Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

apodino
Topic Author

NY Attorney General sues to disband the NRA

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:38 pm

This is probably the news story of the day. NY Attorney General Letitia James is suing to disband the NRA after an investigation revealed that senior NRA leadership was using the NRA treasury as their own personal piggy bank.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-ag-dissolve-nra-lawsuit

My thoughts.

I have no doubt that the leadership at the NRA has engaged in serious financial misconduct and should face consequences, possibly criminal. But I don't believe its fair to the NRA membership to disband the organization because its leadership was corrupt. The membership in my opinion has every right to take action against its leadership and should probably get financial compensation for what happened. However, the mission of what these people pay the NRA for, like it or not, still exists and I believe the membership still has the right to keep the NRA going with new leadership that is not corrupt the way the current leadership is. I do believe that Ms. James is absolutely correct to go after the leadership of the NRA, but where I think she is wrong is she is using their misconduct as a political tool to disband the whole organization, and I do not agree with that.

That being said, I hope the four leaders named here are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and I hope they are dealt with in a harsh manner. What they did was clearly embezzlement, and that is criminal in any organization.

seb146

Re: NY Attorney General sues to disband the NRA

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:49 pm

2A people are already whining and crying about "them libtarz iz takin r gunzz!!" when this is clearly about fraud and financial mismanagement. This has zero to do with 2A. Much like NRA is not about 2A anymore......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

scbriml

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:49 pm

Conservative heads: * explode *
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:07 pm

apodino wrote:

I have no doubt that the leadership at the NRA has engaged in serious financial misconduct and should face consequences, possibly criminal. But I don't believe its fair to the NRA membership to disband the organization because its leadership was corrupt.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

stlgph

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:08 pm

If you want an interesting read, Google all the news articles involving The NRA, Ackerman McQueen and the law firm of Brewer, Attorneys & Counselors.

As someone who is formerly associated with one of these entities and the other two in in-direct ways, I can assure you that everything you will read is true. Enjoy.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

casinterest

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
apodino wrote:

I have no doubt that the leadership at the NRA has engaged in serious financial misconduct and should face consequences, possibly criminal. But I don't believe its fair to the NRA membership to disband the organization because its leadership was corrupt.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I think it is time to disband it. It was a non profit that has a leadership council engaged in political attacks against honest Americans, while enriching dishonorable leadership.

If the members truly believe in gun ownership advocacy, then a new organization will take it's place.

After what has gone on in the past 5 years, I would have to think any remaining members have to be clueless about money and guns.
Where ever you go, there you are.

cairns

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:53 pm

No wonder NY taxes are so high and the wealthy are fleeing in droves. Crap like this is what the bureaucrats spend money on.

mmo

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 pm

What purpose does the NRA serve, other than being a mouthpiece for the ultra-right-wing movement and the people who equate the ability to own an assault weapon a guaranteed right contained in the 2nd amendment?

The demise of the NRA is ling overdue and will be welcomed.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:32 pm

casinterest wrote:

I think it is time to disband it.

Shouldn’t that be up to its members?

N583JB

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:35 pm

mmo wrote:
What purpose does the NRA serve, other than being a mouthpiece for the ultra-right-wing movement and the people who equate the ability to own an assault weapon a guaranteed right contained in the 2nd amendment?

The demise of the NRA is ling overdue and will be welcomed.

The NRA has helped defend 2A from anti-constitutionalists who wish to deprive people of their right to bear arms. Thankfully, with the pandemic, the civil unrest, and a small but very loud (and sometimes violent) minority wishing to "defund" the police, gun sales have skyrocketed in many areas. The 2A is as safe now as it ever has been. And many first-time gun owners are finding out that assault rifles are very useful for self defense when you can't count on the government or the police to protect you.

BN747

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:48 pm

George Floyd paid the ultimate price for allegedly passing a bogus $20 bill.

Wayne LaPierre and his band of criminals scammed their NRA supporters out of 10s of millions of dollars....

..and maladjusted standard of appropriate punishment.

Wayne LaPierre & fellow criminals = repay restitution. Multimillion dollar criminal theft.

George Floyd = thuggish police treatment death for a possible $20 offense.

Common sense clearly underscores which a sane human being should be angered by most.

But I'm sure some here will claim George Floyd is the greater offender.

Perspective...it can force you to reconsider 'just treatment and fairness'.

Who would be angered by a police neck pinch on Wayne LaPierre, I'm betting several ex-NRA members would love 9 minutes alone with Wayne LaPierre & criminals.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Revelation

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:10 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Shouldn't New York State law be followed?

Let me guess, this is politics, so NRA leadership should be able to raid their non-profit however they want.

