Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Setting up a new blog: advice

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Hello folks,

I'm trying to set up a new personal blog and frankly, it's a very cumbersome and frustrating process. I probably should have asked this at the outset, but here goes now. I may need to change provider. The current company I'm working with is awkward and the whole process of setting the blog up is just lengthy.

Has anyone had experience of setting up an online blog with a company that creates and hosts these and if so, what are your experiences and recommendations?

The company I'm dealing with now - while not bad as such, doesn't provide much online help and I kind of feel like Groucho and Chico Marx in "A Day At The Races" when Chico tells Groucho he needs to buy all kinds of different manuals and guides just to get started!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMC3QwMtQk0

BawliBooch

Re: Setting up a new blog: advice

Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:42 am

Whats your budget?

My suggestion - get a Shared Hosting account through someone like GoDaddy. That way you can host multiple blogs in the future if you so desire. Not a big difference in cost but huge jump in flexibility.

You will also need to buy domain(s) for each of your blogs. I prefer doing it all on one provider for simplicity.

As for content, Wordpress based blogs are probably your best option. Lots of fancy themes available for free and absolutely sooper themes available for purchase. Very easy to use!

All the best!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

maverick4002

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm doing a personal blog right now too! I used Host Gator for the domain name , that cost about $120 for 12 months and now I am searching for a wordpress theme to apply to the site. I should have that picked today. The one I found costs $40 for life. Whats your blog about? Mine is supposed to be a ~travel blog.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Mine is focused on politics, though not day to day politics; it's called "Positively Political" and I want to focus on how politics will be in 10-15 year' time and how we make it better, more inclusive and less divisive.

I used an organisation called Wix and it's not too bad, but as the Marx Bros extract above shows, it just seems like you have to shell out for various different things. Maybe I should have done my homework a bit better before I started!