Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ltbewr
Topic Author

Popular movies that are now seen as Politically or socailly bad

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:26 pm

There seems to be a growing number of popular movies that are now seen as politically or socially bad facing bans from being shown or videos sold. They can contain racist, sexist, ugly gender and ethnic stereotypes. Have actors and others involved with them who are racists or criminals in their daily lives including sexual assaulters and rapists. Some have underage nudity or sex or suggestions of if and rape. In some cases, we didn't think of them with bad content or connection, but as we grow up and times change instead of laughing or ignoring their actual content, we now cringe. Complaints about some movies with such content have been made for years but some are getting attention in the last months due due to the anti-racism, anti-police violence and BLM protests.

The movie 'Gone With the Wind' (1939) while one of great movies is the best known example of a popular film being seen differently in current times for its blatant racist stereotypes depictions of slaves. In most future showings like in 'art' theaters and on cable movie channels, it will have pre-showing comments noting it racial content.

Disney's 'Song of the South' is also loaded with racist references and has largely been removed from distribution, including from the new Disney subscription service.

The movie 'Major League' (1989) is another film that in a recent viewing of parts of it I now cringe at is loaded with vile racist content as to Native Americans as the team used is the Cleveland Indians and until recently the team and its fans used a vile caricature 'Chief Wahoo' as a logo, allowed the use of offensive terms as to NA's. Perhaps it needs to be withdrawn by whoever owns it to end its perpetuation of its racism.

Some will bring up the film 'Blazing Saddles' that uses the N-word throughout it. Despite the actual intended context of the use of the N-word and condemn racism, it being written in large part by the great comic Richard Prior, a Black man, Producer and co-writer Mel Brooks knows he wouldn't be able to do that movie today. The film also has another satirical part at the end with possible issues, as the movie near the end spills into a movie sound stage for a musical, it has the all mail cast playing up stereotyped of Gay men. I expect this film to disappear from being shown or also with contextual comments before it.

Put up some other examples of films that may need either shown in special contexts, significantly edited or removed from ever being shown..

VTKillarney

Re: Popular movies that are now seen as Politically or socailly bad

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Tropic Thunder due to Robert Downey Jr. appearing in blackface.

seb146

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 pm

About blackface, I wonder if some of the newer movies and TV shows worked with and consulted with different groups like NAACP and ADL? I think I recall interviews about the episode of "Designing Women" when Suzanne wore blackface, the writers and actors consulted with racial equality groups and made donations. But, for actors to wear blackface simply for shock value or because "it was allowed then" will probably be called out.

As a gay man, I am not offended by the flitty, prissy, femme portrayal of gay men in the past. Growing up, I learned early on that we come in all different shapes and sizes and skin colors and mannerisms. I think that is why we celebrated Rock Hudson, Danny Kaye, and Robert Reed along with the prissy portrayals of gay men. I know, for me, Jody Dallas on "Soap" came along at the perfect time in my life. Even Jack on "Threes Company" helped me come to terms with me.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NWAESC

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:07 pm

"Birth of a nation."
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Aaron747

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:18 pm

“Blackboard Jungle” certainly applies.

As for social - anything directed by abusers Woody Allen or Roman Polanski. Can hardly watch anything with Kevin Spacey anymore either.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

scbriml

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:36 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

Oh man, please tell me you get it, please!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bennett123

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Seems daft to me.

If you watch 'Gone with the wind' then you get a sense of how bad things were. Not the full 100%, because even in 1939, the true horror of slavery would not have been broadcastable.

How can you show people how bad things were if you censor everything.

Another problem with many of the new films, is they forget that this is supposed to be entertainment.

einsteinboricua

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:01 pm

I was shocked to find out that "The Blind Side" was panned by people claiming it gave an air of a white savior moment. Honestly, people read too much into items. Even the actual Michael Oher thought the movie was an excellent portrayal of his life.

I wouldn't be surprised if Forrest Gump is also "canceled", especially with Forrest himself being a descendant of a KKK leader and remembering George Wallace. And let's not forget the stereotypical depictions of Blacks, especially with Ms Louise working in the plantation home that Forrest lives in and Bubba's family (his mom serving Whites, and her mom serving Whites), and the white savior moment when Forrest rescues Bubba and then gives what should be Bubba's share of money from shrimping to his family.

