Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Riots in Kenosha, Wisconsin

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Last night, protestors set cars and buildings on fire as police responded in full force after police shot Jacob Blake. This comes as protestors call for police reform and two Kenosja police officers have been placed on administrative leave. Protestors faced off with law enforcement and some potestors tossed water bottles and set off fireworks. Very crazy events going on.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

NWAESC

Re: Riots in Kenosha, Wisconsin

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:53 pm

People are upset that someone was grabbed by the shirt and shot in the back 7 times, paralyzing him.

It's understandable.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

wingman

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:10 pm

I might suggest a title change to “white cops shoot another black man in the back, local population reacts with anger”. When you lift headlines from Fox remember how absurdly they promote white fear propaganda. Every time we say you can’t make this shit up someone in the Fox/GOP strategy bunker does.

seb146

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:21 pm

I thought all lives matter? Where are the all lives matter people protesting a man being shot in the back seven times in front of his children?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

N583JB

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Naturally, this incident follows the pattern of riot first, look for facts later. After Ferguson, Charlotte, Baltimore, Detroit, Baton Rouge, Raleigh, and many others, you'd think people would have learned by now. But, outrage is more important than accuracy.

I've seen some speculation that the gentleman who was shot was actually armed and had been brawling with the police before he was shot. Of course, that's just speculation. Is it too much to ask to wait for the facts come out before burning down the neighborhood over a shooting that may very well have been justified?

alfa164

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:31 pm

N583JB wrote:
I've seen some speculation that the gentleman who was shot was actually armed and had been brawling with the police before he was shot. Of course, that's just speculation. Is it too much to ask to wait for the facts come out before burning down the neighborhood over a shooting that may very well have been justified?

That is past being "speculation"; it is an outright lie. But attempts to spread lies via innuendos and misdirection are par for the course among some groups here.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

N583JB

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:35 pm

alfa164 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

That is past being "speculation"; it is an outright lie. But attempts to spread lies via innuendos and misdirection are par for the course among some groups here.

You have proof that the gentleman here was unarmed? You must know more than the governor, then, because that information has not been released yet.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
I thought all lives matter? Where are the all lives matter people protesting a man being shot in the back seven times in front of his children?

Nah, they only matter IF they obey instructions...because if only the guy had complied, he wouldn't have been shot (you know...because going to check on his children is CLEARLY a threat to the officers' lives). And even then, there's always something that they'll use to justify his shooting (apparently an arrest warrant had been issued back in May-June and, you know, that's enough to warrant the death penalty).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

N583JB

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:57 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Nah, they only matter IF they obey instructions...because if only the guy had complied, he wouldn't have been shot (you know...because going to check on his children is CLEARLY a threat to the officers' lives). And even then, there's always something that they'll use to justify his shooting (apparently an arrest warrant had been issued back in May-June and, you know, that's enough to warrant the death penalty).

Once again, a lot of assumptions here. The man could just have easily have been armed with a knife and going back into his car to retrieve a gun.

alfa164

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:01 pm

N583JB wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

You have proof that the gentleman here was unarmed? You must know more than the governor, then, because that information has not been released yet.

"According to the department, the officers were responding to a call about a domestic incident. A number of witnesses—there were about 60 people at the scene—told the Kenosha News that Blake had been trying to break up a “verbal altercation” between two women in the minutes before the video started. They also said that the police had tried to hit him with a taser. Blake, they said, had no weapon."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... -know.html

N583JB wrote:
Once again, a lot of assumptions here. The man could just have easily have been armed with a knife and going back into his car to retrieve a gun.

And you could have easily been armed with facts and should be going back to your computer to apologize - but you don't. All the assumptions here, it appears, are being made by you. And your continuing, malicious speculation and misinformation campaign only proves that.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

N583JB

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:07 pm

alfa164 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

"According to the department, the officers were responding to a call about a domestic incident. A number of witnesses—there were about 60 people at the scene—told the Kenosha News that Blake had been trying to break up a “verbal altercation” between two women in the minutes before the video started. They also said that the police had tried to hit him with a taser. Blake, they said, had no weapon."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... -know.html

Ahhh yes, according to "witnesses" but not according to officials. Let's not forget that according to "witnesses", Mike Brown was surrendering with his hands up when he was shot (he wasn't), another "unarmed" man was shot for "reading a book" in Charlotte (he was actually carrying an illegal weapon which he refused numerous commands to drop), an "unarmed" man was killed by police in Detroit (he actually was armed and was firing at police when he was killed), an "unarmed 16 year old was killed for eating pizza" in Raleigh (it was actually a mid 20s felon who was armed with an illegal handgun, and he survived), and so on.

