Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747

Re: NY Times obtains Trump's Taxes

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:22 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
1). Lying about the value of your property - claiming it is only a fraction of its true worth - in order to avoid property taxes is a crime;

2) Inflating the value of that same property in order to write-off a "charitable contribution" at that inflated value is a crime;

3). Paying your daughter as an employee of your company, then paying her separately as a "consultant" (which gives her money and avoids inheritance tax implications) is a crime.

There are three, for starters. I am sure other can point out many more.

As of now these charges you are making are being pulled out of a hat. When you have something more than supposition and have some evidence to back these accusations up we can discuss it.

well, we do have his lawyer, under oath, stating as fact that Trump inflated property values when talking to banks, and deflating it when doing his taxes. And we had that quite a long time.

And its not like there are no public records about his Seven Springs real estate, changing value by a factor of 30 over time....

best regards
Thomas

Notice he chose only to respond to the NYT mentions and not the sourced material I referenced. Typical. He's claiming things have been pulled out of a hat, and claimed further that there aren't isn't any damning information. Yet when shown there is damning information - to the tune of $421 million in debt to dubious foreign entities - crickets.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

alfa164

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:24 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
1). Lying about the value of your property - claiming it is only a fraction of its true worth - in order to avoid property taxes is a crime;

2) Inflating the value of that same property in order to write-off a "charitable contribution" at that inflated value is a crime;

3). Paying your daughter as an employee of your company, then paying her separately as a "consultant" (which gives her money and avoids inheritance tax implications) is a crime.

As of now these charges you are making are being pulled out of a hat. When you have something more than supposition and have some evidence to back these accusations up we can discuss it.

well, we do have his lawyer, under oath, stating as fact that Trump inflated property values when talking to banks, and deflating it when doing his taxes. And we had that quite a long time.

And its not like there are no public records about his Seven Springs real estate, changing value by a factor of 30 over time....

best regards
Thomas

:checkmark: . It is almost funny; the same group of people who are shouting, "The person who released the records needs to go to jail!" are now saying, "It's fake! There are no facts here!"

You can't have it both ways...

:roll:

Aaron747 wrote:
[Notice he chose only to respond to the NYT mentions and not the sourced material I referenced. Typical. He's claiming things have been pulled out of a hat, and claimed further that there aren't isn't any damning information. Yet when shown there is damning information - to the tune of $421 million in debt to dubious foreign entities - crickets.

:checkmark: . Picking-and-choosing is an art; I am sure it was taught for many years at Trump University...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

winginit

Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:29 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Do you really believe that the New York Times is just making this up? Putting them at risk of legal exposure and humiliation if Trump actually releases his returns and proves them wrong? State your claim.

ItnStln

Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:52 pm

winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Do you really believe that the New York Times is just making this up? Putting them at risk of legal exposure and humiliation if Trump actually releases his returns and proves them wrong? State your claim.

They would just hide behind the First Amendment

Aaron747

Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:55 pm

ItnStln wrote:
winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Umm no, investigations units have additional ethical responsibilities due to the gravity of the stories they work on. Go watch ‘Spotlight’ or ‘All the President’s Men’...you might learn something.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ItnStln

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:02 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
winginit wrote:

Umm no, investigations units have additional ethical responsibilities due to the gravity of the stories they work on. Go watch ‘Spotlight’ or ‘All the President’s Men’...you might learn something.

I know that, but every other hit piece about any Republican results in the publisher hiding behind the First Amendment. Even when their "high place anonymous sources" are really vague. So there is nothing for me to learn as I know about what you pretend to know about.

winginit

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:05 pm

ItnStln wrote:
winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Trump sues newspapers left and right which of course begs the question - why didn't he immedietly announce a lawsuit against the NYT for the tax piece?

... because he knows they have them, and that the reporting is true.

ItnStln

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm

winginit wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
winginit wrote:

Trump sues newspapers left and right which of course begs the question - why didn't he immedietly announce a lawsuit against the NYT for the tax piece?

Or he has more important things to handle first, like the 2020 election and ACB's SCOTUS nomination.

winginit

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:11 pm

ItnStln wrote:
winginit wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

Or he has more important things to handle first, like the 2020 election and ACB's SCOTUS nomination.

Or you mean like the pandemic that is ravaging both this country and his own White House? 200,000+ dead Americans? Record unemployment? Like that you mean? How telling that you left that out of the 'important things to handle' like the election and a supreme court nomination that he no longer has anything to do with. How pathetic.

Matters of actual importance haven't stopped him in the past from looking out for number one.

Aaron747

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:14 pm

ItnStln wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

I know that, but every other hit piece about any Republican results in the publisher hiding behind the First Amendment. Even when their "high place anonymous sources" are really vague. So there is nothing for me to learn as I know about what you pretend to know about.

You’ll have to expand on your personal definition of ‘hit piece’. Bringing important matters to the public’s attention and holding powerful people to account is a critical societal role of investigative reporting. To me, ‘hit pieces’ are tabloid garbage that are either false or published out of malign intent. Knowing if a POTUS’s foreign policy footing is possibly entangled with personally-guaranteed loans underwritten by foreign state banks is definitely not the junk news category.

