Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Protests in Berlin Over COVID-19 Restrictions

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:21 am

On Saturday, a large group of far right protestors gathered at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin to protest Germany's COVID-19 restrictions. Coronavirus guidelines in the country require face masks to be worn if 5 feet of social distancing can not be maintained. The 17,000 proteators were warned that they would only be able to participate if they wore face masks and maintained social distancing, many of whom were not doing. After all this, I would not be surprised if a huge increase in COVID-19 cases are seen in Berlin.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

AirWorthy99

Re: Protests in Berlin Over COVID-19 Restrictions

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:56 am

So when one group protests in the streets there is worry about COVID 19, but when another does, there is not much to worry about:

https://time.com/5851165/germany-anti-racism-protests/

This article I am posting doesn't mention any concern at all for COVID, that's because they were protesting for something the media is in favor of.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Aaron747

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
So when one group protests in the streets there is worry about COVID 19, but when another does, there is not much worry about

This is a false statement - if you view the report from Deutsche Welle on that day, there is obviously concern for/thought about COVID.

https://youtu.be/Zf4I9mv_0uQ
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
On Saturday, a large group of far right protestors gathered at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin to protest Germany's COVID-19 restrictions. Coronavirus guidelines in the country require face masks to be worn if 5 feet of social distancing can not be maintained. The 17,000 proteators were warned that they would only be able to participate if they wore face masks and maintained social distancing, many of whom were not doing. After all this, I would not be surprised if a huge increase in COVID-19 cases are seen in Berlin.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

To be more accurate, there were protests in Berlin for and against COVID restrictions.

https://youtu.be/3F2i0wDCfug
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LabQuest

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:13 am

How could this happen in a country like Germany? They are supposed to be civilized.

santi319

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 am

LabQuest wrote:
How could this happen in a country like Germany? They are supposed to be civilized.

Its easy to judge, but when you may lose your job, your savings, your house, its a bit harsh to not be empathetic. And yes I know human life over monetary value but unfortunately western civilization is 100% materialistic. Some if not most of these people may end up homeless, or displaced, etc.

continental004

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 am

I think it’s fabulous that those Germans have started protesting these draconian lockdowns.

btw, I support both anti-lockdown protests and BLM protests.

Francoflier

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 am

santi319 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Its easy to judge, but when you may lose your job, your savings, your house, its a bit harsh to not be empathetic. And yes I know human life over monetary value but unfortunately western civilization is 100% materialistic. Some if not most of these people may end up homeless, or displaced, etc.

Not to mention that those who advocate for harsh and indefinite lockdowns are usually not the ones who risk losing their livelihoods, yet they are more than happy to throw thousands of their fellow citizens under the bus while proudly claiming to stand on the moral high ground. The hypocrisy of it all is what irritates me the most about all these harsh measures.

That said, these particular protests seemed to mostly be organised by rather nasty far right groups, the 'Trumpers' of Europe, and they mostly seem to go against the wearing of masks, which is completely idiotic and selfish, given how much benefit masks bring for the relative minimal discomfort. If they want the restrictions to be lifted, they'd better get on wearing those masks.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

santi319

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:37 am

Francoflier wrote:

That said, these particular protests seemed to mostly be organised by rather nasty far right groups, the 'Trumpers' of Europe, and they mostly seem to go against the wearing of masks, which is completely idiotic and selfish, given how much benefit masks bring for the relative minimal discomfort. If they want the restrictions to be lifted, they'd better get on wearing those masks.

Indeed, parts of Berlin and East/Southeast of Berlin specially, are the new far right extremist grounds in Germany that are more in line with Poland or Hungary than that of West Europe.

tommy1808

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:28 am

santi319 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Its easy to judge, but when you may lose your job, your savings, your house, its a bit harsh to not be empathetic.

Unlikely that they lost any of that .....

continental004 wrote:
I think it’s fabulous that those Germans have started protesting these draconian lockdowns..

the simple fact that this protest was properly announced and not banned from happening goes a long way to show that there are no "draconian" lookdowns. Geez, we never even had stay at home orders...

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Redd

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:14 am

santi319 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

are the new far right extremist grounds in Germany that are more in line with Poland or Hungary than that of West Europe.

Can you not equate far right extremism to Poland please? Well over half of the country doesn't support the current regime and statements like yours spread ignorance.

VTKillarney

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:37 am

If the protesters are arguing for fewer restrictions, shouldn’t they be wearing masks? The two go hand in hand.

tommy1808

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:03 am

VTKillarney wrote:
If the protesters are arguing for fewer restrictions, shouldn’t they be wearing masks? The two go hand in hand.

in that case the protest would not have been dissolved, and they couldn´t claim victim status...

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

marcelh

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:03 pm

continental004 wrote:
I think it’s fabulous that those Germans have started protesting these draconian lockdowns.

btw, I support both anti-lockdown protests and BLM protests.

I don't think someone from the United States of America should "advise" the Germans how to deal with Covid-19.....
Keeping distance and wear a mask when needed to contain the virus as much as possible doesn't come close to "draconian lockdowns".

"(CNN)A large crowd of far-right groups gathered for a "sit-in" at Berlin's iconic Brandenburg Gate on Saturday to protest against the German government's coronavirus restrictions."
and
"Current coronavirus guidelines in Germany stipulate that people must maintain a distance of 1.5 meters, or about 5 feet. Where that is not possible, face masks must be worn."

source:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/01/world/berlin-germany-covid-19-protest-intl/index.html

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Francoflier wrote:
santi319 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Not to mention that those who advocate for harsh and indefinite lockdowns are usually not the ones who risk losing their livelihoods, yet they are more than happy to throw thousands of their fellow citizens under the bus while proudly claiming to stand on the moral high ground. The hypocrisy of it all is what irritates me the most about all these harsh measures.

It is possible that the protestors might think that COVID-19 is a hoax as well.

ltbewr

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:43 pm

I wonder if many of the German protesters are former East Germans who have a deep distrust of government from their earlier life experience and since the wall fell of discrimination and still higher levels of unemployment than in the 'West' states.

Dutchy

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:45 pm

[quote="ArchGuy1"It is possible that the protestors might think that COVID-19 is a hoax as well.[/quote]

Not against the law to believe in stupid things. As long as you observe the anti-Covid guidelines you can protest anything you like. Not for officials to judge whether your cause is right or wrong.
At least some haven't lost their humor in the protests:

source
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!