Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Greece vs Turkey

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 am

Greece and Turkey are rattling their sabers again over the Turkish oil exploration of a disputed region in the Eastern Mediterranean. Both countries are members of NATO creating a potentially unprecedented conflict. EU members Germany and France have voiced their support for fellow EU member Greece. Germany is pushing for negotiations and France has deployed planes and ships to Crete. US and UAE have also voiced their support for Greece.

While it’s unlikely conflict will break out, I’m curious as to your thoughts on how exactly it would “go down” if I does. Assuming no outside support, how do these countries militaries stack up against one another? Is it likely other countries would get involved militarily? Visibly or behind the scenes? Who has a vested interest in seeing Greece or Turkey gain control of this region?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

tommy1808

Re: Greece vs Turkey

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:10 am

Jetsgo wrote:
creating a potentially unprecedented conflict.

Cyprus anyone?

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

agill

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:49 am

I'd assume Turkey has the stonger military, but can anyone of them go beyond naval or air warfare. Seems hard to project much ground forces across the water.

Aesma

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:10 am

Turkey is clearly the bad guy in this story. And I'm not talking about the EEZ claims, that's fine to have a dispute about that, diplomacy is there to negotiate it. But sending an exploratory ship, along with warships, imitating China, well, that looks bad.

Turkey also just announced a major find in the Black Sea, so I'm guessing they will climb down from these Mediterranean adventures, else they're crazy (with Erdogan, a possibility), because now the argument "we need oil & gas" is weakened by that find.

I really don't know what a military conflict would look like, I can guess the main point would be to sink ships.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

johns624

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:03 pm

agill wrote:
I'd assume Turkey has the stonger military, but can anyone of them go beyond naval or air warfare. Seems hard to project much ground forces across the water.

They do have a land border.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:13 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
creating a potentially unprecedented conflict.

Cyprus anyone?

best regards
Thomas

An old friend in ALPA used to tell the story of leaving EDDF in a -141 bound for Incirlik AB. Athens didn’t turn him over to Ankara with he thought strange, but pressed on noting Turkey was darker than usual that night. Landed at Incirlik under US controllers and had to wait out the war.

agill

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 am

johns624 wrote:
agill wrote:

They do have a land border.

...well I had a brainfart. Sorry haha

Sokes

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Raw material companies are a very disagreeable lobby group in democracy.
Moreover raw materials mess with the currency, see "Dutch disease".
The smart one should say to the other: "You may have it. "
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?