Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Gas Prices in the United States

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:54 pm

As you may know, gas prices are real low due to the COVID-19 pandemic and in the Dallas area where I live, they are $1.80-$1.90 a gallon, the lowest summer prices that have been seen since about 2004. At one point, gas was $1.10-$1.20 a gallon back in say March and April from what I saw. What particularly low prices have you seen.

ACDC8

Re: Gas Prices in the United States

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:23 pm

We usually average around $1.30CAD per litre and were down to about $0.75CAD per litre back in April, now with the summer season, we usually see $1.60CAD - $1.70CAD per litre and we're hovering around $1.20CAD - $1.30CAD per litre.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ltbewr

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 pm

In New Jersey for regular unleaded is ranging from $1.99 to $ 2.19/Gallon this week. In April/May it was as low as $ 1.69/Gallon at Costco/cheapest stations. In Jan/Feb., it was typically $ 2.29/Gallon (all prices Cash, CC use at some gas stations is about 5-10 cents/gallon more). NJ is also attendant service only, no self serve for gasoline.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:54 pm

ltbewr wrote:
In New Jersey for regular unleaded is ranging from $1.99 to $ 2.19/Gallon this week. In April/May it was as low as $ 1.69/Gallon at Costco/cheapest stations. In Jan/Feb., it was typically $ 2.29/Gallon (all prices Cash, CC use at some gas stations is about 5-10 cents/gallon more). NJ is also attendant service only, no self serve for gasoline.

How long has it been since gas prices were at the same level as now or in April and May in New Jersey?

Scotron12

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:18 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
As you may know, gas prices are real low due to the COVID-19 pandemic and in the Dallas area where I live, they are $1.80-$1.90 a gallon, the lowest summer prices that have been seen since about 2004. At one point, gas was $1.10-$1.20 a gallon back in say March and April from what I saw. What particularly low prices have you seen.

Quite amazing! Here in UK gasoline is sold by the liter (1 US Gallon = 3.785 liters). Lowest around £0.99p ...currently £1.08 per liter. All in all right now $5.14 per US gallon. :banghead:

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:29 am

In Malaysia during the lockdown fuel price went to a low of $0.32 per litre or around $1.17 per US gallon. Last time fuel was that cheap, it was in the early 2000s.

Right now it's around $1.52 per US gallon.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

AA747123

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:50 am

Just paid $3.89 a gallon in San Bruno California

casinterest

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 pm

I paid 1.80 the other day.

In April , I got gas for 89 cents a gallon. One of those Grocery card incentives that knocked 50 cents a gallon off my bill. ( Gas would have been 1.39)/
Where ever you go, there you are.

Mortyman

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Fuel price in Norway was in july on average 16 Norwegian Kroner pr. liter Around 1,7 USD pr. Liter or 6,5 USD pr. Gallon ....

https://dk.globalpetrolprices.com/Norwa ... ne_prices/

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:59 pm

During the lockdown, I saw prices as low as $1.89/gal (about 0.50/ltr) in the Tacoma area. There are some gas stations owned by grocery stores which had even lower prices. I was able to fuel up one time for $1.59/gal (0.42/ltr). Now we're back to the $2.40-$2.50/gal range, which is better than the $3.20+ we were paying before that.

AA747123 wrote:
Just paid $3.89 a gallon in San Bruno California

Switch to hybrid and you won't see those prices too often. Switch to electric and say good bye to gas prices. :)
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:13 pm

There’s two prices—the price of the fuel and the price of the government. And, a third unpaid one, the price of externalities.

M564038

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:26 pm

About 1cent/mile for electricity. EVs and hydropower, baby!

Aesma

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:05 pm

I have a Total card given by my company so no idea of the price, I don't look ! Especially since it's for diesel fuel and my personal car I almost don't use runs on petrol.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:51 pm

It was down to $2.25/gal here. 80 miles north of here, it was $1.89/gal.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

JenLightly

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:18 pm

I would be surprised to see gasoline prices rise to the level they were this past decade for a good long while. While i'm no expert [understatement] on the matter, it does seem like we have way more supply now with fracking technology - of course fracking can't compete cost wise with many other global oil producers but it does kinda limit the threat of prices sky rocketing due to shortage.

Tugger

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There’s two prices—the price of the fuel and the price of the government. And, a third unpaid one, the price of externalities.

