Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Home fitness recommendation

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 pm

I try to go to Crossfit every day after work. That being said, I feel like I am plateauing with it (and the Covid restrictions hinder some of the activities we can do). I've thought about scaling back my membership and go with a home fitness artifact (I don't think gyms will go back to normal until next year).

Peloton is the first thing that comes to mind and I've heard great things...but it's so expensive! NordicTrack and Echelon are cheaper alternatives but all the reviews I've found attempt to compare them and then just conclude by saying "pick the one you like best" rather than making an actual recommendation.

I've also considered a Bowflex to supplement weight training (though if I'm being honest, I'm more interested in improving my cardio performance rather than build muscle).

Does anyone here have any of these and can offer a recommendation? Not interested in treadmills or ellipticals. And even though rowers are an option, I'm not too eager on them (I hate rowing in the gym).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

frmrCapCadet

Re: Home fitness recommendation

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:36 am

I have 3 resistance bands, loops not handled, and up scale. Also a couple kettle bells, and sprint at my old high school track or do longer run/walks (medium intensity intervals) around town. Enjoying seeing all of the streets in my home town I had not seen before. I also added a 1+ person sauna. I am not sure I ever will go back to the gym (which I really liked). I was introduced to the bands at a fitness conference in Little Rock by the guy who sells what seems to be the best ones. One of my kids tells me that once you get warmed up our typical Seattle rain is pretty pleasant to run in.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

atcsundevil

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:38 am

I've been considering getting a Peloton as well. I'm pretty familiar with fitness equipment since I used to be involved in selecting equipment when I worked in recreation, but my experience predates Peloton. My understanding is that it's close to commercial quality, which is a big plus for me. The gap between professional equipment and home equipment is massive (for the matter, so is the gap between lousy commercial equipment and top of the line), so I hadn't really considered buying home gym equipment before now because I don't want to waste my money on junk.

I'm open to ideas myself, so I'm interested to hear what people say and if anyone has some unbiased experience with Peloton. You're right about the cost though, which has been why I've been apprehensive — Peloton runs around $2000-2500 at roughly $50-60/mo (0% APR rent to own though). That part is reasonable, but there's also a subscription fee for $39/mo. That more or less doubles the cost, so that's a lot of dough. I'm tempted to just get the bike and watch TV like I usually would at the gym!

NIKV69

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:49 am

Peleton brings a lot to the table. It is probably worth it if you use it.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

cpd

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:14 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I try to go to Crossfit every day after work. That being said, I feel like I am plateauing with it (and the Covid restrictions hinder some of the activities we can do). I've thought about scaling back my membership and go with a home fitness artifact (I don't think gyms will go back to normal until next year).

Peloton is the first thing that comes to mind and I've heard great things...but it's so expensive! NordicTrack and Echelon are cheaper alternatives but all the reviews I've found attempt to compare them and then just conclude by saying "pick the one you like best" rather than making an actual recommendation.

I've also considered a Bowflex to supplement weight training (though if I'm being honest, I'm more interested in improving my cardio performance rather than build muscle).

Does anyone here have any of these and can offer a recommendation? Not interested in treadmills or ellipticals. And even though rowers are an option, I'm not too eager on them (I hate rowing in the gym).

Try a Tacx or Kickr Smart bike instead:

https://tacx.com/product/neo-bike-smart/
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/wah ... eview.html

The sign up for Zwift: https://zwift.com/

If you want to get better cardio, that's the way. I was already fit, but since I've used Zwift when the lockdowns started happening I've improved my fitness a lot more.

These two machines work with various software like PerfPro Studio and various other platforms. You can run them in erg mode to simulate workouts or "real ride" mode and use virtual gears to simulate what you'd do when riding a real bike on real courses. You have huge worlds in Zwift, training plans available too, races if you want to try those. You can also adjust them very closely and change the saddle to match the fit of your real bike if you have one.

I use AppleTV 4K to run Zwift, that's the quickest and cheapest way to do it. And the Apple TV is connected by HDMI to a big TV. On the floor I have an industrial fan (this exact one):

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dynabreeze- ... n_p4447810

That keeps you from overheating.

