Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City Still Taking Place This Year

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:44 am

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City is still taking place this year, though many changes are being made due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For example, there will be virtual and in person components of the parade this year and details will be released early this fall. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has been taking place in New York City every year since 1927. Very interesting to see how it all plays out.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

Drafran

Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City Still Taking Place This Year

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 pm

No big deal for me. I've lived in New York since 2003 and I have been to exactly ONE of these parades, last year's west village Halloween parade. I was nearly crushed by the crowd. You get to know people so "intimately" that at one point I couldn't take a breath. I'll pass on any more. Although I do think it might be kind of cool to be a balloon wrangler, but since I don't work for Macy's nor do I know anyone who does, that's unlikely. I don't even watch them on TV anymore.

stlgph

Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City Still Taking Place This Year

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:46 pm

At this point and time, I'm surprised if anything at all happens in person and doesn't end up being a "best of" webcast.

Cuomo is now threatening to keep indoor dining shut down after the outdoor dining season ends. Lord knows he's not going to let a crowd of any size gather on 6th avenue for this.

I've been to a number of the parades in the past. If you can't go, get hammered at 7am, and then go and scream with expletives of delight at the giant Hello, Kitty balloon much to the dismay of all the people from the suburbs who felt they had to drag the entire family down there - no point in going.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Jetsgo

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Makes sense since COVID is scheduled to end late November 3rd.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

CitizenJustin

Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:48 am

Drafran wrote:
No big deal for me. I've lived in New York since 2003 and I have been to exactly ONE of these parades, last year's west village Halloween parade. I was nearly crushed by the crowd. You get to know people so "intimately" that at one point I couldn't take a breath. I'll pass on any more. Although I do think it might be kind of cool to be a balloon wrangler, but since I don't work for Macy's nor do I know anyone who does, that's unlikely. I don't even watch them on TV anymore.

See I just don’t understand why people don’t mind these horrible crowds. I’d have to take several Xanax.

N867DA

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:20 am

Drafran wrote:

Which implies all the attendees are tourists visiting New York from afar. Sounds like a great way to ensure maximum virus coverage!
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Drafran

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Drafran wrote:

See I just don’t understand why people don’t mind these horrible crowds. I’d have to take several Xanax.

My mistake might have been where I chose to view it; 14th and 6th, which is basically the end of the route. I only stayed about 20 minutes and then I left. I just kept thinking, "If someone starts shooting, we are completely f****d!" I was roughly 20 feet from the subway entrance and I know it took me five minutes to get to it. Even if I picked the wrong location I don't care enough about it to seek out another.

Drafran

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:37 pm

N867DA wrote:
Drafran wrote:

Which implies all the attendees are tourists visiting New York from afar. Sounds like a great way to ensure maximum virus coverage!

And, surprisingly, it's still planned for this year.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 pm

This year, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will be an entirely virtual event with no spectators allowed. Participants will be required to wear face masks, maintain social distancing, have capacity reduced by 75 percent, and no participants under the age of 18 will be allowed. Very different this year.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.delish ... -to-watch/

ltbewr

Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:55 pm

I just hope they plan to close all their stores on Thanksgiving Day and have a toned down 'black Friday', mostly online sales.

TTailedTiger

Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Another American icon gone. No one forced any of you to watch it. Why hate on something that brings joy to others?

Aaron747

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:27 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Another American icon gone. No one forced any of you to watch it. Why hate on something that brings joy to others?

Obviously it’s not ‘gone’ if the show’s still on.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:27 am

It’s outdoors, for God’s sake. Transmission risk OUTDOORS is pretty minimal. Don’t shout at each other, observe some distancing and all’s well. It’s like the idiots driving around at 60 mph with the top down wearing a mask. The virus isn’t chasing you down.

I stayed at the Hilton on 6th one year during the run up to the parade. 5,000 HS students from every band in the parade—took 20 minutes to go from room to lobby on the elevator. I like MYC, but leaving for VKO, HKG and SYD was welcome.