Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
NYCVIE
Topic Author
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:55 pm

To bring a more lighthearted topic than what we're used to seeing in Non-Av these days, what are you all's favorite albums? Can be of the year or of all time or even just something you have on repeat.


I'll start - admittedly I'm terrible at choosing favorites so I'll just put some that I've been listening to these days. I like multiple genres so these might be a bit scattered.

Jay Z - 4:44 (2017)
U2 - Pop (1997)
Coldplay - Viva La Vida (2008)
Coldplay - X&Y (2005)
Mary J. Blige - Share My World (1997)
Lana del Rey - Norman F**king Rockwell (2018)
Tame Impala - Currents (2015)
Twentyonepilots - Trench (2018)
Kelela - Take Me Apart (2017)

...potentially exposing my youth here :lol:
 
stlgph
Posts: 11362
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:39 pm

some albums I don't listen to unless I can listen to them from start to finish:

The Pretenders - The Pretenders
The Pretenders II - The Pretenders
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
Tango in the Night - Fleetwood Mac
Violator - Depeche Mode
Us - Peter Gabriel
Watermark - Enya
Midsummer Station - Owl City
Growing, Pains - Billie Myers
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
CaptHadley
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Beauty!
These albums MUST be listened to from start to finish. These are a normal Saturday cleaning up around the house, doing stuff day:

AC/DC--Highway to Hell
AC/DC--If You Want Blood You've Got It
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band-- Live Bullet
Kiss--Alive!
Thin Lizzy--Live and Dangerous
Motorhead-- No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Elton John--Rock of the Westies
Rush--Moving Pictures
Foghat--Live

This list could be three times the length, right off the top of my noggin these are a must.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13538
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:42 pm

Van Halen: Van Halen
Van Halen: Eruption
Metallica:Black Album
REM: Document
REM: Out of Time
Bon Jovi: New Jersey
Guns n Roses: Appetite for Destruction
Poison: Flesh and Blood
Eagles:Hotel California
Beatles: White Album
Led Zeppelin: IV
Def Leppard: Hysteria
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Charles Mingus - Ah Um
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Dinah Washington - The Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury
X - Los Angeles
The Ramones - Rocket to Russia
REM - Life's Rich Pageant
REM - Murmur
Al Green - The Essential Album Collection
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12621
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:00 pm

I don't really have favorite albums/songs anymore, but here are some that I can listen to over and over:

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic (1975)
Collective Soul - self-titled (1995)
Covet - Effloresce (2018)
Dream Theater - Awake (1994)
Dream Theater - self-titled (2013)
Goo Goo Dolls - A Boy Named Goo (1995)
Indus Creed - Evolve (2012)
Metallica - ...And Justice for All (1988)
Metallica - Death Magnetic (2008)
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)
Periphery - Juggernaut: Alpha (2015)
Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)
Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)
Rush - Vapor Trails (2002)
Sepultura - Roots (1996)
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos (2002)
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple (1994)
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
Newark727
Posts: 2419
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

K-L-O-N Los Angeles - KLON Radio! We play the songs that sound more like everyone else - than anyone else!
 
johns624
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:34 pm

Who's Next--The Who
Yes Album-- Yes
Born To Run-- Bruce Springsteen
Hotel California-- Eagles
Dark Side of the Moon-- Pink Floyd
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23734
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:41 pm

Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani
Dreamland by Black Box (vocals by Martha Wash)
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
andz
Posts: 7779
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:46 pm

I have all my CD albums on my iPod in my car, they vary from Santana and Level 42 to Mezzoforte and The Rippingtons, but if I am to pick one that I listen end to end on a long trip it is Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

No-one would have believed, in the last years of the 19th century....
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Actually - Pet Shop Boys
Introspective - Pet Shop Boys
Gas 5 - Gasolin
Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre
The Dream (Best Of Torsten Fenslau) - Torsten Fenslau
Step in the Arena - Gangstarr
49ers - 49ers
Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode

I'm too old for todays music
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1699
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:16 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
49ers - 49ers


Italian House is an underrated genre.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
Dahlgardo
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Italian House is an underrated genre.