The Green Mile...a movie that shows the awful justice system, a negative portrayal of Blacks as rapists, and an attempt at a white savior moment when all the guards find that John Coffe is innocent.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:33 pm

What about White Chicks?

ltbewr
Topic Author

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:35 pm

It isn't just Black persons that face racist treatment in movies, but Asians and Arabs too. '

Breakfast at Tiffany's' (1961) has an ugly stereotype of Japanese/Asians in the character played by White Mickey Rooney. Chinese have also been more often shown as bad and evil as not White and racism. Financial pressure from PRC government as to what films can be shown in the country and even outside it is forcing studios to move away from racist depictions mainly for money. Too often Chinese women in films have been depicted as sexually easy and obedient stereotypes. Too often Asian-Indians are tech whizzes with no social life with women. .

'Lawrence of Arabia' had most Arab characters played by White Europeans and in movies even to this day too often Arabs = Muslims = Anti-American/Anti-Western terrorists or sex-starved idiots.

I mentioned sexual assault and really rape in some popular films played for laughs. For example, 'Animal House' has the one character basically rape an highly intoxicated wife of the hated college Dean. There is also other scenes of alcohol intoxicated and characters who might be under 18 so sex with them is rape and statutory rape.

TSS

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 pm

scbriml wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Oh man, please tell me you get it, please!

I'm gonna say that if he listed it in this thread he definitely doesn't "get it" and in all likelihood has never actually seen the movie. I realize this is a radical statement to make in the current "Witch Hunt" climate, but context does actually matter.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

afcjets

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:55 pm

Snow White, according to actress Kristen Bell and she's not alone. Maybe since the #metoo movement appears to be over, it's ok now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... e-consent/
Last edited by afcjets on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stl07

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Supposedly in the deep south (of all places) To Kill a Mockingbird is now bad due to using the word ni--er
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TSS

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:26 pm

afcjets wrote:
Snow White, according to actress Kristen Bell and she's not alone. Maybe since the #metoo movement appears to be over, it's ok now.

This reminds me of the woman who sued the man that performed CPR/mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on her without her consent (Apparently that was a hoax, but not at all hard to believe in the current climate). I say if she's asleep/unconscious/unresponsive then let her stay that way if there's a danger you might get sued for going to the trouble of trying to save or revive her. Besides, with Snow White sidelined I'd have a much clearer shot with one or more of her short, hairy, macho (in other words, just my type!) roommates so let her sleep right on!

TSS

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Video with commentary that I referenced in my previous post:

Buzzfeed Feminist Sues A Man For Saving Her Life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l89fmUxCNc

extender

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:50 pm

They're friggin movies. Get over it.

ER757

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Not movies, but TV shows that come to mind immediately are Amos and Andy and the Lone Ranger. The former is a racist depiction of African Americans (if I recall correctly the on radio version of the show, the actors were white men trying to sound "black"). The latter shows a Native American in a subservient role to the white man and probably would be deeply offensive to folks these days.
And I can't imagine All in the Family could possibly have made it on air in these times. While it was intended to show how silly ethnic and racial prejudices are, too many folks these days would be appalled at the content.

T18

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 pm

ER757 wrote:
And I can't imagine All in the Family could possibly have made it on air in these times. While it was intended to show how silly ethnic and racial prejudices are, too many folks these days would be appalled at the content.

In a similar vain, I don't think Hogans Heroes would be a network sitcom today.

I just hope we don't see anyone come after Airbus for one of the automated callouts.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:03 pm

Revenge of the Nerds is so problematic today - the typical effeminate gay guy, voyeurism & non-consensual sex wouldn't fly if it's made today.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

TSS

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:03 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Revenge of the Nerds is so problematic today - the typical effeminate gay guy, voyeurism & non-consensual sex wouldn't fly if it's made today.

You're correct on the last two, but as far as the gay guy goes he'd probably be considered not effeminate enough by modern activists who preach that if you're not so obviously and stereotypically gay that you set off the sprinklers every time you walk inside a building then you're clearly suffering from "internalized homophobia" and thus are part of the problem they're fighting against.
Last edited by TSS on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

af773atmsp

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:04 am

Any movie that sexualizes high schoolers and makes it seem like men are obligated to lose their virginity before graduating high school.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:11 am

Kiwirob wrote:
What about White Chicks?

Oh no. That’s movie’s A-OK because reverse racism doesn’t exist and after centuries of being depicted in negative light, Blacks should be allowed to use Whiteface.

At least, that’s what I’ve been told when asking why a White person impersonating a Black person is bad but the reverse is acceptable.

TSS

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:11 am

af773atmsp wrote:
Any movie that sexualizes high schoolers and makes it seem like men are obligated to lose their virginity before graduating high school.

???

If you're going to complain about that, then it is reasonable for me to complain about movies that depict attractive, intelligent, and reasonably charming high schoolers as inexplicably unable to figure out HOW to lose their virginity before they graduate high school.

afcjets

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 am

af773atmsp wrote:

The Last American Virgin. I saw this movie as a kid a lot but just now seeing the trailer for the first time, it's great!

https://youtu.be/zmsly1UOeMk

My favorite though is Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I even started a topic on it before. Almost every scene in this music video from the soundtrack would be considered offensive or controversial today.

https://youtu.be/Xk2NHZukTYg

Both movies are from the same year, 1982.

TSS

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:47 am

afcjets wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

The Last American Virgin. I saw this movie as a kid a lot but just now seeing the trailer for the first time, it's great!

My favorite though is Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I even started a topic on it before. Almost every scene in this music video from the soundtrack would be considered offensive or controversial today.

The funny thing about Fast Times At Ridgemont High is that it is based on actual events. The writer, Cameron Crowe, went undercover at Clairemont High School in San Diego and wrote about his experiences which were then turned into a film. I was in high school when that movie debuted and none of the characters or situations in it were unrealistic for the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Times_at_Ridgemont_High

ltbewr
Topic Author

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:00 am

TSS wrote:
afcjets wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

The funny thing about Fast Times At Ridgemont High is that it is based on actual events. The writer, Cameron Crowe, went undercover at Clairemont High School in San Diego and wrote about his experiences which were then turned into a film. I was in high school when that movie debuted and none of the characters or situations in it were unrealistic for the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Times_at_Ridgemont_High

Fast Times at Ridgemont High has some relatively minor problematic issues from today's view, but it was probably one of the best and most honest movies ever done about high school age suburban kids lives. It was one of the few movies that looked teen sexuality in a realistic way. It was also one of the few movies that ever had a character get a legal abortion and not condemn their decision. There were a lot of dumb films about teens in the following years trying to play on the success of FTARH, but many of them are buried from release as have depictions that are unacceptable today.

There are also films in the 1970's that played on fears of crime, cops throwing out the Constitution and encouraging the use of deadly force as good police work.'Dirty Harry' and 'Death Wish' being 2 examples of films that many would have trouble seeing now. You also had the 'Blackexploitation' films of the 1970's that played on Black stereotypes, glorifying pimps and violence.

Let us also not forget the 100's of 'Westerns' made in the 1930's to late 1960's that were openly racist and supportive of Genocide as to Native Americans.

A film from the 1950's I have often seen and one my parent's favorites is 'The Quiet Man'. It has scenes of suggestions of and actual acts of violence to women that take away my desire to see it anymore.

BlueberryWheats

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:18 am

Kiwirob wrote:
What about White Chicks?

Ignoring the reverse racism, this one should be banned for just being a truly awful movie.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

slider

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:20 pm

ltbewr wrote:
'Lawrence of Arabia' had most Arab characters played by White Europeans and in movies even to this day too often Arabs = Muslims = Anti-American/Anti-Western terrorists or sex-starved idiots.

I mentioned sexual assault and really rape in some popular films played for laughs. For example, 'Animal House' has the one character basically rape an highly intoxicated wife of the hated college Dean. There is also other scenes of alcohol intoxicated and characters who might be under 18 so sex with them is rape and statutory rape.

Sir Alec Guinness and Anthony Quinn were masterful in that.

So lacking mainstream or known actors of that ethnicity, what do you do? Lawrence of Arabia was made in 1962.

The college sexual assault thing is a frequent thing in many movies, unfortunately. Revenge of the Nerds gets a little rapey, too. Very cringey.

LCDFlight

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:47 pm

I think it's idiotic to censor or cancel literature or movies. It is NOTHING new; it's like the barbarians who defaced Roman and Greek statues, or Egyptian tombs. Those people are nothing.

A lot of artwork is provocative or controversial when made. We are not even fit to judge properly something made more than 30 years ago, let alone more than 50 or 100 years ago.

There is nothing wrong with having your own, new interpretation of a work of art. Go ahead and write a book about how you feel about it. I have no problem with that.

MaverickM11

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:20 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
What about White Chicks?

