Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

I’m a sucker

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:33 am

Hi everyone! I was swept off my feet by a fast talking Facebook ad promising a paddleboard for $37. I go to the site to by 2 on impulse and turns out it’s just paddles. I contacted the seller via PayPal to cancel my order so I have a suspicion nothing will happen except the possibility of maybe getting some paddles in the mail. I’m a sucker.

So since misery loves company, what are your notable “I’m a sucker” moments?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

stl07

Re: I’m a sucker

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:17 am

When Elon Musk's hacked twitter last year was offering 10 bitcoins if you sent him one. Thankfully I couldn't find the credit card and sure enough, it was a scam. This was before this was a big scam and I thought he was just playing some game.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:09 am

ordered Christmas toys for my grandchildren through Facebook, and they never got anything i had to file a claim and spent hours getting my money back I finally got it back late January. The worse part, is that my grandkids, didn't get anything from me for Christmas. I will never ever buy anything on Facebook again. Not sure why, I thought Facebook wouldn't let scammers advertise. Looks at the conspiracy theories they spread daily.

casinterest

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:18 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
ordered Christmas toys for my grandchildren through Facebook, and they never got anything i had to file a claim and spent hours getting my money back I finally got it back late January. The worse part, is that my grandkids, didn't get anything from me for Christmas. I will never ever buy anything on Facebook again. Not sure why, I thought Facebook wouldn't let scammers advertise. Looks at the conspiracy theories they spread daily.

Yep. Do not buy from Facebook

My wife and I got suckered into a summer toy for the kids on the water. Address sent to was a bad address. I partially think this is the seed scam. You order a legitimate looking product that is cheap, and some random person or object gets the seeds from China.
Where ever you go, there you are.

LittleFokker

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Back in my early 20s, when I was desperate to get a date and trying to find an alternative to online dating, I visited Great Expectations, hoping to get a higher quality experience. Other than shooting a 2 minute profile video, they turned out to be not any better than other online dating sites. Except for the part where I got roped into signing an iron clad $2100 sales contract. Got no dates, but I did learn a big lesson about being played for a sucker. Easily the worst contract I have ever signed.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Okie

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:13 pm

We had finished up for the day on a project and all the people on the project were hanging around before heading home shooting the %$#&.
One of the guys said he had been looking for an ant and spider killer for his backyard. Said he had tried several to no avail that were child and animal/pet safe.
So he saw and add for Ant/Spider Eradicator, pet and child safe, guaranteed 100% to work or your money back $29.99 free shipping.

So he sprung for the deal and a little tiny wooden toy sized mallet arrived in the mail.

Okie

stratosphere

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:13 pm

When you are a trusting person you get burned even more than the average person. I was waiting tables when I was going to college in Phoenix in the early 80's I had a co worker down on his luck had no way to get to work I had a spare motorcycle a Yamaha TT500 I sold it too him for 500 dollars but he didn't have the money I said ok you can pay me 50 a week until it's paid off. He quit the job we worked at together and disappeared with the bike. Since I gave him a signed title I had no claim to it. I have been burned in later life too just part and parcel of being too trusting.

Dieuwer

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:16 pm

I seriously wonder if being a sucker or suffering from being "braindead" is increasing a lot under the general population. It seems more and more people simply believe anything they are being told and none of those people employ any critical thinking whatsoever to question the status quo.
Am I really one of the few human beings left with a functioning brain?

fallap

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 pm

Buying a private lap dance and a bottle of Champagne with a pretty hefty price tag at a strip club in Prague several years ago.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

fallap

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:39 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I seriously wonder if being a sucker or suffering from being "braindead" is increasing a lot under the general population. It seems more and more people simply believe anything they are being told and none of those people employ any critical thinking whatsoever to question the status quo.

Can you imagine the general level of knowledge in 16th. century *insert random place in the world* ? The main difference is that anyone with an internet uplink today can vent their thoughts and opinions - just a few decades ago people's unintelligent ramblings never made it far from their limited circles of associates, thus giving a false impression that the IQ of the general population has declined. When in fact it has risen due to improvements and prevalence in education.

In fact, I dare say that your claim that people are more and more less able to employ critical thinking is a lack of critical thinking on your behalf. <3

Dieuwer

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 pm

fallap wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Can you imagine the general level of knowledge in 16th. century *insert random place in the world* ? The main difference is that anyone with an internet uplink today can vent their thoughts and opinions - just a few decades ago people's unintelligent ramblings never made it far from their limited circles of associates, thus giving a false impression that the IQ of the general population has declined. When in fact it has risen due to improvements and prevalence in education.

In fact, I dare say that your claim that people are more and more less able to employ critical thinking is a lack of critical thinking on your behalf. <3

If that is so, then why was Trump elected?
Besides, your last claim is refuted by the fact that Identity Politics has been playing a larger and larger role in society, which is the antithesis to critical thinking.
On the claim of increasing IQ: if clever people are riled up by loudmouths and act according to primal emotions, critical thinking isn't even in the picture. So yes, you can have a general higher level of IQ and a loss of critical thinking. As long as you appeal to dark human emotions like superiority, racism, nationalism, envy, hatred, etc.

fallap

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:09 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
fallap wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

If that is so, then why was Trump elected?
Besides, your last claim is refuted by the fact that Identity Politics has been playing a larger and larger role in society, which is the antithesis to critical thinking.
On the claim of increasing IQ: if clever people are riled up by loudmouths and act according to primal emotions, critical thinking isn't even in the picture. So yes, you can have a general higher level of IQ and a loss of critical thinking. As long as you appeal to dark human emotions like superiority, racism, nationalism, envy, hatred, etc.

Blimey, I thought you were going to quote my escapade with the Czech strippers :(

Well, there are a ton of reasons for why people chose to vote for Mr. Trump, some probably lacked critical thinking, other's were concerned about their future livelihood. Politics 101 is never to ostracize potential voters.

Well, there are certainly new trends emerging in society that stand in stark contrast to the idea of critical thinking. But I still doubt that the overall decline in people's capacity of doing critical thinking is as prevalent as it may seem. In any case, it is a rather difficult claim to falsify.

Dieuwer

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:09 pm

After Googling around a bit, it seems that a study by Arum and Raksa has indeed found that "critical thinking" has stagnated and sometimes is lost under current college kids compared to previous generations.

https://www.amazon.ca/Academically-Adri ... 0226028569

See also: https://www.secondwavelearning.com/insi ... ing-skills
Last edited by Dieuwer on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallap

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Did I just use "well, there are" twice?

fallap

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
After Googling around a bit, it seems that a study by Arum and Raksa has indeed found that "critical thinking" has stagnated and sometimes is lost under current college kids compared to previous generations.

https://www.amazon.ca/Academically-Adri ... 0226028569

Well, problem solved then :D

Braybuddy

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 am

Dieuwer wrote:

Very interesting. It would explain the lack of nuance in sociological debates today.

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am

fallap wrote:
Buying a private lap dance and a bottle of Champagne with a pretty hefty price tag at a strip club in Prague several years ago.

Same thing happened to me and a friend in Paris about 20 years ago, that cost 15000 francs. I got it back from the credit card company after claiming the card was stolen.

fallap

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:22 am

Kiwirob wrote:
fallap wrote:

Same thing happened to me and a friend in Paris about 20 years ago, that cost 15000 francs. I got it back from the credit card company after claiming the card was stolen.

Damn, why didn't I think of that back then? haha

Olddog

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 am

Because it works only with theses cards without PIN code :)
Sentence from Belgian PM at press conference forbidden due to new rules

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm

I fell for a couple of Instagram ads. Never again. I still received my items, but they fail to tell you they're being shipped from Thailand or China and it takes weeks of processing, followed by more weeks of transit, and then a few more for hand off to USPS for final delivery. The first one I paid directly with credit card so if it had been a scam, I would have no protection. The second one was through PayPal and I could have at least gotten some peace of mind knowing that I could get my money back.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Dutchy

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:36 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Hi everyone! I was swept off my feet by a fast talking Facebook ad promising a paddleboard for $37. I go to the site to by 2 on impulse and turns out it’s just paddles. I contacted the seller via PayPal to cancel my order so I have a suspicion nothing will happen except the possibility of maybe getting some paddles in the mail. I’m a sucker.

