Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

What’s the deal with ‘Manscaping’ ?

Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Curious as to how this got started and seems to be very popular

It seems that today’s younger male generation like to remove most if not all bodily hair

Women too, in intimate areas, which I also don’t care much for, but do they really prefer hairless males ?

It’s funny when you look back at the ‘70’s and ‘80’s when the open shirt, hairy chest look was all the rage

I’m dating myself with this post of course but I wonder how we got here, especially interested in women’s take on this !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

NIKV69

Re: What’s the deal with ‘Manscaping’ ?

Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:48 pm

I don't think is something that is very new.
I am the Googlizer!!!

seb146

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:01 am

I think we were slowly introduced to in during the 1980s. I think, lately, it is so men can show off muscles. Although, I have seen some bears with muscles. Anymore, I think it is personal preference and partly discussions with partners.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:35 am

Manscaping is odd, but it certainly beats nutscaping. Beware that google search :lol:
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

stl07

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:26 am

Good grief, every single ad I get online and one TV is by "manscaped"
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TSS

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:07 am

Max Q wrote:

The fascination with / practice of shaving all the hair off of one's naughty bits got started by the people who made a living showing off their naughty bits back in the 70s, but most people didn't go overboard with it until the mid-80s or so.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

scbriml

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:28 am

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Braybuddy

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:04 am

Ugh! One of my pet peeves. Like plucked eyebrows and dyed hair, manicured pubic hair on a man is a grooming horror. So obvious and out of place. It's a girly thing, full stop. :shakehead: :sarcastic: :sour: :worried: :vomit:

TSS

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:10 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Ugh! One of my pet peeves. Like plucked eyebrows and dyed hair, manicured pubic hair on a man is a grooming horror. So obvious and out of place. It's a girly thing, full stop. :shakehead: :sarcastic: :sour: :worried: :vomit:

I could not agree more! :highfive:

maverick4002

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Max Q wrote:

It seems that today’s younger male generation like to remove most if not all bodily hair

Women too, in intimate areas, which I also don’t care much for, but do they really prefer hairless males ?

It’s funny when you look back at the ‘70’s and ‘80’s when the open shirt, hairy chest look was all the rage

I’m dating myself with this post of course but I wonder how we got here, especially interested in women’s take on this !

Manscaping isnt being hairless. Its like a haircut for your body. No problem with shaving/ trimming the privates imo

Braybuddy

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:11 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
Manscaping isnt being hairless. Its like a haircut for your body. No problem with shaving/ trimming the privates imo

If it's going to be done at all, it should not be obvious, IMHO. Trimming over-long pubic hair is fine as long as it's in proportion with hair on the rest of the body. If it's not it just looks ridiculous.

TSS

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

If it's going to be done at all, it should not be obvious, IMHO. Trimming over-long pubic hair is fine as long as it's in proportion with hair on the rest of the body. If it's not it just looks ridiculous.

I couldn't have put it better myself. As with the plucking/shaving of eyebrows or the dyeing of hair, if I can tell that you've done it, especially at a glance or from more than ten feet away, then you've overdone it.

Braybuddy

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:34 pm

TSS wrote:
I couldn't have put it better myself. As with the plucking/shaving of eyebrows or the dyeing of hair, if I can tell that you've done it, especially at a glance or from more than ten feet away, then you've overdone it.

Likewise with toupees. If you find yourself asking "Is it a hairpiece?", then it's guaranteed to be one. :yes:

Max Q
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

A haircut for your body ?

Wadrs, I just don’t get it, your body, as a male doesn’t need a haircut, other than shaving your face if you like although that’s not ‘needed’

I get Women shaving their legs and their arm pits that’s obviously a big plus in attractiveness but men trimming or removing their body hair is entirely different

It seems they’re almost trying to look more feminine ?

I dont think we’ve had any women reply to this thread yet and I’m very curious as to their opinion on this

GGg

DocLightning

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:34 am

Speaking as a gay man, I am a big fan of secondary sex characteristics, including secondary sexual hair.

That said, facial shaving and haircuts are pretty standard, but routine grooming below the neck in western men is relatively new.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

TARTRESED

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:46 am

And I wonder about the beard fascination, it's not your body so why does it disturb you?

TSS

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:59 am

TARTRESED wrote:
And I wonder about the beard fascination, it's not your body so why does it disturb you?

