Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DL717

Re: Popular movies that are now seen as Politically or socailly bad

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Here is a laundry list:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/w ... tereotypes

Don’t care. We ban everything, no one will ask what it was about. History lost is history that will be repeated. Learn and move on. Use it as a talking point. Sterilization if everything such as what is going on right now will do more harm than good.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:50 pm

DL717 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Snow White, according to actress Kristen Bell and she's not alone. Maybe since the #metoo movement appears to be over, it's ok now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... e-consent/

What is wrong with these people? I guess she forgot the rest of the movie where she was hoping Prince Charming find her. Hence the song “Someday My Prince Will Come”. :banghead:

I'm more surprised that the SJWs are more concerned with a princess (who can't consent because she's under a spell which put her in a deep slumber) being kissed by a prince with good intentions and less concerned about how little people are portrayed.

They're concerned about a prince kissing a princess, but not about a princess breaking into a house where 7 old men reside. Don't take apples from strangers and don't let a man kiss you without consent...but break into someone else's home and run away from home if you don't like your living conditions.

This is why it's hard to take some of these people seriously.

Reading the WaPo article, banning someone from seeing the Little Mermaid? Give up a voice for a man? Do you really think a 3 year old is watching the movie and thinking "I'm gonna meet up with a sea witch and give up my voice so I can marry the man of my dreams"? I had to facepalm when my mom said that she dislikes the Disney movies because all the villains are always using black magic and that sends a negative message...riiiiiight, never mind that all villains are defeated towards the end, which means that good prevails over evil.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

cjg225

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:56 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I had to facepalm when my mom said that she dislikes the Disney movies because all the villains are always using black magic and that sends a negative message...riiiiiight, never mind that all villains are defeated towards the end, which means that good prevails over evil.

Black magic... how about black ice?

https://youtu.be/efiW2K8gASM
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

BN747

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:55 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It isn't just Black persons that face racist treatment in movies, but Asians and Arabs too. '

Breakfast at Tiffany's' (1961) has an ugly stereotype of Japanese/Asians in the character played by White Mickey Rooney. Chinese have also been more often shown as bad and evil as not White and racism. Financial pressure from PRC government as to what films can be shown in the country and even outside it is forcing studios to move away from racist depictions mainly for money. Too often Chinese women in films have been depicted as sexually easy and obedient stereotypes. Too often Asian-Indians are tech whizzes with no social life with women. .

'Lawrence of Arabia' had most Arab characters played by White Europeans and in movies even to this day too often Arabs = Muslims = Anti-American/Anti-Western terrorists or sex-starved idiots.

I mentioned sexual assault and really rape in some popular films played for laughs. For example, 'Animal House' has the one character basically rape an highly intoxicated wife of the hated college Dean. There is also other scenes of alcohol intoxicated and characters who might be under 18 so sex with them is rape and statutory rape.

Tiffany's - :checkmark:
LOA - :checkmark:

Animal House??? I gotta defend Otter!

Dean Wormer's wife was a constantly hungover bored housewife ..very pervasive in the day and a lot like one I knew of in the 1980s, a coach's wife with an 'open door' to the young football team players! That depiction was quite accurate in that most people then had to get liquored-up to summon the courage to boink. That is a fact.

We have come a long way since those days, not necessarily an advancement but certainly more confrontational with our attitudes about sex. Still the need of some inhibitor-relaxing aid of sorts is preferred by some to partake but nowhere near what it use to be.

The sexist attitudes were dead on target of that period, people were spot on ignorant and 'sexual' lessons learned from bathroom stall wall scribblings and whispers from friends and brothers who had 'done it'.

The racists acts/scenes were few but very pronounced in the dialog aligned with the performance of the black musical band of 'Otis Day and the Nights'...."Otis, my man"

But Otter was the atypical sex-driven young man mixing with the atypical middle aged housewife who's had it with a life of stale conformity who chooses to address that in her own way - still going on today but a whole lot less alcohol - today they want remember the encounter (s) if not repeat them!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

BN747

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:55 pm

BN747 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
It isn't just Black persons that face racist treatment in movies, but Asians and Arabs too. '

Breakfast at Tiffany's' (1961) has an ugly stereotype of Japanese/Asians in the character played by White Mickey Rooney. Chinese have also been more often shown as bad and evil as not White and racism. Financial pressure from PRC government as to what films can be shown in the country and even outside it is forcing studios to move away from racist depictions mainly for money. Too often Chinese women in films have been depicted as sexually easy and obedient stereotypes. Too often Asian-Indians are tech whizzes with no social life with women. .

