Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 am

I will preface this by saying that I love email, texts, IM, etc. at work because it keeps me from actually talking to people that I really don't like talking to.

I'm also the type of guy that likes brevity in business communications and I don't like fluff.

My Inbox is empty except for emails that require follow-up, and I read and act on emails just as soon as they come in. Incidentally, this is why I refuse the option to install my employer's email on my personal device.

The obvious thing that bugs me, and just about everyone else I know, is the "Reply to All" function. I'll just leave it there.

Of course, grammar and spelling. My God people, there are actual tools installed in the more popular email apps that help us send out a grammatically coherent email.

The last thing that bugs me is one that probably doesn't bug very many people, but my clean Inbox fetish compels me to add it. I don't need a "Thank you" or "Copy" or "OK" or any other such single line acknowledgment that you have received my communication. By all means, if you need clarification, ask, but don't feel the need to thank me.

Just something light to chew on.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1486
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:06 am

well, when I send emails and don't get a response. I am annoyed.
however I'm a property manager and I am writing to inform an owner, what needs to be taken care of. I expect a response.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:22 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
well, when I send emails and don't get a response. I am annoyed.
however I'm a property manager and I am writing to inform an owner, what needs to be taken care of. I expect a response.


Of course you should get a response if you expect one. Yes, I would be annoyed by that also, but do kick out a "Thank you" after you get your response?

I think the thing is, that folks think that proper personal etiquette translates verbatim to written etiquette. I don't think it does.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1486
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 am

yes, I get that with texts, someone saysTY, and by habit, I reply YW
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8501
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:41 am

Oh the dreaded "Reply All". Whose fault is it when it's misused?

I hate when an email is sent with every person on the planet listed in the To/CC lines and then someone hits Reply All for something addressed JUST to the sender.

The Oatmeal has an excellent comic.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2476
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:17 am

Call me silly but I like a thank you email because I then know that the recipient bothered to open my email
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3595
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 am

fr8mech wrote:
I will preface this by saying that I love email, texts, IM, etc. at work because it keeps me from actually talking to people that I really don't like talking to.

I'm also the type of guy that likes brevity in business communications and I don't like fluff.


It’s funny, I hate email,text IM etc because to me they are slow and full of ‘fluff’. I get when it’s transactional you can write “Do XYZ by 12:45 tomorrow” but nuances can easily be lost in these forms of communication and we end up with 12hrs of email tennis when 5 mins of telephone will do. My job involves a lot of turning nuance in to objectives, you miss the nuance in written comma.

fr8mech wrote:
My Inbox is empty except for emails that require follow-up, and I read and act on emails just as soon as they come in. Incidentally, this is why I refuse the option to install my employer's email on my personal device.

I try to keep my inbox empty too, if an email needs an action I turn it into a task and get driven by the task list. I check emails every 2-3hrs, if something takes 2mins or less to deal with I do it straight away, if it’s longer I schedule it. I have all notifications turned off I like to say ‘I drive my emails, my emails don’t drive me’. I have only work phone, use it as personal phone too, I do check work email out of office hrs and if I’m on holiday I leave an out of office saying ‘if it’s interesting I’ll reply, if it’s boring I’ll deal with it on my return.

fr8mech wrote:

The obvious thing that bugs me, and just about everyone else I know, is the "Reply to All" function. I'll just leave it there.

It’s hilarious on the company wide emails, especially when ‘Karen’ from purchasing relies to all with “you do know you replied to all”
fr8mech wrote:


Of course, grammar and spelling. My God people, there are actual tools installed in the more popular email apps that help us send out a grammatically coherent email.

The last thing that bugs me is one that probably doesn't bug very many people, but my clean Inbox fetish compels me to add it. I don't need a "Thank you" or "Copy" or "OK" or any other such single line acknowledgment that you have received my communication. By all means, if you need clarification, ask, but don't feel the need to thank me.
For me it depends on the email but I generally don’t. I have one exception and that’s for one of our internal lawyers, really nice guy, I was having a beer with him discussing emails and he said because of the nature of his job he isn’t allowed to delete emails no matter how trivial so I tease him by sending him awkward emails he’s not allowed to delete.
fr8mech wrote:
Just something light to chew on.