If you could clarify a bit, upon which side of the beard fascination do you stand: Those who think everyone should be scrupulously shaved, three times a day if necessary, in a quixotic attempt to convince the world that your face is as smooth and hairless as a baby's bottom, or those who think that a man who does not proudly display at least some facial hair is indeed no man at all? Admittedly those are two extremes, but my own feelings on the matter are closer to the latter than the former, mainly because kissing a guy who is clean-shaven is too much like kissing a girl for my comfort so the more facial hair on a man the better, I say.

Kno

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:07 am

I personally don’t want a giant bush down south, and women appreciate that. Not clean shaven, but trimmed for sure. I didn’t think this was new or a trend, I just thought that’s what most people do. To be fair I go to nude beaches a few times a year, and I don’t stare at other people but over all it seems the vast majority trim.

Kent350787

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:27 am

My 17yo son "manscapes". Not really sure why at all. Facial hair is about all I've ever done.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

TSS

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:04 am

Kent350787 wrote:
My 17yo son "manscapes". Not really sure why at all.

My guess is for the same reason guys do, or at least used to, carry that same unopened and unused condom in their wallet from eighth grade all the way though college or beyond- Just... in... case. :pray:

What baffles me about the current fascination with manscaping, especially when that means shaving the area bare, is why wait ten or fifteen years to finally grow hair there and thus have tangible proof if none other is available that you're not a little kid any more only to eradicate that proof and retain the same hairless look you've been sporting since before you were able to walk? I genuinely don't get it.

Kent350787 wrote:
Facial hair is about all I've ever done.

Ehh... more or less the same here.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
My 17yo son "manscapes". Not really sure why at all.
Probably for the same reason many young women depilate.

To avoid getting banned, I'll let wiki put it into words.
wikipedia wrote:
This custom can be motivated by reasons of potentially increased personal cleanliness or hygiene, heightened sensitivity during sexual activity, or the desire to take on a more exposed appearance and visual appeal,

At 17 it might be for a sexual partner, or an imagined sexual partner. It doesn't actually matter, just as long as it makes you feel good about yourself.

TSS wrote:
What baffles me about the current fascination with manscaping, especially when that means shaving the area bare, is why wait ten or fifteen years to finally grow hair there and thus have tangible proof if none other is available that you're not a little kid any more only to eradicate that proof and retain the same hairless look you've been sporting since before you were able to walk? I genuinely don't get it.

I don't know about others at that age, but by the time I was 17 there were at least a couple of things available to demonstrate I wasn't a little boy anymore.
First hint; "not little anymore"
Second hint; "a couple of things"

Obviously if you aren't blessed in that department, then hiding the deficit in a mass of undergrowth is probably your best option.
:D
Nothing to see here; move along please.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:43 pm

Growing up, I used to be into manscaping. I'd trim (not shave) my legs, chest, underarms, and back. It was really nice to feel water running down your skin instead of your hair. Of course, seeing that not many men can grow a full pelt of chest hair, I've noticed that I draw more attention with a hairy body than with a manscaped one. And as a gay man, even gay culture (which used to be fascinated with hairless body) is returning to appreciating body hair.

Marketing IS a powerful tool.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

apodino

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:16 pm

I have manscaped for a couple of reasons. One is because a girl I used to date didn't like any hair below the neck on guys she was dating. Another reason is with me personally, I have found that hair gets in the way and creates some discomfort when engaged in intimate acts, and maintaining that feels better in general, and leads to better sensations while engaged in intimate acts.

I find the gay man perspective on this interesting and a bit surprising. That being said, I have talked to a bunch of women and most women want their men to do some sort of grooming down there, as it makes it look better, and it doesn't get in the way during certain intimate acts.

As a side note, I listen to Mad Dog sports radio often in my car, and Manscape is a big advertiser on that network.

Revelation

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:12 pm

I think a moderate amount of trimming is the way to go for both men and women.

I've raised the topic with a few females and they say there is a lot of peer pressure to go clean shaven, both in the pits and underneath. Kind of a shame since I think the hair is there for a reason and all that should be needed is a bit of tidying up.

I hope we don't get to a place where men react to peer pressure all the time. IMO guys are more comfortable telling another guy to sod off without fear of losing the friendship, yet over time it seems men are getting more brittle. Hope we don't lose our resilience!

Like many I let my facial hair grow during COVID quarantining. I have resisted in the past since it grew out partially gray whereas my other hair is still not gray. These days I'm accepting that I'm in the age group where grayness is gonna happen so I might as well start letting it show via the facial hair. So far the comments I get have been positive, but I'm not sure the people making the comments are unbiased.