Very true, and so is Italo Disco.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle
 
Kno
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:32 pm

I have pretty strong music ADD so float through a ton of albums and genres but here is a mix of my staple favorites and what I’m currently loving.

Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - ATLiens
Outkast - Aquemini
Sade - Diamond Life
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth
Common - Be
Van Morrison - Moondance
Rodriguez - Cold Fact (Stream the documentary searching for sugar man if you like 70s rock at all and thank me later)
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation
Erykah badu - baduizm
Talking heads - speaking in tongues
 
nwadeicer
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Beauty!
These albums MUST be listened to from start to finish. These are a normal Saturday cleaning up around the house, doing stuff day:

AC/DC--Highway to Hell
AC/DC--If You Want Blood You've Got It
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band-- Live Bullet
Kiss--Alive!
Thin Lizzy--Live and Dangerous
Motorhead-- No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Elton John--Rock of the Westies
Rush--Moving Pictures
Foghat--Live

This list could be three times the length, right off the top of my noggin these are a must.


You basically stole my playlist to a "T"

The Hu -- The Gereg
Clutch -- Earth Rocker
The Cult -- Beyond Good and Evil, Love, Sonic Temple, Electric
Fireball Ministry -- FMEP
Journey -- Time 3 box set
Sex Pistols -- Never Mind the Bollocks

As with everybody, depends on the mood, the activity etc. These are my front to back listens though
I miss the Red Tail
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 am

Some of the albums I have on repeat:

Steely Dan - Aja, Gaucho
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly, Kamakiriad
Coldplay - Viva la Vida, A Head Full of Dreams, X&Y
Simply Red - Life, Blue
Jamiroquai - Traveling Without Moving, Dynamite
Robbie Williams - Sing When You're Winning, Swing When You're Winning,
Carole King - Tapestry
John Mayer - Born and Raised
Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8215
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:47 am

There are just so many. I grew up during the classic era of Rock & Roll

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin - IV
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
The Clash - London Calling
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder
The Black Keys - El Camino
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

There's just so much more.

Some good ones up above, too.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
NYCVIE
Topic Author
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:05 am

It's really cool to see a variety of musical tastes here! Admittedly a lot of you guys' favorites are before my time but I'll give some of them a listen!

stlgph wrote:
Violator - Depeche Mode

Dahlgardo wrote:
Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode

I should have put Depeche Mode on mine as well! My favorites are probably the two albums that followed these - "Songs of Faith and Devotion" and "Ultra". Have you guys listened to their more recent stuff? There's a lot of filler throughout their 2000s catalogue but I think their last album "Spirit" was pretty good.

Kno wrote:
Outkast - ATLiens

GREAT album. There was a period earlier this year when I had this and Speakerboxx/Love Below on repeat.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Coldplay - Viva la Vida, A Head Full of Dreams, X&Y

Haha, you are probably one of the few Coldplay fans (myself included) that actually liked A Head Full of Dreams. I think it's pretty good but the live versions of the songs absolutely blow the studio recordings out of the water (there's a version of Up & Up from their Buenos Aires live album in particular that's great). Of the stuff they've done this past decade it's probably my second favorite album after Ghost Stories. Have you listened to their most recent record Everyday Life?

johns624 wrote:
Who's Next--The Who

I feel like I'd actually really like The Who. I'm definitely showing my youth here but when I was younger I loved their songs that got used for the CSI franchise theme songs. Any recommendations on where to start if I wanna dig deeper into their catalogue?
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2300
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:10 am

NYCVIE wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Coldplay - Viva la Vida, A Head Full of Dreams, X&Y

Haha, you are probably one of the few Coldplay fans (myself included) that actually liked A Head Full of Dreams. I think it's pretty good but the live versions of the songs absolutely blow the studio recordings out of the water (there's a version of Up & Up from their Buenos Aires live album in particular that's great). Of the stuff they've done this past decade it's probably my second favorite album after Ghost Stories. Have you listened to their most recent record Everyday Life?