Curious, when you say "the government", to what are you referring? The taxes that are for roads etc.? (I know those often end up improperly in the general fund but ultimately they do help fund the roads.)

And to that, how do people recommend to fund building and maintaining roads if taxes are not an option? I for one refuse (as much as possible) to have some tracking device added to count miles etc.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

NIKV69

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:02 pm

I am loving this $1.99 a gallon for regular my truck calls for 85 man is that savings on fill up!
I am the Googlizer!!!

BN747

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 pm

The gas game is a total scam.

California is the biggest single gasoline consumer on the planet, there is no reason on earth it should be $3.70 and up.

Market rules dictate that the biggest customer gets the Biggest discount...except in this case for some reason.
And spare me the special blend for ecological reasons bs.

We are being ripped.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 am

BN747 wrote:

California is the biggest single gasoline consumer on the planet, there is no reason on earth it should be $3.70 and up.

Market rules dictate that the biggest customer gets the Biggest discount...except in this case for some reason.

We are being ripped.

BN747

Blame it on your state government’s requiring gasoline of a special blend to meet CARB standards. Environmental virtue signaling costs money.

https://afdc.energy.gov/files/pdfs/3002.pdf

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi- ... story.html

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GAO ... 05-421.htm

https://www.mercurynews.com/2012/10/05/ ... he-nation/

https://www.convenience.org/Topics/Fuel ... -Around-th

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/gas ... rences.php

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/ ... d-gasoline

You’re right, you’re being ripped by your fellow voters.

BN747

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:30 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
BN747 wrote:

We are being ripped.

BN747

Blame it on your state government’s requiring gasoline of a special blend to meet CARB standards. Environmental virtue signaling costs money.

https://afdc.energy.gov/files/pdfs/3002.pdf

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi- ... story.html

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GAO ... 05-421.htm

https://www.mercurynews.com/2012/10/05/ ... he-nation/

https://www.convenience.org/Topics/Fuel ... -Around-th

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/gas ... rences.php

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/ ... d-gasoline

You’re right, you’re being ripped by your fellow voters.

1. The state (nor it's politicians) do not personally blend/refine gasoline.
2. Common sense points to if it minimizes lead out and keeps California air cleaner than 1970s-1980s...then it is good for the human beings living in California...and clean air is good and healthy for humans living everywhere.

3. Every single article you posted are simple smoke screen BS plants by the oil industry doing what the cigarette industry did - blow smoke up everyone's ass with crafty cagey semantics cooked up by BIg Oil PR designed to get you lost in nonsense that means nothing.

Sorry to run afoul of your endless game of 'political blame'... but clean are is far more valuable to humanity than assuring 'profit'.

When your biggest customer insist on a demand, Pan Am to Boeing, Emirates to Airbus, military to GM, etc...you accommodate the BIG customer...not sink to political ignorance.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:24 pm

Clean maybe valuable, but it comes at a price. Cali government dictates a level of emissions that requires a specific blend not used elsewhere, that costs money. Maybe you are not willing to pay the price of clean air, maybe you think it should not come at a price. You just seem to ignore the trade-offs required.

California might be a BIG customer, but for that blend required by Sacramento, the state’s customers are the only buyers. Does monopoly ring a bell?

Several of those links are US Government and one by the LA Times, no oil industry mouthpieces. Are the EPA and the EIA BS agencies?

Dutchy

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Just paid 1,49Euor/litter.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

BN747

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Clean maybe valuable, but it comes at a price. Cali government dictates a level of emissions that requires a specific blend not used elsewhere, that costs money. Maybe you are not willing to pay the price of clean air, maybe you think it should not come at a price. You just seem to ignore the trade-offs required.

California might be a BIG customer, but for that blend required by Sacramento, the state’s customers are the only buyers. Does monopoly ring a bell?

Several of those links are US Government and one by the LA Times, no oil industry mouthpieces. Are the EPA and the EIA BS agencies?

That cost=guaranteed profit.

California's standard is only aimed at cleaner emissions.
Cleaner emissions should be the desire everywhere humans reside aka everywhere. It's a health issue...how difficult is that to grasp.

California's huge price tag is in no way justifiable for the cost they 'tell us' and is easily off set by it's huge sales in the state. it's our unnecessary greedy profits. The precipitous drop in production and price reflect actual cost/value. We are suppose to feel sorry for an industry doing nothing but enormous profiting since the formation of the OPEC cabal in the 1970s.

We are so conditioned.. to think that profits are a MUST by an industry operating on a 'we got 'em by the balls' mentality. That's gouging at a criminal level. Sure, they are losing money now that the planet is in a forced slow down .. but their decades of profit making should be balanced by a few decades of 'profit-loss' like every other business. They don't have to so they won't. They can do and they do ....as they wish.

And we just except whatever excuse they feed us.

To think for one second that these people are honest brokers...is pure insanity.

BN747

einsteinboricua

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:46 pm

I'm actually surprised that inner states have significantly cheaper gas than coastal states. I get that OK is a refinery state, but I would think that if coastal states can receive shipments of crude and refine it close to the depot, it would be cheaper than an inner state where it has to be transported by road.

Even in WA, I'm amazed that western WA has higher gas prices than eastern WA, even when the gas tax should be the same across the board. Logistics would say that isolated places should have higher gas prices relative to more populated areas with more demand and more place to feed demand. The cost to transport gas to a lone gas station in the middle of BFE from a refinery should offset the price drop caused by low demand, compared to the cost to transport gas to a station closer to the refinery but with more demand.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 pm

BN747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Cleaner emissions should be the desire everywhere humans reside aka everywhere. It's a health issue...how difficult is that to grasp.

California's huge price tag is in no way justifiable for the cost they 'tell us' and is easily off set by it's huge sales in the state. it's our unnecessary greedy profits. The precipitous drop in production and price reflect actual cost/value. We are suppose to feel sorry for an industry doing nothing but enormous profiting since the formation of the OPEC cabal in the 1970s.

We are so conditioned.. to think that profits are a MUST by an industry operating on a 'we got 'em by the balls' mentality. That's gouging at a criminal level. Sure, they are losing money now that the planet is in a forced slow down .. but their decades of profit making should be balanced by a few decades of 'profit-loss' like every other business. They don't have to so they won't. They can do and they do ....as they wish.

To think for one second that these people are honest brokers...is pure insanity.

BN747

You flunked ECON 101, if you think any good including clean air is free. Everything has a cost. As the bumper sticker said, “Ass, Gas or Grass, Nobody rides for free”. Hippies understood price theory better than you. Food is a health issue, but you’re not arguing farmers should just hand it out, are you?

It’s definitely a health issue. Americans have the resources and see the health benefits in less air pollution—they have proven willing to pay for its reduction. Indians and Chinese have fewer assets and are less willing to pay for cleaner air. Californians believe it’s worth requiring a special blend for a small reduction in pollution. You aren’t willing to pay, but got outvoted.

I don’t feel sorry the industry or Californians, if you think you can get profit-less special blended fuels, I hope the industry stops supplying the fuel. It’s a free market, maybe walking would help you lot understanding it.

As to honest brokers, didn’t you notice a huge drop in price when we stopped driving in March? That’s supply and demand elasticities at work.

NIKV69

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:02 pm

BN747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

BN747

Never thought I would see NY cheaper than NV. I am glad I live on the AZ border their gas is dirt cheap!
I am the Googlizer!!!

BN747

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
BN747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

BN747

You flunked ECON 101, if you think any good including clean air is free. Everything has a cost. As the bumper sticker said, “Ass, Gas or Grass, Nobody rides for free”. Hippies understood price theory better than you. Food is a health issue, but you’re not arguing farmers should just hand it out, are you?

It’s definitely a health issue. Americans have the resources and see the health benefits in less air pollution—they have proven willing to pay for its reduction. Indians and Chinese have fewer assets and are less willing to pay for cleaner air. Californians believe it’s worth requiring a special blend for a small reduction in pollution. You aren’t willing to pay, but got outvoted.

I don’t feel sorry the industry or Californians, if you think you can get profit-less special blended fuels, I hope the industry stops supplying the fuel. It’s a free market, maybe walking would help you lot understanding it.

As to honest brokers, didn’t you notice a huge drop in price when we stopped driving in March? That’s supply and demand elasticities at work.

Apparently I did better in Econ 101 than you did.

As well as ability to focus and never letting my eye off the ball on issues of importance.

In every business, the biggest customer gets what they want. No exceptions....not even refined petro-products.

That, plus the Oil industry's endless BS commercials on how they are helping 'with the economy' in pursuing cleaner energy.
Right...we haven't seen that
act before.

Oh wait, we have .. the Tobacco Industry, with their "we'll put a label on cigarette packs warning that it 'may' cause cancer campaign, you see? We're helping"

The smoke and mirrors parlor trick.

That human healthy issue you pretend to care about (at least you've heard of it) is a concern of and for all humanity.
Corporations are people too - so they claim...and that in turn means more than cheap sleazy smoke screen tactics, like absorbing cost for cleaner blends - everywhere.
They provide fossil fuel energy to the 'Chinas and Indias ' , they don't produce it, they import it. So they can either pay the premium or receive no product...you don't gouge your biggest consumer in broad daylight.
Which they are doing because they put cash in the right pockets..to keep the uproar to a minimum.

I've seen Big Oil execs seated before Congress too many times and their sweet gentle tea time parties while down the hall, congressional tough guys like Jordan and company yelling and going ape over silly nonsensical concerns.

It's a silly charade they pull and get away with time after time again.

If corporations have the rights of people, then they must shoulder the financial burdens as do the people.
But the rip-off, needs to end and it is the smart play.

As pursuits to green energy intensify and expand..they pose a threat to Big Oil. Big Oil knows their days are numbered and they have trillions of barrels of oil to push, that is their number priority, get as much as they can as fast as they can. The duties and responsibilities of personhood aare suddenly dismissed.

Focus on the game and not the semantics of anecdotes put out oil lobbyist as you do so blindly.

BN747

Channex757

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 am

Last time I filled the beast up, I paid 0.99p/ltr UK£ for unleaded. It's moved north a bit since but it was the first time in years I've seen prices under a pound a litre.

offloaded

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:13 pm

€1.50/L for 95 unleaded / €1.30 for diesel here in the south Portugal, or approx US$6.57/gall and $5.70/gall respectively.Went down by about 20c/L during lockdown so a good opportunity to fill up and go nowhere, and strangely right back up again as restrictions eased.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Tugger

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:47 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I don’t feel sorry the industry or Californians, if you think you can get profit-less special blended fuels,

Yep, now THAT is "government" pretty much all the way. The other thing that CA screws themselves over on is not allowing new refinery plants to bee built, pretty much anywhere in CA. The regulatory hoops needed to jump through are no high, and keep being jerked higher by NIMBY people who supposedly don't want something like that near them as it might affect their property value (which is artificially high due to similar regulatory and NIMBY burdens stoppng new home construction... don't get me started - and yes I own property in CA...).

Build the freakin' refineries, don't allow them to be delayed into hell and oblivion with endless court and environmental challenges and permitting delays etc. Hell put them in Barstow and Bakersfield (but there is the water problem there of course...) whatever. If we have refineries, we can have more gas produced as CA demands and if it is done right, it will export to other states (our volume is so high this could actually happen). CA is its own enemy in this case.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

M564038

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Lol. Everything is going to be electric very, very soon, building refineries to make gas now would be idiotic.

Tugger wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I don’t feel sorry the industry or Californians, if you think you can get profit-less special blended fuels,

Yep, now THAT is "government" pretty much all the way. The other thing that CA screws themselves over on is not allowing new refinery plants to bee built, pretty much anywhere in CA. The regulatory hoops needed to jump through are no high, and keep being jerked higher by NIMBY people who supposedly don't want something like that near them as it might affect their property value (which is artificially high due to similar regulatory and NIMBY burdens stoppng new home construction... don't get me started - and yes I own property in CA...).

Build the freakin' refineries, don't allow them to be delayed into hell and oblivion with endless court and environmental challenges and permitting delays etc. Hell put them in Barstow and Bakersfield (but there is the water problem there of course...) whatever. If we have refineries, we can have more gas produced as CA demands and if it is done right, it will export to other states (our volume is so high this could actually happen). CA is its own enemy in this case.

Tugg

Tugger

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:14 pm

M564038 wrote:
Lol. Everything is going to be electric very, very soon, building refineries to make gas now would be idiotic.

Actually no, not everything. And electric will not replace gas at scale for at least two generations. Currently electric only makes up 2% of sales. And as refineries are needed for gasoline, so to will electric need to ramp up massively, both manufacturing as well as distribution and charging etc. That will take some time.

Tugg