Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nwadeicer
Topic Author

Losing a four legged member of the family

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Had the unfortunate task of sending off one of our belived dogs this morning. You were a great girl, we rescued you from a puppy mill. We were told how horrible you were treated your first two years and that we shouldn’t expect you to be sociable. How wrong you proved everyone, just not going to be the same “daddy nap” without you. My body aches with so much pain in losing you. My heart is crushed knowing you’ll never be there waiting for me when I get home. I hope the 12 years we had together were as good for you as they were for us. I hope and pray we are united again someday. I take comfort in the fact that you are not in any pain anymore. I miss you more than you could ever imagine, see you again Mimi.
I miss the Red Tail

FGITD

Re: Losing a four legged member of the family

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 pm

My condolences.

Many may not understand or underestimate the loss of a pet. But I'll always maintain that losing a pet is losing a family member.

Just rest assured that you gave her the best life you could, and that at least in my opinion, you'll meet again

vikkyvik

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 pm

So sorry for your loss.

We had to do the same a couple weeks ago. Marshmallow was almost 16 years old, and she had been suffering from kidney disease for a year, plus being almost completely deaf, and likely having some dementia as well.

She was my wife's dog, 3 years before we even met. So it was extremely difficult, even if it was the right thing to do.

FGITD wrote:
But I'll always maintain that losing a pet is losing a family member.

Losing the most loyal, lovable, unconditionally loving family member one could ever imagine. We've had to put down 3 dogs in the last few years (and had one other die suddenly), and it was heartbreaking each time.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Tugger

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:15 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
Had the unfortunate task of sending off one of our belived dogs this morning. You were a great girl, we rescued you from a puppy mill. We were told how horrible you were treated your first two years and that we shouldn’t expect you to be sociable. How wrong you proved everyone, just not going to be the same “daddy nap” without you. My body aches with so much pain in losing you. My heart is crushed knowing you’ll never be there waiting for me when I get home. I hope the 12 years we had together were as good for you as they were for us. I hope and pray we are united again someday. I take comfort in the fact that you are not in any pain anymore. I miss you more than you could ever imagine, see you again Mimi.

Heartfelt condolences on the loss. A best friend, a family member, someone who always knew the right thing to say when you needed it.

And to answer your question: Yes the 12 years she had with you were the best she could have ever had, that is all there is to it. You gave her the love and home and companionship that she wanted and needed.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

NIKV69

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Sorry for your loss. #dogsrule
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

casinterest

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Sorry for the loss. Losing a dog hurts the heart. Especially when it is the only one. I missed my walks and having that gentle companion in the past.

Take the time to grieve.

We got a puppy a few years ago, and I can't imagine how hard it will be to lose her down the road as she has become my walking buddy again.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Okie

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:49 pm

I understand your loss. Amazing the connection between man and pet.
I have a 17 year old cat, she is now deaf and appears to have hip problems and arthritis so bad she can not groom herself anymore.

I am feaful of the day that I have to make that decision is close at hand.

Okie

aeromoe

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:14 pm

I feel for you...sincere condolences for your loss. Sunday morning December 25, 2011 I had to take my beloved Boston Terrier on what would be her last visit to a vet...an emergency vet. Tough day on her...tough day on me. She was 13 1/2 and I dare say lived a good life. I haven't replaced her.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

nwadeicer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Thank you all for the heartfelt replies, it is really appreciated. My writing this was a release of emotions. I know some people have the “grow a pair” it’s just a dog attitude. Those people have never felt the absolute unconditional love of a pet. There’s nothing like it. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
I miss the Red Tail

TWA772LR

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:15 am

Okie wrote:
I understand your loss. Amazing the connection between man and pet.
I have a 17 year old cat, she is now deaf and appears to have hip problems and arthritis so bad she can not groom herself anymore.

I am feaful of the day that I have to make that decision is close at hand.

Okie

My cat was in a similar condition. He also couldn't hold his bowels anymore so we made the decision to put him to sleep. 16 years of our Salem gone in an instant. The vet said we made the right decision.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

M564038

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:24 am

My condolences.

Four-legged Pets, of several varieties, really do become real family members.
We have a 19 year old cat that my wofe rescued from a plastic bag whn he was less than the size of a hand. He has contributed in raising our 3 children, and been a source of warmth, comfort, fun and an expanded sense of comunity for all these years.

His health s just starting to detoriorate, and we are going to lose him soon. We are already sad.

I feel your pain.

Kent350787

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 am

Sorry for your loss - I've spent a lovely day both out and about and lying on the coucjh with our familie's four legged friend. With an element of melancholy, as close friends had to say goodbye to their 14yo friend recently.

Take care and keep your fond memories.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

An767

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:29 am

I had to put my best mate to sleep when he was 16, The hardest thing I have ever done, but it was his time. That was 4 years ago, I still miss him.
Any body who says it is just a dog, really do not understand the bond and love they give you.
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away