Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

910A
Topic Author

2021 Rose Bowl Parade canceled...

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Various sources, such as The Hill, CNN, and the Los Angeles Times are reporting for the first time in 75 years the Rose Bowl Parade will not happen. :( At this time the grand-daddy of all the bowl games is still scheduled to happen, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.. :white: (I hoping 2021 is not a repeat of 2020)

The last time the parade was cancelled 1942-45 was due to WWII.

VTKillarney

Re: 2021 Rose Bowl Parade canceled...

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Wow. Since the parade is outdoors it seemed to me that they could pull it off. There seems to be some arbitrariness as to which outdoor gatherings are deemed acceptable and which are not. In light of that, I am surprised that the Rose Bowl made the call so early.

casinterest

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:53 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Wow. Since the parade is outdoors it seemed to me that they could pull it off. There seems to be some arbitrariness as to which outdoor gatherings are deemed acceptable and which are not. In light of that, I am surprised that the Rose Bowl made the call so early.

You have bands and people traveling from all over, and you need people to commit time and effort to getting the floats ready. Not going to happen right now. Especially with Southern California going into crisis mode.
Where ever you go, there you are.

N757ST

Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:53 am

Like colleges that already went virtual for all of next year, I think this is too much of a reaction. Sure, if we got to November or December and things were still bad then cancel it, but what if a vaccine becomes available, a therapeutic, or corona is found to have weakened. We really don’t know what’s in store for September let alone January.

hawaiian717

Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:41 pm

N757ST wrote:
Like colleges that already went virtual for all of next year, I think this is too much of a reaction. Sure, if we got to November or December and things were still bad then cancel it, but what if a vaccine becomes available, a therapeutic, or corona is found to have weakened. We really don’t know what’s in store for September let alone January.

The problem is lead time. The floats have to be built, the bands have to practice (which itself is a problem with an ongoing pandemic), travel arrangements have to be made. A lot of effort will be wasted if they wait until November or December to cancel, since a lot of that has to start soon if it hasn’t already. It’s a lot easier to store the plans for a float for a. Extra hear than it is to store a half built float.

TSS

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:39 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

The problem is lead time. The floats have to be built, the bands have to practice (which itself is a problem with an ongoing pandemic), travel arrangements have to be made. A lot of effort will be wasted if they wait until November or December to cancel, since a lot of that has to start soon if it hasn’t already. It’s a lot easier to store the plans for a float for an extra year than it is to store a half built float.

That's true of floats for any parade, but particularly so for the ones used in the Rose Bowl Parade where everything visible must be made of fresh flowers or at least plant material and where one would need a huge lead time to insure, as an example, that there will be enough fresh blue flowers available to cover a float representing the University of Kentucky.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!