I would like to offer another perspective. I have read the Rutger Bregman's book: de meeste mensen deugen (it has been translated in English, but couldn't find the title for it), among the stories mentions were the. 6 boy's lost on a deserted island in the Pacific, the real Lord of the Flies. It is a nice essay about humankind and that we basically are programmed to cooperate.

In the end he gave some useful advice: if you do not get ripped off ones in a while, you live your life in fear of your fellow human. So the benefit of getting ripped off once in a while is trusting your fellow men and in general a more positive attitude towards unknown people. So less stress and a happier life. A nice trade-off to make.

So good for you to get ripped off and being a sucker :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Aesma

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 pm

As a teen an older guy convinced me he could get any computer component "fallen from the truck" (I didn't know it meant stolen), so I gave him cash for a graphic card and I never got it, when I went back for my money he got a knife out.

Nowadays I only am suckered half willingly. For example I participated in a couple of bitcoin ponzis some years ago. They're not lying, it's a Ponzi scheme. So if you're early enough and don't reinvest several times, you can probably win. In practice I couldn't stop reinvesting and at some point (a few hours later) no money came back.

Now that I think of it there was that girl I was fawning over in college, I met her on a forum, we met for real (so not a total sucker), I lent her some cash and a spare laptop. We got out a few times until she made it clear that as a Muslim it was marriage before sex. I'm not that big a sucker, and she wasn't really suggesting we marry anyway, just a way to push me away. I got some cash back then she disappeared. Later I found out she went out with another guy from the same forum and she gave him a handjob, I guess religion is flexible.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dieuwer

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I would like to offer another perspective. I have read the Rutger Bregman's book: de meeste mensen deugen (it has been translated in English, but couldn't find the title for it), among the stories mentions were the. 6 boy's lost on a deserted island in the Pacific, the real Lord of the Flies. It is a nice essay about humankind and that we basically are programmed to cooperate.

In the end he gave some useful advice: if you do not get ripped off ones in a while, you live your life in fear of your fellow human. So the benefit of getting ripped off once in a while is trusting your fellow men and in general a more positive attitude towards unknown people. So less stress and a happier life. A nice trade-off to make.

"Humankind: A Hopeful History"?

https://www.amazon.com/Humankind-Hopefu ... 152&sr=8-2

L410Turbolet

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:31 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Being totally shafted by airlines as we speak?

Dutchy

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:48 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

"Humankind: A Hopeful History"?

https://www.amazon.com/Humankind-Hopefu ... 152&sr=8-2

Probably, yeah. So a nice reading tip to put human kind in a bit more realistic view :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

af773atmsp

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Back in 2015 my Volkswagen Passat needed too many expensive repairs so I sold it off. Even though I was going to be studying in Norway in a couple months and my family was fine with just two cars, for some reason I thought I absolutely needed a new car. I worked at a dealership and was told one of the mechanics was selling his car, a 1996 or 97 Saab hatchback. Since a mechanic owned it I figured it was well taken care of and if there were any issues he could easily fix them. So I gave him $2500 cash and it was mine. How many days did I have it before there was an issue? One. I noticed on our driveway it was leaking fluid, and so I talked with the guy who sold it to me and he said he would take care of it. Fast forward a few weeks and as I was walking by him and his buddy mechanics someone said "how's your car?" I turned around and they disappeared. At that point I was done being nice and raised my tone to him about fixing my car. We agreed on a day and then of course when that day came he put it off again. Maybe I could've gone to small claims court but I was less than a month away from studying in Norway and I didn't want that hanging over my head while I was there, so I scrapped it and got some money for it. Worst purchase I've ever made and it's scared me away from buying another car.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.