It’s a good thread, I like it.

I’d like to add one of my bug bears, the long ‘word smithed’ email written from a silo.

It’s all horses for courses, due to covid I have been working from home for 4 months and the thing I miss most is collaborating on the worst sketch/diagram ever to understand a problem. “But there’s a whiteboard function on MS teams” nah, not even remotely the same as a real pen in my dry wipe room.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
cpd
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:31 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Oh the dreaded "Reply All". Whose fault is it when it's misused?

I hate when an email is sent with every person on the planet listed in the To/CC lines and then someone hits Reply All for something addressed JUST to the sender.

The Oatmeal has an excellent comic.


Along with the 20-30 “please don’t reply all admonishment emails” - sent, you guessed it, to the entire organisation...
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:54 am

Here's an example:

From Engineering sent to our entire department's management, plus his department (~20 people)...Please generate a work order to troubleshoot high oil consumption on XXXXX engine.
From a co-worker, replying to all, and adding the appropriate tech...Please comply with engineering's request.
From tech, replying to all...Work order completed.
From co-working, replying to all...Looks Good! Thanks for your help!

How I handle it:

Receive the email. Forward it to the Tech I assign. Get the work order number from the Tech. Then I reply to all with the number number, so that everyone knows the work order has been generated.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
cpd
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Here's an example:

From Engineering sent to our entire department's management, plus his department (~20 people)...Please generate a work order to troubleshoot high oil consumption on XXXXX engine.
From a co-worker, replying to all, and adding the appropriate tech...Please comply with engineering's request.
From tech, replying to all...Work order completed.
From co-working, replying to all...Looks Good! Thanks for your help!

How I handle it:

Receive the email. Forward it to the Tech I assign. Get the work order number from the Tech. Then I reply to all with the number number, so that everyone knows the work order has been generated.


In my place the reply all goes to probably 40,000 people!

Then someone tries to recall the email. :)

I’m surprised organisations don’t have blocks on who can send to the big all staff distribution lists.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24388
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:21 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
I will preface this by saying that I love email, texts, IM, etc. at work because it keeps me from actually talking to people that I really don't like talking to.

I'm also the type of guy that likes brevity in business communications and I don't like fluff.


It’s funny, I hate email,text IM etc because to me they are slow and full of ‘fluff’. I get when it’s transactional you can write “Do XYZ by 12:45 tomorrow” but nuances can easily be lost in these forms of communication and we end up with 12hrs of email tennis when 5 mins of telephone will do. My job involves a lot of turning nuance in to objectives, you miss the nuance in written comma.

You are lucky you can reliably get people to answer the phone, and if they do answer, they aren't pissy because you interrupted whatever they were doing.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11616
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Revelation wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
I will preface this by saying that I love email, texts, IM, etc. at work because it keeps me from actually talking to people that I really don't like talking to.

I'm also the type of guy that likes brevity in business communications and I don't like fluff.


It’s funny, I hate email,text IM etc because to me they are slow and full of ‘fluff’. I get when it’s transactional you can write “Do XYZ by 12:45 tomorrow” but nuances can easily be lost in these forms of communication and we end up with 12hrs of email tennis when 5 mins of telephone will do. My job involves a lot of turning nuance in to objectives, you miss the nuance in written comma.

You are lucky you can reliably get people to answer the phone, and if they do answer, they aren't pissy because you interrupted whatever they were doing.




Phone calls:
These are usually fluff in the engineering world. I want a history i can look back at, and email and instant messages are usually the go to for that chain.

Calls are necessary though when you need to make sure an idea is communicated clearly though. Now our company has software that transcribes calls on meetings, so it is easier to get the history, but "other" stuff also gets recorded so it cuts down on some of the BS.

Emails:
Reply's of "Got it", "thanks", and "etc...."all seem a bit redundant, but they go to my "history" statement above. There is a known chain of acceptance of responsibility In this Covid environment we need a bit more of this as we can't just walk to the next cube or office and press someone for what is needed.

