Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jakubz
Topic Author

Updated: Body of missing United executive found over a year after disappearance

Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

FTMCPIUS

Re: United Airlines SVP of Sales Jake Cefolia Missing for approximately a week, search ongoing.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:01 pm

jakubz wrote:

There have been numerous reports over the years of cougars being spotted in that forest preserve.

KFTG

Re: United Airlines SVP of Sales Jake Cefolia Missing for approximately a week, search ongoing.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Was his position recently eliminated as part of the 30% management purge? Suicides are up amid the pandemic’s economic fallout. Hoping for the best but if he is still missing at this point...

LHUSA

Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:43 am

KFTG wrote:
Was his position recently eliminated as part of the 30% management purge? Suicides are up amid the pandemic’s economic fallout. Hoping for the best but if he is still missing at this point...

No, his job was secure. Jake is/was highly respected in the industry, a true leader. Very very sad events

UALifer

Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:44 pm

2 months later, looks like he’s been taken off the United org chart.

lightsaber

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Here is the latest I found:
https://onemileatatime.com/united-airli ... August%208.

Ex wife, Ex girlfriend he saw and apparently was drinking with, and then one more woman.
Home on the market
Under investigation (really sketchy for details) by the police.
Last known location (other than missing car found location) was he needed to fill his Range rover at a gas station...

Well, he is off the UA org chart. Sad.

LIghtsaber

jayunited

Re: United Airlines SVP of Sales Jake Cefolia Missing since August, search ongoing.

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:07 am

Notice he was under investigation by the police before he went missing.

There are a lot of rumors as to what that investigation could be about. I guess we will just have to wait until the police decided to release those details.

I'm glad United has parted ways with him, because whatever he is under investigation for by the police there is no need in dragging United Airlines into it.

Personally I don't think he was the victim of a crime. I think he is alive and on the run because he left every electronic devise that police could have used to track him at home and his credit cards haven't been used. What they haven't said was if he emptied out his bank accounts before he disappeared. Once he abandoned his car at the forest preserve he disappeared without a single electronic trace since it just looks like this was a planned escape.

catiii

Re: United Airlines SVP of Sales Jake Cefolia Missing since August, search ongoing.

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:10 pm

jayunited wrote:
I'm glad United has parted ways with him, because whatever he is under investigation for by the police there is no need in dragging United Airlines into it.

So then he was already proven guilty?

xms3200

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:02 pm

I agree, he was not the victim of a crime, in fact, he had "fantasized" to his now ex-wife about "living off the grid". He finally made that fantasy become a reality with the the way he staged everything before his disappearance. I am sure he is being taken care of by his "international contacts" being that he was VP of worldwide sales.

Revelation

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:04 pm

xms3200 wrote:
I agree, he was not the victim of a crime, in fact, he had "fantasized" to his now ex-wife about "living off the grid". He finally made that fantasy become a reality with the the way he staged everything before his disappearance. I am sure he is being taken care of by his "international contacts" being that he was VP of worldwide sales.

Sure, you say?

atcsundevil

Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 am

This thread is going off topic, and given that the person being discussed is no longer employed by United in any case, the thread is being moved to Non Av.

✈️ atcsundevil

COSPN

Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:30 am

I heard the Aussies will give you a new identity and passport for 1 million USD the former owner of computerland “disappeared “ many years ago.. owing the US IRS lots of money

flyguy89

Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:37 am

Who is John Galt?

Sorry, couldn't resist. In all seriousness, I hope the guy is OK.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:06 am

Two plus months. Either made his get away or if deceased could likely never be found. Bank accounts, retirement funds etc. most likely will indicate which.

ltbewr

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:26 am

I bet internal security at UA has some idea what happened, or at least they should. It could be the kinda of stuff that makes the company look bad and keep quiet to the public like they tries with the EWR hanger deal bribe of the PANYNJ Chairman with specially scheduled flights from EWR to his 2nd home in South Carolina leading to a number of UA executive to be fired. Based on the current info, it appears to be a more personal, non-UA issue, more like a suicide situation.

Antarius

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:41 am

catiii wrote:
jayunited wrote:

So then he was already proven guilty?

No kidding. I love how no information means guilty.

UA removing him from the org chart is very likely procedural. The department needs someone in charge and after 2 months without someone, they likely will find a replacement or restructure. That's it.

