Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

Highly Sensitive Person

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:18 pm

I have recently cane across this concept called "Highly Sensitive Person" and find that some of my traits seems to match the description of this term.
Question:
1. How to know if one is really such sort of person or not?
2. It was claimed that about 15-20% of the world's population are of this kind, is it an accurate description?
3. Where can I read more about it? I have tried to find some sources but those that I have came across don't really seems to be helpful.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

flipdewaf

Re: Highly Sensitive Person

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:43 pm

At the risk of upsetting a ‘highly sensitive person’ I’d suggest google is a better starting point than a.net. Just be careful about how you read and understand that there is a goodly chance of confirmation bias happening when reading articles on such topics.

Remember one mans ‘highly sensitive person’ is another mans ‘whining little bitch’

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c933103
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:46 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
At the risk of upsetting a ‘highly sensitive person’ I’d suggest google is a better starting point than a.net. Just be careful about how you read and understand that there is a goodly chance of confirmation bias happening when reading articles on such topics.

Remember one mans ‘highly sensitive person’ is another mans ‘whining little bitch’

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The word "sensitive" here is more about sensory function of the brain than emotional, although it seems to have other emotional implications

TSS

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:47 pm

c933103 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

The word "sensitive" here is more about sensory function of the brain than emotional, although it seems to have other emotional implications

Yeah, pay particular attention to what Flip said about confirmation bias. As an example...

A few years ago the fluff piece du jour on news channels was about "Super Tasters", people who have a greater or much greater than average number of taste buds on their tongue and thus are able to make fine distinctions in food flavor that most of us can't. After watching a story on this, a friend of mine announced to the room "You know, I think I might be a 'Super Taster'." to which I replied "Really? If anything, I'd have thought you had less than the normal amount of taste buds, not more". My friend got a look on his face like I had slapped him and said "What makes you think that?" to which I replied "You're a picky eater but you always reject food based on criteria other than taste: You won't eat cheese or mushrooms because they're either fungus or fungus based, you refuse to eat lots of different foods because to you they're 'too mushy', and you arbitrarily refuse to eat food you don't like the color of including refusing to even try squash soup because you thought it was 'too orange' even though it was the exact same shade of orange as the Butternut Squash from which it was made, but not once in the ten-plus years I've known you have I heard you say 'I don't like how that tastes' and refuse to eat a food for that reason alone". My friend didn't reply but a mutual friend of ours in the room did chime in with "Dude, I think he's got you there".

So yeah, the Power of Suggestion can be quite strong to those who are open to it, but that power can often be nullified by the application of empirical data.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

afcjets

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:16 am

c933103 wrote:
I have recently cane across this concept called "Highly Sensitive Person" and find that some of my traits seems to match the description of this term.
Question:
1. How to know if one is really such sort of person or not?
2. It was claimed that about 15-20% of the world's population are of this kind, is it an accurate description?
3. Where can I read more about it? I have tried to find some sources but those that I have came across don't really seems to be helpful.

There could actually be a neurological component that helps explain this concept of highly sensitive people. IIRC I read something about this before or what I read caused me to speculate that could be a factor. Neurological damage can cause people to be highly sensitive to things like light, noise, chemicals, etc. and a correlation to being sensitive to emotions, stress, anxiety, etc. might exist. If any of this rings true I will be glad to elaborate.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:02 am

I am confused, are you saying that you are highly sensitive to light, noise, and smell? if so you could have ADD
if you're saying your feelings are sensitive, then that's something else. I have an employee who has ADD and I take advantage of her sense of smell, her intuition
and her frankness. It really comes in helpful. I am sorry she has the ADD, but the side effects are very helpful for me.

c933103
Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:54 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
I am confused, are you saying that you are highly sensitive to light, noise, and smell? if so you could have ADD
if you're saying your feelings are sensitive, then that's something else. I have an employee who has ADD and I take advantage of her sense of smell, her intuition
and her frankness. It really comes in helpful. I am sorry she has the ADD, but the side effects are very helpful for me.

I have went through official diagnosis before and the result said I am not ADD

seb146

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:29 pm

c933103 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

AFC made a great point about it being neurological. Read peer reviewed articles in neuroscience sites. If you have a doctor you regularly see, ask them about it as well. If it is disrupting your daily life, they may send you to a neurologist. If you see a mental health counselor, same thing. Do not take just one person's advice, either. Research is very important.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

afcjets

Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:00 pm

seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

AFC made a great point about it being neurological. Read peer reviewed articles in neuroscience sites. If you have a doctor you regularly see, ask them about it as well. If it is disrupting your daily life, they may send you to a neurologist. If you see a mental health counselor, same thing. Do not take just one person's advice, either. Research is very important.

I am saying it could be the result of a brain injury, whether a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or aquired brain injury (non-traumatic brain injury occuring anytime after birth) which includes things like neurotoxins (such as toxic mold), an episode of the brain receiving little or no oxygen, electric shock, or even a stroke. The correlation between things such as light, noise, or smell sensitivity, and sensitivity to emotions is that all of them involve the nervous system and if there is some type of damage to the brain, different types of stimulus might cause neurons to fire rapidly which will heighten sensations.
Last edited by afcjets on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seb146

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:40 pm

afcjets wrote:
seb146 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

I am saying it could be the result of a brain injury, whether a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or aquired brain injury (non-traumatic brain injury occuring anytime after birth) which includes things like neurotoxins (such as toxic mold), an episode of the brain receiving little or no oxygen, electric shock, or even a stroke. The correlation between things such as light, noise, or smell sensitivity, and sensitivity to emotions is that all of them involve the nervous system and if there is some type of damage to the brain, different types of stimulus might cause neurons to fire rapidly which will heighten sensations.

Something like sleep apnea or the umbilical cord being wrapped around the baby's neck sounds like they could be causes as well. Interesting.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

afcjets

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
Something like sleep apnea or the umbilical cord being wrapped around the baby's neck sounds like they could be causes as well. Interesting.

Yup, but I think neurotoxins are a lot more likely. Our world is becoming increasingly toxic and IMO eventually some of us become overloaded with toxins to the point our capacity to detox can't keep up. For example we spray crops with way more pesticides than we did even in the 1980s.

c933103
Topic Author

Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:14 pm

afcjets wrote:

I am saying it could be the result of a brain injury, whether a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or aquired brain injury (non-traumatic brain injury occuring anytime after birth) which includes things like neurotoxins (such as toxic mold), an episode of the brain receiving little or no oxygen, electric shock, or even a stroke. The correlation between things such as light, noise, or smell sensitivity, and sensitivity to emotions is that all of them involve the nervous system and if there is some type of damage to the brain, different types of stimulus might cause neurons to fire rapidly which will heighten sensations.[/quote]
The material I was reading claim it's a characteristic of people which could caused by some reason and it's neother a disease nor can it be changed...? Is this something that can actually be medically intervened (and should it?)

afcjets

Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 pm

c933103 wrote:
The material I was reading claim it's a characteristic of people which could caused by some reason and it's neother a disease nor can it be changed...? Is this something that can actually be medically intervened (and should it?)

I agree it's not a disease however I think it can be caused and/or exacerbated by a disease, injury, neurotoxin or neuro-inflammation (which could be a symptom of a disease) and all of those are treatable. It is absurd for the material you read to claim they don't know what might cause it yet they know it can't be changed.

Sokes

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:32 pm

First I advise you to go on YouTube and search for "never google your symptoms" and see that two minutes video.

Let me ask you something. Beside the hypersensitivity to sensory input, do you have any of the following:
-can't understand sarcasm
-anxiety issues
-compulsions: e. g. hand washing, ordering things, things have to be done your way
-enjoy solitary activities
-unusual intensity in interests unrelated to life and profession, e. g. in planes.
-can't recognise faces
-often misses social clues
-problems in executive functions: planning, initiating work, proceed according to right steps, occassional control, finishing work
E. g. you went shopping and forgot something, more serious in professional life
-struggle with unpleasant work, but hyperfocus over many hours when work is interesting. In hyperfocus other things and people are easily ignored.
-do you repeatedly have to ask people "what did you say?
-are you better in maths or in languages?
-do you like Big Bang Theory?
-do you think most people can't think logically?
- do you drive an old car and don't care much about your clothing?
-as child preference for toolbox over toys?
-as child tantrums?
-dislike small talk?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

taha93

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:08 am

I have encounter many people like these in my life and most second most important thing i noted about these people that they are also very hard working and honest individuals.

jetblueguy22

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Highly recommend reading “The Highly Sensitive a person” by Elaine Aron
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

c933103
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 pm

Sokes wrote:
First I advise you to go on YouTube and search for "never google your symptoms" and see that two minutes video.

I have also thought about whether it could be caused by such sort of bias despite I have found 80%+ matches with questions listed below.
Let me ask you something. Beside the hypersensitivity to sensory input, do you have any of the following:
-can't understand sarcasm
-anxiety issues
-compulsions: e. g. hand washing, ordering things, things have to be done your way
-enjoy solitary activities
-unusual intensity in interests unrelated to life and profession, e. g. in planes.
-can't recognise faces
-often misses social clues
-problems in executive functions: planning, initiating work, proceed according to right steps, occassional control, finishing work
E. g. you went shopping and forgot something, more serious in professional life
-struggle with unpleasant work, but hyperfocus over many hours when work is interesting. In hyperfocus other things and people are easily ignored.
-do you repeatedly have to ask people "what did you say?
-are you better in maths or in languages?
-do you like Big Bang Theory?
-do you think most people can't think logically?
- do you drive an old car and don't care much about your clothing?
-as child preference for toolbox over toys?
-as child tantrums?
-dislike small talk?

Sokes

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 am

taha93 wrote:
I have encounter many people like these in my life and most second most important thing i noted about these people that they are also very hard working and honest individuals.

Are you speaking of my list or of people with hypersensitivities?
Hardworking surprises me. I'm not surprised it exists, but that it's typical. I would have assumed that to be most typical for people with narcissistic tendencies. Of course all type of people can be hardworking.
Was this hardworking typical with those who were a bit compulsive?
However for those who love their work it may be hyperfocus.

But I did forget honesty in the list.
I also forgot motoric difficulties, e. g. catching a ball or the stereotype of the maths professor who can't hit a nail in the wall.
Another one I forgot is love for drum dominant music, e. g. Metallica or 21 pilots.

Sokes

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:52 am

c933103 wrote:
I have found 80%+ matches with questions listed below.

Time to solve the puzzle then.
Autism is I believe diagnosed if there is an IQ below 70. What about people with normal or high IQ? I'm not aware that there is an own word for them. Let's call them "people on the spectrum" (POTS), which is the expression typically used.
How many POTS for each person diagnosed, 10, 20? I don't know. But there are lots of them. The extraordinary interest some of us enthusiasts (not pilots) show in planes already makes me suspicious.

Typical for POTS is moreover that they can quite shameless tell real private things to total strangers.
With typical I mean strongly increased probability compared to general population. Which I hereby do:

My grandfather mother's side would get up if somebody sat on the same public bench he already sat on. He died when I was small, but I remember he didn't talk or bother much. He was just there, like a furniture. He worked in a government office and others avoided him, maybe also because he was the only one who didn't take bribes.

My grandfather father's side had vineyards. When tractors became popular he removed every second row of plants. Beside being able to use the tractor he said to himself that fewer grapes get the soil nutrients which should improve the wine. Everybody called him crazy, everybody did the same a few years later. Already my grandfather had patents, followed by my father. They never made money out of it, they just loved/ love inventing. Accordingly my father spends lots of time in the cellar working on improvements for his bicycle. God knows what he actually does, but my brother jokes that he is more working on his bicycle than riding it. While not true, my brother has a point.
Speaking of motoric skills: my father falls a lot and always has. Or he doesn't get the shoe removed from the click pedal of his bicycle and with zero speed left, falls together with his bicycle.

My mother is a messy, she can't throw away things. It's not like the house is full of dirty plates, but throwing away newspapers is already hard for my mother. Psychologists disagree if it's a compulsion. Well, compulsion would fit the genetics of her father. My mother also doesn't bother what she wears and rides a bicycle which one wouldn't get 10 Euro for.

Autism is beautiful. There is no conceit or cunning in my family and hardly conflicts.

My brother doesn't fit in the spectrum. As a child he couldn't read when all children in his class already mastered it. My parents went to specialists. Dyslexia, but with an IQ of 140. Whatever my brother touches he succeeds, but if he has to write a letter he still gives it to my mother for proof reading. Because of his dyslexia he first went to a medium difficult school. After completing an apprenticeship he went to school again, studied physics and now does research. In that sense he does fit in our family.

I didn't speak till I was four. Again my parents had to go to specialists who told them that I would never be able to visit a normal school. But my mother felt that I did understand. I got special language classes like a mentally disabled child. When I was four a nine year old girl played with me. I must have liked her, for I started speaking with her in full sentences with full vocabulary and perfect gramar. Many POTS have no problem to memorize academic content, but have hardly memories of personal events. I am one of them. Till today I don't know why I wouldn't speak though I knew. Delayed start of speaking is among the definitions of autism.
My mother called me her pokepine, for even as a child I didn't like to be touched.

Interesting enough, my father is the opposite and he has memories from an age children usually don't have.
(YoungSheldon remembering Mima's secret receipy told when he couldn't walk yet.)
I never read that, but I believe high probability of hyper also means high probability of hypo.

From class 5 children in Germany are split in three schools according to potential. Though I had many maths test without mistakes the class teacher recommended that I go to the medium type of school. My parents objected, I had to make a test. I nearly failed, but passed. However I have problems with executive functions. It is extreme hard for me to start a work I'm not interested in. I failed seventh standard and was sent to a boarding school. POTS often perform better in an institutional setting, and with regular study times I started functioning properly. However in university I had the same problem. I would attend classes, but couldn't force myself to study at home.

Have you seen "Rain Man" sitting on his bed and moving his body rhythmic front and back?
It's called stereotypic movement disorder. (Tics are not rhythmic.) I have another one. As long as I can remember I do it. Maybe that's why my parents were told I would never be able to visit a normal school. Beside autism it only happens in mental dissability.
I can control. I didn't do it in boarding school. But if I'm alone it gives me peace of mind and I get a lot of creative thoughts. Indeed my brain is never quiet. So during my studies when I opened my books tension increased and I switched activity.

I finally failed my studies. I went to a psychologist to ask what is wrong. That lady must have liked psychoanalysis:
"You have unresolved issues with your mother and you purposely failed the studies to see if your girlfriend sticks to you. "

Now that I'm in my 40s my stereotypic movement disorder got less and executive functions got better.

What else? I jumped from a 10 m board when I was seven years old. Indeed I love jumping from diving boards. Many POTS have anxiety issues. A mistake in regulation.?

POTS often land in jail. I did stupid stuff when I was younger which I today regret. I never acted criminal or got trouble with the police, though. But then autism by definition means social idiot. I believe it has to do with defiance. A defiant child likes to provoke and doesn't like to be told what to do. That's unlike conduct disorder, where children deceive for own advantage. Some of the children with conduct disorder develop into antisocial personality, POTS can be defiant.

Even with lots of effort in boarding school I could only reach medium grades in languages.

Though on the spectrum, I am quite extrovert. In adolescence during a train ride I got the idea to write a poem to chat up women. I must have been 16 or so and there was a woman next to me who must have found that amusing. She also contributed ideas. It was about the desire for touch without becoming sexual. Always the last words of two sentences rhymed. I must have told this poem to at least a hundred young women. I believe I did it first more out of the desire for provocation. I didn't really take it serious, but why not flatter some beautiful women? I assume if I had to be able to read social clues I may have been quite successful, but then my bravery ended once I had told it.
The world belongs to the brave. As it is said in the Jackass movie "Bad Grandpa":
" You can get through with pretty much everything. You must just try. "

POTS have a high probability to fail to understand sarcasm. But I love it. Hyper/ hypo?

My son started speaking and reading very early. With six or seven he copied Michael Jackson dances from YouTube. High motoric skill.
In school he refuses to write. It pains him.
Low motoric skill.

He is hyperactiv, which many POTS are. However there were no complaints until a boy with conduct disorder hit him with the fist on the head. My son had headaches for a week, since then complaints and hyperactive behavior. Since then his school grades went from very good to bad, a slow decline over three, four years. So I can't tell if his hyperactivity is caused by genetics or environment.

I was defiant in school already. Today I enjoy Voltaire and provocative discussions.
Does defiance help to think outside the box?
My son is also defiant. Because of it children with conduct disorder like him, he likes their rebellious behavior. He had two such friends. The first gave him head injury, the second spoilt the mind of other children when the "friendship" broke. It's amazing how many children run after conduct disorder children. It's a minority, but these children have like admiration for these psychos.

I believe to get a peaceful world one would have to get rid of these psychos. But I can't figure a political correct solution, so I guess warfare will just remain with us.

My son had to vomit when in the plane people got their food two rows in front of us. He's hypersensitive to smell. He tries his food with the nose and more often says "Don't want".
Also with clothing he can be hypersensitive to touch. Buying clothes without him is not a good idea.
I am hyposensitive to smell. Washing my son before he went to toilet himself was my job. But I am hypersensitive ro noise from ceiling fans. It irritates me.
My father says he can hear a mosquito cough. That's a joke, but he has extreme good hearing. Somewhere I read that some POTS have eagle eyes.
Concerning studies at home my son has my executive functions. I will have to send him to a boarding school.
My son is slightly claustropobic.
As toddler he showed echolalia. He would repeat what others say.

I hope that helped.
For more infos watch big bang theory. If I forgot something I will write it later.
Welcome to the club. I like my autism, but then I don't have anxiety or compulsion issues. Only my lack of executive functions prevent me from living up to my potential.
Is it a developmental disorder or an asset?

Read about Ignaz Semmelweis. I'm not sure if he was on the spectrum, but his total lack of social skill and respect for hierarchies in society suggests it.

Last edited by Sokes on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sokes

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am

I forgot a desire for sameness.
Such a child may be happy with pasta and tomato sauce every day.
RainMan needs to be before the TV at a certain time. Some people need the same place on a table.
When my wife mixes forks and knives I will arrange them new. And I'm usually untidy!

petertenthije

Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:02 am

Sokes wrote:
Time to solve the puzzle then.
Your description has all the markings of asperger syndrome.

It's a genetic thing. My nephew has an official diagnosis. I don't have an official diagnosis, but having gone through his paperwork clearly I have the same "problem". As does my grandfather and several uncles.

It has its advantages, but it also has some clear disadvantages. For the most part I have learned to supress (or at least hide) the negative sides. Though I really struggle with keeping in touch with people. As the saying goes: out of sight, out of mind .
Attamottamotta!