Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Concept for a New Type of Observation Tower

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 pm

A concept for a new form of observation tower has been unveiled by a collaboration between Danish architects and engineers called the Spiral Tower. Such a tower would feature passenger cabins spiraling up and down the green facade powered by solar panels and a windmill on top. The consortium behind the design is looking for a financial backer for the tower that would stand anywhere between 60 to 150 meters or 197 to 492 feet tall and hold anywhere between 4 and 16 cabins. Northern Lights is in talks with several cities to make this a reality. The plan is to mimic the success of the London Eye with a smaller footprint with each cabin holding 12 people at a time and taking a few minutes to go to the top and back down. This could lead to 3 million tourists a year going up this attraction. Such a unique attraction could be built in cities like Rome, Muscat (Oman), Sharm el Sheikh (Egypt), Lucerne (Switzerland), Charleston (South Carolina), Baltimore (Maryland), or other cities without a mass market observation deck in my opinion.
https://www.timeout.com/news/this-eco-f ... ity-071520

T18

Re: Concept for a New Type of Observation Tower

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:42 pm

Doesn't Seaworld in Orlando have a tower with a spiral accent concept? Granted their execution of the idea is a bit different in fact I would argue that design maybe better/more cost effective with a single large cabin/viewing platform vs multiple smaller ones.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:45 pm

T18 wrote:
Doesn't Seaworld in Orlando have a tower with a spiral accent concept? Granted their execution of the idea is a bit different in fact I would argue that design maybe better/more cost effective with a single large cabin/viewing platform vs multiple smaller ones.

The article would be worth reading to see what such a tower would be like. Also, SeaWorld has a single large rotating cabin.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:10 am

Interesting. It's kind of like a Ferris wheel, but the circular path has been twisted into a spiral. Because the spiral cannot rotate around a horizontal axis to move the pods (at least not without either some elaborate engineering or some serious carnage), the pods themselves move along the spiral track (a cable drive or something similar?). In this rendering, a cable drive wouldn't work because the top of the tower has multiple sections of track, so a pod would arrive at the top, dwell there, and the top of the tower would rotate, offering a view until it lines up with the "down" track and then the pod would descend.

Much like in a Ferris wheel, the pods that are descending give their energy to the system and balance out the energy needed to raise the ascending pods. However, in a Ferris wheel, these two states are physically coupled, while in this proposal, the coupling would be electrical, with the descending pods generating electricity and the ascending pods would be using it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

seb146

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:57 am

I like the concept but I think it would be too expensive for many cities.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Max Q

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:07 pm

Looks great if you enjoy nausea !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg