Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Kindle ?

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:41 am

I just download this app on to my I phone

I like it although the screens a bit small, I don’t like the left - right scrolling though and can’t figure out how to change it to an up down, vertical scroll

Googling has not provided an answer yet, any ideas ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

NWAESC

Re: Kindle ?

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:56 am

Have you tried tapping the middle of a page, and then opening up the Aa menu? I think it might be in there?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

tommy1808

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Max Q wrote:
I just download this app on to my I phone

I like it although the screens a bit small, I don’t like the left - right scrolling though and can’t figure out how to change it to an up down, vertical scroll

Googling has not provided an answer yet, any ideas ?

I think Amazon made a colossal UX screw up with this one, as the function isn´t where you´d expect it (reading settings), nor is it named very well (continuous scrolling).

When you have your book open, tap the "Aa" on top of the reading screen, activate continuous scrolling. Somehow, i guess "reasons", the function is not available for all content.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but would anyone recommend getting a Fire tablet just for Kindle and streaming? I saw that Amazon was selling the tablets at a steep discount (not anymore though), and was considering getting one and just use the iPad for general social media and/or other items that require a bit more manpower.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BlueberryWheats

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:19 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but would anyone recommend getting a Fire tablet just for Kindle and streaming? I saw that Amazon was selling the tablets at a steep discount (not anymore though), and was considering getting one and just use the iPad for general social media and/or other items that require a bit more manpower.

We bought a Fire tablet for our kid, it's the most laggy, slow, crash-prone tablet I've ever used... but does feel pretty indestructible compared to an iPad or Samsung tab.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:29 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
We bought a Fire tablet for our kid, it's the most laggy, slow, crash-prone tablet I've ever used...

I have an old generation Fire 8. I THINK that, because I installed the Google Play store and installed a few Android apps, it's slowed down significantly. I figured the newer generations address this and have enough space and RAM to run more applications. Right now, it's collecting dust because even unlocking it takes a LONG time.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

frmrCapCadet

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Ive used them for e-mail and the web. Not optimal but better than OK.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Tugger

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Well they ARE $50-$150 tablets....

For only recommend the regular Kindle reader. I got my first one for $20 off Craigslist (makes sure it is unlocked from the original account before paying anything). I really liked it as a book substitute (thought I still ove paper books). They are very good for what they do, easy to read and no strain like I've experienced with tablets. A few years later when they had a blowout sale I got a new one with the backlight.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Aesma

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:43 pm

I have a 10 years old Samsung E60 e-reader and would never consider reading on a regular smartphone/tablet, e-ink is the way to go for that use.

I wanted to read a new book and my Samsung wasn't starting up, I was going to replace it with a Kindle paperwhite. However I bought a new mini USB cable and that did the trick to charge the Samsung again.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

c933103

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:30 pm

According to my understabding, the spec of Fire tablet are on the low end that it's only enough if the only thing you do with them are reading, watching movie, and maybe play a few Sudoku types of static games.
But if you read a lot, then a traditional Kindle would definitely be better than these Fire tablets
On the other hand, if you watch a lot of film and series, then you might as well buy an iPad with bigger and the clear Retina screen, instead of settle for Fire tablet's screen quality.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

jetwet1

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:15 am

The fire tablet is not a good tablet, or e-reader, in trying to do two things it managed to do neither well. The Kindle has been a god send to me, my wife is an avid reader, to the point where we would check a small suitcase filled with books for long trips, now she carries a Kindle.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am

NWAESC wrote:
Have you tried tapping the middle of a page, and then opening up the Aa menu? I think it might be in there?

Thanks very much, that did the trick
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

NWAESC

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:19 pm

No problem! I'm glad it worked.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."