'Lawrence of Arabia' had most Arab characters played by White Europeans and in movies even to this day too often Arabs = Muslims = Anti-American/Anti-Western terrorists or sex-starved idiots.

I mentioned sexual assault and really rape in some popular films played for laughs. For example, 'Animal House' has the one character basically rape an highly intoxicated wife of the hated college Dean. There is also other scenes of alcohol intoxicated and characters who might be under 18 so sex with them is rape and statutory rape.

Tiffany's - :checkmark:
LOA - :checkmark:

Animal House??? I gotta defend Otter!

Dean Wormer's wife was a constantly hungover bored housewife ..very pervasive in the day and a lot like one I knew of in the 1980s, a coach's wife with an 'open door' to the young football team players! That depiction was quite accurate in that most people then had to get liquored-up to summon the courage to boink. That is a fact.

We have come a long way since those days, not necessarily an advancement but certainly more confrontational with our attitudes about sex. Still the need of some inhibitor-relaxing aid of sorts is preferred by some to partake but nowhere near what it use to be.

The sexist attitudes were dead on target of that period, people were spot on ignorant and 'sexual' lessons learned from bathroom stall wall scribblings and whispers from friends and brothers who had 'done it'.

The racists acts/scenes were few but very pronounced in the dialog aligned with the performance of the black musical band of 'Otis Day and the Nights'...."Otis, my man"

But Otter was the atypical sex-driven young man mixing with the atypical middle aged housewife who's had it with a life of stale conformity who chooses to address that in her own way - still going on today but a whole lot less alcohol - today they want remember the encounter (s) if not repeat them!

BN747

And speaking of Otter (Tim Matheson), I bet few knew he was the original voice of every kid favorite (1960s-1970s Hanna-Barbera production) Johnny Quest.
I never missed an episode.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm

ltbewr wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Dumbo, though when I watched it as a kid, I loved it. When I watched it with my grandchildren, I realized that the black crows in the movie were put in to make fun of African Americans' stereotypes one was named Jim Crow. Sixteen Candles, Long Duk Dong the exchange student that didn't age very well.

The 'Dumbo' film of 2019 was a near flop for several reasons, including the end of animals like elephants in circus in the USA by the time of the film. The original for sure has racist issues that make it problematic. The original is shown on Disney+ subscription service uncensored but with a notation prior to the film noting its racist content.

Sixteen Candles certainly has its own issues as to the Chinese character as well as suggestion of 'date rape' of an intoxicated young woman, both of which are not acceptable today.

yeah, back then it wasn't considered date rape, how odd.

scbriml

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:34 pm

Revelation wrote:
Funny this topic came up because my youtube feed showed a video featuring Benny Hill's life. In it he was asked if he was crossing a line and he said he didn't think he was. Then they showed a scene where a young lady secretary in a short skirt bent over to put papers in the bottom drawer of a cabinet showing she was wearing fish net stockings and garters. The joke was that Benny's character got distracted from his work. Not exactly sophisticated humor, I think we can agree, yet that was common place in the 60s and 70s. Also saw a clip of Paul Hogan's work before he got discovered by Hollywood. Purely boobs and bums kind of humor.

It's very British "saucy seaside postcard" type humour, very prevalent post-war right through to the early '80s. Check out any of the very similar "Carry On" or "Confessions" series of films. They look very painful by today's standards.

But even Fawlty Towers has fallen prey - the episode "The Germans" (I had the privilege of being in the TV audience for the filming!) has been removed from some online streaming services not only because it portrays and lampoons national stereotypes (the Germans) but also because the Major uses racial slurs when he discusses different cricket teams.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Revelation

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 am

scbriml wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Funny this topic came up because my youtube feed showed a video featuring Benny Hill's life. In it he was asked if he was crossing a line and he said he didn't think he was. Then they showed a scene where a young lady secretary in a short skirt bent over to put papers in the bottom drawer of a cabinet showing she was wearing fish net stockings and garters. The joke was that Benny's character got distracted from his work. Not exactly sophisticated humor, I think we can agree, yet that was common place in the 60s and 70s. Also saw a clip of Paul Hogan's work before he got discovered by Hollywood. Purely boobs and bums kind of humor.

