevant administrative preparations for a hard Brexit as anything else is considered highly unlikely.

New subject: Today the British Pound reached an all time record low value against the Euro. 92 pence for a Euro.

Happy New Year !

zkojq

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:06 am

Interesting point on James O'Brien's show: Of the UK "expats" (ie immigrants) who have moved to Spain, the ones who were remainers are the ones much better prepared for the end of the transition period. The ones who supported vote leave in many cases still haven't done basic things like getting a Spanish drivers license because they believe that Boris is going to save them.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1336299830474371078

The point was also made that even if a deal is agreed imminently, Boris kicked out all his moderate MPs who might have voted for it. Can Boris afford for it to be Labor votes that pass a deal?

Is anyone really surprised?

A101 wrote:
Voting in UK elections are not a two horse race but multiple parties and are by not having compulsory voting also skews results to a degree

Both labour and Conservatives combined results(24,262,363) exceed 50% of the Registered voters 47,568,611 (@50%=23,784,305.5) only 67.3% turned out to vote those 2 parties alone captured 75.8% of voters that turned out with the Tories winning 43% of the vote is actually overwhelming when there was over 26 parties contesting the election

So you'll apply this same logic to Scottish Independence with the Scottish election results?

AeroVega wrote:
That does not change the fact that the British people had the opportunity to overturn Brexit by voting LibDem. All those traditional Labour voters that voted Tory in 2019 could have voted LibDems if they wanted Brexit to be stopped. But they did not. They wanted Brexit done so they voted Tory instead.

The voted for Boris' WA which he now plans on breaking. How do you possibly sell that as a victory?

Grizzly410 wrote:
You know that it is as simple as doing "labour manifesto 2019" in the google search bar, do you ?

Labour will give the people the final say on Brexit. Within three months of coming to power, a Labour government will secure a sensible deal. And within six months, we will put that deal to a public vote alongside the option to remain.
A Labour government will implement whatever the people decide.

https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-2019.pdf

Your interpretation : Yeah we know were Labour would have us end up, remaining in the EU.

Now, or your post was pure fiction as I suggested, or you think people would have decided to reverse Brexit but you wouldn't want to back the will of the people this time around.
Tell me, which one is it ?

Or maybe A101 knows that Brexit would never pass if it was put to a referendum today (well, six months ago)? :lol:

Reinhardt wrote:
So no deal with the EU is ok and no deal with the US is ok for brexiteers now. Wonderful. Just Canada and some ex British empire countries to trade with easily. That'll work.

Their goalpost moving is impressive!

sabenapilot wrote:
The EBA has just given a big blow to the City of London with a very strict interpretation of its rules, effectively making it all but impossilble for the UK to oversee any derivate activities performed on behalf of customers in the EU, from the City.

Passporting for British banks was off the table a long time ago as was equivalence, but now mutual recognition will be lost too, meaning a British bank can not work for a EU customer... unless this bank applies EU rules.

In short: British banks need to keep following all EU rules also in the UK if they want to serve EU customers.

More jobs for Paris then? That's a win as far as I'm concerned.

Aesma wrote:
I've read on the Express website some political guy arguing that "Merkel is the real Brexit villain", not for her current stance, but for not giving in on immigration to Cameron, who needed something more to win the referendum.

The difference between Merkel vs von der Leyen being that that the British press hasn't spent the past 15 years telling everyone that von der Leyen is the source of all their problems. ;)

sabenapilot wrote:
If the UK wants access to the SM, it's going to have to play by its rules: It's very much the seller who sets the terms here, not the buyer unfortunately.

~2,200 post of this thread could essentially be summarised by that statement.

bennett123 wrote:
Aesma

Sounds like another huge government IT project.

They tend to fall flat on their face.

Don't worry, just outsource it to SERCO. /s :duck:

Aesma wrote:
Yeah I should definitely switch jobs and learn to code 2+2, should be enough to get a contract for millions.

That depends: A) are you a Tory donor or B) are you friends with a Tory Minister/Cabinet member? If not then I'm afraid you're going to struggle.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-balances

A101 wrote:
Providing office space is a long way from what the EU wanted via its proposal to open a technical office in Belfast with specific technical capabilities whatever that actually means

Of all the things to be claiming victory on...

zkojq

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:06 am

sabenapilot wrote:
This meeting is simply staged for the British press to have BoJo go to Brussels as a proof he tries very hard to get a deal done.
It would have been quite strange for him to predend he did just that, while he'd never even visited Brussels in person once since these negotiations started...

Indeed. I liked the EU response though:

Brexit's fishy business called for turbot-charged talks
Even the food followed the negotiators’ agenda as Boris Johnson met Ursula von der Leyen in Brussels.

Fish was on the menu for Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen – and not just as one of the key issues of the Brexit talks. As part of their starter at the Wednesday dinner at the Berlaymont in Brussels, the two leaders dined on one of the most contentious subjects of the negotiations: scallops.

British and French fishermen have clashed over access rights to scallop beds in the Baie de Seine, off the coast of Normandy in northern France. No deal on fishing could lead to skirmishes on the seas similar to the 2018 “scallop wars”. Negotiations are thought to be close on the level of access for EU boats to seas within the UK’s 200-mile exclusive economic zone, with a transition period for phasing in changes. But David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator, tabled new demands on Sunday about the ownership of vessels in British seas.

After the starter of pumpkin soup and scallops, another seafood dish was served for main course, perhaps to keep the easily diverted Johnson on message. This time it was turbot, also found in British waters, served steamed with mashed potatoes with wasabi and vegetables. Turbot is one of the demersal fish that the UK is happy to include in a deal – unlike mackerel, a pelagic fish, which the UK has suggested should be removed from talks.

Dessert was the less controversial pavlova with fruit.

sabenapilot wrote:
After which M. Gove today in Parliament tooted that there will be no mini EU embassy in Belfast and hailed that as a great victory!

If Gove says it's not happening then we should probably clear our calendars in preparation for the opening date. :D

sabenapilot

Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:46 am

zkojq wrote:
sabenapilot wrote:
After which M. Gove today in Parliament tooted that there will be no mini EU embassy in Belfast and hailed that as a great victory!

If Gove says it's not happening then we should probably clear our calendars in preparation for the opening date. :D

So true. :)

Seriously,this shows how important appearance is to brexiteers.

Brexiteers couldn't care less that UK custom officers in NI are going to be supervised by EU officials as they enforce a custom border down the Irish Sea (!), what is important to Brexiteers is that these EU officials which will have total freedom and full autority don't do it from an impressive building with a big EU flag on it (note how M. Gove used the word embassy to describe this horror thought...), no it must be done discretely so -hopefully- nobody will notice and brexiteers can pretend to have at least saved their face.

I suppose there will be a side-protocol signed too which will describe in the most ridiculous detail how exactly the building may be made to look on the outside by the EU, how road signs should mark it, what should be printed on the back of the yellow jackets the EU officials will wear when they go out to do their jobs and how their badges should identify these officials, all to avoid that there's too much yellow and blue or the word 'European' to be seen anywhere... The price for all that goodwill from the EU doesn't matter to the UK, it seems: it will pay whatever it costs, just as it agreed to pick up the bill to house the EU's custom administration in NI too.

I'd say that is precisely the way in which a vassal state behaves, isn't it? ;)
Ironic offer from a government which is obsessed by the imaginary risk of being turned into a EU vassal state by simply agreeing to common trade standards in future too in return for zero tariffs for its entire economy which exports almost half its production to the EU, while at the same time voluntarily subjecting to pure vassalage behaviour for the sake of an office building with a flag and some roadsings towards it in NI!

AeroVega

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Here's a suggestion for the UK in case of no-deal. Let the EU pay for the privilege of fishing in UK waters for the next 37 years for the round figure of 39 billion pounds and the following payment schedule:

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:42 pm

AeroVega wrote:
Here's a suggestion for the UK in case of no-deal. Let the EU pay for the privilege of fishing in UK waters for the next 37 years for the round figure of 39 billion pounds and the following payment schedule:

Considering that most fish served on UK tables anyway comes from non UK waters, Scallops from French waters and the fish from Uk waters is mainly exported to EU this can become interesting.

UK fishermen should pay to Islandic, Norwegian and French fishermen for the rights to fish there, pay to land their catch in EU ports now when it will take too long time for the trucks to pass Dover.

Then EU fishermen can pay back this to UK fishermen.

What have we then gained?

Remember that the conflict cuts both ways. UK fishermen wants to fish high value products in EU waters as well like Scallops;

"The scallop conflict began when French fishermen believe that British fishermen were coming within France’s twelve-mile zone inside the Bay of Seine (between Cherbourg and La Harve) to dredge for scallops."

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/scallop-conflict/

Perhaps some UK people can tell us where this picture is taken? In UK or France?

Aesma

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:57 pm

BoJo making jokes about the French, how classy ! He probably didn't know that VDL was Macron's proposal for Commission President, not Merkel's ?

Nice touch, the fish dinner, I must say !

I'm not a Tory donor but I can donate 5000£ or some similar ridiculously low amount, that seems to be enough for a one man, just created company to get a 100 million £ contract ! I will hire my cousin that is better at coding than me, and crucially has plenty of experience hiring Indian programmers to do the work, it can't go wrong.

Dutchy

Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:57 pm

AeroVega wrote:

Do you mean the fish born in EU waters? Fish is a non-starter, pure symbolic...... 39bn is for past commitments.

bennett123

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:01 pm

How much of that £39BN is still to be paid?.

SQ22

Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:02 pm

May I remind you to provide a link to your source when uploading images? This applies to charts as well.

Klaus

Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:47 pm

zkojq wrote:

Just slightly at this point any more.

But it's still even more classless and even more unprofessional than I would have expected, and even more pointless and self-harming as well.

ElPistolero

Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Here’s a gem:

“What this amounted to was the same threat as before: you can choose to deviate from any future rules we lay down – but it will be at the price of losing access to our market.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -part-dna/

Granted, Janet Daley has never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but what exactly is she (and Brexiteers writ large) expecting?

The notion that the UK should be able to access the Single Market in perpetuity while diverging on regulations after a deal is reached under some medieval version of sovereignty, is so incredibly daft one can only question the intellectual ability of those who think it makes sense.

But yes, brexiteers are definitely at least as smart as everyone else. Notwithstanding the things they themselves profess to believe.

AeroVega

Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:24 pm

bennett123 wrote:
How much of that £39BN is still to be paid?.

Ah, yes, sorry. The correct figure is £25bn. That's a bargain!

bennett123

Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:55 pm

My understanding is those payments are things we have already committed to.

Sure we could tear up these agreements.

However, that would only underline that the UK are unreliable partners in ANY agreement.

Not a good position when we are trying to reach new agreements with Non EU countries.

bennett123

Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:57 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55271580

Mr Johnson said: "It's looking very, very likely we'll have to go for a solution that I think will be wonderful for the UK.

"If there's a big offer, a big change in what they're saying then I must say that I'm yet to see it."

If it is ' a solution that I think will be wonderful for the UK. why is it a case of 'having to go for it'

Sounds like complete wishfull thinking.

seahawk

Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Or why do you wait for an offer, if the alternative is wonderful?

Grizzly410

Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:27 pm

seahawk wrote:
Or why do you wait for an offer, if the alternative is wonderful?

And why no commemorative coin this time round ???

It's like none really want to own this fantastic result. Why is that ?

scbriml

Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:16 pm

zkojq wrote:

Of course not, it's exactly what the mentally challenged Brextreemists wanted all along.

A no-deal Brexit in the middle of a pandemic. What could possibly go wrong? :banghead:

A101

Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:58 pm

bennett123 wrote:

However, that would only underline that the UK are unreliable partners in ANY agreement.

Not a good position when we are trying to reach new agreements with Non EU countries.

Whilst we have more agreements to strike, we already have agreements with about 100 non EU nations

sabenapilot

Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:01 pm

scbriml wrote:
zkojq wrote:

A no-deal Brexit in the middle of a pandemic. What could possibly go wrong? :banghead:

But BoJo told us Britain will thrive mightily and it's all going to be a Titanic success... I wonder when the iceberg will show up on the horizon? ;)

Dutchy

Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:14 pm

scbriml wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Of course not, it's exactly what the mentally challenged Brextreemists wanted all along.

Wrong? It is intentional by now. What will happen with a no-deal Brexit is well known by now. So it is by choice, nobody can claim that they didn't know. So the consequences are something which the Brexiteers want. So be it.

flyingturtle

Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:24 pm

The whole charade so expertly executed by the UK premier, Bonzo Garbonzo, shall have an end tomorrow evening. :yuck:

I just hope my UK friends won't suffer much. :crying:

zkojq

Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:57 pm

Don't worry guys, looks like Macron is going to make the EU capitulate at any moment now. ;)

Another gem:

I guess the more you read headlines from The Express, the more it becomes clear the way that the average Brexiteer thinks and the world-view that they espouse. It's somewhat of a wonder that "remain" got as much as 48% of the referendum vote when you consider how the British Press (82% pro-leave by circulation) have been dragging the EU through the mud for 40+ years.

I still don't understand how it can make you think that Etonian elitists like Boris and JRM are somehow looking out for your best interests though.

SomebodyInTLS

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:16 am

LJ wrote:
Maybe it's mee but I've read the article two times this afternoon, but this article is much worse than the average Express articles (which are already of a not so high quality).

Well that's what I meant about the journalist not understanding things. I admit I don't know exactly what the Biden team said, but my interpretation of that terribly written article is that it's about the US/EU trade dispute. In which case, of course, the UK would no longer be involved - so the UK has nothing to say in the matter.

VSMUT

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 am

zkojq wrote:
I still don't understand how it can make you think that Etonian elitists like Boris and JRM are somehow looking out for your best interests though.

And why do the British look up to people speaking with Etonian dialect, when the rest of the world considers it clownish?

Grizzly410

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:26 am

A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Whilst we have more agreements to strike, we already have agreements with about 100 non EU nations

Congrats.
Really, what an achievment.

marcelh

Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:46 am

A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

About 100? Your government has a list and it’s roughly 60.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries#trade-agreements-from-1-january-2021

Dutchy

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:35 am

Another day, another self-imposed deadline by Johnson. We'll see what will happen tonight.

gkirk

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 am

marcelh wrote:
A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries#trade-agreements-from-1-january-2021

And many of those are small,Caribbean nations(no disrespect to them). No doubt where the Tories rich friends have second homes/keep their money?

marcelh

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:49 am

gkirk wrote:
marcelh wrote:
A101 wrote:

And many of those are small,Caribbean nations(no disrespect to them). No doubt where the Tories rich friends have second homes/keep their money?

I really don’t know. A lot of those counties have strong ties with the UK as part of their former glory, so those agreements are also very important for those countries. It’s just mind blowing that the UK hasn’t done a better job. OK, they always can blame the EU/Germany/France and the Brextremists will accept it.

A101

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:00 am

marcelh wrote:
A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

https://facts4eu.org/news/2020_dec_more_uk_trade

seahawk

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:21 am

Yes, especially the Norway and Swiss agreements are a breakthrough with the "mutatis mutandis” clause when it comes to the relationship between those countries and the EU. Big win for the UK.

AeroVega

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:22 am

A101 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
A101 wrote:

I'm sure the UK will eventually have trade agreements with all countries it currently has trade agreements with through the EU. That's not really significant, though. What is significant is whether those trade agreements will be any better than what the UK has now. If not then Brexit gains the UK nothing trade-wise, at the risk of losing tariff- and quota-free access to the 43% of its export and 52% of its import market.

Dutchy

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:56 am

A101 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
A101 wrote:

So is any of those 102 agreements - let's assume this is correct from a Brexiteers website - actually better than the UK enjoyed within the EU? We know the Japan agreement is worse and a lot of others are rollovers till something permanent can be arranged.

Arion640

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:38 am

Poor French fisherman. Will be out of a job shortly.

A101

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:49 am

Dutchy wrote:
A101 wrote:

So is any of those 102 agreements - let's assume this is correct from a Brexiteers website - actually better than the UK enjoyed within the EU? We know the Japan agreement is worse and a lot of others are rollovers till something permanent can be arranged.

https://fullfact.org/economy/japan-eu-deal-thornberry/
Ultimately, while it seems like additional provisions in the UK’s deal will have little impact, trade experts also do not expect the new deal to be worse than the old one.

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:10 am

Arion640 wrote:

Not if they fish Scallops it seems.

I suppose that the fishing aimed at the EU markets will need to adjust and go for other seas. Exporting from UK will be ccomplicated so the big winner is the fish migrated from EU waters to UK waters...

AeroVega

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:17 am

Arion640 wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. Those same French fishermen can do an aweful lot of damage to the UK by blocking French harbours, and you might be surprised by the level of sympathy they will get.

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:28 am

AeroVega wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. Those same French fishermen can do an aweful lot of damage to the UK by blocking French harbours, and you might be surprised by the level of sympathy they will get.

Beside blocking UK exports they can start to smugle refugees from French soil to UK ;-)

This is an example of Danish fishermen smugling refugees to Sweden as a great example ;-)

https://utopiayouarestandinginit.com/20 ... ound-1943/

flyingturtle

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Talks will continue, BBC just said.

Has this nightmare not an end?

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:05 pm

The negotiations will continue and not finish today.

Considering that not many days remains until end of 2020 do they consider one extension until the FTA can become legally implemented?

Arion640

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:22 pm

AeroVega wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Bring it on!

And you know that would be illegal. What we would be doing would be perfectly legal after the end of the year.

Arion640

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:23 pm

olle wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Not if they fish Scallops it seems.

I suppose that the fishing aimed at the EU markets will need to adjust and go for other seas. Exporting from UK will be ccomplicated so the big winner is the fish migrated from EU waters to UK waters...

Yep it will.

WIederling

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:27 pm

zkojq wrote:
Interesting point on James O'Brien's show: Of the UK "expats" (ie immigrants) who have moved to Spain, the ones who were remainers are the ones much better prepared for the end of the transition period. The ones who supported vote leave in many cases still haven't done basic things like getting a Spanish drivers license because they believe that Boris is going to save them.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1336299830474371078

The point was also made that even if a deal is agreed imminently, Boris kicked out all his moderate MPs who might have voted for it. Can Boris afford for it to be Labor votes that pass a deal?

What does BJ think he has behind his back as a fount of replenished greatness for Brittain?
He is apparently mad but not dumb. And those in power that support Brexit are known to work for their own advantage.

Some big secret promise from the US? USA 50second state status with full US voting rights or some such?

Both: voting for Brexit and voting for Trump were carefully managed acts of eliciting a Cerebellum-driven response from voters.
Farrage seems to have understood the poisoned gift quality of the "Lets go BREXIT" outcome early on. and .. vanished ( more or less ).

Bank of Scotland has offered rather good day2day conditions for deposit accounts in Germany.
0.1% in recent times. But for the time spanning the year end effective BREXIT they've upped
their offer to .4%. Looks like they want EURs on their hands.

marcelh

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:49 pm

A101 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
A101 wrote:

So the UK government has it wrong.... :white: :white: :white:

LabQuest

Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:56 pm

How many extended deadlines does this make now?

I don't think its ever going to actually happen.

flyingturtle

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:01 pm

LabQuest wrote:
How many extended deadlines does this make now?

I don't think its ever going to actually happen.

Don't worry, the transition period is fixed by law - December 31st.

proest

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 pm

flyingturtle wrote:

Just wondering, what position did the BBC take? How do they cover Brexit, it this point seems almost impossible to cover it relatively neutral?

flyingturtle

Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:59 pm

proest wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

Just wondering, what position did the BBC take? How do they cover Brexit, it this point seems almost impossible to cover it relatively neutral?

I think BBC is pretty much neutral. Their commentators (like Laura Kuenssberg and Katya Adler) point out the obvious flaws in BoJo's strategy, but that doesn't make them partial.