Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

csturdiv
Topic Author

Getting into old music?

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 am

I think we all have had that one friend who raves about a band for about as long as you have known them, but have never listened to that bad. For me, is a friend and former co-worker of mine, I've known him since the mid-2000s and for as long as I have known him, he raved about some Swedish band called Kent and he was saying I should listen to them, I never did. Fast forward to 2020 and me browsing YouTube a few days ago looking at videos of the final Qantas 747 flight recently from just down the street from me at SYD. As I was listening to a video with the ATC recording, over in the related videos was a video from Kent, a song called 747. So after the Qantas video ended, I clicked on the link and took a listen. That song has been on repeat ever since, both the original Swedish version and the English version. I am thinking that maybe I should've taken him up on this recommendation a lot earlier.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

TSS

Re: Getting into old music?

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm

Many years ago a guy I worked with tried his best to get me to go see an unknown band he really liked at Tuxedo Junction, a venue about the size of the average convenience store, but I passed. The band's name was... The Smashing Pumpkins.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

bhill

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:33 pm

Yup, I switch from Rush/Led Zeppelin to Scarlatti/Vivaldi when working on my ship model..... ;-)
Carpe Pices

VolvoBus

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:01 pm

TSS wrote:
Many years ago a guy I worked with tried his best to get me to go see an unknown band he really liked at Tuxedo Junction, a venue about the size of the average convenience store, but I passed. The band's name was... The Smashing Pumpkins.

Back in the dim and very distant past, some school-mates of mine would talk about a Rhythm and Blues band that played in the back room of one of their local pubs. They also commented how butt-ugly the lead singer was.

The singer ? A guy called Mick Jagger and the band was the Rolling Stones.

Ken777

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 pm

For around 33 years a band called 1964 playing Beatles music would play a concert in Tulsa to full houses - with lots of folks coming from out of state. Covid-19 killed it this yer, but now for long.

Another surprise for me was how well Jersey Boys did in Tulsa. The music was spectacular, but the language was not tolerable for the Bible Belt - but no limit on F Bombs didn't run off those enjoying the music.

Paul McCartney never has a problem playing to a full house for multiple nights.

The embarrassing Oooops situation for me was just before HS Graduation. I played tenor sax in a school jazz band and was invited (along with a friend who played Alto Sax to try out for a band that played at Shadow Lake over the summer. My friend tried out and joined the band. I had to pass because I was already committed fo play in the local little theatre summer production. The wonderful young lady I was dating had also committed to the play.

My friend had a great summer and stayed with the band throughout college.

The Band? David Gates and the Shadow Lake Eight

Ken777

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Ken777 wrote:
For around 33 years a band called 1964 playing Beatles music would play a concert in Tulsa to full houses - with lots of folks coming from out of state. Covid-19 killed it this yer, but now for long.

Another surprise for me was how well Jersey Boys did in Tulsa. The music was spectacular, but the language was not tolerable for the Bible Belt - but no limit on F Bombs didn't run off those enjoying the music.

Paul McCartney never has a problem playing to a full house for multiple nights.

The embarrassing Oooops situation for me was just before HS Graduation. I played tenor sax in a school jazz band and was invited (along with a friend who played Alto Sax to try out for a band that played at Shadow Lake over the summer. My friend tried out and joined the band. I had to pass because I was already committed fo play in the local little theatre summer production. The wonderful young lady I was dating had also committed to the play.

My friend had a great summer and stayed with the band throughout college.

The Band? David Gates and the Shadow Lake Eight

Ouch!

seb146

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:46 pm

I know they are not an "old" band but I remember seeing ads for concerts at some of the small venues around Portland and Salem and Vancouver in the back of the free papers. One of the bands that seemed to always be playing in the area at small venues was Black Eyed Peas. I never went.

When I was a long haul truck driver, I would have to spend two days in Salt Lake City to reset my hours. One time, I stayed at a cheap motel instead of in my truck. I went to a bar close to the hotel and listened to Avenged Sevenfold play. I had no idea who they were at the time.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

luckyone

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:08 pm

For a lot of people around my age that band seems to be Nirvana, which aside from one song I never could stand.