I started with a full beard but IMO that made my face look fat so I trimmed the sides off and left a mustache+goatee. I think it's an overall improvement. I think the facial hair does give me more distinction. I think the touches of grayness adds some character.

As someone new to facial hair I do wish I had some good guidance on trimming. I've done some youtube searches but the stuff I found were aiming at people doing the full lumberjack beard thing.

I do hate the fact that manscaping ads are all over the place these days.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

VTKillarney

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 pm

apodino wrote:
I have manscaped for a couple of reasons. I have found that hair gets in the way and creates some discomfort when engaged in intimate acts,

You lost me on this one.

Braybuddy

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:31 pm

Max Q wrote:
I get Women shaving their legs and their arm pits that’s obviously a big plus in attractiveness but men trimming or removing their body hair is entirely different

Interestingly, I have a straight friend whose big turn-on is armpit hair. I can go along with trimming for men, as long as it's in proportion to other body hair, but removing pubic hair? I don't really want to go near anybody who looks like a ten-year-old down below. :shakehead: :crazy:

apodino wrote:
I find the gay man perspective on this interesting and a bit surprising.

We have incredibly filthy minds, so do not be surprised here at all. :D

Revelation wrote:
These days I'm accepting that I'm in the age group where grayness is gonna happen so I might as well start letting it show via the facial hair. So far the comments I get have been positive.

For that very reason I used to keep my facial hair very short and trimmed to a goattee. Eventually I got fed up with all that trimming and shaving and let the grey grow out to a full beard. And, surprisingly, it opened up a whole new world . . . :smile: :wink2:

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:09 pm

apodino wrote:
One is because a girl I used to date didn't like any hair below the neck on guys she was dating.
It's interesting how YOU have to change for her, but she didn't. If I ever met someone who said "can you shave? I don't like body hair", I'd dump them right there. If I manscape, it's for myself.

VTKillarney wrote:
apodino wrote:
I have manscaped for a couple of reasons. I have found that hair gets in the way and creates some discomfort when engaged in intimate acts,

You lost me on this one.

Imagine if your partner is kissing you on your chest but you have a very hairy chest. Or your partner is giving you oral and your bush is overgrown. There's nothing so offputting than pausing your act to spit out hairs. And based on what I've seen, the average American is not too gifted down there so it'll be closer to the bush which increases the chance that hair will be involved in anything down there.

Dieuwer

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 pm

Something to do with hygiene?

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:22 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Interestingly, I have a straight friend whose big turn-on is armpit hair. I can go along with trimming for men, as long as it's in proportion to other body hair, but removing pubic hair? I don't really want to go near anybody who looks like a ten-year-old down below. :shakehead: :crazy:

apodino wrote:

We have incredibly filthy minds, so do not be surprised here at all. :D

Revelation wrote:
These days I'm accepting that I'm in the age group where grayness is gonna happen so I might as well start letting it show via the facial hair. So far the comments I get have been positive.

For that very reason I used to keep my facial hair very short and trimmed to a goattee. Eventually I got fed up with all that trimming and shaving and let the grey grow out to a full beard. And, surprisingly, it opened up a whole new world . . . :smile: :wink2:

Exactly, I find Women who retain their hair, other than armpits, much more attractive, it is far more ‘womenly’ to me, even retaining a small, trimmed intimate area

I think this is really a generational thing, there’s also the unfounded belief that shaving off all genital hair is cleaner and makes you less susceptible to STD’s in fact the opposite is true, the end result of shaving itself leaves the area more open and vulnerable

GGg

TSS

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:16 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Something to do with hygiene?

There seems to be a common misconception among younger folks that hair=dirty, which of course is not true, so just to mess with them I like to point out that the hair on top of their head is made of hair too.

einsteinboricua wrote:
based on what I've seen, the average American is not too gifted down there

C'mon mate, you knew certain sacrifices would have to be made when you left Puerto Rico, aka "Schlong Island", to come mix with us mere mortals here on the mainland. No need to rub it in.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:16 pm

TSS wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
based on what I've seen, the average American is not too gifted down there

C'mon mate, you knew certain sacrifices would have to be made when you left Puerto Rico, aka "Schlong Island", to come mix with us mere mortals here on the mainland. No need to rub it in.

That's the problem. For the time I lived in the island, I had no idea of what awaited me in the mainland.