Maybe they should have declared for-profit, those outfits seem to have no problem finding a way to pay no taxes.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

meecrob

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I'd say that if the members are unknowingly and involuntarily contributing to criminal activity, then they are compromised and cannot make an informed decision on the issue. I mean no disrespect to all the NRA members who are responsible gun enthusiasts, but they were the first people the NRA lied to on the basis that their enthusiasm/passion for firearms would allow them to overlook certain aspects of the NRA.

Tugger

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:35 pm

My guess this is like many modern prosecutions: Charge hard then work the plea.

So charge the organization hard, and then with the organizations cooperation and commitment to remove and assist in evidence for prosecution of the four in leadership, simply withdraw the lawsuit.

This is big games for adults only, as much as people may not like it, power only acknowledges power.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Revelation wrote:

Of course. That is a straw man argument. Anyone who engaged in wrongdoing should be held accountable. I’m talking about the government deciding that the membership (who is not alleged to have done anything wrong) can no longer have an organization. That’s pretty chilling, actually.

Revelation wrote:
Let me guess, this is politics, so NRA leadership should be able to raid their non-profit however they want.

Straw man argument #2.

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:33 pm

You know it's bad when Oliver North leaves an organization because it's too corrupt. Can't they just reorganize as a church and call it a day? Just channel Kenneth Copeland + guns. :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

NIKV69

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
2A people are already whining and crying about "them libtarz iz takin r gunzz!!" when this is clearly about fraud and financial mismanagement. This has zero to do with 2A. Much like NRA is not about 2A anymore......

I own a rifle. Do not belong to the NRA and nobody is taking my guns. This is just more propaganda and pandering. If they have committed a crime then prosecute.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Revelation

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:51 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Of course. That is a straw man argument. Anyone who engaged in wrongdoing should be held accountable.

The point I was making is presumably NY State has a law that says a corporation can be disbanded under certain circumstances, and presumably the AG is trying to convince a judge to enact that law. If the circumstances fit the law should be enacted. If the law is inappropriate, the law should be changed.

Revelation

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 pm

seb146 wrote:

Actually the Orange One tweeted this same kind of message but twisted it into an anti-Biden attack.

Gun nuts are easily triggered, sigh.

alfa164

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:05 pm

Revelation wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Of course. That is a straw man argument. Anyone who engaged in wrongdoing should be held accountable.

The point I was making is presumably NY State has a law that says a corporation can be disbanded under certain circumstances, and presumably the AG is trying to convince a judge to enact that law. If the circumstances fit the law should be enacted. If the law is inappropriate, the law should be changed.

Of course, you know some nameless, faceless A.net troll poster knows much more about the law than the Attorney General... right?

Revelation wrote:
Gun nuts are easily triggered, sigh.

I see what you did there!

:lol:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:08 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I own a rifle. Do not belong to the NRA and nobody is taking my guns. This is just more propaganda and pandering. If they have committed a crime then prosecute.

Exactly. This is why the New York AG filed a law suit. LaPierre allegedly used all those donations for his own personal gain. Ollie North did not.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:16 pm

So what exactly is the law that allows the AG to disband the NRA?

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:18 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

The best I could find was this:
State law in New York that governs corporations allows the attorney general to seek to dissolve organizations for serious misconduct, though courts may also impose less extreme penalties.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... onal-rifle

I’d love to see how many corrupt left leaning organizations the AG has sought to disband. My guess. Zero. If so, the AG should be soundly criticized.

BN747

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:02 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

State law in New York that governs corporations allows the attorney general to seek to dissolve organizations for serious misconduct, though courts may also impose less extreme penalties.

I’d love to see how many corrupt left leaning organizations the AG has sought to disband. My guess. Zero. If so, the AG should be soundly criticized.

It's a natural flow of human conduct when huge piles of many is placed in few hands...regardless of party, but please ignore this fish in. the net because it's a rightwing org, does compile your list of left corrupt orgs to make you feel better.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:12 pm

BN747 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

It's a natural flow of human conduct when huge piles of many is placed in few hands...regardless of party, but please ignore this fish in. the net because it's a rightwing org, does compile your list of left corrupt orgs to make you feel better.

BN747

You May have missed what I said earlier. I said that those doing wrong should be prosecuted. I don’t understand why the AG also wants to punish those members who are completely innocent of wrongdoing. That seems extremely political.

LittleFokker

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:37 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
[
You May have missed what I said earlier. I said that those doing wrong should be prosecuted. I don’t understand why the AG also wants to punish those members who are completely innocent of wrongdoing. That seems extremely political.

Dissolving the organization doesn't punish the members, it just means there's no longer that organization for them to belong to.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:39 pm

LittleFokker wrote:

Dissolving the organization doesn't punish the members, it just means there's no longer that organization for them to belong to.