In this case, the gentleman who was shot was filmed carrying an unknown object in his waistband after fighting with the police. The police were also heard screaming at him to "drop the knife", a command he ignored as he went back towards his vehicle. And the police haven't said if he was armed or not. So, you don't know that and neither do I.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:07 pm

N583JB wrote:

There's no evidence to suggest your scenario, but good on you for not giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who was not found to have anything on him at the moment (whether he had something in the car or not is irrelevant and would have already been made public, don't you think?).

N583JB

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:10 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
N583JB wrote:

There's no evidence to suggest your scenario, but good on you for not giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who was not found to have anything on him at the moment (whether he had something in the car or not is irrelevant and would have already been made public, don't you think?).

There's no evidence to suggest your scenario, either. Also, he was filmed carrying something in his waistband that is indistinguishable from cell phone video and the police, who he had just been physically fighting with, were screaming at him to "drop the knife". Seems to me he was likely armed, but that is for the investigation to determine.

Here's a pic of him holding an object as he was being ordered to "drop the knife" and refusing-

https://ibb.co/tXD6gDM

Can you tell what that is (or isn't)? Me either. So stop speculating.

LabQuest

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:27 pm

How does burning down multiple innocent businesses get justice from the police?

bennett123

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:27 pm

Actually the cops could not see the hand, let alone what was in it.

TTailedTiger

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:28 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You would do well to educate yourself.

Former cop Amber Guyger is in prison for shooting a Black male in Texas. Former cop Nouman Raja is in prison for shooting a Black male in Florida. Former cop Michael Slager is in prison in South Carolina for shooting a Black man.

These convictions are all recent and all happened in Republican controlled southern states without a single riot. Meanwhile California refused to press charges against the cop that shot an autistic man and his parents at a Costco. Minneapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, etc have all been governed by Democrats for decades. Why are you blaming Republicans for this mess?
Last edited by TTailedTiger on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LabQuest

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 pm

seb146 wrote:

They're probably scared to death of the violent mobs of people burning down people's businesses and intimidating those who don't agree with their madness.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:37 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
seb146 wrote:

+1

And let’s also note your use of “officers” plural. As in, it was 3-on-1, and they still concluded that aerating him in front of his kids was the best course of action.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Dieuwer

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:51 pm

Perhaps it is no longer just about Racism but Abuse of Power as well. It could be that many cops think that they are above the law and "nobody can touch them": They shoot whomever they like, and if they get rebuke they simply blackmail the city by going on strike/calling in sick/letting the city burn-to-the-ground. Win-win for them. Lose-lose for everyone else. And no cop can't be fired because the union won't allow it.

In short, cops think they are God.

casinterest

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:54 pm

The seven shots to the back are disturbing, but the reports and police bodycams need to be investigated. The video's only show part of what is happening. There is a lot leading into the story that is unknown.

As for the Riots. Years of frustration are being unleashed. There are criminal elements that make the protests worse, and those folks will be arrested and given a trial.

Blake, it would seem, will get his chance to tell his side of the story as well.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Newark727

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:56 pm

LabQuest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

They're probably scared to death of the violent mobs of people burning down people's businesses and intimidating those who don't agree with their madness.

The "madness" of demanding the police be held to a bare minimum of accountability when they shoot a man in the back?

TTailedTiger

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:23 pm

LabQuest wrote:

Yeah I don't get it either. There's no question that a heavier hand needs to be used on bad cops. I would very much support the federal government taking over all police misconduct investigations. They can't be trusted to investigate themselves. And if a cop is found to have willfully murdered someone then they would be eligible for the death penalty if it's the federal government prosecuting them. Otherwise the police in states like WI and MN without the death penalty will just continue to see an increase in bad behavior from cops. The south has a better record of dealing with bad cops. There's one cop currently on death row in Louisiana.

KFTG

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Trump is going to get re-elected. The left has lost is flipping mind.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:00 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
You would do well to educate yourself.
Sarcasm is clearly not conservatives' best attribute.

TTailedTiger wrote:
Former cop Amber Guyger is in prison for shooting a Black male in Texas. Former cop Nouman Raja is in prison for shooting a Black male in Florida. Former cop Michael Slager is in prison in South Carolina for shooting a Black man.

And there are still cops out there without any form of punishment, namely the ones that shot Breonna Taylor. Your point?

TTailedTiger wrote:
Why are you blaming Republicans for this mess?

Can you please elaborate more on where exactly in my statement I placed blame on Republicans or excused Democrats? Methinks the poster doth protest too much...

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:07 pm

The point is Democratic-run cities are, in truth, run by public sector unions who will not be held to account by their wholly owned governments.

Newark727

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The point is Democratic-run cities are, in truth, run by public sector unions who will not be held to account by their wholly owned governments.

Someone better go let the police unions know. They're among the most Republican-leaning of all unions - public or private.

TTailedTiger

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Newark727 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Someone better go let the police unions know. They're among the most Republican-leaning of all unions - public or private.

Ok I'll play along and say that you are right. Their campaign contributions tell a different story though. But I'll humor you. What's stopping these Democrat controlled cities and states from dismantling them?

DiamondFlyer

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
And there are still cops out there without any form of punishment, namely the ones that shot Breonna Taylor. Your point?

And there's still thousands of so called "protesters" out there who have committed crimes of looting, destruction of property and arson, that have yet to face any form of punishment. Your point?
From my cold, dead hands

LabQuest

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:09 pm

Newark727 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The "madness" of demanding the police be held to a bare minimum of accountability when they shoot a man in the back?

How is setting a car dealership on fire and burning down a bakery going to do anything to change police behavior? It damages the cause because it turns people against BLM and other rioters who are out setting fires and intimidating anyone who doesn't openly support their cause. They are behaving like fascists. I know if I owned a business in downtown Kenosha I'd be full rooftop Korean protecting my livelihood from violent rioters.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Newark727 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Then, exactly how have they managed to protect thugs in uniforms so often? There’s a difference between “Republican-leaning” and working locally for or against the mayor. If the city is heavily Democrat (but I repeat myself) the police unions will act in self-interest.

luckyone

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:30 pm

LabQuest wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

I know if I owned a business in downtown Kenosha I'd be full rooftop Korean protecting my livelihood from violent rioters.

The sad reality is the police brutality is getting lost in the backlash (which indicates how stupid some of the "protesters" are). Ultimately, if they don't figure out a better way to protest people ARE going to get shot, and it's not going to be by the cops. We've already seen a preview of it in Portland this past weekend where far right and left started throwing things and macing each other. I don't know who they're going to complain to about that, because anybody with a brain is going to laugh at them when they ask the police for help.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:20 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
And there's still thousands of so called "protesters" out there who have committed crimes of looting, destruction of property and arson, that have yet to face any form of punishment. Your point?

Irrelevant. I'm not talking about protesters. I'm addressing a statement that claims to justify police shootings on Blacks because of three examples where the shooters were tried and penalized. Try to keep up.

LabQuest

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:16 pm

I just watched a video of a shop owner getting knocked out cold by one of the "protestors" for trying to put out the fire in his store.

I'd post the video but I'd probably get banned.

KFTG

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:21 pm

LabQuest wrote:
I just watched a video of a shop owner getting knocked out cold by one of the "protestors" for trying to put out the fire in his store.

I'd post the video but I'd probably get banned.

LQ, the protester was just upset.

noviorbis77

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:24 pm

NWAESC wrote:
People are upset that someone was grabbed by the shirt and shot in the back 7 times, paralyzing him.

It's understandable.

Yeah the owners of the cars and businesses torched are fully responsible.

BN747

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:28 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

When someone places ' committed crimes of looting, destruction of property and arson' on a higher list of importance than the value human life..and spreading as much, we're screwed.

You act as if you were victim of looting, destruction of property and arson. Surely the right to protest holds value, it's exactly how the United States got started.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

TTailedTiger

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:08 am

BN747 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

When someone places ' committed crimes of looting, destruction of property and arson' on a higher list of importance than the value human life..and spreading as much, we're screwed.

You act as if you were victim of looting, destruction of property and arson. Surely the right to protest holds value, it's exactly how the United States got started.

BN747

The Constitution guarantees the right to PEACEFUL assembly.

You seem to be under the impression that arson doesn't lead to murder. And that's just wrong. When you intentionally set a building on fire then you are either guilty of attempted murder or first degree murder if people die as a result of it.