TWA772LR

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 pm

I've only been clean shaven from the ear, down 4 times in my life, for my district and region swim meets in high school. Nothing felt more like a big meet than jumping in for the warm up totally shaven wearing your special material suit that's supposed to be 2 sizes too small.

I became a pretty hairy guy over the years and after 12th grade I decided all that shaving work wasn't worth it.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

apodino

Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:34 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
apodino wrote:
One is because a girl I used to date didn't like any hair below the neck on guys she was dating.
It's interesting how YOU have to change for her, but she didn't. If I ever met someone who said "can you shave? I don't like body hair", I'd dump them right there. If I manscape, it's for myself.

To be fair, she herself shaved, and she just hates Pubic Hair in general. And interestingly enough, you actually make the same argument that I hear a lot of women make about shaving, particularly those who don't shave. One thing I will note is that just because of nature, if a woman wants a man to shave, he will probably do it because he things it will make it more likely to get him sex. The same is not true in inverse.

Braybuddy wrote:
apodino wrote:

We have incredibly filthy minds, so do not be surprised here at all. :D :

I am not surprised at the dirty mind part. What I was surprised by is I felt manscaping would be a very common trend among Gay Men, and it may not be as common as I think. As for Dirty Minds, well I expect that even among most Heterosexuals, and homosexuals are a given :)

TSS

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:12 am

apodino wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
apodino wrote:

We have incredibly filthy minds, so do not be surprised here at all. :D :

I am not surprised at the dirty mind part. What I was surprised by is I felt manscaping would be a very common trend among Gay Men, and it may not be as common as I think. As for Dirty Minds, well I expect that even among most Heterosexuals, and homosexuals are a given :)

It was a big trend among gay men for quite a while, ramping up in the 80s and peaking in the mid to late 90s, but as with so many other trends once it started becoming mainstream that was taken as a clear sign it was time to give it up. Also, not all of us were on board with manscaping to begin with: The "Bear" movement arose and gained popularity in part as a backlash against all the depictions of the "ideal" gay man being someone who was freakishly (and artificially if necessary) lozenge-smooth that were aimed at us in media of the time.

An767

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:53 am

I have manscaped for years. For hygiene reasons i do not like hair down there. and it highlights sensation at certain times :)
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

TARTRESED

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:25 am

TSS wrote:
TARTRESED wrote:

If you could clarify a bit, upon which side of the beard fascination do you stand: Those who think everyone should be scrupulously shaved, three times a day if necessary, in a quixotic attempt to convince the world that your face is as smooth and hairless as a baby's bottom, or those who think that a man who does not proudly display at least some facial hair is indeed no man at all? Admittedly those are two extremes, but my own feelings on the matter are closer to the latter than the former, mainly because kissing a guy who is clean-shaven is too much like kissing a girl for my comfort so the more facial hair on a man the better, I say.

I guess both. I have a large scruffy half beard, I may scrape it off in the next day or seven, or I may just let it go until I look like a homeless man on a street corner. I will say though that when I have a girlfriend I keep my face smooth as a baby's butt so I don't chafe her thighs.

Revelation

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:31 pm

I was watching comedian Sarah Millican on u2b and she had a good answer for how she womanscapes: "I have just enough hair down there to put a pedophile off!".
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

aeromoe

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 pm

Kind of off topic but what exactly is a "brosband"? I Googled it but I'm still not sure I understand it. Thanks.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

TSS

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:46 pm

aeromoe wrote:
Kind of off topic but what exactly is a "brosband"? I Googled it but I'm still not sure I understand it. Thanks.

It is Seb's unique term for his "significant other"/partner, as first mentioned here- https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1306529&p=18298829&hilit=brosband#p18298829

aeromoe

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:08 pm

TSS wrote:
aeromoe wrote:

It is Seb's unique term for his "significant other"/partner, as first mentioned here- https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1306529&p=18298829&hilit=brosband#p18298829

Thank you...that explains it.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

Sokes

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:48 pm

I like pubic hair "Adolf" style.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

TSS

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:51 pm

Sokes wrote:
I like pubic hair "Adolf" style.

That style is known as the "Landing Strip". That name is a bit of a misnomer because when you think about it a real landing strip is a cleared area amongst forest or at least undergrowth whereas a "Landing Strip" in a personal grooming context is the last remaining strip of forest in an area that has been clear-cut, but I suppose the more technically accurate terms "Vertical Hedge" or "Mons Mohawk" just don't have quite the same ring to them.