Haven't listened to the full album yet, but I've listened to Arabesque. Sounds nice.

Same thing with A Head Full of Dreams, when it was first released I only listened to Up&Up, but I only listened to the album fully after attending their concert in Taipei. First ever concert too!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
Newark727
Posts: 2419
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:34 am

NYCVIE wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Who's Next--The Who

I feel like I'd actually really like The Who. I'm definitely showing my youth here but when I was younger I loved their songs that got used for the CSI franchise theme songs. Any recommendations on where to start if I wanna dig deeper into their catalogue?


Who's Next is maybe their most popular, you've definitely heard tracks from it before. Tommy is one of the definitive rock operas. Who Are You was their last album with drummer Keith Moon, who was a huge part of their sound; not everyone is into the post-Moon stuff.

I'm a weirdo, so I kind of dig The Who by Numbers.
 
Kno
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 am

NYCVIE wrote:
It's really cool to see a variety of musical tastes here! Admittedly a lot of you guys' favorites are before my time but I'll give some of them a listen!

stlgph wrote:
Violator - Depeche Mode

Dahlgardo wrote:
Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode

I should have put Depeche Mode on mine as well! My favorites are probably the two albums that followed these - "Songs of Faith and Devotion" and "Ultra". Have you guys listened to their more recent stuff? There's a lot of filler throughout their 2000s catalogue but I think their last album "Spirit" was pretty good.

Kno wrote:
Outkast - ATLiens

GREAT album. There was a period earlier this year when I had this and Speakerboxx/Love Below on repeat.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Coldplay - Viva la Vida, A Head Full of Dreams, X&Y

Haha, you are probably one of the few Coldplay fans (myself included) that actually liked A Head Full of Dreams. I think it's pretty good but the live versions of the songs absolutely blow the studio recordings out of the water (there's a version of Up & Up from their Buenos Aires live album in particular that's great). Of the stuff they've done this past decade it's probably my second favorite album after Ghost Stories. Have you listened to their most recent record Everyday Life?

johns624 wrote:
Who's Next--The Who

I feel like I'd actually really like The Who. I'm definitely showing my youth here but when I was younger I loved their songs that got used for the CSI franchise theme songs. Any recommendations on where to start if I wanna dig deeper into their catalogue?


You really can’t go wrong with Outkast, all their albums are excellent and they reinvented themselves on each one without sacrificing quality. Their skill level as lyricists, the production on the albums, and originality and creativity was so far ahead of their time.
 
AeroVega
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 am

10 of my favorites (in no particular order)

Oceanborn (Nightwish)
Mandylion (The Gathering)
October Rust (Type O Negative)
Ride the Lightning (Metallica)
Automatic for the People (REM)
Jar of Flies (Alice in Chains)
Operation: Mindcrime (Queensrÿche)
The Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden)
You Can't Stop Rock and Roll (Twisted Sister)
Bat out of Hell (Meatloaf)
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15024
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 am

Some excellent lists above - impressed with the tastes here.

Some of mine, also dating to my upbringing on early 90s MTV and the bargain bins at Amoeba Records:

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
The Cure - Pornography
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Nirvana - Incesticide
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Eagles - Desperado
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith & Devotion
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
U2 - Pop
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands
Social Distortion - Social Distortion
Aaliyah - Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number
Paul Simon - Graceland
Bob Seger - Stranger In Town
REM - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Erykah Badu - Baduizm
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Beck - Odelay

More recent:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Johnny Marr - Call the Comet
RHCP - The Getaway
Don Henley - Cass County
The Black Keys - Chulahoma EP
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15024
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:00 am

NYCVIE wrote:
I should have put Depeche Mode on mine as well! My favorites are probably the two albums that followed these - "Songs of Faith and Devotion" and "Ultra". Have you guys listened to their more recent stuff? There's a lot of filler throughout their 2000s catalogue but I think their last album "Spirit" was pretty good.


Have to agree - only like a few cuts from albums post-Ultra, though “Spirit” was definitely the strongest of the lot. 1986-1997 DM simply can’t be beat.

And while I agree that Outkast is supremely talented and creative, for some reason their stuff is *too* earwormy and never stays in my rotation very long.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:01 pm

My #1 all-time favorite is Quadrophenia by The Who - I was 18 when it was released and Jimmy (the subject of the story) was going through a lot of the same issues I was at the time - minus his drug usage.
The lyrics just spoke to me like Pete Townshend was expressing my thoughts,

Others on my short list (in no particular order)
Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
In Trance - Scorpions
Made in Japan - Deep Purple
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Led Zeppelin 1
Who's Next - The Who
Yessongs - Yes
 
cairns
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:23 pm

Not that I don't love rock n'roll but not one piece of classical? Anyone ever heard Beethoven's 6th?
 
T4thH
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Fjørt: Couleur
Megadeth: 1994
Lostprophets weapons (And yes, I am well aware, it is politically incorrect).
Queensrÿche: Empire and Operation Mindcrime
Apocalyptica: Cult (and others)
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 pm

cairns wrote:
Not that I don't love rock n'roll but not one piece of classical? Anyone ever heard Beethoven's 6th?


Well, if you're going to complain about it, show us the goods. Who are your favorites? You can't just say "Beethoven's 6th."

I don't claim to be a classical music maven, but here's a list of classical compositions I have come to treasure:

Beethoven's 9th - conducted by Wilhelm Furtwangler
The Goldberg Variations (Bach) - performed by Glenn Gould
Lakme (Opera) - written by Leo Delibes
Symphony Number 3 (Avant Garde) - by Henryk Gorecki
Romeo and Juliet - by Prokofiev
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:55 pm

fr8mech wrote:
There are just so many. I grew up during the classic era of Rock & Roll

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin - IV
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
The Clash - London Calling
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder
The Black Keys - El Camino
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

There's just so much more.

Some good ones up above, too.


Yours is almost identical to mine I would add Alan Parsons Project turn of a friendly card to the list....
 
cairns
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 pm

mbmbos wrote:
cairns wrote:
Not that I don't love rock n'roll but not one piece of classical? Anyone ever heard Beethoven's 6th?


Well, if you're going to complain about it, show us the goods. Who are your favorites? You can't just say "Beethoven's 6th."


Not complaining just surprised. But I'll play.

Blood on the Tracks
Traffic Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
The Moldau (Smetena)
Tchaikovsky Little Russian
Almost anything by Souad Massai
Jethro Tull Benefit
Elgars Seranade for Strings
Luz Casal La Passione
And Ludwig's 6th along with the 9th and (of course) his Moonlight Sonata

Plenty more but that's just a few.....
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 797
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Out side of best of albums or soundtracks the only album I ever listen to in whole is the very cliched, Pink Floyd "The Wall"
I do rather enjoy everything from the Halo Soundtracks, the 'Star Fox : Assault' Sound track and the soundtrack to 'Trials of the Blood Dragon' (which is mostly Power Glove if memory serves).
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:24 pm

T18 wrote:
Out side of best of albums or soundtracks the only album I ever listen to in whole is the very cliched, Pink Floyd "The Wall"
I do rather enjoy everything from the Halo Soundtracks, the 'Star Fox : Assault' Sound track and the soundtrack to 'Trials of the Blood Dragon' (which is mostly Power Glove if memory serves).


Pink Floyd is without a doubt my favorite band of all time
 
NYCVIE
Topic Author
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:03 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Haven't listened to the full album yet, but I've listened to Arabesque. Sounds nice.

Same thing with A Head Full of Dreams, when it was first released I only listened to Up&Up, but I only listened to the album fully after attending their concert in Taipei. First ever concert too!

Everyday Life is pretty good. Definitely meets the moment considering the state of the world. Arabesque is probably my favorite off the album, really the entire first half is perfect to me. And I went to the A Head Full of Dreams Tour as well! Loved it so much I went twice and really had to be talked out of going a third time when they came back to the US haha.

Newark727 wrote:
Who's Next is maybe their most popular, you've definitely heard tracks from it before. Tommy is one of the definitive rock operas. Who Are You was their last album with drummer Keith Moon, who was a huge part of their sound; not everyone is into the post-Moon stuff.

I'm a weirdo, so I kind of dig The Who by Numbers.

Thanks! I'll give Who's Next a listen!

Aaron747 wrote:
And while I agree that Outkast is supremely talented and creative, for some reason their stuff is *too* earwormy and never stays in my rotation very long.

Interesting, I can see how their 2000s stuff would fit that description but their 90s material that wasn't as poppy as some of their material that became massive hits never gets old for me.

Aaron747 wrote:
Some excellent lists above - impressed with the tastes here.
U2 - Pop

Didn't think I'd find someone else on here who's a fan of this album also! A lot of U2 fans think this is their worst and while it sounds a bit unfinished and rough in some parts it has to be my favorite U2 album probably. The 90s were definitely their peak in terms of their creativity and innovation and the ZooTV and PopMart tours still remain their best to me along with 360 just because of the sheer magnitude of that production.

stratosphere wrote:
Pink Floyd is without a doubt my favorite band of all time

Pink Floyd is another band I think I should get into. A lot of ya'll have mentioned them. Where should a first time listener start?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15024
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:12 am

cairns wrote:
Not that I don't love rock n'roll but not one piece of classical? Anyone ever heard Beethoven's 6th?


Sure, a few favorites:

Bizet - “Carmen”
Rimsky-Korsakov - “Scheherazade”
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 23
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 8
Dvořák - Symphony No. 9
Paganini - Violin Concerto No. 2
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15024
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 am

NYCVIE wrote:
Didn't think I'd find someone else on here who's a fan of this album also! A lot of U2 fans think this is their worst and while it sounds a bit unfinished and rough in some parts it has to be my favorite U2 album probably. The 90s were definitely their peak in terms of their creativity and innovation and the ZooTV and PopMart tours still remain their best to me along with 360 just because of the sheer scale of production


I missed out on ZooTv due to age but intentionally skipped 360 because I didn’t want anything to top my Popmart experiences. U2 fans are odd birds - I don’t get the disdain for Pop. It’s an excellent concept album on the possibilities and frailties of the 90s and finishes in a dark and cynical place, especially the commentary on success and consumerism. The unfinished feel is a big asset too because it harkens back to their early records. Great choice!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1699
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Some excellent lists above - impressed with the tastes here.

Some of mine, also dating to my upbringing on early 90s MTV and the bargain bins at Amoeba Records:

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
The Cure - Pornography
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Nirvana - Incesticide
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Eagles - Desperado
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith & Devotion
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
U2 - Pop
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands
Social Distortion - Social Distortion
Aaliyah - Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number
Paul Simon - Graceland
Bob Seger - Stranger In Town
REM - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Erykah Badu - Baduizm
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Beck - Odelay

More recent:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Johnny Marr - Call the Comet
RHCP - The Getaway
Don Henley - Cass County
The Black Keys - Chulahoma EP


If you haven't already, check out Jake Rudh's "Transmission" show on The Current. Looking at your list, I think you'd like it.

https://www.thecurrent.org/programs/transmission

He also does a show on Twitch.

As for U2, I kinda stopped after "Pop" as well. Saw the Popmart tour in EUG, and it was amazing.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
bombayduck
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Space Ritual live - Hawkwind
Dark side of the moon - pink Floyd
Urban hymns - The Verve
Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Pulse live - Pink Floyd
Strawberry Jam - Animal Collective
Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Erpland - Ozric Tentacles
Jurassic Shift - Ozric Tentacles
Pungent Effulgent - Ozric Tentacles
Strangeitude- Ozric Tentacles
All albums by the Orb too many to list
 
Sokes
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
U2 fans are odd birds - I don’t get the disdain for Pop.

I think it's an aquired taste. I needed to hear it four, five times till I liked it. But then I found it fantastic.
However I dislike it as background music, e. g. while driving car. I have to listen to it without doing something else. Speaker quality also greatly matters. It's a bit like with classical music.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
Sokes
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Slayer "Repentless" and Britney Spears "Oops, I did it again".
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
andz
Posts: 7779
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:28 pm

stratosphere wrote:
I would add Alan Parsons Project turn of a friendly card to the list....

I have all ten Alan Parsons Project studio albums on vinyl and CD. My favourite APP track is the instrumental "Pipeline" from "Ammonia Avenue".

I was working as an instrument technician in an ammonia factory when this album was released in 1984 so there is that weird connection.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
andz
Posts: 7779
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:40 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
Pink Floyd is another band I think I should get into. A lot of ya'll have mentioned them. Where should a first time listener start?

If you want to hear the band's roots look for A Nice Pair which is a double album released in 1973 comprising two albums from the 60s.

Then there are the obvious Dark Side of the Moon, Animals and The Wall.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
Newark727
Posts: 2419
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:58 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
Pink Floyd is another band I think I should get into. A lot of ya'll have mentioned them. Where should a first time listener start?


"Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" are both front-to-back masterpieces.
 
User avatar
bombayduck
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:01 pm

andz wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:
Pink Floyd is another band I think I should get into. A lot of ya'll have mentioned them. Where should a first time listener start?

If you want to hear the band's roots look for A Nice Pair which is a double album released in 1973 comprising two albums from the 60s.

Then there are the obvious Dark Side of the Moon, Animals and The Wall.


The two albums are a saucer full of secrets and the piper at the gates of dawn. A nice pair was my first Floyd album many moons ago.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:23 pm

Atlas by Real Estate.

Not very well-known, but I love their work.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Newark727 wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:
Pink Floyd is another band I think I should get into. A lot of ya'll have mentioned them. Where should a first time listener start?


"Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" are both front-to-back masterpieces.

I'm one of the few that thinks Wish You Were Here is the better of the two - DSOTM is great, but WYWH is even better IMHO

Oh, and one more to add to my short list - Rock and Roll Animal by Lou Reed. Hid band is incredible - Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on guitar, Prakesh John on bass - fantastic stuff
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15024
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:25 am

NWAESC wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Some excellent lists above - impressed with the tastes here.

Some of mine, also dating to my upbringing on early 90s MTV and the bargain bins at Amoeba Records:

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
The Cure - Pornography
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Nirvana - Incesticide
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Eagles - Desperado
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith & Devotion
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
U2 - Pop
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Darklands
Social Distortion - Social Distortion
Aaliyah - Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number
Paul Simon - Graceland
Bob Seger - Stranger In Town
REM - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Erykah Badu - Baduizm
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Beck - Odelay

More recent:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Johnny Marr - Call the Comet
RHCP - The Getaway
Don Henley - Cass County
The Black Keys - Chulahoma EP


If you haven't already, check out Jake Rudh's "Transmission" show on The Current. Looking at your list, I think you'd like it.

https://www.thecurrent.org/programs/transmission

He also does a show on Twitch.

As for U2, I kinda stopped after "Pop" as well. Saw the Popmart tour in EUG, and it was amazing.


Thanks for this! I’ll have a lengthy peruse.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
n729pa
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: What are Your Favorite Albums?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:58 pm

I havery a fairly broad trust of music however nothing too modern...!!

Favourites. ..

Eagles Hotel California (all time favourite ) and Long Road Out of Eden
Don Henley Cass Country and The End of The Innocence
Joe Walsh Analog Man
(Bit of a theme here I hear you say)
Bob Seger Stranger In Town
Fleetwood Mac Rumours
Paul Simon Graceland
Chicago 17
Led Zeppelin Remasters

But I tend to go for Greatest Hits or collections with some artists.
Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Thin Lizzy, Specials, Billy Joel, Tom Petty, Level 42, Madness, Bruce Springsteen, James Gang for starters..

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Virtual737 and 26 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos