Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

apodino
Topic Author

NY Times obtains Trump's Taxes

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Well...the NY times dropped a bombshell with Trump's Taxes tonight. And it shows years of losses and tax avoidance.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/27/us/donald-trump-taxes.html

This is a bombshell and yet another October surprise as well. Not good for Trump at all.

T18

Re: NY Times obtains Trump's Taxes

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Not at all shocking that he isn't making money hand over fist like he claims or that he found sketchy ways to pay nothing or next to nothing, I'm sure he will A claim the times did something illegal or fake and B claim every other Billionaire pays only $750 a year or less.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:56 pm

This makes me sick, I pay a lot of money on taxes each and every year. Our tax code is hopelessly broken.
he's only paid taxes in 5 out of 15 years. When he paid it's 750.00 dollars. They withhold more than 750 on my husband paycheck every two weeks.
The question is? why isn't he cashing his paycheck to be president. It looks like he can use his salary.
Last edited by DLFREEBIRD on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M564038

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:56 pm

This is completely damning of course. The guy is a bankrupt fraud. Absurd statements like the one above from hnlslcpdxis going to be few and far between from here on forward, and the aftermath of his failed re-election will be interesting.
Will it finally be the death of the most corrupt entity on planet earth-The Republican party?
Will it lead to USA aligning more politically with the richer, more peaceful and successfull countries. With most of the political spectrum being to the left of todays democratic party?
Exiting times ahead!

Newark727

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:00 pm

M564038 wrote:
This is completely damning of course. The guy is a bankrupt fraud. Absurd statements like the one above from hnlslcpdxis going to be few and far between from here on forward, and the aftermath of his failed re-election will be interesting.
Will it finally be the death of the most corrupt entity on planet earth-The Republican party?
Will it lead to USA aligning more politically with the richer, more peaceful and successfull countries. With most of the political spectrum being to the left of todays democratic party?
Exiting times ahead!

Well, if nothing else, I admire your optimism.

scbriml

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:01 pm

Trump exposed as a charlatan? Again? I'm shocked. :liar:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

MaverickM11

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:12 pm

scbriml wrote:
Trump exposed as a charlatan? Again? I'm shocked. :liar:

Yeah this seems like the fourth time we've gotten this type of "bombshell".

A real bombshell would be proof that he actually made money. :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:27 pm

how can he write off 70k for hairstyling? I know I can't do that.

Aaron747

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:43 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

That explains why he’s always ‘under audit’. I don’t have an issue with write-downs if a business cannot cover their debts...but it looks like he has been pulling out all the stops to avoid a T.O. bankruptcy filing.

Not that the Trump cult will care...they believe he’s a success and will believe the T.O. official who called the NYT reporting fake and inaccurate today. Ok then, let’s try the smell test: put up documents proving the NYT wrong?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

petertenthije

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:44 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

If losses can be deducted, maybe lost-causes can be deducted as well? :D
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

maverick4002

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:44 pm

How is it he can only pay $750. I saw a post saying the average Starbucks barista would have paid $2800. This is not fair at all. And his dumb ass supporters will excuse this even though they are akin to the barista and are being shitted all over here.

acavpics

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 pm

So could he actually get removed from office now?

dragon-wings

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:50 pm

Well now we know why he refuses to release his taxes.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ltbewr

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:50 pm

acavpics wrote:

These bombshell disclosures could and should be enough to tip the balance for Biden and against Trump in the election. They should have prevented him from being a candidate in the first place, and also should have been part of his Impeachment and with it out there, he should resign.

It is likely that what he did was borderline legal and sadly is an indictment of the unfairness of our Federal Income Tax laws that have been perverted by massive bribes by rich bastards like Trump and corporations to politicians of both parties.
Last edited by ltbewr on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SL1200MK2

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:59 pm

ltbewr wrote:
acavpics wrote:

These bombshell disclosures could and should be enough to tip the balance for Biden and against Trump in the election. It is likely that what he did was borderline legal and sadly is an indictment of the unfairness of Federal Income Tax laws that have been perverted by massive bribes by rich bastards like Trump and corporations to politicians of both parties.

I really hope that you are correct, however, I don't think any of his supporters will care. In fact, I am guessing they will be proud of their leader. I think the real takeaway here is that it hurts him personally, as the people he so wishes would adore him have further confirmation of what a tool and looser he is.

T18

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:30 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.” ― Abraham Lincoln.

I'm not really sure old Abe is the right source for that quote - https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us
"QI speculates that someone in the prohibitionist movement was exposed directly or indirectly to the works of Jacques Abbadie or Denis Diderot. He or she began to use the expression on or before 1885, and by 1886 the words were reassigned to Lincoln who was revered by many as a moral paragon."
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

acavpics

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:33 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
acavpics wrote:

These bombshell disclosures could and should be enough to tip the balance for Biden and against Trump in the election. It is likely that what he did was borderline legal and sadly is an indictment of the unfairness of Federal Income Tax laws that have been perverted by massive bribes by rich bastards like Trump and corporations to politicians of both parties.

I really hope that you are correct, however, I don't think any of his supporters will care. In fact, I am guessing they will be proud of their leader. I think the real takeaway here is that it hurts him personally, as the people he so wishes would adore him have further confirmation of what a tool and looser he is.

Which is precisely why I am keeping fingers crossed that Orange Man actually gets in trouble and gets kicked out of office before the election. Maybe that would somehow be a tiny step in making America a bit less divided?

Aesma

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:46 am

Time for a wealth tax in the US ? Maybe to apply only if you have ample assets but no revenue or something like that.

I understand the opposition to it on principle, but at the end of the day, living a billionaire's life while not contributing anything to public coffers shouldn't be possible, even if you're having a bad year.

As for the truthfulness of the tax info, I'd bet the NYT has double and triple checked it with various sources. Trump will not be there in a few years, but the NYT wants to still be there, proving it's not fake news, so they wouldn't take the risk.

Especially considering we all expected the tax data to be exactly that, in fact I'm pretty sure I'd already read something very similar years ago (that he didn't pay taxes most years in the last decade) so the only new info are the details on the expenses etc.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:47 am

Aesma wrote:
Time for a wealth tax in the US ? Maybe to apply only if you have ample assets but no revenue or something like that.

I understand the opposition to it on principle, but at the end of the day, living a billionaire's life while not contributing anything to public coffers shouldn't be possible, even if you're having a bad year.

As for the truthfulness of the tax info, I'd bet the NYT has double and triple checked it with various sources. Trump will not be there in a few years, but the NYT wants to still be there, proving it's not fake news, so they wouldn't take the risk.

Especially considering we all expected the tax data to be exactly that, in fact I'm pretty sure I'd already read something very similar years ago (that he didn't pay taxes most years in the last decade) so the only new info are the details on the expenses etc.

Whoever it is has put everything on the line to share this information with reporters.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:40 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Whoever it is has put everything on the line to share this information with reporters.

There are a lot of people who have access to his taxes. Just off the top of my head. i know in 2004 he had to turn over 5 years of taxes to Nevada gaming commission to get his gambling license when he was investing in the Rivera. Then there are all those banks he owes money to, he had to show them his taxes in order to get loans. He got gaming license in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri. Then there are other states that asked to see his taxes, and he was ordered to show them.

skyservice_330

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:02 am

So, to summarize - It would seem Trump has paid more to Stormy than Uncle Sam
Last edited by skyservice_330 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

stl07

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:06 am

If the NYT is fake, Trump should release his tax returns
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

WarRI1

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:13 am

stl07 wrote:

Also a very good point especially if he has nothing to :rotfl: hide.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

art

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:17 am

Wasn't there a guy called Alphonse Capone who had a spot of bother over tax returns?

I forget the name but I think there was a businesswoman in America who was alleged to have said "Only the little people pay taxes." Trump is not so little, is he?

N867DA

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:22 am

Trump's cultist buddies will bury their heads a few more feet underground, but I'd imagine most people long suspected something's fishy with his finances. This is like a mom going to any lengths to avoid blood typing a child in front of her spouse, or a person claiming to be very wealthy while providing no genuine evidence of wealth (oh, wait...). I'm sure the NYT will put Trump's worst foot forward but even still, successful people are very rarely as brash or acerbic as the President. He has made his wealth and being an asshole his identity because he's projected the impression that because of the former, he can be the latter. I bet it's harder for him to deal with the evidence being out there than actually not being as well-off as he said.

What will this impact? Probably nothing. The nice part about building a cult of followers is that you can literally shoot someone in the middle of Times Square or call someone's wife ugly to their face and they will still buy the tall tales your peddle.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

WarRI1

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:27 am

art wrote:
Wasn't there a guy called Alphonse Capone who had a spot of bother over tax returns?

I forget the name but I think there was a businesswoman in America who was alleged to have said "Only the little people pay taxes." Trump is not so little, is he?

Leona Helmsley. An arrogant woman of the worst kind.

SAS A340

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 am

$70K write off for hairstyling?? That poor hairstylist must have been thrue hell and fire. :spit:
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

Waterbomber2

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 am

It's not unusual for a real estate magnate to not pay taxes.
Real estate depreciates.

The problem is that real estate market value appreciates while the fiscal value after depreciation decreases.
Basically, if Trump sells any of his properties, he would get ripped by the IRS as he would have to pay taxes on the delta between those values.

But if you don't sell, one day it will start crumbling and would have to be rebuilt.
Real estate is hence a business where the wealth is only perceived, not real, and it only becomes real when you sell the property and go through the taxman.
If you hold your properties until they start crumbling and don't make earnings at any point in the lifecycle of the property, you actually end up poorer than when you started, although you will lead a rich life.

WarRI1

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:06 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Real estate depreciates.

The problem is that real estate market value appreciates while the fiscal value after depreciation decreases.
Basically, if Trump sells any of his properties, he would get ripped by the IRS as he would have to pay taxes on the delta between those values.

But if you don't sell, one day it will start crumbling and would have to be rebuilt.
Real estate is hence a business where the wealth is only perceived, not real, and it only becomes real when you sell the property and go through the taxman.
If you hold your properties until they start crumbling and don't make earnings at any point in the lifecycle of the property, you actually end up poorer than when you started, although you will lead a rich life.

A big part of many great fortunes are or were built on Real Estate holdings, as a an old farmer once told me and this is a real story, Kiddo, they do not make land in factories.

winginit

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:08 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Real estate depreciates.

When it comes to State taxes there is precedent for what you've said there sure. Federal taxes though? For someone who reports to have so many streams of revenue? Trump is either a tax fraud or a business fraud based on what's been reported here. There is no third option for him.
Last edited by winginit on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:10 am

stl07 wrote:

He still claims he can't because he's under audit. The IRS commissioner says that's false. And the NYT's reporting indicates the audit still at large dates back years from an $80 million refund Trump claimed on losses. If the audit doesn't go in his favor, he will owe over $100 million inclusive of interest. It's no wonder he doesn't want to release anything.

LCDFlight

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:10 am

It’s exactly what I would expect. He is a real estate guy mainly because the laws on real estate investing make it very tax advantageous. Depreciation and maintenance are tax deductible. Leona Helmsley, same thing. Good recollection there. But is it illegal, not really. If it were, the IRS would have consistently ruled against him or referred him for prosecution.

In sum, lots of sketchy businesses are like this. It is not a surprise. And are the wealthy plutocrats on the left squeaky clean... just because they say they are? Nah.

Ken777

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:23 am

Biggest problem I see is that he PERSONALLY has guaranteed around $450 MILLION in debt with $300 MILLION due in the next 4 years.\

It's going to be worth reading the entire article, so I won't go into it here.

But I will point out that live cameras showing the White House right now (after 11 PM) show the US Flag flying at half mast. While it clearly was lowered for the Wonderful RBG it might be appropriate for the upcoming death of a Presidency.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 am

LCDFlight wrote:
It’s exactly what I would expect. He is a real estate guy mainly because the laws on real estate investing make it very tax advantageous. Depreciation and maintenance are tax deductible. Leona Helmsley, same thing. Good recollection there. But is it illegal, not really. If it were, the IRS would have consistently ruled against him or referred him for prosecution.

In sum, lots of sketchy businesses are like this. It is not a surprise. And are the wealthy plutocrats on the left squeaky clean... just because they say they are? Nah.

Everybody knows about the tax advantages. Cohen and SDNY have indicated there's more going on, particularly with fraudulent valuations and unconventional loans. Are you just going to pretend the Foundation wasn't already disbanded by a court for fraudulently taking donated money from itself to pay legal and campaign bills? He has been PNG to American banks since the mid-90s - where have these loans originated from? Ya know, the ones he personally guaranteed. Those are important considerations - and PRECISELY why federal guidelines bar security clearances and employment for those with significant debts and credit stress.

bennett123

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:08 am

Iirc, the Tax Returns that the IRS were supposed to be querying related to 1995.

Is it normal for the it to take 25 years to finalise your Tax Returns?.

MaverickM11

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:36 am

Drafran wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Oh yes, the ‘n’ word again. Just to point out: the burden of proof is not on the NYT. It’s the T.O. claiming the information is fake.

That's not the way it works, at all. The media can't just publish fake stories about people. That's called libel. The burden is on them to prove that they are right, not the other way around. Here's an example: if a media outlet ran a front-page story saying "Aaron747 ran over and killed a pedestrian 5 years ago, and also beats helpless animals", you'd rightfully be mad. The burden isn't on you to prove them wrong....it is on them to make sure they are right, otherwise they can be sued for damages.

Yeah, except that doesn't work quite so easily for public officials. The only way Trumplethinskin can sue for libel and win is if he proves that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice by knowing what they published was false or a reckless disregard for the truth.

Which reminds me—why isn’t Jacob Wohl rotting in jail for that exact reason?
I don't take responsibility at all

Drafran

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Drafran wrote:
N583JB wrote:

That's not the way it works, at all. The media can't just publish fake stories about people. That's called libel. The burden is on them to prove that they are right, not the other way around. Here's an example: if a media outlet ran a front-page story saying "Aaron747 ran over and killed a pedestrian 5 years ago, and also beats helpless animals", you'd rightfully be mad. The burden isn't on you to prove them wrong....it is on them to make sure they are right, otherwise they can be sued for damages.

Yeah, except that doesn't work quite so easily for public officials. The only way Trumplethinskin can sue for libel and win is if he proves that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice by knowing what they published was false or a reckless disregard for the truth.

Which reminds me—why isn’t Jacob Wohl rotting in jail for that exact reason?

Might as well ask why no one is rotting in jail over the mortgage crisis. Some people are just lucky.

bennett123

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:05 am

Just read about Wohl on Wiki.

Sounds like an interesting character.

tommy1808

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:08 am

Drafran wrote:
N583JB wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Oh yes, the ‘n’ word again. Just to point out: the burden of proof is not on the NYT. It’s the T.O. claiming the information is fake.

which is pretty easy to proof if the NYT doesn´t actually have his tax returns. Even under silly US libel law that would do.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

tommy1808

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:12 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

The NYT has to protect its sources per law and Supreme Court decisions decades ago. The data is discussed in the article and the NYT has made it clear there will be follow up articles on details with documentation.

If they have the tax data, there’s no reason to delay sharing it alongside the summary.

If Trump was as rich as he says he is, he’d mail out the details to every last citizen on the back of a postcard. We’ve known he’s a fraud for 40+ years. And not even a good one.

If the reporting is correct, and there is no reason to doubt that, Trump would essentially be instantly bankrupt when he leaves the White House unless he manages to skim off a lot more from the Tax Payer than he already does... and explains why he needs to overcharge the secret service for a few thousand extra USD. He really needs every coin he can get his hands on to maintain the illusion of having money.

best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:26 am

petertenthije wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

If losses can be deducted, maybe lost-causes can be deducted as well? :D

skyservice_330 wrote:
So, to summarize - It would seem Trump has paid more to Stormy than Uncle Sam

That's a lot of damage.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

sebolino

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:42 am

apodino wrote:
Well...the NY times dropped a bombshell with Trump's Taxes tonight. And it shows years of losses and tax avoidance.

This is a bombshell and yet another October surprise as well. Not good for Trump at all.

Honestly, I don't think his supporters care. They will just say it's a lie of the "Deep state". I discovered this expression something like 2 weeks ago, and I'm still laughing.
Very convenient, every time something bad happens to your favorite candidate, it's a conspiracy of some strange people pulling the strings in the unreachable "Deep state", which is always democrat of course, whoever is in the white house. :bigthumbsup:

Dutchy

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:36 am

apodino wrote:

Really, quelle surprise. Does it matter at all? His opponents will point to it and see it for what it is, but it will not change their for upcoming November, his supporters will wave it away, just like anyone else Trump has done, said, or neglected to do, and continue their support for this charlatan.

So does it all matter? Will it have any influence in the elections? I do not think so. Trump supporters don't seem to care at all.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Aaron747

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:25 am

Dutchy wrote:
apodino wrote:

Really, quelle surprise. Does it matter at all? His opponents will point to it and see it for what it is, but it will not change their for upcoming November, his supporters will wave it away, just like anyone else Trump has done, said, or neglected to do, and continue their support for this charlatan.

So does it all matter? Will it have any influence in the elections? I do not think so. Trump supporters don't seem to care at all.

There are a few outraged GOPers and independents on social media and in man on street interviews - not many but they are there. A couple celebrities, like Dwayne Johnson, also got off the fence, as did former Homeland Security chief and ex-PA governor Tom Ridge. If anything this may drive the gender wedge between male/female independents and GOPers even wider.

ltbewr

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:53 am

For years, many of us have wanted the tax records of Trump and his businesses and now we finally have them when we needed them 4 years ago.These disclosures also bring out he massive corruption of Biden and many politicians of both parties for decades, given massive bribes as 'campaign contributions' by people like Trump are so screwed up to favor the rich and hurt the poor, working and middle class. This is why we need massive campaign finance reform.
We also need to demand fuller disclosures by law, not of unofficial agreements of tax and financial records of all politicians and political candidates to see their conflicts of interest as well as massive tax reform to make the rich pay their fair share of taxes.

NIKV69

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:56 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
why isn't he cashing his paycheck to be president. It looks like he can use his salary.

He donates it so he can write that off too. I think everyone here should learn tax law before they throw bombs. Also I can't wait to see who gets convicted of a felony for giving this info to the times and if the times actually releases the document because all we have now is their word and it's not worth anything.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

tommy1808

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 am

NIKV69 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
why isn't he cashing his paycheck to be president. It looks like he can use his salary.

He donates it so he can write that off too.

Nah, he is donating it because it is the cheapest marketing ploy.

their word and it's not worth anything.

You are mistaking the NYT for Donald Trump. His word has no value whatsoever, while the Times has a track record of being correct.

best regards
Thomas

olle

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:19 am

What is the economical status of the Trump empire?

Does it keep itself afloat or is it close to bankruptcy?

If the debt collectors is banging the doors it might be a sign that he easily can be under influence in his job as president.

bgm

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:01 pm

There's always a tweet for everything:

This has not aged well. Oops.

Melania must be fuming. She's had to do the nasty with him and turns out he's broke! :rotfl:

Mortyman

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:02 pm

olle wrote:
What is the economical status of the Trump empire?

Does it keep itself afloat or is it close to bankruptcy?

If the debt collectors is banging the doors it might be a sign that he easily can be under influence in his job as president.

He has payments coming up that he will not be able to pay. He is broke and he has been and is most deffinetly an easy target for foreign governments and individuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-23kldIp8