Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota Still Taking Place

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:12 pm

The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota began on Friday with crowds of motorcycle enthusiasts gathering despite concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic. It has the potential to become the largest gathering in the United States since the start of the pandemic in the country and 250,000 people are expected to attend for the 10 day event. South Dakota has not had strict measures aganist COVID-19, including the lack of a face mask mandate. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if a huge COVID-19 outbreak will come to South Dakota.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnew ... ncerns.amp

NIKV69

Re: Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota Still Taking Place

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:37 pm

The Laughlin River Run was canceled this year because of the Pandemic. Kind of surprised about Sturgis.
I am the Googlizer!!!

ltbewr

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:46 pm

The people of Sturgis need the income and it is likely they couldn't have done much to stop people from showing up unless called up the National Guard. Besides the risk to locals, there is that this could be a 'superspreader' event. with 1000's possibly infected to/from and in the home areas of those attending. The only hope is that as many events are outside it somewhat reduces the risk.

NIKV69

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 am

ltbewr wrote:
The people of Sturgis need the income and it is likely they couldn't have done much to stop people from showing up unless called up the National Guard. Besides the risk to locals, there is that this could be a 'superspreader' event. with 1000's possibly infected to/from and in the home areas of those attending. The only hope is that as many events are outside it somewhat reduces the risk.

The people of Laughlin need the income too but you have to do what you have to do.
I am the Googlizer!!!

WarRI1

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:33 am

I watched the riders on the news, we are doomed by stupidity. One of the locals called it greedy and self serving by the local authorities who blamed it on state regulations.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Francoflier

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:59 am

WarRI1 wrote:
I watched the riders on the news, we are doomed by stupidity. One of the locals called it greedy and self serving by the local authorities who blamed it on state regulations.

It might not be that simple.

We're talking about 800.000 people who adhere to a culture that, by definition, tends to challenge rules and discipline and advocates unhindered freedom. Sturgis is a bit like a Mecca pilgrimage to them, and there's a good chance that many of them would have showed up with or without the blessing of the local authorities. Given how the event's crowds dwarf the local population, There's a case to be made for allowing the event while trying to encourage as many sanitary measures as possible rather than trying - and failing - to ban it resulting in a chaotic and out of control crowd descending upon a small town.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

KFTG

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:54 am

Good for them.

stl07

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:03 am

Yea, this virus will never be over in America.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

cpd

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:21 am

NIKV69 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

The people of Laughlin need the income too but you have to do what you have to do.

They could have hit them all with tear gas and used a very heavy handed response. None of this hitting them with the proverbial wet lettuce leaf.

I’ve got the damn virus outbreaks all around my area so I’m doing the right thing by avoiding any journey outside that isn’t needed. Things like this really annoy me.

GDB

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:38 am

As noted in the Covid thread;
Superspreader dummies alert!
(And before the usual suspects chime in with 'but...but....protestors', note what witnesses to this event say. Unlike the majority of those protestors none of these pretend macho clowns are masked up).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... s-pandemic

So no, not 'good for them'. It's an act of selfishness. I don't care if these clowns catch it, bet many are not so young or that healthy either. But it's not about them, it's everyone else unlucky to come in contact with them, including the medical staff so often despised by Trumpist super spreaders, (until they need them of course).

In an update, the Native Americans are trying to limit another case of being deliberately exposed to infections, they've reason in their history to fear that after all.
Dopey GOP shill eggs on superspreaders;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... heckpoints

bennett123

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:01 am

Whenever COVID struggles, it will find people to help out.

johns624

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Francoflier wrote:
[

We're talking about 800.000 people who adhere to a culture that, by definition, tends to challenge rules and discipline and advocates unhindered freedom.
95% of them are wannabe fakers. Too many of them trailer their bikes out there because riding them is too hard. It's all about being seen to be nonconformist, not to actually be nonconformist.

Kno

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:48 pm

A lot of bikers lean red, South Dakota is trump country, a lot of folks on that side of the tracks believe the virus to be a scam / hoax / bullshit. No surprise here.

Revelation

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Francoflier wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

It might not be that simple.

We're talking about 800.000 people who adhere to a culture that, by definition, tends to challenge rules and discipline and advocates unhindered freedom. Sturgis is a bit like a Mecca pilgrimage to them, and there's a good chance that many of them would have showed up with or without the blessing of the local authorities. Given how the event's crowds dwarf the local population, There's a case to be made for allowing the event while trying to encourage as many sanitary measures as possible rather than trying - and failing - to ban it resulting in a chaotic and out of control crowd descending upon a small town.

If it was like the actual Mecca pilgrimage, attendance would be limited to people already living in the area and social distancing would be followed:

Ref: https://www.insider.com/coronavirus-mec ... bia-2020-7

Kno wrote:
A lot of bikers lean red, South Dakota is trump country, a lot of folks on that side of the tracks believe the virus to be a scam / hoax / bullshit. No surprise here.

We should be seeing the "I used to think COVID19 was bullshit till I got it" stories in a week or so, kinda like the ones we got after Trump's rally.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

johns624

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Kno wrote:
And a lot don't. Many are union members. Just like any other large, disorganized group, you can't paint them with a broad brush.

continental004

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:09 pm

I love that it is still taking place. People exercising their freedom and not living in fear.

alfa164

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:13 pm

cpd wrote:
They could have hit them all with tear gas and used a very heavy handed response. None of this hitting them with the proverbial wet lettuce leaf..

Yep... what happened to Trump's masked, camouflaged mercenaries? Why weren't they in Sturgis to enforce "safety"? Surely he wouldn't be selective about where he wants to see security - both personal and public - enforced... would he?

continental004 wrote:
I love that it is still taking place. People exercising their freedom and not living in fear.

I love that it is still taking place. People willing to ignore the safety of everyone around them, exercising their stupidity, and not living in the real world.

There... I fixed it for you...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

continental004

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:27 pm

alfa164 wrote:
continental004 wrote:

I love that it is still taking place. People willing to ignore the safety of everyone around them, exercising their stupidity, and not living in the real world.

The strong will survive.

GDB

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:52 pm

continental004 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
continental004 wrote:

The strong will survive.

There have been many recorded cases, even so far, of younger, healthier people surviving but with some serious and it is feared, long term medical conditions.
Not that many of these often overweight clowns fall into those catergories.
Got elderly relatives, others with underlying health issues? Keeping away from them (or was that a fact of your life before the pandemic, you sound a right charmer).

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Kno wrote:

You’d be surprised at the number of private flights, trailered in bikes, very well-off people in their fancy RVs are in Sturgis. It’s definitely not a bunch of dumb rednecks and Hell’s Angels. An old friend from my EA class is headed there in a converted Prevost trailering their Harley’s

airtechy

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:40 pm

One thing to note is that it is unlikely they will take the virus back to give to "older relatives" as they are the "older relatives" judging by the crowd. It should however be a good time to pick up a "lightly used Harley" from an estate sale in a month or so. This may actually be the straw that finally puts HD out of business.

johns624

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:11 pm

continental004 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
continental004 wrote:

The strong will survive.
So many think they are "strong" but aren't.

NWAESC

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:13 pm

johns624 wrote:
95% of them are wannabe fakers. Too many of them trailer their bikes out there because riding them is too hard. It's all about being seen to be nonconformist, not to actually be nonconformist.

^The inconvenient truth of Sturgis.^

I'm sure Governor Noem's pandering to Trump helped keep this event going as well.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

cpd

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:39 pm

continental004 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
continental004 wrote:

The strong will survive.

Like the 50 year old doctor from Sydney, member of Sydney CC, pretty fit, for the virus and suffered bad heart problems as a result and also now has seizures. He cannot race a bicycle anymore (scarring in the heart, irregular heartbeat) and cannot drive a car because of the seizures.

Don’t chance it. He was fit and healthy. I guess you think it’s fun to stir up people in the internet with dumb comments, but your attitude is irresponsible and dangerous. This virus is not a left wing hoax, it isn’t a scamdemic, it can kill people or make them seriously sick, even those who are healthy.

MaverickM11

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:22 pm

Best and brightest in South Dakota:

PRESIDENT TRUMP
Lobbied S. Dakota Governor
ADD ME TO MT. RUSHMORE, PLEASE!!!

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/09/trump-wh ... -rushmore/
I don't take responsibility at all

WarRI1

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 am

In the case of Strugis and so many other areas around this country which have people who blindly follow Buffoons, religious or political, you can't fix stupid or selfishness.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

stl07

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:33 am

HA! The Indians are blocking visitors. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... heckpoints
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

vikkyvik

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:07 pm

johns624 wrote:
Just like any other large, disorganized group, you can't paint them with a broad brush.

You mean like saying 95% of them are wannabe fakers?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

slider

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:35 pm

stl07 wrote:

Not until Nov 5 anyhow!

Tugger

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:58 pm

slider wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Not until Nov 5 anyhow!

Why, will Trump suddenly step forward and instead lead for his last two months of lame-duck presidency? I doubt it.

Trump has been and continues to be a poor president and I do not see that changing in his remaining months. And he will eave a lasting legacy or harm to our nation, his COVID non-action, non-leadership, non-response will carry on after he is gone sadly.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

casinterest

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm

I find it interesting that Sturgis is still occurring. There is a mentality break in what has and will happen. With the current spread of Covid, I highly expect many exposures to Covid in Sturgis, and it's amplified spread through those communities that these bikers return to.

Many of these folks also have kids and grandkids that will be returning to school sick in the coming weeks as districts reopen.
Where ever you go, there you are.

stl07

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:42 pm

slider wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Not until Nov 5 anyhow!

Even if Biden becomes president, nothing will change. Trump has now made it patriotic not to wear a mask nor social distance, so none of these loonies will listen if Biden tries to stop it.

stl07

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:44 pm

continental004 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
continental004 wrote:

The strong will survive.

Or you could just not go to Sturgis and not worry about who's immune system is stronger

Tugger

Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:15 pm

stl07 wrote:
continental004 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

The strong will survive.

Or you could just not go to Sturgis and not worry about who's immune system is stronger

What I find funny is that throughout history and evolution, it has been proven that the strong survive but that the INTELLIGENT are in fact superior to "the strong" for surviving.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

stratosphere

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
I find it interesting that Sturgis is still occurring. There is a mentality break in what has and will happen. With the current spread of Covid, I highly expect many exposures to Covid in Sturgis, and it's amplified spread through those communities that these bikers return to.

Many of these folks also have kids and grandkids that will be returning to school sick in the coming weeks as districts reopen.

Funny thing is the ones who are living life and not letting this get to them will probably never get the virus its just that way it seems. I have a friend who went to Aruba he is a cancer survivor has no fears and lives life. My former neighbors husband I assume had the same attitude is late 50's overweight diabetic went to SC for the championship corn hole tournament came back to Mississippi came down with Covid was deathly sick had to go by ambulance to the hospital spent a week there but amazingly he recovered without going on a ventilator they gave him antibodies. He is probably a believer now in masks. I am high risk I am not taking a chance. That's not to say this hasn't been hyped by both parties. The democrats end of the world and the republicans it's a hoax. The numbers have been all over the map. We know hospitals have been paid more to call a death a Covid death guy gets shot but had tested positive for Covid boom another Covid death even tho the gunshot wound really killed him see how that works? I am not willing to take a chance I play it as safe as it can get. I have to say it does irritate me that more people don't take this serious we are far from having a handle on this that's for sure.

FGITD

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:15 pm

Tugger wrote:
stl07 wrote:
continental004 wrote:

The strong will survive.

What I find funny is that throughout history and evolution, it has been proven that the strong survive but that the INTELLIGENT are in fact superior to "the strong" for surviving.

Tugg

It's the intelligent and the adaptable who survive.

Someday when people study this event, they'll analyze how different countries handled it and responded, and study the spread/cases and deaths. When they do, it's highly unlikely that the best course of action will have been to pretend it wasn't real.

I think this virus has also really shattered the American illusion. Instead of looking like a world leader and country to be admired the country looks like a bunch of whiny children with a government that is scrambling to figure out how to best make money off the virus.

casinterest

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 pm

stratosphere wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Funny thing is the ones who are living life and not letting this get to them will probably never get the virus its just that way it seems. I have a friend who went to Aruba he is a cancer survivor has no fears and lives life. My former neighbors husband I assume had the same attitude is late 50's overweight diabetic went to SC for the championship corn hole tournament came back to Mississippi came down with Covid was deathly sick had to go by ambulance to the hospital spent a week there but amazingly he recovered without going on a ventilator they gave him antibodies. He is probably a believer now in masks. I am high risk I am not taking a chance. That's not to say this hasn't been hyped by both parties. The democrats end of the world and the republicans it's a hoax. The numbers have been all over the map. We know hospitals have been paid more to call a death a Covid death guy gets shot but had tested positive for Covid boom another Covid death even tho the gunshot wound really killed him see how that works? I am not willing to take a chance I play it as safe as it can get. I have to say it does irritate me that more people don't take this serious we are far from having a handle on this that's for sure.

People aren't being marked as Covid Deaths for shooting deaths. If they are, then the doctors can be sued for malpractice.

As for keeping safe, I have been trying to be as safe as possible. However I have less fear than a lot of folks of getting sick. I have no underlying ailments. I try to risk reduce out of respect for others. I wear a mask, and i generally don't go on as I did prior to Covid. My underlying assumption is that a vaccine is coming, and it would be better to save those that would die from something that can be fixed by a vaccine.

I know doctors and nurses that worked in NYC, and what they saw during March and April was no Hoax. It was horrifyingly real. Mass gatherings spread this disease quickly. Especially if people are in a bar or a nightclub. I remember my 20's. and those places required finding a bigger person to start pushing through the crowd to get anywhere since people were so close.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:41 pm

There’s a big money incentive to code deaths as “COVID”; especially deaths in ICU. Hospitals need the money, too. Not saying shooting deaths, but it hard to escape the incentives and who is gonna sue? The docs? They get paid. The victims family? Why to change the cause of death and be stuck with a big bill? The administrators? They’re money making heroes. If you don’t think the rules will be twisted for money, you’re naive.

johns624

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:45 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Just like any other large, disorganized group, you can't paint them with a broad brush.

You mean like saying 95% of them are wannabe fakers?
Firsthand experience. I rode a Harley for many years, hung out in clubhouses and went to rallies. I was known as middle class--that meant I had one foot in the outlaw world, one in regular society and didn't really fit in with either.

alfa164

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:51 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There’s a big money incentive to code deaths as “COVID”; especially deaths in ICU. Hospitals need the money, too. Not saying shooting deaths, but it hard to escape the incentives and who is gonna sue? The docs? They get paid. The victims family? Why to change the cause of death and be stuck with a big bill? The administrators? They’re money making heroes. If you don’t think the rules will be twisted for money, you’re naive.

Do you have any credible evidence to prove this?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

exFWAOONW

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:10 pm

alfa164 wrote:
cpd wrote:
They could have hit them all with tear gas and used a very heavy handed response. None of this hitting them with the proverbial wet lettuce leaf..

Yep... what happened to Trump's masked, camouflaged mercenaries? Why weren't they in Sturgis to enforce "safety"? Surely he wouldn't be selective about where he wants to see security - both personal and public - enforced... would he?

continental004 wrote:

Trump only sent in DHS agents AFTER the mayor and govenors both refused to protect federal property (courthouses). I'm glad he did. I don't want my taxes going up to replace buildings damaged by ignorant irresponsible rioters. You are no longer a peaceful protester when you damage someone else's property and set fires.

You also presume to dictate what opinion he can have about the Sturgis rally. You would feel right at home in Nazi Germany.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

johns624

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:21 pm

I think that it's funny that Trump sends a message by not wearing a mask, but yet everyone has to be tested before they get anywhere near him. The message he's sending is "I'm special and insulated".

Tugger

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:53 pm

FGITD wrote:
I think this virus has also really shattered the American illusion. Instead of looking like a world leader and country to be admired the country looks like a bunch of whiny children with a government that is scrambling to figure out how to best make money off the virus.

I think virus is just adding highlight to the real problem and before it Trump added his own highlight to the global audience, this problem has been around for a while now: We are not the United States, we are divided. We are divided as a nation and no one seems to have any interest in working to publicly change that. No one wants to work together, no one wants to compromise and cooperate to get things done and address big problems.

All people want to do is point fingers, "score points" with their base, and blame anyone and everyone else but themselves.

The Divided States of America. No leadership there.

Tugg

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:12 pm

alfa164 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Do you have any credible evidence to prove this?

Here’s one research, showing partly false.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN22I2KR

OTOH, there’s is an additional payment under the CARES Act for hospitals treating COVID patients. What would you do IF you could get an additional payment?

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Here’s an update on the toys those knuckle draggin’, uneducated rednecks brought to Sturgis and the planes they flew in on.

https://youtu.be/T_4L0kV9JsQ

casinterest

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Here’s an update on the toys those knuckle draggin’, uneducated rednecks brought to Sturgis and the planes they flew in on.

https://youtu.be/T_4L0kV9JsQ

You have never been to many sporting events or gatherings including Nascar have you? There are always rich folks looking to make a buck on the side, or a business deal.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:39 pm

I have, Kentucky Derby in a private jet several times, as many other events. Fly a bizjet, you get to do it a lot. Almost went to Sturgis (oops Ellsworth AFB during Sturgis) in a C-5.

casinterest

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:01 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/us/sturg ... index.html

Linked cases continue to rise
"Coronavirus cases linked to the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota last week have now reached across state lines to Nebraska, public health officials said.

At least seven Covid-19 cases in Nebraska's Panhandle region have been tied to the rally, Kim Engel, director of the Panhandle Public Health District, confirmed in an email to CNN."

Luckily not too bad yet, but shows that th virus was spread.

af773atmsp

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:31 pm

15 cases in Minnesota linked to the Sturgis Rally.

https://www.startribune.com/sturgis-lin ... 572185412/
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

speedking

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:44 pm

Some Bidenvoters also trying to join the fun. What was in their mind? Didn't they know it is dangerous because of the virus?

https://streamable.com/osfmrs