Filter:
Filters are a must for me. I am copied on tickets and alerts from customers. if I didn't use them I would have 500 emails a day in my inbox. What really kills me is when a device is on the fritz, and no one deals with the "flapping" alarm


Reply to All.:
In my line of business, it is used so that managers and other engineers are aware of what is going on in case of the "Hit by a bus" issue. I try to keep my audiences small and in the know. Unfortunately once the sales guys get a hold of it, the list expands and so does the clutter
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8501
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:42 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Here's an example:

From Engineering sent to our entire department's management, plus his department (~20 people)...Please generate a work order to troubleshoot high oil consumption on XXXXX engine.
From a co-worker, replying to all, and adding the appropriate tech...Please comply with engineering's request.
From tech, replying to all...Work order completed.
From co-working, replying to all...Looks Good! Thanks for your help!

How I handle it:

Receive the email. Forward it to the Tech I assign. Get the work order number from the Tech. Then I reply to all with the number number, so that everyone knows the work order has been generated.

Well...that example is fuzzy. I believe in letting all interested parties know what's going on. If those people don't have to be included, I just narrow down the list.

A better example is:

From retiring employee (sent to everyone he's ever known in the To/Cc lines): *message about how great it's been to work with them*
One employee, replying to all: Happy Retirement
Retiring employee, replying to all: Thank you
Annoyed employee, replying to all: Who are you? Take me off your list.
Another employee, replying to all from annoyed employee email: Enjoy your retirement
Annoyed employee, replying to all: TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST!
[...]
You get the picture. This has happened MANY times in my career, though people are slowly starting to understand what Bcc is for.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
zrs70
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:02 pm

fr8mech wrote:

Just something light to chew on.


If we are going to comment on grammar checking, can we mention that a sentence shouldn’t end with a preposition?

:)
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12587
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:40 pm

zrs70 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:Just something light to chew on.If we are going to comment on grammar checking, can we mention that a sentence shouldn’t end with a preposition?


More importantly, it's not even a complete sentence. :biggrin:

fr8mech wrote:
The obvious thing that bugs me, and just about everyone else I know, is the "Reply to All" function. I'll just leave it there.


I often CC more people than just the recipient, and when replying, I'll often Reply All. In fact, I get really annoyed when I've specifically included other people on an email, and then someone else replies back just to me. There's a valid point to this - if I include other people it is so that those people know what is going on. It may either affect them directly or indirectly, it may simply keep them in the loop on something they may get asked about, it may give them some knowledge they didn't previously have, or it may give them history on something they may need to look into in the future.

Now there are people who copy half the company for no good reason. There is one offender in particular, and everyone is familiar with his email pattern. As it happens, his name is Vy (pronounced Vee), so his email are known as.....Vymails.

fr8mech wrote:
Of course, grammar and spelling. My God people, there are actual tools installed in the more popular email apps that help us send out a grammatically coherent email.


Really bad spelling and grammar bother me, but minor mistakes don't bother me. Each person has a different level of education and understanding of language. Many people with whom I work speak English as a 2nd language. So unless the meaning is unclear, it's no big deal.

fr8mech wrote:
I don't need a "Thank you" or "Copy" or "OK" or any other such single line acknowledgment that you have received my communication. By all means, if you need clarification, ask, but don't feel the need to thank me.


Feel free to delete my thank you email immediately if you want. But if someone provides me with a useful or timely reply, I will generally send a thank you. It's no different than talking to someone in person.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15216
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:28 pm

As to E-mail etiquette, while E-mails are an important tool of communications far too often they are subject to abuse and misuse.
One trick I use as to personal e-mails is to use one account (of 4 I have) for 'junk' and many subscribed ad e-mails to be sent to. I will use 'unsubscribe' but sometimes that is useless. I don't mind a once a week e-mail with good coupons but not every day..
The Pandemic has made e-mail critical in my day to day work as the primary form of communications. What does bug me is when my supervisor ignores e-mails where raise important questions I want a prompt response to as likely gets a lot of e-mails overall.
E-mails with bad spelling, are messy 'word salads', bug me.
Too often e-mails are butt covers with too many recipients.
One can set up an e-mail to require acknowledgement of receipt of it, especially with critical information.
Don't use work e-mails for porn, sexist, racist, complaints of bosses as a sure way to get fired.
Also don't send e-mails with phony 'we care' comments, like with many companies expressing support of anti-racism protests last month. Please, your e-mail is a joke, instead of sending out millions of e-mails, why not just make structural changes needed to help reduce racism in your workplaces and relations with customers.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1586
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 pm

This is a short read. I wish more people would adopt this style of email communication.

https://hbr.org/2016/11/how-to-write-em ... -precision
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:15 pm

zrs70 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Just something light to chew on.


