Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

apodino
Topic Author

If you were president, what would your cabinet look like?

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:34 am

Just wanted to have a little fun here. I thought about this, and I know what I would want in my administration. This is how I would fill my administration.

State - This to me is the toughest one to fill because good foreign policy is not something you find in a lot of people. I would need someone who could talk tough with China, and keep the Middle east intact as my two top priorites. Not sure who fits this bill. I would probably go with someone along the lines of Kizhr Kahn. I think this would show respect to the Muslim world, and given China's horrific treatment of Muslims, this is just what may be needed. I would also fill the ambassadorships with career diplomats and not donors.

Treasury - This one is easy. I would go with Robert Reich. Given the way that the economy is tilted, no way am I appointing a Wall Street hack. Reich is a guy who gets how the system is screwing over the people, and he is a guy who could really change it.

Defense - Defense spending has gotten way out of control, and its clear the defense industry has outsized influence in Washington. I would put Tulsi Gabbard in as the first Woman Defense Secretary. She is a veteran, but is also a big critic of the way the military is used and funded, and I think someone like her is needed to clean up the corruption at the Pentagon.

Justice - My Attorney General would be Trey Gowdy. I know this position has become partisan, and Trey Gowdy is not exactly a non partisan figure, but I would trust him to go after some really bad people. I would also see if Elizabeth Warren can serve alongside him, so you have both parties represented at the top, and with Warren, someone who can actually prosecute Wall Street.

Homeland Security - This is another tough one for a position that would be very partisan in nature. I do think Immigration laws and such need to be enforced though. The guy I would probably name would be David Clarke, who used to serve as Milwaukee Sherriff.

Labor - Another easy one. Sara Nelson would be my pick, as someone who is very active in Labor and also very well respected by Union Members.

Commerce - This is a tough one because the nature of Commerce goes against what I have appointed at Labor. Would probably look to someone with a small business background for this position. The guy I might want is Mike Lindell, but I doubt he could get confirmed without a fight. I might go with WV Gov Jim Justice here. Again, a really tough position to fill.

Education - This will sound unorthodox, but I would look at LeVar Burton. Yes I know he is an actor, but he did Reading Rainbow for many years, and has devoted a large part of his life towards helping the education of children, especially minorities. If there is opposition on the grounds of a "Betsy DeVos" type pick, my plan B would be WI Governor Tony Evers, whose background prior to becoming Governor was education.

Transportation - I would probably ask Sully Sullenburger to serve here. He is a great advocate for Aviation, and also would provide leadership for a department that is tasked with other projects, and would be really involved in infrastructure that I would want passed.

Energy - I would look for someone who would begin to facilitate a transition from Fossil Fuels to renewables. I might actually consider Tom Steyer here.

Interior - In line with the above goal, I would look to a guy like Bernie Speechwriter David Sirota.

Health and Human Services - Another tough one, as I am looking for someone who would be around to blow up the current health care system and help implement single payer. I would probably grab one of the Justice Democrats for this post. Ayanna Pressley actually makes a lot of sense here.

HUD - I would have to figure out what I would want to do with this department first. What is my vision for Housing going forward? It is a tough one in any event. I would look to possibly another unorthodox pick, Shark Tank host Barbara Corcaran, who knows this type of stuff inside and out.

VA - Easy one here. I would put Tammy Duckworth in charge of this department, and the reasons should be obvious.

Well...thats my cabinet. What is yours?

einsteinboricua

Re: If you were president, what would your cabinet look like?

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Quite an impressive cabinet, though there are a few folks I probably wouldn't consider.

My cabinet will be a technocratic cabinet, with people being appointed based on their expertise rather than their influence, and how connected they are to the agency.

For example, the Agriculture Department should be headed by someone from the farming states, someone who can convey the concerns from farmers all over. VA, well, it needs to be a veteran and more preferred than not, a veteran that's didn't return 100% (I'd pick Jason Kander).

Here are some of the picks (in no particular order):

State: Barack Obama (assuming he's willing to serve. He's well liked that he can definitely fulfill the role)

Defense: Pete Buttigieg (certain reforms need to be taken and we need new mentality in the department; Tulsi also fits the bill here)

Treasury: Unsure...definitely wouldn't pick a Wall Street hack, but this is someone who also has to work with the Fed. Maybe Janet Yellen?

Labor: Tough one. Needs to be someone who can balance employee needs with business interests.

Education: Give me a well renowned teacher or school principal. Someone that's worked in schools for decades.

Energy: Give me a nuclear physicist or chemist.

HUD: Give me someone who overcame adversity by having lived in a project and can help the agency address its needs

HHS: Give me someone in the mold of Dr. Fauci. Someone who is a renowned expert in the health field.

VA: Jason Kander or Tammy Duckworth (lean more towards the former as I would be against appointing sitting federal lawmakers to cabinet positions)

Justice: I'd search from among the AGs in the country (current and former). Someone like Letitia James or Gov. Roy Cooper. Would have picked Kamala Harris, but again, no federal lawmakers in my Cabinet.

Interior: Give me someone from the Mountainous West. Assuming Steve Bullock is not elected to the Senate, I'd appoint him to the Interior department.

Agriculture: this may be one of the few agencies I'd have a Republican appointed, but only a reasonable Republican. Surely there must be a moderate Republican who hails from a farming state and is, themselves, a farmer.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

SL1200MK2

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:32 pm

I think, being president, I would prefer perhaps some hardwood but with excellent organizers inside said cabinet.

B777LRF

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Quick note to OP: There are quite a large number of countries in the world saddled with a President, don't assume that everyone automatically puts "US" in front of "President".
Signature. You just read one.

cjg225

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Definitely can't go Home Depot or Lowe's quality. Need something from a kitchen-specific business.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

NIKV69

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:55 pm

First person I hire is Newt and tell him to tell me to to appoint to each position then make him COS. If Trump did this he would be whole lot better off.
I am the Googlizer!!!

TTailedTiger

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 pm

Maybe a fine mahogany with platinum hinges and handles.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Most of those cabinet positions wouldn’t be filled by me as the departments would be eliminated post haste. Putting Obama at State is hilariously wrong. No one is noticing but Trump’s biggest breakthrough has been in the ME, Israeli-Arab agreements which we’re deemed impossible are a fact. The Arabs pushed the Palestinians to the curb and understand the need for an alliance with Jerusalem.

apodino
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:08 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Most of those cabinet positions wouldn’t be filled by me as the departments would be eliminated post haste. Putting Obama at State is hilariously wrong. No one is noticing but Trump’s biggest breakthrough has been in the ME, Israeli-Arab agreements which we’re deemed impossible are a fact. The Arabs pushed the Palestinians to the curb and understand the need for an alliance with Jerusalem.

There are a number of reasons I would not want Obama at state. As I said my two biggest foreign policy goals would be to hold the line on China, and to build on the progress made in the Middle East. I think putting a muslim in this position actually accomplishes both goals, since China is underreportedly anti Muslim. Obama would go the other way, because he would want to preserve his legacy.

Alias1024

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:37 pm

Obviously I'd do a much deeper dig into potential candidates if I actually had to choose, but off the top of my head these are people I think would understand the issues and be able to hit the ground running as they took over their departments. Some departments I just don't know at this point and have said so.

State - Mitt Romney strikes me as a good choice in judgment and temperament. He's well spoken, well respected, and well versed in foreign policy. I think he could bring some stability back into the department. Jon Huntsman came to mind too, and I'm sure with some more thought I could come up with a few more names.

Treasury - Not sure, but Elizabeth Warren is worth considering. She's a policy wonk at heart and I think she'd have the knowledge to step in on day one and not be out of place. I do think we need a little leftward shove in this area of public policy and since I'd be the boss I would get to prevent her from going too far ( a.k.a the full Bernie Sanders).

Defense - Several names but none feel right. I'll have to think more on this one.

Justice - Justin Amash. This one isn't as much about being able to hit the ground running on day one as it is about immense change in the department. Our criminal justice system needs a massive overhaul, top to bottom, and I think the Libertarians have been right on this for a long time. Amash is also one of the few people I trust to not weaponize the department against political rivals.

Homeland Security - No ideas.

Labor - No ideas.

Commerce - Howard Schultz. Built Starbucks from a small coffee roaster into a behemoth. Understands both the small business and mega corporation point of view and needs. I also really respect how he ran Starbucks and the initiatives they took toward employee healthcare, hiring of veterans, and education and job training for kids from impoverished backgrounds.

Education - No ideas.

Transportation - Richard Anderson. Ran a railroad and an airline, and still seems to have some energy for a new challenge. Oscar Munoz would also be a possible choice, as he also has railroad and airline experience, but he may not want the stress after stepping away from United.

Energy - No ideas.

Interior - Not sure on this one. Looking for someone from a western state since the federal government owns so much of the west, with a strong love of the outdoors. Can we resurrect Teddy Roosevelt? One non-deceased name that might be worth a look is Sen. Martin Heinrich of New Mexico. Plenty of experience and just shepherded White Sands from national monument into America's newest national park. The previously mentioned Steve Bullock is another interesting choice.

Health and Human Services - Michelle Lujan Grisham. Served in this role for the state of New Mexico so she has prior experience. As governor her response to coronavirus has been almost universally applauded, as she was early and aggressive in acting to combat the virus. The second poorest state in America has put its neighbors to shame in Coronavirus response. Twice the testing per capita compared to Texas and Arizona, and one-third the positivity rate.

HUD - Cory Booker. Has experience with the issues HUD faces, both as a lawyer and later as Mayor of Newark. Passionate about the issues and I think would lead the department well.

VA - I'll second the Tammy Duckworth pick. No nonsense, cares about veterans, knows the challenges faced by soldiers in dealing with the VA. Easy choice.

Agriculture - No ideas.

UN Ambassador - My gut says Pete Buttigieg would do well here. The way he presented himself during the campaign struck me as someone that would excel as a diplomat.
Last edited by Alias1024 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

T18

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:45 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Maybe a fine mahogany with platinum hinges and handles.

I like that although maybe bronze fixtures, also a nice full sized key lock, you gotta keep the VP out of those files.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Sokes

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 am

What are the important lobbies?
Accordingly a president has to fill the posts.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

stl07

Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:32 am

apodino wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I think putting a muslim in this position actually accomplishes both goals, since China is underreportedly anti Muslim. Obama would go the other way, because he would want to preserve his legacy.

Hmm...not a bad idea. I actually never thought about that

But then again, wouldn't that make Obama a perfect fit :stirthepot:
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.