This year I've done about 10,500km on a real bike (outdoors) and about 8000km on Zwift using another bike which is connected to a Tacx Neo:

Those smart bikes are a better option than using your own bike on a trainer. You don't have to worry about trimming derailleurs, replacing chains, cassettes, etc. You can also select the "virtual" gearing you have. So you could set a 50-34 and 11-28 combination if you wanted. Or a 55-42 if you are a Tony Martin equivalent.

But since I already have a Tacx NEO and a few other bikes, that does the job. What makes Zwift fun is the virtual riding experience with hundreds, even thousands online all the time from around the world. It gives you motivation.

flipdewaf

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 am

So I may be off topic completely here but I’m a runner and when lockdown first hit here in the UK we were allowed out to exercise once per day, seeing as so had a 3/4year old who got a bike for her birthday 1 week in that meant our once per day exercise was doing that. I have no equipment for exercising in this house so I turned to doing the craze of home workouts and I started ‘PE with joe’. It started as a workout regime that is only 30minutes a day and is fun for kids who were not at school, turns out I’m a big kid. We are now allowed to go exercising and the workouts have finished but I went back on YouTube and started from the begging. I’d like to run again but it seems the workout fits my life right now and my dog is not able to run with me anymore due to a heart murmur so I walk the dog to get out of the house and do my daily workout.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

We bought a Nordictrack bike a month or two ago. Debated between it and Peloton. Went with Nordictrack for a few different reasons which I can't totally remember anymore. The incline function was one, the price being slightly less was another, I think the ability to create your own rides using Google Maps was a third.

Anyway, we love it. I've been using it 4 times a week or so. Intstead of the "studio" classes, I've been doing rides with instructors in various locations in the world, which is pretty cool.

My wife wants to get a treadmill now too.....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cjg225

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 pm

Not quite the thrust of the thread, but given the current state of the world, I figure it's tangentially relevant:

I hate working out with a passion, but I'm a creature of habit, so once I start doing something I feel I need to continue it. I've been in the habit of working out for probably 10+ years now (since I started grad school). So, it was a big annoyance when COVID19 caused the closure of my apartment complex's gym.

Oddly, I feel like I'm in better shape now 6 months later than I was when the gym got closed (at least in some respects; I still haven't worked up my running to where it was). I immediately pivoted to in-apartment workouts with follow-along videos on YouTube. I'm shocked, but they actually work if you do them routinely. I workout usually 7 mornings per week, sometimes only 6. I do usually 3 days of bodyweight-cardio follow-along videos, 3 days of resistance band strength follow-along videos, and the last few months I've tended to bike a few miles on Saturdays if the weather cooperates (as it mostly has). I switched out 1 day of the resistance band workouts for 1 day of lifting in the gym when my apartment complex's gym reopened in the early July time frame.

I have a short list of cardio videos and of resistance band videos that I sort of cycle through. I also have a couple ab workout follow-along videos I mix in with two particular resistance-band videos I use that are shorter/not-as-complete as the other resistance band videos.

I started out with the flat resistance bands, but I eventually got some with handles. I don't think either style is vastly superior to the other. I thought the ones with handles would be much better when I got them, but for some exercises I feel the flat bands are better.

I will say that while I think I'm in better overall shape, I definitely have regressed with how much I can lift after having returned to the gym (over 8 weeks now, though only 1 day per week). Definitely can't squat as much (not that I could squat a lot in the first place) and definitely am still quite a bit short of where I was with chin-ups. I made the horrific mistake of trying to get back to my normal level the first day I was back in the gym, thinking that the resistance band workouts had kept me close enough to just jump back in. Ooooohhhhh boy did I pay for that. For like 3-4 days after that first day back in the gym, I was just dead. The soreness migrated to different body parts each day. One day I couldn't even fully extend my arms because my biceps were so ridiculously tight. But, better now. Not lifting as much and just maintaining tone, as I normally want to do. Work out enough to be able to rationalize to myself eating the sweets that I do. lol
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:38 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
So I may be off topic completely here but I’m a runner and when lockdown first hit here in the UK we were allowed out to exercise once per day, seeing as so had a 3/4year old who got a bike for her birthday 1 week in that meant our once per day exercise was doing that. I have no equipment for exercising in this house so I turned to doing the craze of home workouts and I started ‘PE with joe’. It started as a workout regime that is only 30minutes a day and is fun for kids who were not at school, turns out I’m a big kid. We are now allowed to go exercising and the workouts have finished but I went back on YouTube and started from the begging. I’d like to run again but it seems the workout fits my life right now and my dog is not able to run with me anymore due to a heart murmur so I walk the dog to get out of the house and do my daily workout.

When Covid led us to the shutdown, our gym went virtual. They lent out their equipment to whoever wanted/needed something (I asked for a kettlebell and an ab mat...lunges are a pain on the knee) and, with my set of adjustable dumbbells, I completed my workouts every day. However, upon return to the gym, I realized that either I didn't push myself or dumbbells are no substitution to barbells. And without a lot of other equipment (a squat rack, plates, a barbell, a bike, etc.) it was a shock to return and find out that stuff that used to be a breeze now took considerable efforts.

Running was also an issue: even though we had our runs scheduled, it was not practical for me to step out to run so I was told to "jog in place". That didn't do anything to help with cardio.

So yeah...now I'm looking to boost the areas where I lag. I suck at running (cardio) and rowing (cardio) and calorie bikes (yep...cardio). Hence why I'm looking for a bike. A Bowflex gym comes in as well in case gyms don't get the OK to open or a second wave forces them to close again.

cjg225

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:58 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
When Covid led us to the shutdown, our gym went virtual. They lent out their equipment to whoever wanted/needed something (I asked for a kettlebell and an ab mat...lunges are a pain on the knee) and, with my set of adjustable dumbbells, I completed my workouts every day. However, upon return to the gym, I realized that either I didn't push myself or dumbbells are no substitution to barbells. And without a lot of other equipment (a squat rack, plates, a barbell, a bike, etc.) it was a shock to return and find out that stuff that used to be a breeze now took considerable efforts.

Running was also an issue: even though we had our runs scheduled, it was not practical for me to step out to run so I was told to "jog in place". That didn't do anything to help with cardio.

So yeah...now I'm looking to boost the areas where I lag. I suck at running (cardio) and rowing (cardio) and calorie bikes (yep...cardio). Hence why I'm looking for a bike. A Bowflex gym comes in as well in case gyms don't get the OK to open or a second wave forces them to close again.

Yeah, definitely lost a fair bit when I returned to the gym.

I think I'm experiencing the knees thing, too. I have never had knee pain, but yesterday I did. These at-home workouts have lots of lunges and squats, so I'm moving my knees a lot every morning now. I'm sure that's going to cost me at some point. Before COVID19, 3-4 days per week was cardio on an elliptical, so next to zero impact on the knees, and now I am impacting the knees basically 7 days a week.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:14 pm

cjg225 wrote:
I think I'm experiencing the knees thing, too. I have never had knee pain, but yesterday I did.

Well, when I was a gym rat (as in going with lifting to a regular gym), I had lunges in the workouts but the trainers made it clear that the back knee does NOT have to touch the ground. Crossfit changed that completely; a rep apparently doesn't count unless the knee touches the ground. Given that I don't have too much mobility, which means the knee hits the ground hard, I compromise with the mat so that it cushions the drop (especially when doing them with barbells).

frmrCapCadet

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Res moving from bands to kettle bells to dumb bells to bars. While all of them likely use the same bigger muscles, they also use some different small muscles (and associated nerves). None of them are exact equivalents and when switching back having to lift lower weights and pain are not surprising. Generally I would give myself a couple weeks to get back to the former routines.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

seb146

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:51 pm

I am all about fitness. Fitness whole bag of tacos in my mouth!

No, but seriously, living on the coast in the Pacific Northwest is hell for fitness. The clubs here are few and far between and the equipment is in need of repair. I like walking and running but the weather is always so bad. Lately, with the fires, it is impossible. I still manage to get some walking in. I always park as far as possible from the building and take our dog for a lap or two of the "mall".

I really want to get back to what I was achieving in STS but I have almost no motivation.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

maverick4002

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 pm

Look into the Mirror