It's very British "saucy seaside postcard" type humour, very prevalent post-war right through to the early '80s. Check out any of the very similar "Carry On" or "Confessions" series of films. They look very painful by today's standards.

But even Fawlty Towers has fallen prey - the episode "The Germans" (I had the privilege of being in the TV audience for the filming!) has been removed from some online streaming services not only because it portrays and lampoons national stereotypes (the Germans) but also because the Major uses racial slurs when he discusses different cricket teams.

Yes, US TV has always been quite strict. Even Monty Python's occasional nudity was off limits. Where I grew up it was only available 11PM or later and not on commercial TV. Believe it or not it was available on NYC's public broadcasting station! This was (literally) before the Reagan Era so a lot of things people today would not understand happened back then.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

TSS

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 am

Revelation wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Yes, US TV has always been quite strict. Even Monty Python's occasional nudity was off limits. Where I grew up it was only available 11PM or later and not on commercial TV. Believe it or not it was available on NYC's public broadcasting station! This was (literally) before the Reagan Era so a lot of things people today would not understand happened back then.

Wow, I had all but forgotten about that. Yes kids, if you wanted to see nudity on TV back in the day then PBS was your only choice, although it must be stressed that any nudity you did see on PBS was either of the National Geographic/native variety or, unless I'm much mistaken, occasionally of the incidental to a medical procedure type, neither of which are likely to help fill many wank banks or cause anyone to get the least bit excited.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

L410Turbolet

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Reading gems like this one:

“Forrest Gump” was made by intelligent people, won six Oscars and is beloved by many. While the film is condescending to anyone with a disability, Vietnam vets and people with AIDS, among others, it’s actually hostile to protesters, activists and the counterculture. As a bonus, “lovable” title character Nathan Bedford Forrest was named after his grandfather, the first grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/gone ... 234640666/

it really makes me wonder what the world of entertainment will be like, once this rage is over.

extender

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:52 pm

People need to grow thicker skins. Satire is on the chopping block.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:57 pm

scbriml wrote:
Revelation wrote:
... Benny Hill's life
. .. they showed a scene where a young lady secretary in a short skirt bent over to put papers in the bottom drawer of a cabinet showing she was wearing fish net stockings and garters. The joke was that Benny's character got distracted from his work. Not exactly sophisticated humor, I think we can agree, yet that was common place in the 60s and 70s.

Revelation wrote:
Yes, US TV has always been quite strict. Even Monty Python's occasional nudity was off limits. Where I grew up it was only available 11PM or later and not on commercial TV.
Occasional nudity? I believe it was a grand total of once, although TBH I had to look that up because I don't remember any at all. :old:
Likewise, the "Carry On" films alluded to sexual misdemeanour thru' and thru', and yet Barbara Windsor (Babs) only got her baps out once. Even then, if you blinked you missed them.
And in the pre-video age, if you missed a scene, you had missed it for good; there was no rewind button to slo-mo the best bits. :shakehead:

The curiosity for many was that US TV would not show nudity of any sort, but it would allow excessive violence (ok, so what is "excessive"?) and endless cussing & swearing.

In contrast British TV would very rarely sanction the f-word, and the only c-word permissable was "cow". I'm thinking here of Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part, who had to be very careful with such racy terms as "gorblimey" and "silly old moo". They were literally rationed to a specific number per episode.

We had nudity, you got the f-word. :lol:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Revelation

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:33 pm

extender wrote:
People need to grow thicker skins. Satire is on the chopping block.

Back in the 90s, back before web servers and home broadband was a thing, we used USENET ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet ) as the main mechanism for online discussions. USENET was largely point-to-point, there was no one home site for it. Although you can argue some of the main sites acted as hubs, it was in essence not censored and largely not censorable. Somehow the PHBs of the era looked the other way. I once saw the phone bill for decvax, a US East Coast hub, and it came in the kind of box one used for copier paper. Apparently DEC management didn't pay much attention to the phone bills.

One group I enjoyed was called alt.tasteless.jokes whose content is exactly as it says on the tin, tasteless jokes, ranging from mildly tasteless to extremely tasteless. Yet even back then at least half the responses were I'M OFFENDED BY THAT TASTELESS JOKE.

Seriously, the name of of the group is alt.tasteless.jokes, that didn't clue you in that you might be offended by some of the jokes there? This was a large part of the other 50% of the responses.