Which punishes the members. They pay dues because they want to be a part of the organization and want an organization to advocate for them.

VTKillarney

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:53 pm

This type of fraud is very common in New York.
https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news ... gly-common

The only other example I could find of a non-profit being taken over involved authorities going to great pains to make sure that the non-profit continued its operation.
https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles ... lters.html

So, yeah, this is all about an AG using their position to try to stifle political speech they don’t approve of. This is borderline fascism.

casinterest

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:49 am

VTKillarney wrote:
This type of fraud is very common in New York.
https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news ... gly-common

The only other example I could find of a non-profit being taken over involved authorities going to great pains to make sure that the non-profit continued its operation.
https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles ... lters.html

So, yeah, this is all about an AG using their position to try to stifle political speech they don’t approve of. This is borderline fascism.

No this is getting rid of a corrupt organization, and it has been done many times,
it is just that most of the organizations shut themselves down since they are no longer trusted as 501 anymore/

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/67777895 ... estigation

Underwood said her office had detailed "a shocking pattern of illegality involving the Trump Foundation — including unlawful coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing, and much more. This amounted to the Trump Foundation functioning as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr. Trump's business and political interests."

Underwood said the foundation's decision to shutter was "an important victory for the rule of law."

All we see in all of this is further evidence of the swamp of lies and deceit of the GOP and NRA swamp as it continues to cheat the common lay person that has no idea how crooked the top of the chain is.

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:55 am

Even the AG is not alleging that the organization itself is corrupt. She is alleging that the leadership is misusing money for personal travel and other such things. We aren’t talking about bribery or anything like that.

The solution is to go after the leadership for their personal failures. Not to stifle political speech. The former is justice. The latter is arguably fascism.
Last edited by VTKillarney on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

casinterest

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Even the AG is not alleging that the organization is corrupt. She is alleging that the leadership is misusing money for personal travel and other such things. We aren’t talking about bribery or anything like that.

The solution is to go after the leadership for their personal failures. Not to stifle an opponent’s political speech. The latter is borderline fascism.

They aren't going after anyone's political speech. The Gun owners can fund organizations that support their "political needs" rather than lining the pockets of a corrupt organization such as the NRA.

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 am

casinterest wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Even the AG is not alleging that the organization is corrupt. She is alleging that the leadership is misusing money for personal travel and other such things. We aren’t talking about bribery or anything like that.

The solution is to go after the leadership for their personal failures. Not to stifle an opponent’s political speech. The latter is borderline fascism.

They aren't going after anyone's political speech. The Gun owners can fund organizations that support their "political needs" rather than lining the pockets of a corrupt organization such as the NRA.

The gun owners HAVE formed an organization. It’s the NRA.

The leadership has allegedly had personal failings, but none of the allegations involve corrupt advocacy. That’s a critical distinction.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:07 am

Let’s see, people donate to an organization to collectively have their voices heard politically and to advance their interests. Said organization elects some corrupt people (like the Olympic Committee) who use organization funds for selfish reasons. The AG’s answer is to deprive those who were allegedly defrauded of their right to associate and join together to advance their collective interests.

Perhaps, charging LaPierre of corruption would be better.

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:18 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Let’s see, people donate to an organization to collectively have their voices heard politically and to advance their interests. Said organization elects some corrupt people (like the Olympic Committee) who use organization funds for selfish reasons. The AG’s answer is to deprive those who were allegedly defrauded of their right to associate and join together to advance their collective interests.

Crazy, I know. And very well said.

Imagine what your reaction would have been if Trump tried to disband the SPLC when they settled with Maajid Nawaz for $3.4 million after defaming him. If that would offend you, so should this.

BN747

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:20 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Corporations are people.

When said corporation violates NY state laws, they must be punished or ended.

This was the ultimate in self-dealing thievery.

You might be okay with it, but many with respect for Ethics are not pleased.

Nothing us stopping aggrieved members from taking their hard earned voice money and starting a law abiding organization.

Airlines go out of business, people lose jobs. private clubs go out of business and lose the associations...or start anew.

Beyond snowflake hurt ....not seeing a problem here.

Wayne LaPierre... always out in front adamantly fighting for gun rights in face of 1000s of freshly aggrieved parents across the country.

..in truth more importantly was grabbing money off the table, like a common thief!

BN747l

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:27 am

BN747 wrote:
Corporations are people.

Untrue. Full stop.

The Supreme Court has ruled that corporations have at least some of the legal rights and responsibilities enjoyed by natural persons - NOT that they actually are people. Huge difference.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate ... ted_States

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:37 am

Democrats in at least one battleground state are petrified that this political stunt will be a huge gift to Trump. (It will.)
https://www.dailywire.com/news/democrat ... parenthood

Meanwhile, the NRA is countersuing.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/bring-it ... of-its-own
Last edited by VTKillarney on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarRI1

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:37 am

VTKillarney wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Corporations are people.

Untrue. Full stop.

The Supreme Court has ruled that corporations have at least some of the legal rights and responsibilities enjoyed by natural persons - NOT that they actually are people. Huge difference.

You give human rights to corporations, hence corporations are people. Splitting hairs to me.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

BN747

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:39 am

VTKillarney wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Corporations are people.

Untrue. Full stop.

Wrong!

The court has ruled as such, but no one is buying until they see a corporation handcuffed and led down the courthouse stairs into a prisoner transport.

Until the a corporation deserves any rights of a natural person.
That ruling will change as with the changing times.

BN747

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:42 am

WarRI1 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Corporations are people.

Untrue. Full stop.

You give human rights to corporations, hence corporations are people. Splitting hairs to me.

You honestly believe that corporations can get married? You’d be fine with a corporation running for elected office? A corporation can get a driver’s license and be drafted? Surely you don’t believe what you are saying.

The experts don’t believe it.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/expert- ... d=16943584

Regardless, this political stunt is a HUGE gift to Trump. The longer it goes on the better for his re-election chances. He couldn’t have dreamed of something this helpful so close to November.
Last edited by VTKillarney on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarRI1

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:58 am

VTKillarney wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Untrue. Full stop.

You honestly believe that corporations can get married? You’d be fine with a corporation running for elected office? A corporation can get a driver’s license and be drafted? Surely you don’t believe what you are saying.

Regardless, this political stunt is a HUGE gift to Trump. The longer it goes on the better for his re-election chances. He couldn’t have dreamed of something this helpful so close to November.

I did not write the stupid decision, the Majority of the USSC did.

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:59 am

As predicted, Trump has quickly pounced on the gift the AG has given him.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/trump-fi ... oy-the-nra

VTKillarney

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 am

WarRI1 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I did not write the stupid decision, the Majority of the USSC did.

Right. The court said that corporations share in some of the rights of natural persons. Not that they ARE natural persons.

If a man and a woman share in the right to eat a donut, the man doesn’t become a woman.

If you truly believe that corporations are people then you MUST be supportive of a corporation’s right to run for elected office. Are you willing to give the NRA that right? If not, them you finally get it.

WarRI1

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:16 am

Citizens United, a stupid ruling that put the US on the road to Oligarchy which we certainly have now.

alfa164

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:36 am

So now we see our resident provocateur headed over to "thedailywire.com" to try to "prove" a point - a website which is nothing but a political propaganda/hit-piece-masquerading-as-a-news-source... just like other sites of that ilk. The fact that anyone would lower themselves to that standard of reporting is a clear indicator of an agenda rather than a legitimate discussion. These claims aren't even deserving of a response - nor are the inflammatory comments that accompany them. The number of false reports that source generates makes it dubious, at best, as a font of information. It is the best considered journalistic diarrhea.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-daily-wire/

jordanh

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:42 am

VTKillarney wrote:
If you truly believe that corporations are people then you MUST be supportive of a corporation’s right to run for elected office. Are you willing to give the NRA that right? If not, them you finally get it.

Since you are so much smarter than anyone else, you really should take your argument to the U.S. Supreme Court, where you can make these spurious claims without the cloak of anonymity, and where you might have to face the problem of actually having to prove your claims, rather than merely insulting everyone else's intelligence with so much mendacity and drivel.

BN747

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:59 am

VTKillarney wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Untrue. Full stop.

You honestly believe that corporations can get married?

Think fella, they're called mergers...

BN747

CaptHadley

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:34 am

Careful now, you’re gonna run off someone. Who’ll comeback as version “VT1” then as numerous other screen names.

alfa164

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Careful now, you’re gonna run off someone. Who’ll comeback as version “VT1” then as numerous other screen names.

We all notice that; he's had more names than Trump's had lies. Well, almost as many...

;)

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 am

BN747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Corporations are people.

When said corporation violates NY state laws, they must be punished or ended.

This was the ultimate in self-dealing thievery.

You might be okay with it, but many with respect for Ethics are not pleased.

Nothing us stopping aggrieved members from taking their hard earned voice money and starting a law abiding organization.

Airlines go out of business, people lose jobs. private clubs go out of business and lose the associations...or start anew.

Beyond snowflake hurt ....not seeing a problem here.

Wayne LaPierre... always out in front adamantly fighting for gun rights in face of 1000s of freshly aggrieved parents across the country.

..in truth more importantly was grabbing money off the table, like a common thief!

BN747l

Then, no problem, charge LaPierre and others appropriately and try them in court. It’s not the organization that’s the problem, it’s the management. This is just a stunt.