Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Cell phone Upgrade time- Help me choose a new Phone.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:19 pm

I am hoping for some input as to which phone you all would recommend/select between the iphone 11 pro max and lg v60. I go back and forth between apple and android phones and I am not tied to either.

Just curious as to what your guy's thoughts are and why you would choose one over the other.

Any feedback/insight would be great.

Regards,

aaden

tommy1808

Re: Cell phone Upgrade time- Help me choose a new Phone.

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:29 pm

aaden wrote:
I am hoping for some input as to which phone you all would recommend/select between the iphone 11 pro max and lg v60. I go back and forth between apple and android phones and I am not tied to either.

Just curious as to what your guy's thoughts are and why you would choose one over the other.

Regards,

aaden

The iPhone is made in China, the V60 is made in South Korea. I don´t even see how there is a choice, despite the simply superior Apple ecosystem and privacy protections.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

einsteinboricua

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:43 pm

If you're already involved with Apple devices (Mac, iPad, Macbook, etc.) or have an existing account from previous devices, I'd recommend the iPhone. I have the 11 Pro and it's handled pretty well. The only drawback to iPhone is the lack of camera settings. While the new cameras operate better at night, Android phones have better night settings and allow you to take clearer pictures. However, during daylight, the pictures are top notch quality.

If you're not involved and instead have other home devices that work with Google Home, then an Android phone is a better fit. You can have an IOT controlled with your Android (same with iPhone but Android serves as a better hub in that sense).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

johns624

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Is your current phone broken? If not, save your money.

aaden
Topic Author

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:46 pm

johns624 wrote:
Is your current phone broken? If not, save your money.

It's on it's last legs.... this is a forced change.

northstardc4m

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:47 pm

You need to decide iOS vs Android yourself... all you will get is a brick wall arguing with a brick wall if you ask for opinions.

If you want iOS, pick your price point and decide the model accordingly.

If you want Android... well... the new Samsung Galaxy S20 family is the current favorite, but there is an entire menu of options. The Google Pixel 5 is likely going to launch in October, and there are several other models pending if you can wait a couple months.

Personally I would wait a few months over buying something now.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

KFTG

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Go for the iPhone 11. No bloody Pro or Pro Max. The only benefit the Pro has is the telephoto lens, but I find that I seldom use it. The 11 does have the wide angle lens, which I use nearly every day. Save yourself the money and go with the regular 11.

seb146

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:51 pm

I go with Android based phones because I know how they perform and the accessories cost less than iPhone. Otherwise, six of one.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bhill

Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Whatever you get...if AT&T...read the fine print....they tried to slam phone insurance on one of my lines....
Carpe Pices

Aesma

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Both the phones you're asking about are much too expensive for my taste, and also too heavy.

I have a Samsung A50S (and just ordered an A51 for my mother who lost her phone) and the size and weight is perfect in my opinion, and the price is right too.

The only thing I miss is wireless charging, the Samsung S20 has it while being a bit cheaper and much less bulky than the ones listed so I would go with that if I had twice the money to spend. It also has DeX which is a cool feature.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cpd

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Aesma wrote:
Both the phones you're asking about are much too expensive for my taste, and also too heavy.

I have a Samsung A50S (and just ordered an A51 for my mother who lost her phone) and the size and weight is perfect in my opinion, and the price is right too.

The only thing I miss is wireless charging, the Samsung S20 has it while being a bit cheaper and much less bulky than the ones listed so I would go with that if I had twice the money to spend. It also has DeX which is a cool feature.

True. I have one of the larger iPhones (XR) and it is heavy/bulky.

Good phone however and easy to use. I’ve now used an android phone as well and found it very clunky to use in comparison.

If I went for another iPhone, I would probably go for similar to what I have now despite the size and weight. I change phones very rarely.

Maloak33

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:30 am

northstardc4m wrote:
You need to decide iOS vs Android yourself... all you will get is a brick wall arguing with a brick wall if you ask for opinions.

If you want iOS, pick your price point and decide the model accordingly.

If you want Android... well... the new Samsung Galaxy S20 family is the current favorite, but there is an entire menu of options. The Google Pixel 5 is likely going to launch in October, and there are several other models pending if you can wait a couple months.

Personally I would wait a few months over buying something now.

What this guy said. :checkmark:
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

EstherLouise

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:31 pm

I got a Motorola G7 Power a year ago. My carrier is Consumer Cellular and I get a boatload of airtime and data. I've never gone over on my allotted time and I pay $30 a month for service. Anyway... I love it and the battery life... goes five days without a charge. Recently updated to Android 10 without a hitch. Here's what sold me on the phone, eventually... I dropped it on the sidewalk during a thunderstorm and it got rained on for 25 minutes before I found it. Threw it in a bag of rice and it's worked fine ever since.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

casinterest

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:53 pm

aaden wrote:

Regards,

aaden

Wait till October, and then choose one :) They should both be cheaper, and you will get to compare them against the new models.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Revelation

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:42 pm

I went with Google Pixel 3A XL a few months ago and no complaints. Great camera, great battery life so far. Battery is not replaceable but that's pretty much the way it goes for all phones these days. Google Fi pay as you go saves a LOT of money for me since I'm not a heavy user of gigabytes.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Tugger

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Revelation wrote:
I went with Google Pixel 3A XL a few months ago and no complaints. Great camera, great battery life so far. Battery is not replaceable but that's pretty much the way it goes for all phones these days. Google Fi pay as you go saves a LOT of money for me since I'm not a heavy user of gigabytes.

I also have a Pixel and would add that if going for Android, I recommend getting one that is part of the "Android One" program. These are claan install of android without any bloatware and immediately access to updates etc. It really make for the best and easiest to use version of an android phone.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Revelation

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Tugger wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I also have a Pixel and would add that if going for Android, I recommend getting one that is part of the "Android One" program. These are claan install of android without any bloatware and immediately access to updates etc. It really make for the best and easiest to use version of an android phone.

Tugg

That program sounds appealing. I'll have to look at it next time around. The Pixel from Google Fi was pretty much clean Android, nothing I would call bloatware on it. I've been happy with the price/performance so far.

Tugger

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Revelation wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

That program sounds appealing. I'll have to look at it next time around. The Pixel from Google Fi was pretty much clean Android, nothing I would call bloatware on it. I've been happy with the price/performance so far.

Yes, the Pixel has the cleanest version of Android out there, actually one step above the "One" program ones because it is a direct from Google/Android phone. I had earlier Moto versions of clean Android install and went for the Pixel for the camera. Even though the processor ain't the top zoom-whiz-bang-wazzle chip, the phone is great. The thing is obviously optimized and that is the key, more so than chip power. Anyway, when the 5a comes out, that is probably the next one I will go for (the camera is part of the key thing I look for).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

AviatonFan20

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:59 am

I am personally more into Android Smartphones from Samsung. Until now all my smartphones were from Samsung and I think it will stay that way. According to this article about Samsung Smartphone (it is in German, but you can translate it through Google Chrome) the Samsung Smartphone with the best Camera is the Samsung Galaxy S10 Smartphone: https://www.technikhiwi.de/samsung-smartphone-test/. You can get it for a really good price, while iPhones are usually more expensive.
I think it also depends, which Smartphones you used to have. I personally do not always like to get used to new systems. And of course, which devices you use besides that. Like you Laptop or Tablet.
I can only tell you about my personal experience and can always recommend Samsung smartphones. But everyone has different taste, so you must see what suits you best.

stl07

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:42 am

Why not the iphone SE or galaxy a51, both at a much lower price point of 200-400 usd depending on if there is a sale or not with very similar stats to the flagship models
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

jetwet1

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:14 am

Tugger wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Yes, the Pixel has the cleanest version of Android out there, actually one step above the "One" program ones because it is a direct from Google/Android phone. I had earlier Moto versions of clean Android install and went for the Pixel for the camera. Even though the processor ain't the top zoom-whiz-bang-wazzle chip, the phone is great. The thing is obviously optimized and that is the key, more so than chip power. Anyway, when the 5a comes out, that is probably the next one I will go for (the camera is part of the key thing I look for).

Tugg

I have the moto g power through Fi, love the phone, the battery life is fantastic and being from Fi it's a clean version of Android. Wife is waiting for the new pixel, she got her 2XL when they came out and loves it as well.

I use an iPhone at work, not my favorite, but, as mentioned above, if you are in the eco system really just pick your price point.

Aesma

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Revelation wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Tugg

In theory I like the idea too, however I find these days that Samsung has plenty of software updates, new Android versions are available quickly enough, etc. Some years ago that wasn't the case, you had 2 updates during the life of the phone and that was it.

So the program seems more like a "Google enthusiast" thing, which I guess is in response to Apple fanboyism.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Revelation

Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Aesma wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

In theory I like the idea too, however I find these days that Samsung has plenty of software updates, new Android versions are available quickly enough, etc. Some years ago that wasn't the case, you had 2 updates during the life of the phone and that was it.

So the program seems more like a "Google enthusiast" thing, which I guess is in response to Apple fanboyism.

Right, but Samsung has nothing to do with Google Pixel or Google Fi.

My last phone was Samsung and current is Google Pixel and it's clear the software install is cleaner, no S-apps are present.

There really isn't an element of Google enthusiasm / fanboyism in my purchase. It really started with the pay as you go quite cheap data plan for me, then a phone with an above average camera at what I'd call middle of the market prices and then last but not least a clean software install.

Well, it is fanboyism to the degree that I am not in the Apple ecosystem at all these days, but really, there is a choice to be made regardless of fanboyism, either Android or Apple.

And once you are in the Andriod ecosystem you are going to be having a relationship with Google, so you might as well avoid the kind of mostly useless software tinkering you'll get from the phone vendor (i.e. Samsung) or the network carrier (e.g. VZW) and go with the clean Android load.

I will say that Verizon does overall have better coverage does than Fi does in my area, so if that matters to you and you're ok with paying VZW prices for service, you do get something for that extra money. In my case I already had cut down my travel footprint a lot pre-covid and now in the covid era I don't even leave my local town so all that extra coverage doesn't matter, and I'm saving roughly 50% from what I was paying VZW.

NIKV69

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 am

I switched to LG 5 years ago and couldn't be happier the V40 is so awesome and cheap. Big enough screen. Etc.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Cadet985

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:56 am

I got an iPhone 11 Pro Max just for the cameras. If you’re interested, I could send you a sampling of the pics I’ve gotten with it. Almost as good as my Nikon.

Marc

DFW17L

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:28 am

The iPhone SE (2020) has the A13 chipset, same as the latest iPhone flagship models, but much less expensive.