The point is even if you warn people that you are being satirical and give them adequate information to allow them to avoid seeing things that might offend them, they're still going to go ahead and be offended. It's definitely not a new phenomena.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Occasional nudity? I believe it was a grand total of once, although TBH I had to look that up because I don't remember any at all. :old:
Likewise, the "Carry On" films alluded to sexual misdemeanour thru' and thru', and yet Barbara Windsor (Babs) only got her baps out once. Even then, if you blinked you missed them.
And in the pre-video age, if you missed a scene, you had missed it for good; there was no rewind button to slo-mo the best bits. :shakehead:

The curiosity for many was that US TV would not show nudity of any sort, but it would allow excessive violence (ok, so what is "excessive"?) and endless cussing & swearing.

In contrast British TV would very rarely sanction the f-word, and the only c-word permissable was "cow". I'm thinking here of Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part, who had to be very careful with such racy terms as "gorblimey" and "silly old moo". They were literally rationed to a specific number per episode.

We had nudity, you got the f-word. :lol:

To be sure, the f-bomb was all over R-rated movies and paid-for public movies, but definitely not on broadcast TV or radio. We had the famous Carlin "seven words you can't say on TV" act ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words ) followed by a US Supreme Court case ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_v._Pa ... Foundation ) about FCC sanctioning a radio station that played a recording of the Carlin act, and the sanction was upheld.

And yes, cable TV is paid TV so they had some more freedom to say things you couldn't say on broadcast TV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpVDmcQz5Ms is not only funny but also has commentary from the creators of South Park about the point they were trying to make via this episode.

As an aside, I really laughed when I was first on the Internet and discovered Wikipedia had separate web pages for each of the infamous seven words. I'm glad they took a stand on censorship early on, and so far the PC element hasn't been able to erase them.

I don't watch broadcast TV at all (I've abandoned it for nerdy YouTube videos) so I couldn't give a true update, but it's my understanding that broadcast TV still bleeps or edits out the f-word. I don't think I've ever heard the c-word on broadcasts. I read an article saying the c-word is even less printable than the n-word, and in my experience that's true.

Extreme and gratuitous violence was all over broadcast and paid TV and it seemed to ramp up a lot in the 70s/80s. I guess the commercial appeal to a then important demographic, young males, was too hard to resist. Also it seems more difficult to define what is too much violence.

ER757

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Must have been a treat to see that performed live - Fawlty Towers is an all-time classic - bawdy humor to be sure, and the Major certainly used ethnic and racial slurs, so yeah, people might be offended these days. I'd say "The Germans" might have been my favorite episode but to be honest I think all 12 are top notch, can't really pick one.

bennett123

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:11 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_ ... _TV_series)

In his series, the most bigoted person was the White Man, the Black Man was sometimes little better.

The two most sensible were the two wives, who got on fine.

Wonder if the censors will appreciate that the show constantly held up the bigotry of the two men to ridicule.

bananaboy

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:01 pm

scbriml wrote:
...But even Fawlty Towers has fallen prey - the episode "The Germans" (I had the privilege of being in the TV audience for the filming!) has been removed from some online streaming services not only because it portrays and lampoons national stereotypes (the Germans) but also because the Major uses racial slurs when he discusses different cricket teams.

Not that I followed the story that closely but I assumed it was primarily what The Major had said that was the reason the show was removed. (As an update, it appears to have been reinstated with a warning about "offensive language.")

As someone said previously, context matters. I'd never really considered that the removal of the episode would be over how he had behaved towards the Germans...my mind just went straight to the discussion about cricket.

Even at the best of times, Basil Fawlty is pretty awful. With concussion, any ability to even slightly self-censor has disappeared. Basil behaves appallingly but it is he that looks ridiculous and very much the smaller person; the Germans come out of the episode with grace and dignity. Without the concussion, the context would have been different and I think it would have moved from funny/awkward to just racist and offensive. He came out as the "loser" - had he "won" in some way (which he never really did), it would have in some way endorsed his behaviour.

Regardless, it was the moose that stole the show for me. :lol:

All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Revelation

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:40 pm

bananaboy wrote:
Even at the best of times, Basil Fawlty is pretty awful. With concussion, any ability to even slightly self-censor has disappeared. Basil behaves appallingly but it is he that looks ridiculous and very much the smaller person; the Germans come out of the episode with grace and dignity. Without the concussion, the context would have been different and I think it would have moved from funny/awkward to just racist and offensive. He came out as the "loser" - had he "won" in some way (which he never really did), it would have in some way endorsed his behaviour.

We could say the same thing about Archie Bunker in "All In The Family", yet the fact that he ends up as the loser is too subtle relative to the "hot takes" that he makes during the show, and is usually lost by those who want to revel in his bigotry.

A classic example is where Archie meets up with Sammy Davis Jr in his cab and Sammy has to go to Archie's house to pick up something he left in the cab. The show ends with Sammy asking Archie's co-worker to take a picture of him and Archie and just as the flash goes off Sammy kisses Archie on the cheek. The moral was supposed to be Sammy was the better man, but I doubt few remember Archie the loser, they just remember the bigoted things he said.

sierrakilo44

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:06 am

Revelation wrote:
We could say the same thing about Archie Bunker in "All In The Family", yet the fact that he ends up as the loser is too subtle relative to the "hot takes" that he makes during the show, and is usually lost by those who want to revel in his bigotry.

The actor who played Archie Bunker was Carroll O’Connor. In real life he was very left wing and liberal, and played the conservative right wing Archie Bunker as a caricature. In almost every All In The Family plot it’s Archie’s point of view that loses. It’s his prejudices and hatreds that are ridiculed and played for laughs. No one watching the show could possibly think that Archie should be seen as the hero or his points of view as correct.

In fact the All In The Family character of George Jefferson, Archie’s next door neighbour, is a way of saying to white liberals that black people can be just as hateful and bigoted as whites.

Revelation

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:19 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
No one watching the show could possibly think that Archie should be seen as the hero or his points of view as correct.

You may think that would be the case, but trust me, I know many who did. They aren't following the dialog, they just tune in when they hear something they like and latch on it, and the rest is ignored. If you don't think that can happen, then explain why so many are still supporting Trump.

tommy1808

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:56 am

Revelation wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
No one watching the show could possibly think that Archie should be seen as the hero or his points of view as correct.

You may think that would be the case, but trust me, I know many who did. They aren't following the dialog, they just tune in when they hear something they like and latch on it, and the rest is ignored. .

...or they just watched it a long time ago with a different mindset. A while back i watched James Bond Goldfinger for the first time in maybe two decades...... gosh.. i hadn´t realized what a colossal chauvinist pig he was before. Still a good movie.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

stl07

Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:30 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Tropic Thunder due to Robert Downey Jr. appearing in blackface.

LOL just saw that today and that was my first thought. Although he is given shit for it in the movie by the other (real) black character
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

SQ22

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:02 pm

May I remind you to include a link to your source for every image your are posting unless it is clearly marked as your own one? Thanks.

cjg225

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:39 pm

stl07 wrote:
LOL just saw that today and that was my first thought. Although he is given shit for it in the movie by the other (real) black character

Which is amongst the many things that makes that movie so great.

Now, recently, I did see an article quoting the actor who plays Alpa Chino (the actually-black character), Brandon T. Jackson, and he was quoted as not actually being comfortable with it even though it was satire.

noviorbis77

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:46 pm

Top tip.

Watch what you like and ignore those that want films banned, owing to their pathetic triggers.

aeromoe

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:05 pm

Airplane! ;)
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

Revelation

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:25 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Top tip.

Watch what you like and ignore those that want films banned, owing to their pathetic triggers.

Regardless of what many think, we're far closer to being able to watch whatever we want than we've ever been in my lifetime.

It may not be in a public theater or on a broadcast TV station, but if you want it, it's far easier to get today than it's ever been, IMO.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:32 am

true, so MUCH has changed. back in the day you couldn't swear on T.V. while married couples couldn't sleep in the same bed. Yet, on another level, sterotyping people was fine, mom's didn't work their job was to stay at home and take care of the family, was the sterotype taught viewers. Men had careers, not women, unless they weren't married then they were allowed to work but called spinister behind their back. i could go on and on.

seb146

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:55 am

I thought it was shocking SHOCKING!!!!! when Ann Romano and Alice Hyatt said "damn" and "hell" and when Diff'rent Strokes and Mr. Belvedere dealt with child abuse and [i]Family Ties{/i] dealing with many issues and [i]Better Off Dead[/i}. I am an older Gen X but I understand. I get it. Because my father was racist and "taught" me racism, I get it. I know it is not true. Like when I was coming of age during AIDS in the 1980s.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Revelation

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:14 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
true, so MUCH has changed. back in the day you couldn't swear on T.V. while married couples couldn't sleep in the same bed. Yet, on another level, sterotyping people was fine, mom's didn't work their job was to stay at home and take care of the family, was the sterotype taught viewers. Men had careers, not women, unless they weren't married then they were allowed to work but called spinister behind their back. i could go on and on.

Reminds me of how some black friends told me in the late 60s / early 70s they'd get their family together any time they knew a black person was going to be on TV, it was so rare.

I'm trying to think when the first openly gay character was on TV. I had to google it and https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/07/28/f ... r-tv-show/ is a pretty good list. It points out that All In The Family had one episode with a gay character. I recall the episode and it seemed to me that it really wasn't a coming out thing for gay people, it was just another way to show Archie's bigotry, however others may feel differently. There definitely were a few "dog whistle" gay characters in the 70s, characters who fit the stereotype but weren't "out". The "Odd Couple" was filled with implications, starting with its title.

scbriml

Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Revelation wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Reminds me of how some black friends told me in the late 60s / early 70s they'd get their family together any time they knew a black person was going to be on TV, it was so rare.

I'm trying to think when the first openly gay character was on TV. I had to google it and https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/07/28/f ... r-tv-show/ is a pretty good list. It points out that All In The Family had one episode with a gay character. I recall the episode and it seemed to me that it really wasn't a coming out thing for gay people, it was just another way to show Archie's bigotry, however others may feel differently. There definitely were a few "dog whistle" gay characters in the 70s, characters who fit the stereotype but weren't "out". The "Odd Couple" was filled with implications, starting with its title.

In the UK, we had The Two Ronnies and Morecombe & Wise comedy double-acts, both of whom regularly used to appear in bed together. But there was never, ever any suggestion that it was gay or even slightly unusual.
Source: 2.bp.blogspot.com/-23ApTur-I3I/VmBq1YTcIkI/AAAAAAAAzkQ/aWeM_0iOhtI/s1600/morecambe_and_wise_in_bed.jpg

Source: iv1.lisimg.com/image/9699661/600full-the-two-ronnies----------------------------------%281971--1987%29-screenshot.jpg

Maybe we were still 'gay blind'? I remember seeing Queen live in 1975. For their final encore, the band was on stage in total darkness playing a simple riff. Cue spotlight stage left - on walks Freddie Mercury in nothing but a pair of very small shorts. He sashays up to the microphone and the riff segues into "Hey Big Spender". Audience went wild. Nobody batted an eyelid and none of my group even wondered if he might be 'different'! :rotfl:

Source: i.pinimg.com/236x/22/4f/e5/224fe5638a78dee89d1e478e5b24b409.jpg
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

melpax

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:20 pm

Revelation wrote:
Also saw a clip of Paul Hogan's work before he got discovered by Hollywood. Purely boobs and bums kind of humor.

The original Paul Hogan Shows from the 70's-mid 80's were very popular in Australia, but interestingly, they were not regularly re-run since the show ended it's run in 1984. It's been at least a decade since it was shown on TV here, in the form of an off-ratings late night retro special. The humor dated very quickly, especially when sexual harassment & anti-discrimination laws were brought in around the period when the show ended it's run. His business manager also appeared on the show's as his sidekick, Strop. Both were already wealthy before Crocodile Dundee as they also produced the shows.

Seems crazy watching those shows now, that it was considered family entertainment back in the day!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Revelation

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:58 pm

scbriml wrote:
Maybe we were still 'gay blind'? I remember seeing Queen live in 1975. For their final encore, the band was on stage in total darkness playing a simple riff. Cue spotlight stage left - on walks Freddie Mercury in nothing but a pair of very small shorts. He sashays up to the microphone and the riff segues into "Hey Big Spender". Audience went wild. Nobody batted an eyelid and none of my group even wondered if he might be 'different'! :rotfl:

I think we kind of were blind back then, presumably in large part due to the fact that people could not come out back then without a lot of backlash so they hid their sexual orientation. I can think of more than a few people in my high school and college who probably were gay but could/would not say so due to fear of backlash. I know one who came out in the early 80s and was basically disowned by his family. I'm glad it's easier now for them to be who they are than it was back in the 70s/80s. I think the AIDS tragedy made a lot of people open their eyes, especially after Freddie Mercury passed.

seb146

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Revelation wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I think we kind of were blind back then, presumably in large part due to the fact that people could not come out back then without a lot of backlash so they hid their sexual orientation. I can think of more than a few people in my high school and college who probably were gay but could/would not say so due to fear of backlash. I know one who came out in the early 80s and was basically disowned by his family. I'm glad it's easier now for them to be who they are than it was back in the 70s/80s. I think the AIDS tragedy made a lot of people open their eyes, especially after Freddie Mercury passed.

Back in the day, gays were mostly minor characters or bit players in the background. A flouncy, limp wristed, lisping man with a quick wit. I did not see Are You Being Served until the 1990s. It was never announced that Mr. Humphries was gay. Just some subtle clues. Because it was a British show, from what I have read, they had to keep things under the radar.

Come to think of it, I don't recall many minorities on that show. But, they didn't really deal with much in the way of race or sexuality. A lot of double entendre to get past the BBC censors.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Since some have brought up depictions of GLTBQ's in movies (as well as TV shows), here is a list of some popular films of 2016 with offensive or poor portrayals of GLTBQ+'s
https://www.thewrap.com/13-movies-rated ... 16-photos/
Here is article of other films, going back to 1940 with offensive or poor portrayals of GTLBQ's
https://metrosource.com/worst-lgbt-movies/
I am quite sure that there have been a number of past popular films beyond those in the cited articles with offensive stereotypes and depictions of GLTBQ+'s like the 'flaming', outlandish, colorfully and 'effeminate' acting and speaking Gay Male or the 'butch' female or some guy finding out they were with a transgendered person.. We might have ignored them, or saw them as funny, but now we cringe

Revelation

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:17 pm

seb146 wrote:
Back in the day, gays were mostly minor characters or bit players in the background. A flouncy, limp wristed, lisping man with a quick wit. I did not see Are You Being Served until the 1990s. It was never announced that Mr. Humphries was gay. Just some subtle clues. Because it was a British show, from what I have read, they had to keep things under the radar.

You are kind of describing Tony Randall's character on The Odd Couple, no?

seb146 wrote:
Come to think of it, I don't recall many minorities on that show. But, they didn't really deal with much in the way of race or sexuality. A lot of double entendre to get past the BBC censors.

OMG yes, lots of double entendre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJlItzalJY

bennett123

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:53 pm

'Back in the day, gays were mostly minor characters or bit players in the background. A flouncy, limp wristed, lisping man with a quick wit. I did not see Are You Being Served until the 1990s. It was never announced that Mr. Humphries was gay. Just some subtle clues. Because it was a British show, from what I have read, they had to keep things under the radar'.

Subtle clues, do you expect it flashed in Neon lights?.

scbriml

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:56 pm

melpax wrote:
Seems crazy watching those shows now, that it was considered family entertainment back in the day!

In the UK, the "Black & White Minstrel Show" was regular Sunday evening family entertainment - it ran from 1958 until 1978. Try showing that on TV today. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black ... strel_Show

seb146

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 pm

bennett123 wrote:
'Back in the day, gays were mostly minor characters or bit players in the background. A flouncy, limp wristed, lisping man with a quick wit. I did not see Are You Being Served until the 1990s. It was never announced that Mr. Humphries was gay. Just some subtle clues. Because it was a British show, from what I have read, they had to keep things under the radar'.

Subtle clues, do you expect it flashed in Neon lights?.

I grew up in the 1980s. When I started really getting into TV and movies 1982-1986ish, those were many of the characters I had as a gay boy. Today, we have anyone from captain of the football team to lawyer to doctor to cab driver. They run the spectrum of mannerisms and can be open about who they date and marry. Except Soap I didn't have that. Some of the "offensive" movies in the GLAAD list I still think are better than what we had when I was younger.

Looking through the list, I get it but I would also add that Adam Devine and Ryan Reynolds are not afraid to take rolls where their character is attracted to men. In Devine's series Workaholics there was some chemistry with his roommate, Blake. I always felt Blake was not into it as much as Adam was. Reynolds' roles in both Waiting... and the Deadpool franchise are not afraid of sexuality.

cjg225

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:07 am

Somehow I guess we should've seen this coming, too: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/vio ... 26805.html

Viola Davis regrets starring in The Help.

ltbewr
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:28 am

cjg225 wrote:
Somehow I guess we should've seen this coming, too: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/vio ... 26805.html

Viola Davis regrets starring in The Help.

The movie 'The Help' is among a few other recent movies that when they came out were criticized or since then have become criticized for their portrayals of Black characters.

A movie (and TV show) hat shouldn't be shown on TV anymore is the 'Dukes of Hazard' due to the car with the CSA battle flag on the roof and called the 'General Lee'. Maybe the only way they could show it is by blurring out the flag on the roof and reference to the Lee with General above the door or digitally replace it with an American flag.

Another film that likely will be seen differently in our times is 'Clueless', which hit theaters 25 years ago this week.The lead character 'Cher' has a growing crush on her step-brother who lives in the same home and pushes the 'dumb blond' and other stereotypes as well as glorifying the rich.

TSS

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:21 pm

ltbewr wrote:
A movie (and TV show) hat shouldn't be shown on TV anymore is the 'Dukes of Hazard' due to the car with the CSA battle flag on the roof and called the 'General Lee'. Maybe the only way they could show it is by blurring out the flag on the roof and reference to the Lee with General above the door or digitally replace it with an American flag.

I didn't realize that people were being strapped down and forced, Clockwork Orange-style, to watch 'Dukes of Hazzard'. I was under the impression that viewing devices such as televisions and computers were equipped with both a means for the viewer to select different channels offering a variety of content as well as a means to turn off the viewing device entirely.

ltbewr wrote:
Another film that likely will be seen differently in our times is 'Clueless', which hit theaters 25 years ago this week. The lead character 'Cher' has a growing crush on her step-brother who lives in the same home and pushes the 'dumb blond' and other stereotypes as well as glorifying the rich.

I think you might need to watch that movie again. Josh is her former step-brother, he is at her house helping her dad with a case, she proves she is NOT a stereotypical "dumb blond" more than once in the film, not least by outsmarting Josh's obnoxiously oh-so-woke girlfriend, and what is wrong with glorifying the rewards of success in one's endeavors?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

readytotaxi

Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:39 pm

How about Walt Disney and "Song of the South", that has not been out in years and probably won't be. Shame because the cartoon part with Br'er Rabbit was really good.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:17 am

scbriml wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Banning one episode about Germans is daft when the running joke through the entire series is Manuel the stereotypical Spanish waiter.

And then there are programs like Hogans Hero’s.

tommy1808

Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:25 am

Kiwirob wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Banning one episode about Germans is daft when the running joke through the entire series is Manuel the stereotypical Spanish waiter.

...its especially funny since we usually get a good laugh out of it as well.

Reminds me of the "The 5th Element" opening, where Billy asks the Aliens "are you Germans?", and in the German version it is translated as "you are not from around here" ..... WTH?!?

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Maloak33

Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:14 am

American History X ?
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

Revelation

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

And the early years of "M*A*S*H" where many of the plot lines were woven around nurses being sex objects, with the lead nurse "Hot Lips".

tommy1808 wrote:
...its especially funny since we usually get a good laugh out of it as well.

"Are You Being Served?" has a "german week" episode ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPjMSLiBTg ) with similar stuff. Ugly words like "kraut" and "bosche" come out right up top, but a few of the bits got a chuckle out of me. Since it was filmed in the 70s, there still were some pretty raw nerves that could be struck, but that was no secret.

I hate to say where I worked in the 90s there was one German guy working in our building who was widely known as "the kraut". We had some pretty regrettable nicknames for many people in our work/social circle, but in a weird way it was a sign of distinction to be given any nickname. It meant you were noticed. He seemed to not mind the nickname, although I'm sure he'd have preferred something more unique and less derogatory. He was highly regarded in the company. He went to a different company and his stature rose even more. Last I knew from Facebook he had a very nice apartment in Boston and a nice collection of BMWs. The company he went to got bought out by another bigger company and I can only imagine he made a lot of coin off that. In other words, he got the last laugh.

meecrob

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Maloak33 wrote:
American History X ?

Did we watch the same movie?

Braybuddy

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Since some have brought up depictions of GLTBQ's in movies (as well as TV shows), here is a list of some popular films of 2016 with offensive or poor portrayals of GLTBQ+'s

So, the only films allowed in future will be ones portraying members of the LGBTQI+ community only in positive terms, and as the paragons of virtue they really are?

ltbewr
Topic Author

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:30 am

Braybuddy wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

So, the only films allowed in future will be ones portraying members of the LGBTQI+ community only in positive terms, and as the paragons of virtue they really are?

The main thing, as with other groups, is to avoid stupid stereotypes, show them as real people, note the lingering prejudices.

Braybuddy

Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:38 am

ltbewr wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
The main thing, as with other groups, is to avoid stupid stereotypes, show them as real people, note the lingering prejudices.

A good start would be for such groups to stop behaving like stereotypes.