SuseJ772

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:15 am

atcsundevil wrote:
This thread is going off topic, and given that the person being discussed is no longer employed by United in any case, the thread is being moved to Non Av.

✈️ atcsundevil

You are one of my favorites on here and I respect you very much. But that is like saying the planes in 911 we’re no longer in the United fleet so we should have moved it to non-AV. This is actually quite an interesting aviation topic (especially if it comes back to have anything tied to his job), and really shouldn’t have been moved / buried.

Aaron747

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:01 am

xms3200 wrote:

You are 'sure' of this how? Care to tell us what kind of evidence you have?

apodino

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:49 am

Has there been any update on this case? This is one I have been very curious on.

catiii

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:58 am

ltbewr wrote:
I bet internal security at UA has some idea what happened, or at least they should. It could be the kinda of stuff that makes the company look bad and keep quiet to the public like they tries with the EWR hanger deal bribe of the PANYNJ Chairman with specially scheduled flights from EWR to his 2nd home in South Carolina leading to a number of UA executive to be fired. Based on the current info, it appears to be a more personal, non-UA issue, more like a suicide situation.

First off, it’s “hangar.”

Second, no one at UA tried to keep anything quiet about the PANYNJ Chairman. You’re implying,falsely, that there was a coverup of some kind. It did not happen.

bennett123

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:03 am

He was fired because he was under investigation.

What happened to being innocent until proved guilty?.

cedarjet

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

bennett123 wrote:
He was fired because he was under investigation.

What happened to being innocent until proved guilty?.

That’s when it comes to law enforcement. United can do whatever they want.

bennett123

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:41 am

I thought that employees had some rights.

RyanairGuru

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:49 am

bennett123 wrote:
I thought that employees had some rights.

He hasn't shown up for work in over two months, without medical reason etc. That's enough grounds to be stood down from his position.

Being under police investigating is just the icing.

atcsundevil

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:11 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
You are one of my favorites on here and I respect you very much. But that is like saying the planes in 911 we’re no longer in the United fleet so we should have moved it to non-AV. This is actually quite an interesting aviation topic (especially if it comes back to have anything tied to his job), and really shouldn’t have been moved / buried.

I don't really think that's a valid or appropriate comparison. This is effectively a missing person's case. Moving the topic isn't burying it, particularly when the discussion had fewer than a dozen posts between August 15 and October 11. Regardless of the circumstances, Mr. Cefolia's role has been assumed by a replacement at United, which means that it's more closely relevant to Non Av than Civ Av. Aside from that, the posting of potentially conspiratorial information (which would generally otherwise be removed in Civ Av) can be discussed more freely in this forum.

✈️ atcsundevil

Pellegrine

Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:57 am

Some of you have very vivid imaginations. Police rarely reveal targets of investigations before charges/arrest...so how would someone at United know? It's probably an elaborate suicide plot. Some people just don't want to be found...then some do. It happened where I used to work in a highly-secure IT SCIF, someone brought a rifle in before a long weekend, sat on a couch, blew their head off. We came back Tuesday to the worst smell you can imagine. Wife and kids looking for him all weekend. There were all kind of unmarked cars because it was so high-security. A mess.

ScottB

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Just to bring in the latest update on this sad story:

https://nypost.com/2021/10/24/body-of-u ... lia-found/

Sadly Mr. Cefolia's remains were found in the forest preserve where his car had been left, and it appears to be self-inflicted.

SQ22

Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Thread bump approved by moderators.

Boeing757100

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 am

ScottB wrote:

Sadly Mr. Cefolia's remains were found in the forest preserve where his car had been left, and it appears to be self-inflicted.

How sad... :( So, any ideas of a motive, if it was self inflicted? I heard he got fired, but I don't know if it could warrant suicide??

May he rest in peace

RyanairGuru

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:54 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

How sad... :( So, any ideas of a motive, if it was self inflicted? I heard he got fired, but I don't know if it could warrant suicide??

May he rest in peace

He wasn’t fired before his disappearance, his employment was terminated after not turning up at work for three months.

Aaron747

Re: Updated: Body of missing United executive found over a year after disappearance

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:24 am

It always seemed likely to turn out this way. How sad for his family :(