If we are going to comment on grammar checking, can we mention that a sentence shouldn’t end with a preposition?

:)


https://www.grammarly.com/blog/youve-be ... eposition/

As for whether it’s a complete sentence or not, it may be a little sloppy and lazy, but I think it meets the criteria for a sentence.

einsteinboricua wrote:
From retiring employee (sent to everyone he's ever known in the To/Cc lines): *message about how great it's been to work with them*


Ha, we just had one of those. There were about 60 people in the original email. About a third replied to all. I replied to his home email, which he provided.

vikkyvik wrote:
In fact, I get really annoyed when I've specifically included other people on an email, and then someone else replies back just to me. There's a valid point to this


Please don’t misunderstand me. There are plenty of valid reasons to use ‘reply to all’. I use it all the time, when there is a business need that it be used. I also pay attention to what folks have done to the email addresses during an email exchange with several folks. I look for additions and subtractions. It gives one a good idea of what's going on in someone’s head. Is he going into CYA mode? Is he looping more folks in because he needs help? Why did he drop our bosses from the email?

I always bring my boss into an email exchange that may bridge shifts, especially from a particular manager. Yet he continually drops my boss off his responses. I find that curious.

vikkyvik wrote:
Really bad spelling and grammar bother me, but minor mistakes don't bother me. Each person has a different level of education and understanding of language. Many people with whom I work speak English as a 2nd language. So unless the meaning is unclear, it's no big deal.


Spelling bugs me...a lot. Because there are robust tools to help with that. Grammar is something that I’m less concerned with. I handle a lot of email traffic from Europeans and Asians. I understand that syntax will screw with grammar.

There’s one German who sends over a request “all together, please release for entry”. I know what he means, even though it makes very little sense. It’s just the way language is put together.

vikkyvik wrote:
Feel free to delete my thank you email immediately if you want. But if someone provides me with a useful or timely reply, I will generally send a thank you. It's no different than talking to someone in person.


The issue I have with superfluous emails, is that any email I get during my shift tends to be time sensitive. An aircraft may not depart on time if I don’t get my end of the paperwork done. So, any email that comes in draws my attention from the work that I’m doing, or the conversation that I may be having. That little “unread” envelope in the lower right corner demands my immediate attention.

NWAESC wrote:
This is a short read. I wish more people would adopt this style of email communication.


Oh, I like the BLUF.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1586
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:02 pm

I try and employ "BLUF" as much as I can... It's definitely a work in progress for me.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3595
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:34 pm

Revelation wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
I will preface this by saying that I love email, texts, IM, etc. at work because it keeps me from actually talking to people that I really don't like talking to.

I'm also the type of guy that likes brevity in business communications and I don't like fluff.


It’s funny, I hate email,text IM etc because to me they are slow and full of ‘fluff’. I get when it’s transactional you can write “Do XYZ by 12:45 tomorrow” but nuances can easily be lost in these forms of communication and we end up with 12hrs of email tennis when 5 mins of telephone will do. My job involves a lot of turning nuance in to objectives, you miss the nuance in written comma.

You are lucky you can reliably get people to answer the phone, and if they do answer, they aren't pissy because you interrupted whatever they were doing.


Its not that I can always get people to answer and they are happy to do so. After 2 emails and any wooliness still remaining I will call and if no answer I will arrange a call/meeting. Whilst technically I'm an engineer the reality is that I'm a project manager and generally dealing with non engineers (i describe my job as when I'm in a room full of engineers I'm a scientist and when I'm in a room full of scientists I'm an engineer) my picking up the phone is normally around teasing out of people what it is they are actually asking, you'd be surprised how often people don't know what they are asking for. In the end people generally aren't pissy with you after they realise that by asking the right questions things can quickly be short circuited.

casinterest wrote:

Phone calls:
These are usually fluff in the engineering world. I want a history i can look back at, and email and instant messages are usually the go to for that chain.

Calls are necessary though when you need to make sure an idea is communicated clearly though. Now our company has software that transcribes calls on meetings, so it is easier to get the history, but "other" stuff also gets recorded so it cuts down on some of the BS.


Interestingly our company has a written policy of 'not' keeping history for instant messages. I get the fluff piece within engineering though, between departments/disciplines there can be a lot that gets lost in translation. Each group has its own language and acronyms, each university defines things in its own ways.

Fred
Image
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24388
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:07 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Here's an example:

From Engineering sent to our entire department's management, plus his department (~20 people)...Please generate a work order to troubleshoot high oil consumption on XXXXX engine.
From a co-worker, replying to all, and adding the appropriate tech...Please comply with engineering's request.
From tech, replying to all...Work order completed.
From co-working, replying to all...Looks Good! Thanks for your help!

How I handle it:

Receive the email. Forward it to the Tech I assign. Get the work order number from the Tech. Then I reply to all with the number number, so that everyone knows the work order has been generated.

Well...that example is fuzzy. I believe in letting all interested parties know what's going on. If those people don't have to be included, I just narrow down the list.

A better example is:

From retiring employee (sent to everyone he's ever known in the To/Cc lines): *message about how great it's been to work with them*
One employee, replying to all: Happy Retirement
Retiring employee, replying to all: Thank you
Annoyed employee, replying to all: Who are you? Take me off your list.
Another employee, replying to all from annoyed employee email: Enjoy your retirement
Annoyed employee, replying to all: TAKE ME OFF YOUR LIST!
[...]
You get the picture. This has happened MANY times in my career, though people are slowly starting to understand what Bcc is for.

Yeah but the retired person doesn't care, s/he is probably happy that's the last email sh!tstorm of their career! :biggrin:

I do agree people are finally learning what BCC and Reply-To are for, and have learned to just delete email that is clearly not intended for them instead of launching a WTF reply.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24388
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:14 pm

NWAESC wrote:
I try and employ "BLUF" as much as I can... It's definitely a work in progress for me.

Long before I heard of BLUF I would often start important emails with "Executive Summary". I think it's a bit cheeky because it suggests executives don't read their email, but then again that's probably true.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
theaviator380
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 pm

I do not like people starting email with only name,

e.g. James, (followed by contents)

What does it takes to start as Hi James or Hello James or Morning James?

I also do not like people writing an email like a train bogies....with no punctuation, all in small letters just a train of words ! yes there are people like that out there.

Also, I always acknowledge or respond even if it is a simple thank you etc.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 7430
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:59 pm

When replying to an email should you quote it or just say I got it?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22550
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:41 pm

I am getting into graphic design at work. People will send a picture or a menu or business card with zero instruction and zero context. Just an attachment. If it is an obvious business need, we reply and ask what they want. We hear nothing from them. Then, they get upset when we don't have 1000 business cards printed and waiting for them or that we don't have 50 menus laminated for them.

And, yes, we do get the "OMG!!! SO FUNNY!!!" email chains from people who sent us one thing to be printed years ago. One woman at least once a week will send pictures and quotes from scripture justifying her hatred of "the Devil's lettuce" and hatred of her "soon to be ex-husband". She sends this email to not only us but also insurance companies and media outlets.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:42 pm

zrs70 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Just something light to chew on.


If we are going to comment on grammar checking, can we mention that a sentence shouldn’t end with a preposition?

:)


Nor questions: Where is so-and-so at? !!
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K
 
AstroNav
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:16 pm

'I read and act on emails just as soon as they come in'


Work to your own schedule. That's what you are paid for.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:28 am

AstroNav wrote:
'I read and act on emails just as soon as they come in'


Work to your own schedule. That's what you are paid for.