Not to mention that car lots are filled with explosive fuel. How can you justify such a thing?

N583JB

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:11 am

bennett123 wrote:
Actually the cops could not see the hand, let alone what was in it.

That's quite the assumption considering that the the cops were literally just engaged in physical contact with him prior to him attempting to get into his car.

N583JB

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:13 am

Newark727 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Who says the cops aren't being held accountable? They are under investigation, as is standard. The rioters don't want that, however. They want the cops fired and put in prison regardless of if the shooting is justified or not, which is why they riot and push fake narratives before the real facts come out.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:18 am

N583JB wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Who says the cops aren't being held accountable? They are under investigation, as is standard. The rioters don't want that, however. They want the cops fired and put in prison regardless of if the shooting is justified or not, which is why they riot and push fake narratives before the real facts come out.

You stated upthread that we don’t know all the facts and witnesses’ statements reported this far need to be repeated by officials to be true - so it’s inaccurate to label any narrative ‘fake’ until proven so by a completed investigation. For all we know the cops’ version of events is potentially ‘fake’ as well. In order to be taken seriously as objective, you need to remove all loaded wording from your comments.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

N583JB

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:32 am

Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

You stated upthread that we don’t know all the facts and witnesses’ statements reported this far need to be repeated by officials to be true - so it’s inaccurate to label any narrative ‘fake’ until proven so by a completed investigation. For all we know the cops’ version of events is potentially ‘fake’ as well. In order to be taken seriously as objective, you need to remove all loaded wording from your comments.

Forgive me if I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the current narrative as fake-you are right in that it may be or it may not be. I was simply referencing the pattern we've seen time and time again of people getting outraged and resorting to violence over narratives of police misconduct that end up being completely fabricated once all of the facts come out. I listed a number of recent examples earlier in this thread.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:36 am

N583JB wrote:
I was simply referencing the pattern we've seen time and time again of people getting outraged and resorting to violence over narratives of police misconduct that end up being completely fabricated once all of the facts come out. I listed a number of recent examples earlier in this thread.

Appreciate taking the time to clarify.

As to the pattern you refer to, in one sense yes, it is clear this kind of violence does not achieve any practical ends and invites further law-breaking once things boil over. At the same time, it’s easy for people like us to pass judgment - we are not residing in places like Kenosha, where 1/4 of good middle class jobs have vanished since the early 1990s, which statistically impacts POC most.

It’s also worth noting the Blake family has called for peace. Like many other POC victims, they display grace under levels of routine stress and anxiety most of us only ever experience temporarily.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/5631308002
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

maverick4002

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:49 am

LabQuest wrote:

If it doesnt, what would you recommend instead?

Newark727

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:58 am

maverick4002 wrote:

How about conspicuous but nonviolent displays of anger? Like, say, refusing to stand for the national anthem at sporting events?

...what do you mean, "already tried that four years ago?"

TTailedTiger

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:31 am

Newark727 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

How about conspicuous but nonviolent displays of anger? Like, say, refusing to stand for the national anthem at sporting events?

So you're saying the next logical step is harming people who had nothing to do with it?

TTailedTiger

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:32 am

maverick4002 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

How about actually peacefully protesting at the offices of the elected officials? Or just maybe, vote them out of office?

Newark727

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:32 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
So you're saying the next logical step is harming people who had nothing to do with it?

'course not. But logic doesn't enter into it. Angry people aren't logical. Spiteful people aren't logical. Opportunists might be, but they only get their chance because of the others.

LittleFokker

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:20 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

When peaceful demonstrations are ignored, less peaceful ones are a natural result. It's ugly, but it's honest.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

TTailedTiger

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:40 am

LittleFokker wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

When peaceful demonstrations are ignored, less peaceful ones are a natural result. It's ugly, but it's honest.

What is honest about demolishing small businesses owned by minorities? How is that helping?

LittleFokker

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:52 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

What is honest about demolishing small businesses owned by minorities? How is that helping?

America deserves this. Bailing out businesses instead of people. Extreme income inequality. Police are able to get away with anything they damn well please. Never ending money for war but can't spare a penny for welfare. A political party favored by the minority but holding outsized power, and they don't even try to hide their cheating anymore. This shit has been brewing for a long time and it's finally coming to head. America sucks, we deserve this.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre