Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ThePointblank
Topic Author

Former Mythbuster Grant Imahara Dead at 49

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 am

Being announced that Grant Imahara, one of the former co-hosts of Mythbusters and on Netflix's White Rabbit Project is dead at 49 due to a brain aneurysm:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 49-1303101

Grant Imahara, an electrical engineer and roboticist who hosted the popular science show MythBusters and Netflix's White Rabbit Project, has died. He was 49.

Imahara died suddenly following a brain aneurysm, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. "We are heartbroken to hear this sad news about Grant. He was an important part of our Discovery family and a really wonderful man. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family," a representative for Discovery said in a statement on Monday.

An electrical engineer and roboticist by training, he joined Discovery's MythBusters in its third season, replacing Scottie Chapman and was with the show until 2014 when he left with co-hosts Kari Byron and Tory Belleci. The trio would reunite in 2016 for Netflix's White Rabbit Project which lasted for one season. On MythBusters, Imahara used his technical expertise to design and build robots for the show and also operated the computers and electronics needed to test myths.

While part of the Mythbusters team, he sky-dived and drove stunt cars, on film sets he came into contact with some of the most iconic characters in screen history, installing lights onto Star Wars' R2-D2, creating the robot Geoff Peterson for The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson and working on the Energizer Bunny.

Quite a talented person with a long resume of achievements in the film industry with his background in electrical engineering, robotics and special effects. May he rest in peace.

Francoflier

Re: Former Mythbuster Grant Imahara Dead at 49

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:29 am

That is unexpected and sad. Much too soon.
He seemed a brilliant and very nice man.

RIP.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

cpd

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 am

That is so unexpected. :( I couldn't believe it when I saw the news.

RIP - he was too young.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Don't watch much TV, but occasionally saw mythbusters. It was always fun, and struck me as teaching science, that is science methodology. Each particular project laid out the problem, designing an experiment that would measure what was needed, dealing with things that go wrong, doing it, measuring it. It laid out the difficulties of doing all those things right.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

cjg225

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Wow. That is shocking.

Really liked him on Mythbusters...
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

casinterest

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:14 pm

My Condolences to him and his family. He was great on the shows I watched him in.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Revelation

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:44 pm

I agree with all the kind posts above. I'm glad this site took notice of this sad event.

Adam Savage tweeted:

I’m at a loss. No words. I’ve been part of two big families with Grant Imahara over the last 22 years. Grant was a truly brilliant engineer, artist and performer, but also just such a generous, easygoing, and gentle PERSON. Working with Grant was so much fun. I’ll miss my friend.

Ref: https://twitter.com/donttrythis/status/ ... 9816347648

And I totally get it. Grant gave off the vibe of being a genuinely nice person, one that was fun to be around.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

zakuivcustom

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:48 pm

RIP indeed. Far too young for the bright mind to be gone.

Always enjoyed watching him on Mythbusters. I like the "Build Team" (Grant, Kari, Tory) more than Adam Savage/Jamie Hyneman anyway.

Tugger

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:25 pm

I was also shocked and so sad to hear that Mr. Imahara had died. He was the all round nice smart guy on the show. Not a goof ball, not mean or tough guy, just someone who, to me at least, everyone liked and got along with.

Thank you Grant for all the ideas and inspiration and fun. You are missed, the world is a little less bright today.

frmrCapCadet wrote:
It was always fun, and struck me as teaching science, that is science methodology. Each particular project laid out the problem, designing an experiment that would measure what was needed, dealing with things that go wrong, doing it, measuring it. It laid out the difficulties of doing all those things right.

THIS!!

The show was about science, and the show made it approachable to anyone. All the people involved demonstrated each time how science is FUN and can be so to many people. And showing that to a vast audience and making it approachable and teaching the discipline involved is the greatest gift anyone can give (unlike what is going on today where people are just shouting down or ignoring what science is) to the world at large.

Science is real, it is a process not a magical solution, science is life and the world around us, science can be hard, science is not always right the first (or second, third... seventh... twenty-first....) time, science can be inexact, science can be mundane and appear useless, science can be dangerous, science can be disruptive, and science can be and is often FUN!!!

Grant helped show that, along with the rest of the people he worked with.

RIP Grant Imahara.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

casinterest

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Where ever you go, there you are.

jetwet1

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Shocking and sad, like many i loved Mythbusters and Robot Wars. Grant was a big part of both, he will be missed.