Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zeke
Topic Author

No new iPhone ?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am

With the latest Apple product launch the glaring omission is a new iPhone.

Any thoughts on what happened ?

Current US/China tensions a factor ?

Lack of air freight capacity a factor ?

What do people think ?
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

tommy1808

Re: No new iPhone ?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 am

maybe they just return to the "Oh, one last thing......" bit of their presentations.....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Okie

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm

zeke wrote:
With the latest Apple product launch the glaring omission is a new iPhone.

Any thoughts on what happened ?

Behind the curve on 5G. Then had to play catch up, after that Covid played a part in ramp up of production output.

We will have to see but I suspect certain popular models won't even make the Christmas delivery time frame.

The Cook is not a Jobs.

Okie

c933103

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Wasn't it widely reported that the iPhone manufacturing was delayed by a few weeks due to coronavirus? They could announce it another way some days or weeks later
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

casinterest

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:42 pm

The ipad took precedence this year, along with the watch. Apple actually released a game changer by detaching the watch from having it's own phone. I know a lot of parents are looking to give their kids some freedom, without giving them a full phone. The Apple watch 3 suddenly becomes a bargain for those folks.

I think the phone was delayed due to manufacturing issues, but with all the leaks, it is definitely coming. I just expect an October announcement. ( Sort of switching the Phone and Ipad presentations of years past).
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

cpd

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:50 pm

I don’t see the need to upgrade just yet. My iPhone XR works well enough. New one isn’t necessary at the moment.

c933103

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 pm

cpd wrote:
I don’t see the need to upgrade just yet. My iPhone XR works well enough. New one isn’t necessary at the moment.

It have already been 4.5 years since Apple last launched a small iPhone. It was rumored that the upcoming series will contain a new small model.
A placeholder line

casinterest

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 pm

c933103 wrote:
cpd wrote:

It have already been 4.5 years since Apple last launched a small iPhone. It was rumored that the upcoming series will contain a new small model.

You mean a 5s replacement? I think it is overrated.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 pm

casinterest wrote:

He means an iPhone SE replacement - the SE succeeded the iPhone 5s back in 2016.

The new SE Mark 2 is larger....but still could be considered somewhat small, compared to iPhone 11.

I loved my old iPhone SE...
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

OA260

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm

cpd wrote:

Indeed the XR is a very decent phone . The new iPhone will need to have clear benefits for me to switch from my current X which has served me well but in need of a upgrade .

LittleFokker

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 pm

Maybe because it's a bad look to release a new expensive toy during a time of double digit unemployment, a housing bubble that's going to burst soon, and fundamental changes to our society. Hell, if Apple doesn't release a new iPhone for another year, it wouldn't bother me.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

casinterest

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
casinterest wrote:

He means an iPhone SE replacement - the SE succeeded the iPhone 5s back in 2016.

The new SE Mark 2 is larger....but still could be considered somewhat small, compared to iPhone 11.

I loved my old iPhone SE...

The se Mark 2 as you pointed out is already available. What I think we are looking at is a smaller form factor for some folks. I like the bigger phones ,but i still am rocking a 7.

c933103

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Maybe because it's a bad look to release a new expensive toy during a time of double digit unemployment, a housing bubble that's going to burst soon, and fundamental changes to our society. Hell, if Apple doesn't release a new iPhone for another year, it wouldn't bother me.

1000 us dollar digital watch isn't anything less expensive than an iPhone. When I clicked on the Apple watch webpage the first thing I see is the offer to buy the watch with 24 term installment.
Also please bear in mind the Apple is now a global company with United States being only ine of its main market, the location for its headquarter, and origin of most of its employees. Many of those factors you mentioned that affect "our" society only really matters for American but mot rest of the world, which is still a larger market and contain more people than the United States itself
A placeholder line

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm

casinterest wrote:
The se Mark 2 as you pointed out is already available. What I think we are looking at is a smaller form factor for some folks.

I know, that's what I said. The SE Mark 2 isn't really a replacement for the old SE. But it is smaller than most new-generation phones.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NIKV69

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Okie wrote:
The Cook is not a Jobs.

Okie

Nobody is. That man was legend.

On another note one of the reasons I refuse to buy an iPhone was how quick it became obsolete. I have an iPad so having the android for a phone works much better.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
The Apple watch 3 suddenly becomes a bargain for those folks.

Honestly, a mid range Android phone is just as cheap, if not cheaper, and far more functional than an Apple Watch SE.

To be honest, the smart phone segment is stagnating, at least for the candy bar phones. Foldables are the new frontier, and the second generation foldables like the Samsung Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G, and the Motorola Razr 5G sure looks promising.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

casinterest

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Honestly, a mid range Android phone is just as cheap, if not cheaper, and far more functional than an Apple Watch SE.

To be honest, the smart phone segment is stagnating, at least for the candy bar phones. Foldables are the new frontier, and the second generation foldables like the Samsung Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G, and the Motorola Razr 5G sure looks promising.

Foldables start moving towards a slimmer margin to me. But the Apple 3 is about limiting kids functionality and penchant for losing technology rather than getting them a phone.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:19 am

casinterest wrote:
Foldables start moving towards a slimmer margin to me. But the Apple 3 is about limiting kids functionality and penchant for losing technology rather than getting them a phone.

To me, the Apple Watch 3 is still too expensive to give to a child. And Apple no longer sells the Watch Series 3 with GPS+Cellular. You'll have to cough up more for the Watch SE.

c933103

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:50 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Foldable is just a new technology released by component manufacturers. It doesn't mean it will translate into good phone with good usability. I see them more as a folding tablet that double as a phone and would have a market size of roughly the tablet's
A placeholder line

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:36 am

c933103 wrote:
Foldable is just a new technology released by component manufacturers. It doesn't mean it will translate into good phone with good usability. I see them more as a folding tablet that double as a phone and would have a market size of roughly the tablet's

I for one welcome the smaller form factor of the Samsung Z Flip & Motorola Razr. I had tried one out at a Samsung store recently and I find it to be highly usable. I would have bought it then, if it wasn't for the fact that the Z Flip 5G is going to be released in my market soon.

stl07

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:47 am

There is no point in having a new iPhone. Nothing important has changed since the 6. I can never understand why everyone goes running for the newest one every year when it is the exact same phone. Just look at the latest phone, the SE, and compare it to a 6. I ONLY upgrade my phone when it breaks
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

flipdewaf

No new iPhone ?

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Yes but middle aged dad doesn’t want to to have to learn a new operating system to fix things and be quoted numbers from a teenager in a phone shop justifying what amounts to an “off” brand to the person paying the bills.
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I don’t think foldable are the genuine new thing, it’s a thing being pushed because the tech is mature and stagnated and the phone makers want people to keep buying.

I don’t see any real innovations coming, the candles are getting brighter but we really need a light bulb moment.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtw2hyd

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:00 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
casinterest wrote:

To me, the Apple Watch 3 is still too expensive to give to a child. And Apple no longer sells the Watch Series 3 with GPS+Cellular. You'll have to cough up more for the Watch SE.

Wasn't 3 series on sale for $169 or something. Any way I wouldn't give Apple Watch to a child, too much distraction.
All posts are just opinions.

casinterest

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:06 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Wasn't 3 series on sale for $169 or something. Any way I wouldn't give Apple Watch to a child, too much distraction.

i would with the new parental controls. But it would be for middle school or higher. Not giving it to a kid under that age.

NIKV69

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:46 pm

stl07 wrote:
There is no point in having a new iPhone. Nothing important has changed since the 6. I can never understand why everyone goes running for the newest one every year when it is the exact same phone. Just look at the latest phone, the SE, and compare it to a 6. I ONLY upgrade my phone when it breaks

Jobs understood how many people have to have to new hot thing. It's incredible what people spend on those things. I buy an LG phone every two years the model that is one or two behind the current and always save a ton. We are in the minority though.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

T18

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Frankly the only thing apple could announce that would give me any spark of interest is a phone that is the same or nearly the footprint as the iPod Nano. I dislike the trend of ever growing phones and even find the 'small' phones out now to be woefully too large and exceptionally over complicated leading to a much larger price tag than it make sense for me to pay for an item I don't really want to have. At most I want a device that makes calls, sends text messages and will replace my iPod. I do not need a camera (or 3), a 'smart' assistant, a hd display, anything more than maybe wifi capacity, a 'gaming platform' or any of that other junk.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:30 pm

T18 wrote:
Frankly the only thing apple could announce that would give me any spark of interest is a phone that is the same or nearly the footprint as the iPod Nano. I dislike the trend of ever growing phones and even find the 'small' phones out now to be woefully too large and exceptionally over complicated leading to a much larger price tag than it make sense for me to pay for an item I don't really want to have. At most I want a device that makes calls, sends text messages and will replace my iPod. I do not need a camera (or 3), a 'smart' assistant, a hd display, anything more than maybe wifi capacity, a 'gaming platform' or any of that other junk.

This is why foldables, especially the clamshell models, are the new frontier. Making compact possible.

T18

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
T18 wrote:

This is why foldables, especially the clamshell models, are the new frontier. Making compact possible.

Possibly but from what I've seen so far the foldables still have a footprint at or above the size of most of the current iPhones
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

dampfnudel

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:41 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
T18 wrote:

Right, a lot of people don’t want to go bigger with their phones and if they can keep the current display sizes which their eyes have grown accustomed to while at the same time getting a smaller phone, all the better. The new smart flip phone.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:10 am

dampfnudel wrote:
Right, a lot of people don’t want to go bigger with their phones and if they can keep the current display sizes which their eyes have grown accustomed to while at the same time getting a smaller phone, all the better. The new smart flip phone.

Exactly.

Just look at the Motorola Razr 2 - you can use it without even opening it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDSaOwBHwbs

c933103

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:14 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

Exactly.

Just look at the Motorola Razr 2 - you can use it without even opening it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDSaOwBHwbs

But they have double the normal thickness and is thus even.more heavy to.hold than regular large phone.
Also, Motorola have already been acquired by and integrated into Lenovo from China.
A placeholder line

Aesma

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:39 am

c933103 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

1000 us dollar digital watch isn't anything less expensive than an iPhone. When I clicked on the Apple watch webpage the first thing I see is the offer to buy the watch with 24 term installment.
Also please bear in mind the Apple is now a global company with United States being only ine of its main market, the location for its headquarter, and origin of most of its employees. Many of those factors you mentioned that affect "our" society only really matters for American but mot rest of the world, which is still a larger market and contain more people than the United States itself

But the world isn't doing better than the US, and it's actually only in the US with its high wages that people could see the iPhone as being "one week's wage" (or one Trump check...), elsewhere it's more like one month or one year, it's a luxury item.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:42 am

c933103 wrote:
But they have double the normal thickness and is thus even.more heavy to.hold than regular large phone.
Also, Motorola have already been acquired by and integrated into Lenovo from China.

Not really. I've handled the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip before and it felt the same weight as my S10.

c933103

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Aesma wrote:
c933103 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

But the world isn't doing better than the US, and it's actually only in the US with its high wages that people could see the iPhone as being "one week's wage" (or one Trump check...), elsewhere it's more like one month or one year, it's a luxury item.

Yes, people from some part of the world might even willing to spend a year of their earning in buying a new iPhone. That just show how much they want it. We are in a world of capitalism where while everyone have different ability, role and circumstances that cause them to gain massively different amount of return for their labor, at least everyone can decide how to spend their hard-earned money on things that would satisfy themselves. Trying to deny them from such option based on superficial "caring" would be curel to them, if someone worked a year and earned a year's wage saved up anticipating the chance of using those money to buy items tjat would make themselves feel worthy of the year's hardwork but you decided to "care" about them and take the option away from them.
A placeholder line

Aesma

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:39 pm

It's not really how that works. A company would do that because sales would be expected to be poor anyway, and if it is seen as in bad taste, they could lose millions of customers in their core market(s), without gaining anything like the same amount elsewhere.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

c933103

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Aesma wrote:
It's not really how that works. A company would do that because sales would be expected to be poor anyway, and if it is seen as in bad taste, they could lose millions of customers in their core market(s), without gaining anything like the same amount elsewhere.

1. From Chinese mobile phone company report, phone sales in China have already restored to previous year level in the second quarter of the year. Those Chonese phone compabies have also reported their sales in Europe were already restoring yo a level quite close to their previous year level from my memory. While most other parts of the world are having more difficult time to restore than China, smartphone is a necessity nowadays especially in the coronavirus telecommunications-driven environment, it is hard to envision the demand suppressed a lot.
2. Are you seroiusly suggesting "millions of customers" wouldn't buy any future iPhone if Apple release a new iPhone this year, which is something every other phone companies around the world have done? Who's phone are they going to buy in the future? And are you saying they'll leave Apple if Apple release a thousand dollar phone but will have no problem for Apple to release a thousand dollar watch?
3. Why would companies be seen as bad taste if they release products for people to buy? Were any of the event you mentioned making people think money is evil or technology is evil so that it would be insensitive? Even for patients suffering from coronavirus they would also benefit from havinf a new phone to play with, even for member of different race around the world they all enjoy iPhones alike. Is there any reason why you think these people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy new technology?
A placeholder line

dtw2hyd

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm

c933103 wrote:
... Is there any reason why you think these people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy new technology?

For starters, Apple sells old tech with added hype, so world doesn't miss new technology by not buying the latest Apple device.

ChrisKen

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:30 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
c933103 wrote:
... Is there any reason why you think these people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy new technology?

For starters, Apple sells old tech with added hype, so world doesn't miss new technology by not buying the latest Apple device.

This. Only the original iPhone was anything new. All other models following have been behind the curve set by other manufacturers albeit with impressive marketing. Apple doesn't set trends with it's technology, it does however lead at marketing it.

c933103

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:44 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
c933103 wrote:

This. Only the original iPhone was anything new. All other models following have been behind the curve set by other manufacturers albeit with impressive marketing. Apple doesn't set trends with it's technology, it does however lead at marketing it.

It's my understanding that performanfe of Apple Ax chip have been constantly leading other suppliers.
A placeholder line

dtw2hyd

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:06 pm

c933103 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

It's my understanding that performanfe of Apple Ax chip have been constantly leading other suppliers.

It is the same ARM chip someone else designed, Apple's keynote speeches, front row employees clapping and bloggers/YouTube experts going bananas make is sound like it is better than others.

You can say you are missing the latest iDevice, but not the cutting edge technology available.

c933103

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

It is the same ARM chip someone else designed, Apple's keynote speeches, front row employees clapping and bloggers/YouTube experts going bananas make is sound like it is better than others.

No it's not
"ARM" is just the instruction set.
Unlike Qualcomm, Huawei, Mediatek and Unisoc which also licensed ARM's "Cortex" achitecture and use that to make their own CPU,
Samsung with their Exynos and Apple with their A__ chips are developed using their own architecture, based on the instruction set.
Claiming they're "same" is like saying AMD and Intel are the same.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14892/th ... x-review/2
Here is an analysis specifically on the CPU.
A placeholder line

flipdewaf

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:08 pm

one thing I have not noticed is iphone users justifying their purchase...

Fred

c933103

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Disclaimer: I have never brought any phone from Apple over the past decade. The only Apple electronic I have possessed over the past decade was two iPod.
I am currently using two phones, ome from Samsung and one f Nokia, with my previously used phones including products of Sony, ASUS, LG and Motorola
A placeholder line

dtw2hyd

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:09 pm

c933103 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

No it's not
Unlike Qualcomm, Huawei, Mediatek and Unisoc which also licensed ARM's "Cortex" achitecture and use that to make their own CPU,
Samsung with their Exynos and Apple with their A__ chips are developed using their own architecture, based on the instruction set.

Apple claims iOS/iPadOS/macOS/tvOS/watchOS as their operating systems, just like Ax as their chipset. They just picked up open source architectures, tweaked it and branded as their own.

Point I am trying to make, Apple can make an app work with 2 1/2 cores on a 6 core Ax, others may use 3 cores on an 8 core Exynos for similar app. 6 core Ax may be one dollar cheaper than 8 core Exynos. The savings matters to Apple's bottom line but doesn't matter to the consumer who is paying $1000 per device.

Take iPhone SE2020, it is nothing but iPhone 7 (September 2016) with the another n-1 SOC, didn't even change the camera. All paid reviewers going bananas, next best thing after slice of bread.

There is no magic or cutting edge technology, it is all cheap n-1 generation commodity stuff packaged together with much paid reviews.

I am drowning in Apple ecosystem, and there is no way out. I badly need another 4K iMac for my kid, and the conundrum, should I spend $2000 on Intel iMac now or wait for Ax iMac.

cpd

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:24 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
c933103 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

No it's not

Apple claims iOS/iPadOS/macOS/tvOS/watchOS as their operating systems, just like Ax as their chipset. They just picked up open source architectures, tweaked it and branded as their own.

Point I am trying to make, Apple can make an app work with 2 1/2 cores on a 6 core Ax, others may use 3 cores on an 8 core Exynos for similar app. 6 core Ax may be one dollar cheaper than 8 core Exynos. The savings matters to Apple's bottom line but doesn't matter to the consumer who is paying $1000 per device.

Take iPhone SE2020, it is nothing but iPhone 7 (September 2016) with the another n-1 SOC, didn't even change the camera. All paid reviewers going bananas, next best thing after slice of bread.

There is no magic or cutting edge technology, it is all cheap n-1 generation commodity stuff packaged together with much paid reviews.

I am drowning in Apple ecosystem, and there is no way out. I badly need another 4K iMac for my kid, and the conundrum, should I spend $2000 on Intel iMac now or wait for Ax iMac.

Wait a bit for the new iMacs. Although admittedly you can still build a very good Intel based iMac for reasonable money.

I’m still using a 2010 Mac Pro powered by a Xeon processor, far older. ;)

c933103

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:56 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

1. Apple's OS are based on BSD but they're sufficiently different for most purpose. And there's nothing wrong of selling a tweaked software platform and make a profir from it whoch is a business of many company from back in the time of MS-DOS to RHEL
2. Why are you insisting the claim on Apple's chipset while already being told as incorrext?
3. ARM architecture is not opensource. Even for companies like MediaTek which indeed use ARM's architecture design, they still n3ed to pay royalty for it.

More core does not equal to better nor does it mean it'd be more costly. The size of CPU part of Apple's Ax chips are larger than that of basically all other common mobile SoC in Android phones of same generatio.

That SE2020 as a mid-range device of courae is not going to feature flagship level performance, functionalities or features

Why would your kid badly need a computer with 4K display
A placeholder line

dtw2hyd

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:11 pm

c933103 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

1. Apple's OS are based on BSD but they're sufficiently different for most purpose. And there's nothing wrong of selling a tweaked software platform and make a profir from it whoch is a business of many company from back in the time of MS-DOS to RHEL
2. Why are you insisting the claim on Apple's chipset while already being told as incorrext?
3. ARM architecture is not opensource. Even for companies like MediaTek which indeed use ARM's architecture design, they still n3ed to pay royalty for it.

More core does not equal to better nor does it mean it'd be more costly. The size of CPU part of Apple's Ax chips are larger than that of basically all other common mobile SoC in Android phones of same generatio.

That SE2020 as a mid-range device of courae is not going to feature flagship level performance, functionalities or features

Why would your kid badly need a computer with 4K display

Well I don't know how knowledgeable you are with chip architectures to have an honest conversation. IMHO, open source/licensed architectures doesn't give rights to claim it as their architecture. Samsung owns rights to Digital Alpha architecture, doesn't make it Samsung Alpha for somebody with intricate knowledge. For consumers yes it is an Apple chip.

More cores doesn't mean phone need to be expensive. Apple sells 6 core iPhone for $1000 and competitor sells 12 core Android phones with big enough battery for $900.

Kids do a lot of video editing for school work, and why would I buy an IPS display now?

TTailedTiger

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:17 pm

I'll never understand why some people don't think a PC can handle video editing. I've never had any issue. If your prefer MacOS then just say so.

dtw2hyd

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:35 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I'll never understand why some people don't think a PC can handle video editing. I've never had any issue. If your prefer MacOS then just say so.

It is not by choice, school uses iPads and Apple products like iMovie, Garage Band and Keynote. Though software is available on iPad, it is a pain, having a PC means conversion, too much nuisance and more support from me.

If iPhone users haven't noticed recently Apple stealthily switched photo/video format to a proprietary high-efficiency on their devices. If you copy image/videos to Windows, you need a converter. You can change the default to a widely compatible format, but the option is hidden.

I can build high-end gaming PC for a fraction of cost of iMac.

casinterest

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:15 am

casinterest wrote:
The ipad took precedence this year, along with the watch. Apple actually released a game changer by detaching the watch from having it's own phone. I know a lot of parents are looking to give their kids some freedom, without giving them a full phone. The Apple watch 3 suddenly becomes a bargain for those folks.

I think the phone was delayed due to manufacturing issues, but with all the leaks, it is definitely coming. I just expect an October announcement. ( Sort of switching the Phone and Ipad presentations of years past).

https://www.idropnews.com/rumors/iphone ... th/143708/

Starting to look like Tuesday October 13, at 10:00 PDT.