Oh no. That’s movie’s A-OK because reverse racism doesn’t exist and after centuries of being depicted in negative light, Blacks should be allowed to use Whiteface.

At least, that’s what I’ve been told when asking why a White person impersonating a Black person is bad but the reverse is acceptable.

Reverse racism is not real. Blacks weren’t “depicted in a negative light” for centuries—they were enslaved for the sole benefit of white people. There’s no reverse equivalent. It’s just a terrible movie.
I don't take responsibility at all

cjg225

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:33 pm

My Christmas Eve tradition, Holiday Inn, includes a black-face scene. I'm glad I have a copy of it on DVD today because I doubt it'll be available again.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

BlueberryWheats

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:47 pm

I wonder how the upcoming sequel to Coming to America will be, because the original certainly wouldn't have been made nowadays.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 pm

We can't watch Pulp Fiction any more
I am the Googlizer!!!

TSS

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:03 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
What about White Chicks?

Reverse racism is not real.

Egad, for once we are in agreement! There is no "reverse racism", there is only racism, period.

MaverickM11 wrote:
It’s just a terrible movie.

Ehhh... If you like the generally crude, lowbrow humor featured in other Wayans Brothers films such as the Scary Movie franchise, then it does have it's moments.

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I wonder how the upcoming sequel to Coming to America will be, because the original certainly wouldn't have been made nowadays.

???

What is wrong with the original Coming To America?

BlueberryWheats

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:06 pm

TSS wrote:
What was wrong with the original Coming To America?

Well nowadays I'm sure the SJW brigade would be up in arms about negative African stereotypes, plus Eddie Murphy played a white "stereotypical" Jewish man.

I personally love the film, along with Trading Places; which did have Dan Akroyd using blackface though.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:13 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Reverse racism is not real. Blacks weren’t “depicted in a negative light” for centuries—they were enslaved for the sole benefit of white people. There’s no reverse equivalent. It’s just a terrible movie.

I don't disagree with it being a terrible movie.

However, on the last Blackface thread that was opened, I know it was asked why is White Chicks acceptable (regardless of it being a horrible movie), but a hypothetical Black Chicks would be stereotypical, racist, and unacceptable. This is not reverse racism, but it's definitely not the equality sought by minorities either.

I'm not asking the question because I feel offended, persecuted, or anything of the sort. I just genuinely want to understand how in today's world minorities can portray characters not of their ancestry (whether for comedy, animation, or other) but Whites are not allowed to do that.

Isn't the premise of equality that everyone gets the same treatment regardless?

This kinda reminds me of how back home we were told as kids that boys can't hit girls (not even as retaliation for slaps or fights), but nothing is said about girls hitting boys (because if a girl hits a boy, it's to put him in his place or as self-defense...you go girl!). Thankfully, that mentality has long gone and though I never fought with a girl growing up, there were many instances I held back when hit for no reason. Some grown ups even encouraged me to fight back (my parents chose to not encourage it, but didn't necessarily ruled it out as a last resort).

stlgph

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm

Pretty much any movie where someone wakes up and happens to be 1) white and 2) has any iota of success and isn't automatically handing out their earned cash to the rest of the world.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

MaverickM11

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:44 pm

TSS wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Reverse racism is not real.

Egad, for once we are in agreement! There is no "reverse racism", there is only racism, period.

Yes, there is a nation whose wealth, social structure, and history were created by extracting forced labor from a minority for hundreds of years and then marginalizing them for another 100 years, and then there are white people whining about a bad movie. One of these things is racism.

einsteinboricua wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I don't disagree with it being a terrible movie.

However, on the last Blackface thread that was opened, I know it was asked why is White Chicks acceptable (regardless of it being a horrible movie), but a hypothetical Black Chicks would be stereotypical, racist, and unacceptable. This is not reverse racism, but it's definitely not the equality sought by minorities either.

I'm not asking the question because I feel offended, persecuted, or anything of the sort. I just genuinely want to understand how in today's world minorities can portray characters not of their ancestry (whether for comedy, animation, or other) but Whites are not allowed to do that.

Context.
I don't take responsibility at all

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:58 pm

ER757 wrote:
Not movies, but .... the Lone Ranger.
....shows a Native American in a subservient role to the white man and probably would be deeply offensive to folks these days.
Probably correct.
But in a parallel universe, what if the Lone Ranger had been black? Or better still, a black lesbian?
By rights, the outrage should be just as vociferous, and yet somehow I feel it would be somewhat subdued.

And how do you equate it with Batman and Robin?
Am I alone in seeing Robin = Tonto? Except he's portrayed by a white actor, so.....

Or the Pink Panther films, feat Peter Sellers (as Inspector Clouseau) and Burt Kwouk (as Cato)?
Kwouk - Chinese, born in Warrington, Cheshire, England. :lol:

Or indeed any programme where there is a high profile lead role, and a sidekick.
Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson?
This trend is much less pronounced in recent years, as TV producers realised they could counter the main stars demands for exorbitant pay increases for the next series by suggesting the show could go on without them, by promoting the sidekick into the main role. Another option is to feature a larger cast of equals (more or less), the classic example being "Friends".

So yes, The Lone Ranger is an anachronism in this day and age, but not necessarily because Tonto is a Native American.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Tugger

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:15 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Put up some other examples of films that may need either shown in special contexts, significantly edited or removed from ever being shown..

While there are many that nowadays absolutely could use a "special context" disclaimer at the beginning, I do not support anything from not ever being shown again. If we have gone to that point then burn the books. And I refuse to burn them. (And never showing them is the same.)

Own it people. Watch the drivel that was made for "entertainment" or even education (when presented as some form of fact, historical and correct). They are deservedly cringe inducing and hard to watch and most will not watch them. But we must so we don't forget them.

We will be debating these things for decades to come, we will try and figure how there were so many great things that happened in the midst of utterly tragic events and pernicious "isms" everywhere. Even when "wrongs" were done wonderful things happened. In the midst of death in the family we have had wonderful times. This does not makes doing bad things OK, but we need to step carefully, and not necessarily back, and learn and move forward. Not hide, try to hide the past as a way of fixing it, not forgetting and getting rid of things.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

LittleFokker

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:35 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
TSS wrote:
What was wrong with the original Coming To America?

Well nowadays I'm sure the SJW brigade would be up in arms about negative African stereotypes, plus Eddie Murphy played a white "stereotypical" Jewish man.

Alright, if you cast different actors to play the barbershop characters instead of the leads (Murphy and Hall), I don't see anything wrong with Coming to America. Having said that, I don't know what modern actor brings Eddie Murphy like energy to all his characters? Or commands the screen like James Earl Jones did for King Joffry? Can anyone repeat the smug ignorance of John Amos? The charming punching bag that is Louis Anderson? That movie can't be remade (plus doesn't the internet kill the motivation for Prince Akeem to leave Zamunda to find a bride?)
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

ltbewr
Topic Author

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:13 pm

The 'Lone Ranger' movie of a few years ago bombed with critics and box office due in large part of casting White Johnny Depp and his portrayal as seen as racist and like Blackface. It was also just a bad idea as few young persons knew about the character/story.

To me one big problem with 'Hollywood' and in general with entertainment production is the lack of diversity in the producers, the bank and private funders, those that give a project a 'green light' for them. If the top people are dominated by White males, you are going to get a much more narrow viewpoint and not a broader one that could and would say no.to films with problematic issues. The organization who gives out the Oscars for movies have made attempts to broaden its membership, those that nominate and vote on films. Earlier this year for 2019, a Korean made and cast film 'Parasite' won Best Picture as well as acting awards. In part that is the result of more diversity of the voters and larger nominee pools. If more movie studios and distributors have more in power positions or have semi-independent committees of a mix of people, including of different races, ethnicity, faith groups, GLTBQ's and so on to be involved in the selection of film projects, casting, behind the scene staffing to look out for potentially offensive issues it might mean better and more financially successful movies. Recall the massive success of 'Black Panther' several years ago especially with Black audiences but with young White moviegoers. Maybe it will save studios from themselves with fewer money losing duds from problematic issues.It might even encourage more original movies reflecting our more diverse audiences in the USA and around the world.

flyguy89

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:23 am

cjg225 wrote:
My Christmas Eve tradition, Holiday Inn, includes a black-face scene. I'm glad I have a copy of it on DVD today because I doubt it'll be available again.

When I first saw that movie I was like, "Aw this is great, why isn't this broadcast as much as It's a Wonderful Life [gets to the blackface part]....ohhhhhh. That's why."

I do love Holiday Inn, but wow does that scene make me cringe. I usually have to fast-forward through it.

BN747

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 am

The ultimate 'white grievance' film, Falling Down with Michael Douglas and Demi Moore.

And how right on the money is 'Traffic' with Michael Douglas, Benecio Del Toro, Don Cheadle and Luis Guzman.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

ltbewr
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:20 am

BN747 wrote:
The ultimate 'white grievance' film, Falling Down with Michael Douglas and Demi Moore.

And how right on the money is 'Traffic' with Michael Douglas, Benecio Del Toro, Don Cheadle and Luis Guzman.

BN747

'Falling Down' is another example of a film that is un-PC today with its racist lead character's plot line and its timing of major reactions in Black communities, like now, as to police violence to them.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:09 am

Dumbo, though when I watched it as a kid, I loved it. When I watched it with my grandchildren, I realized that the black crows in the movie were put in to make fun of African Americans' stereotypes one was named Jim Crow. Sixteen Candles, Long Duk Dong the exchange student that didn't age very well.

cjg225

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:43 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
When I first saw that movie I was like, "Aw this is great, why isn't this broadcast as much as It's a Wonderful Life [gets to the blackface part]....ohhhhhh. That's why."

I do love Holiday Inn, but wow does that scene make me cringe. I usually have to fast-forward through it.

I applaud TCM for not cutting that out and, in fact, specifically calling out before the movie why they weren't cutting it out. Now, this was a couple years ago when they were showing it in an 8PM time slot (when they do an intro to the movie). Maybe they'll stop showing it now or cut that out.

Either way, it's a great holiday movie with so many great scenes and lines. Just... not that good of a scene in the middle.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

ltbewr
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:12 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Dumbo, though when I watched it as a kid, I loved it. When I watched it with my grandchildren, I realized that the black crows in the movie were put in to make fun of African Americans' stereotypes one was named Jim Crow. Sixteen Candles, Long Duk Dong the exchange student that didn't age very well.

The 'Dumbo' film of 2019 was a near flop for several reasons, including the end of animals like elephants in circus in the USA by the time of the film. The original for sure has racist issues that make it problematic. The original is shown on Disney+ subscription service uncensored but with a notation prior to the film noting its racist content.

Sixteen Candles certainly has its own issues as to the Chinese character as well as suggestion of 'date rape' of an intoxicated young woman, both of which are not acceptable today.

Revelation

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Funny this topic came up because my youtube feed showed a video featuring Benny Hill's life. In it he was asked if he was crossing a line and he said he didn't think he was. Then they showed a scene where a young lady secretary in a short skirt bent over to put papers in the bottom drawer of a cabinet showing she was wearing fish net stockings and garters. The joke was that Benny's character got distracted from his work. Not exactly sophisticated humor, I think we can agree, yet that was common place in the 60s and 70s. Also saw a clip of Paul Hogan's work before he got discovered by Hollywood. Purely boobs and bums kind of humor.

ltbewr wrote:
It isn't just Black persons that face racist treatment in movies, but Asians and Arabs too. '

Breakfast at Tiffany's' (1961) has an ugly stereotype of Japanese/Asians in the character played by White Mickey Rooney. Chinese have also been more often shown as bad and evil as not White and racism. Financial pressure from PRC government as to what films can be shown in the country and even outside it is forcing studios to move away from racist depictions mainly for money. Too often Chinese women in films have been depicted as sexually easy and obedient stereotypes. Too often Asian-Indians are tech whizzes with no social life with women. .

I read this and thought of the John Wayne Vietnam era movie "Green Berets" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Berets_(film) ). Pretty much every sterotype of Asians can be found there. Big glasses, bucked teeth simpletons according to the movie.

As for rape, "In Harm's Way" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Harm%27s_Way ) had a rape scene with a senior military officer and a young nurse as a major plot element. I doubt this would pass muster today, but I remember it being replayed rather frequently on broadcast TV decades ago.

And pretty much any recent military / spy themed movie features Arabs as the evil enemy often depicted as plodding simpletons. It's all so formulaic that I can't watch it.

ER757 wrote:

Yep, even back then Norman Lear was shocked at how many people didn't understand that Archie Bunker was supposed to be a parody figure. I still laugh at people who are pounding their chests about rights for white people, I'm sure they'd totally be in to the Archie Bunker character.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DL717

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:32 pm

afcjets wrote:

What is wrong with these people? I guess she forgot the rest of the movie where she was hoping Prince Charming find her. Hence the song “Someday My Prince Will Come”. :banghead:
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?