I am paid to act on the emails as soon as they come in. That's why superfluous emails annoy me.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
AstroNav
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Encourage your mailers to use the telephone or stop by your desk instead.
 
slider
Posts: 7605
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:44 pm

AstroNav wrote:
Encourage your mailers to use the telephone or stop by your desk instead.


Often, I'll need it in writing for documentation purposes. Many people have jobs in which we *have* to avoid verbal comms.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8501
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:51 pm

AstroNav wrote:
Encourage your mailers to use the telephone or stop by your desk instead.

You're either not in the workforce (whether because you're young or retired) or are not in a job that requires a lot of communication.

Written communication is the BEST way to document something. That's why even after a phone call, I'll ask people to send me an email with any action items I have.

Phone calls have a place when a tone needs to be set and a physical meeting cannot happen. A physical meeting (going to someone's desk or setting up a meeting in person) works similarly. IMs can replace a phone call for a quick question. But unless you can record your call and meeting, and save your chats, email is the fastest way to produce documentation on a topic. You can take notes in a meeting, but unless someone else confirms them (or it's agreed that your notes will serve as minutes), they don't serve as documentation.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm

AstroNav wrote:
Encourage your mailers to use the telephone or stop by your desk instead.


Kinda hard when some of those mailers are on the Pac-Rim, cross-town, or even across the street. In the end, everyone in the original email needs to know the end result, they (we all) don’t need to know “see the sausage being made”.

While a paper trail isn’t always necessary, it’s good to have.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
AstroNav
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:46 am

Plenty of people hide behind emails and some will use it against you without taking responsibility for their short-comings.

Electronic mail is a tool and it is often abused.

Pick the telephone up!
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 am

AstroNav wrote:
Plenty of people hide behind emails and some will use it against you without taking responsibility for their short-comings.

Electronic mail is a tool and it is often abused.

Pick the telephone up!


Once again, I will note, that a large amount of my email comes from the Pac Rim. I applaud them for doing their darnedest to speak English, because my Chinese, Korean & Japanese are non-existent, though my Australian is spot on. It is much easier and efficient to communicate with them via email. It is much easier for us to understand each other.

The telephone leaves no record, unless recorded, and when dealing with foreign languages, opens you up to miscommunication.

Hell, I had a phone conversation (domestic) last night that I followed up with an email, so that I could confirm we were all on the same page.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
AstroNav
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:50 am

The ubiquity of e-mail does not absolve one of the requirement for proper documentation.

Workflow and collaboration tools are designed for that.

What happens when you leave and the juicy info is buried deep within an email from 5 years back?

Etiquette isn't solely about whether you say hello, hi or how you choose to sign-off.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24388
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Email Etiquette

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:47 pm

AstroNav wrote:
The ubiquity of e-mail does not absolve one of the requirement for proper documentation.

Workflow and collaboration tools are designed for that.

What happens when you leave and the juicy info is buried deep within an email from 5 years back?

Etiquette isn't solely about whether you say hello, hi or how you choose to sign-off.

Problem is, bosses aren't going to dig in to those workflow tools to find answers, they want their damn emails answered.

They just scan email, they don't chase answers.

I've emailed links to bosses that directly answer their question and later it was clear they didn't bother to open the link.

Now I copy/paste big blobs of stuff and the link, having learned the hard way.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Topic Author
Posts: 8064
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Email Etiquette

Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:23 pm

AstroNav wrote:
The ubiquity of e-mail does not absolve one of the requirement for proper documentation.


I work for a Part 121 carrier. I know all about proper documentation, and it has nothing to do with email.

AstroNav wrote:
What happens when you leave and the juicy info is buried deep within an email from 5 years back?


We have a ridiculously robust email archive system. I can find an email I sent or received 10 years ago (when the system came online) with a couple of keywords. Anyone who was in the address line has access to that same email, and our IT Security folks can recover any email sent or received since the system was put in place.

In fact, our system rules will archive any email that has been in an active folder (inbox, sent, deleted, etc) if it’s been sitting there a year. We are told not to hold onto emails, and never, ever save them to hard drive.

I wonder...if I were to search “Thank you”, how many hits I would get?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: casinterest, cpd, MaverickM11, N583JB and 59 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos