Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

US CDC finally admit Aerosol Transmission is a main way for the Covid19 to spread

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 am

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... rne-spread
They finally admitted that "There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others and travel distances beyond six feet (for example, during choir practice, in restaurants or in fitness classes)."

Why they took so much time to confirm what we have already knew in January?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

stl07

Re: US CDC finally admit Aerosol Transmission is a main way for the Wuhan Coronavirus to spread

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:19 am

I suggest you update the title before the discussion turns into a flamebait regarding the unnecessary "Wuhan" part
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

c933103
Topic Author

Re: US CDC finally admit Aerosol Transmission is a main way for the Wuhan Coronavirus to spread

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:25 am

stl07 wrote:
I suggest you update the title before the discussion turns into a flamebait regarding the unnecessary "Wuhan" part

I am trying to be specific that this is specifically about the coronavirus currently causing pandemic, instead of regular cold-causing generic coronaviruses or other coronaviruses like the one that caused 2003 epidemic, or the other one that came from Middle East, or any other strain only in circulation among animals, because the implication would be totally different

M564038

Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 am

Thread starter doing his best to look like a child with inventing names for the virus.
It has an internationally recognized name, it is called SARS-CoV-2, grow up.

Americans should be very careful with the blame game after the 1918 Kansas-Virus!

dtw2hyd

Re: US CDC finally admit Aerosol Transmission is a main way for the Covid19 to spread

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm

I wish CDC is more proactive with their data analysis and advisories. Vehemently denying any suggestions and quietly joining the bandwagon later is not the best way to handle public health.

Are public toilets safe?
All posts are just opinions.

casinterest

Re: US CDC finally admit Aerosol Transmission is a main way for the Covid19 to spread

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:52 pm

This announcement is like announcing that unsinkable boats can sink,
Where ever you go, there you are.

Tugger

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:15 pm

So this just means that wearing a mask in public is even more critical. I am not happy about the idea of having to wear a damn mask more but for the most part I am already doing that anyway. Out in public, for a walk around the neighborhood etc. I am keeping a mask with me and putting it on when nearing others, at more than just 6 feet distance.

From the OP's article:
Jimenez and Milton said it’s important to wear masks to reduce the risk of spreading and contracting COVID-19. They said it’s crucial to make sure face coverings fit properly, so that aerosols don’t escape or enter through gaps in the mask around the nose or mouth.

“Aerosols can travel farther than six feet, but they’re more concentrated the closer you get, so standing as far away as possible reduces risk,” Milton said. “The reason that bars have been such a big problem is that people get loud when they get alcohol onboard and move close together to hear, and you can’t drink a beer or a shot with a mask on.”

So keep wearing your mask and don't do things that bring you close to others that you don't regularly contact closely (unless you prefer shutting down and damaging the economy more which I don't). In other words be smart folks.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

frmrCapCadet

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm

If you think probabilistic and statistically you knew all this months ago. The CDC never said anything different. More specifically about aviation all of the discussion of distancing (no seating in middle row), masks, filtering air systems, new air versus recirculated air, less or no beverage service, generally no food service was reducing various air particle sizes that might carry virus. Per Tugg, do all of those things that reduce your chances of contacting or spreading the virus. Or per Pareto always do at least the 20% that gives you and those around you 80% chances of staying alive and healthy.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

StarAC17

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm

c933103 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I am trying to be specific that this is specifically about the coronavirus currently causing pandemic, instead of regular cold-causing generic coronaviruses or other coronaviruses like the one that caused 2003 epidemic, or the other one that came from Middle East, or any other strain only in circulation among animals, because the implication would be totally different

Not 100% sure where you are getting at but I am sure that all the endemic coronaviruses are spread by aerosols they just cause colds. We know that SARS did and the outbreak in Kowloon, Hong Kong where it was transmitted by exhaust fans from someone's bathroom. Same with the super-spreading event at the Metropole hotel in Hong Kong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%8 ... #Hong_Kong
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

dtw2hyd

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm

Yes, CDC didn't say much, that is the problem.

From the beginning (I believe Hong Kong apartment complex transmission), there were questions about fecal-oral transmission. CDC never gave guidance.
There were questions about toilet flushing and aerosol transmission for months, now CDC saying may be.
What about any closed spaces like office rooms, classrooms, malls, now winter coming it is not possible to keep the doors and windows open.
Airlines are doing everything, that is good, but the restrooms are shared by several, how can one avoid transmission, no guidance. At least for domestic travel they should recommend not to use the restroom.

They should be at the forefront in guiding us, not doing postmortem. My expectation from CDC "We don't have enough data to confirm or deny, but just to be safe do this". That is not going shutdown economy.
All posts are just opinions.

LCDFlight

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:26 pm

c933103 wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-09-20/coronavirus-aerosol-airborne-spread
They finally admitted that "There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others and travel distances beyond six feet (for example, during choir practice, in restaurants or in fitness classes)."

Why they took so much time to confirm what we have already knew in January?

What do you mean by "admit?"

Did they previously say aerosol transmission is NOT how COVID19 is spread? Confusing.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:40 pm

CDC did emphasize large particles over aerosols. That seems to have been a simplification that was wrong. But they did emphasize avoiding indoor crowds, wearing masks especially if you must be indoors.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

einsteinboricua

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:03 pm

And I just got a news popup saying that the CDC has withdrawn that statement...this is why you need stable leadership at all levels of government rather than partisan hacks. Nothing like sowing doubt on a government agency's mission to contain, treat, and prevent diseases.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Another disgraceful cluster bomb by the Trump Administration.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Ken777

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
And I just got a news popup saying that the CDC has withdrawn that statement...this is why you need stable leadership at all levels of government rather than partisan hacks. Nothing like sowing doubt on a government agency's mission to contain, treat, and prevent diseases.

My bet is that the radicalized right spent the weekend explaining the CDC announcement to Fat Donald. After he was fully confused he was told to kill the CDC announcement or face defeat in the Nov Election.

Tiredofhumanity

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:15 pm

M564038 wrote:
Thread starter doing his best to look like a child with inventing names for the virus.
It has an internationally recognized name, it is called SARS-CoV-2, grow up.

Americans should be very careful with the blame game after the 1918 Kansas-Virus!

*Sigh*

There's plenty of blame to go around, I don't see why it's such a hard concept.

Therefore, why is an American who realizes how inadequate the US "response" was/is not allowed criticize China for their handling in the Dec-early Jan timeframe? Even Trump was saying the PRC had it under control before he started facing criticism for letting it become a national epidemic.

c933103
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:06 pm

DocLightning

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:14 am

"Droplets and particles" are "droplet" transmission. There is actually a technical difference between "droplet" and "aerosol." Outside of this context, in common use, an aerosol is a cloud of droplets.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan