Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Phone Call from a potential employer to reject a candidate?

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Hello all:

I was wondering how common it was to call a candidate who did not receive the position as opposed to emailing them if they were a finalist?

I am just curious as to whether or not its an expectation that you call over emailing. I have always been emailed to be told I did not get the position. Is that considered rude?

mbmbos

Re: Phone Call from a potential employer to reject a candidate?

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:52 pm

I think emails are the norm these days so I don't consider it rude. Not notifying a candidate at all is inconsiderate and I believe affects a company's good will. I do believe it is wise to call a candidate if the decision was painfully close or if you want to consider the candidate for a future opening or if there's otherwise a special need to maintain goodwill with the candidate.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

cpd

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:20 pm

aaden wrote:
Hello all:

I was wondering how common it was to call a candidate who did not receive the position as opposed to emailing them if they were a finalist?

I am just curious as to whether or not its an expectation that you call over emailing. I have always been emailed to be told I did not get the position. Is that considered rude?

A formal written letter is usually the most appropriate with details on who they can talk to for feedback. This is what we do.

If a recruitment agency is handling it, it’s up to them.

vikkyvik

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 pm

For most jobs I haven't been offered, I have not received any sort of notice - no call, no email.

It used to irk me a bit, but doesn't bother me at all anymore. Just keep on applying...
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

deltairlines

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 pm

If I interviewed in person, I've always gotten a phone call. This is for corporate-type positions.

einsteinboricua

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:28 pm

I would consider it rude to not get ANY indication that I've not been selected for interview or a position. Funny that employers want candidates to notify THEM if they have an offer elsewhere and not leave them hanging, but the opposite is never the case.

In all the interviews I've been a part of, I've always had some notification that I was not selected, which I greatly appreciate. For applications, however, there are no notices sent out. I could understand the painstaking agony of having to call each person back when it was all done manually. Today, many (if not all) the enterprises use Taleo or Workday or another form of automated talent recruiting. They have the ability to be configured such that if you're not selected, you get an email or something. It's the least a company could do.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NIKV69

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 pm

I think phone call or hard letter is more appropriate than an email for something like this.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

M564038

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:26 pm

This differs from country to country.

One of the things that truely seperates different cultures is the relation and dynamic between employer and employee.

As you don’t give any indication as to where i the world you are located, it is very hard to reply.

When I got my last position, I was told I could not tell anyone before very close to my starting date, because the guy having temporarily filled the position also applied and didn’t get it, and they didn’t want him to know the position was taken by someone else.

That was done smoothly enough that that person is now one of my best friends and is now once again filling in that position while I am having my legally obligated paternity-leave.

But I think candidate Number 3-10 waiting for a call for that position was left in the dark speculating for a long time. They were most certainly informed by email.
As was I for other (last interview round) positions I almost got.
Only the 1st prize get a call.

If you think the information is more than a few days overdue, you probably didn’t get it. (Western europe)