Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Heat Wave Across the United States

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:38 am

Over the next few days, a high pressure heat dome will cover much of the United States, causing record high temperatures, including along the coast. Record heat has been seen in the Midwest, Northeast, and Desert Southwest over the past few days. Temperatures will be 10 or more degrees above average across a large swath of the nation and windstorm are a possibility with the heat. This month, Buffalo, New York and Miami reached 98 degrees, which are close to the record highs for both cities. A very crazy heat wave taking place nationwide right now.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... utType=amp

einsteinboricua

Re: Heat Wave Across the United States

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 am

Iconic...better build a museum or memorial!

ArchGuy1 wrote:
windstorm are a possibility with the heat

This is misleading. The whole thing about a high pressure system is that there is absolutely NOTHING to move the weather inside it. Besides typical cumulus clouds, skies are usually clear and unless you live near the mountains or close to the sea (where wind blows due to temperature differences), wind speed is usually minimal. The chance for windstorms is associated with the leading edge of the high pressure system as it moves and presses against the jetstream. Cold air in the jetstream boundary may be lifted by the warm air from the high pressure, form storms, and be pushed along the jetstream with a boost from the rotation of the high pressure system.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

seb146

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42 am

Where???? We have a week off and it has been cold here! It got clear up to 67F on the inland side here today. People are complaining about "the heat" but, really, c'mon... give me the heat from my childhood! Give me 95F.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:18 am

Why is this crazy?

It's a heat wave. They happen every year. Some last longer than others. Some are hotter than others.

I remember one in 1999 (I remember it because it was the first year in my first house and I had just gotten the lawn to where it looked great), where we had record heat in August, with a drought. Something like 22 days over 90F, and 5 weeks without measurable precipitation.

It's hot and it'll stay hot for a week or so, then it will be "seasonable" which means it will still be hot.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:43 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Iconic...better build a museum or memorial!

ArchGuy1 wrote:
windstorm are a possibility with the heat

This is misleading. The whole thing about a high pressure system is that there is absolutely NOTHING to move the weather inside it. Besides typical cumulus clouds, skies are usually clear and unless you live near the mountains or close to the sea (where wind blows due to temperature differences), wind speed is usually minimal. The chance for windstorms is associated with the leading edge of the high pressure system as it moves and presses against the jetstream. Cold air in the jetstream boundary may be lifted by the warm air from the high pressure, form storms, and be pushed along the jetstream with a boost from the rotation of the high pressure system.

Were there many heat domes over the United States, including the Great Plains during the Dust Bowl years of the 1930's?

casinterest

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:46 pm

This is , in climate speak, the average hottest time of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. Usually the 2nd week in July to the 1st week in August are the highest average temperatures . This "heat wave" is expected and normal. Crazy would not be the term I would use.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Dieuwer

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:12 pm

My electricity bill is going to be huge this summer, working from home with the AC running 24/7.

LabQuest

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:19 pm

Its a heat wave but its 93 instead of 91. I think we will be fine.

These events happen every year both in winter, summer, spring, and fall.

Dieuwer

Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:51 am

I think it is high time to IMMEDIATELY reverse Global Warming and target a 5 - 10°C global temperature reduction within the next couple of years.

einsteinboricua

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Ugh...the PNW will have its mini heatwave. Temperatures in the upper 80s to mid 90s. Normally no one would bat an eyelash, except many houses in the area are not equipped with AC. I have my portable one for the bedroom but I'm still figuring out if I should buy a second one and have a cool room for the day and then leave one on the bedroom for the night.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

noviorbis77

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
My electricity bill is going to be huge this summer, working from home with the AC running 24/7.

Quite the opposite in the UK.

Been a cold summer.

Okie

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:31 pm

Been a colder than usual summer here and the previous year as well.

It has been running around 86f/30c when in the past 97f/36c.

That electricity alligator outside my house that provides the air conditioning is not eating nearly as many chickens as years past.

Dieuwer wrote:
I think it is high time to IMMEDIATELY reverse Global Warming and target a 5 - 10°C global temperature reduction within the next couple of years.

We are leaving the Holocene period now and appear to be heading back for the next Glacial Epoch.

Okie

stl07

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 am

Good grief has it been hot here in St. Louis as well as in Southern Illinois (where I just camped). It just keeps getting hotter every year. There is not a soul here who doesn't have AC anymore and the local government has placed "cooling centers" around the city and county. That is how bad it has gotten.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Francoflier

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:54 am

Every season of every new year is pretty much a record breaking one nowadays.

Forget all the ridiculous talk about the 'new normal' that has been thrown around recently with Covid. THIS, is what our new normal will look like; a slowly unfolding climate catastrophe that is happening slowly enough that, like the proverbial boiling frog, we keep denying.
Ironically, it will harm humanity way more people than any virus ever did or will.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Dieuwer

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Heat wave in Europe as well. Longest in history. And from historical data, heatwaves seem to become more frequent and with higher magnitudes (double of what the Climate Panel calculated).

See graphic: https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/kl ... id=1&pid=2