Tugger

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:15 pm

ItnStln wrote:
winginit wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

Unlikely. He has plenty of people that could manage that and work on the lawsuit. Plus it would shut people up and help his re-election bid by proving and daily bringing out releases about how fake and false the story is. It would be a really smart thing to do, automatically getting news coverage and helping Trump.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

tommy1808

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:17 pm

ItnStln wrote:
winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Which doesn't work with malice, and making up your sources would proof just that. So, no, they wouldn't.

Have you decided yet if they are genuine, releasing them was a felony, and hence Trump committed felonies, or it's made up and no fony was committed. It's either/or... not pick and chose.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

scbriml

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:02 pm

ItnStln wrote:

Damn those amendments! It's funny how conservatives love some amendments but would be perfectly happy to see others ignored.

ItnStln wrote:
Or he has more important things to handle first

Like playing golf or pulling out of presidential debates?

winginit wrote:
Matters of actual importance haven't stopped him in the past from looking out for number one.

Or playing golf.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Tugger

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:25 pm

scbriml wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

Damn those amendments! It's funny how conservatives love some amendments but would be perfectly happy to see others ignored.

Well remember, the first is mightier than the second. They have good reason to fear the "other side".

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

NIKV69

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:56 pm

winginit wrote:

Of course they are. In the stretch run to the election the NYT and everyone in the media will just say anything to get Biden to the finish line. Just like Harry Reid accused Romney of tax evasion with absolutely no evidence. Making up a lie to sway opinion in an election is a far left tactic and it's just winked at by the media because they support the people they cover.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

scbriml

Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Making up a lie to sway opinion in an election is a far left tactic and it's just winked at by the media because they support the people they cover.

You know there's no "far left" in american politics, right?

You seem to be under the mistaken belief that the right doesn't do exactly the same. Like Trump promising a coronavirus vaccine "momentarily", then claiming the drugs he was given "is a cure"? Those kind of lies?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Newark727

Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:40 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Of course they are. In the stretch run to the election the NYT and everyone in the media will just say anything to get Biden to the finish line. Just like Harry Reid accused Romney of tax evasion with absolutely no evidence. Making up a lie to sway opinion in an election is a far left tactic and it's just winked at by the media because they support the people they cover.

Dude, take a minute to listen to yourself talk here - you've just strung together a bunch of right-wing canards without any real critical understanding. What the hell does "making up a lie to sway opinion in an election" have to do with the far left? Anyone can do that. And of all the ways the NYT could lie, why would they do it in a way that Trump could conclusively disprove in an afternoon if he felt like it? Aren't there dozens of better angles to take?

Tugger

Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

My goodness NIKV, you can't be serious.

But then I have sadly heard more, what I otherwise consider to be normal, moral, intelligent people, going so far hard .... I am loathe to say right because it really isn't right, at least the "right" that has been representative of solid conservatives and Republicans for decades... it is more off the edge running is circles than "right". They are positively panicked and certain of destruction and conspiracy and consistently blind to any problems with Trump or their 'echo-chamber" viewing of news and information. It is just not normal. Even my hard-right father is not sure what to make of people that appear unwilling or incapable to make up their own minds being unable/unwilling to review multiple news sources.

It's this belief, which you NIKV appears to share, that ALL OTHER SOURCES of news and information, "the media" are ALL together and conspiring to show one thing and only a few "favored sources" of information are right and to be trusted 100% and are unbiased and without spin, and only showing reality. It just does not make any sense.

Tugg

Newark727

Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:41 am

ItnStln wrote:

It's nice to know what you really think of the Constitution, when it conflicts with the interests of Dear Leader.

WarRI1

Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:14 am

Newark727 wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

It's nice to know what you really think of the Constitution, when it conflicts with the interests of Dear Leader.

I am amazed myself about hiding behind the First Amendment BS. To defend this bunch of wackos is indicative of total brain washing by the Right. :banghead:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

winginit

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:10 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:

So you mean for us to believe that the New York Times, a publicly traded entity with a board and shareholders, decided to make things up about the President of the United States in such a way that they could easily, so easily be disproved much to the humiliation (and likely financial detriment) of their organization. Additionally, you mean for us to believe that the reason that Donald hasn't merely lifted the finger required to release the two pages of tax returns that could not only humiliate an entity that he hates more than others is but also likely help him in an ongoing election that he looks set to lose is because... he doesn't have to? doesn't have the time?

What you are asking us to believe is entirely absurd. Listen to yourself.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:47 pm

winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
winginit wrote:

So you mean for us to believe that the New York Times, a publicly traded entity with a board and shareholders, decided to make things up about the President of the United States in such a way that they could easily, so easily be disproved much to the humiliation (and likely financial detriment) of their organization. Additionally, you mean for us to believe that the reason that Donald hasn't merely lifted the finger required to release the two pages of tax returns that could not only humiliate an entity that he hates more than others is but also likely help him in an ongoing election that he looks set to lose is because... he doesn't have to? doesn't have the time?

He even have the chance to prove that he is the great business man and such rich man that cannot be bought that he claims in the same moment that he drag NYT in the gutter ;-)

bgm

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:41 pm

olle wrote:
winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

He even have the chance to prove that he is the great business man and such rich man that cannot be bought that he claims in the same moment that he drag NYT in the gutter ;-)

Indeed. The fact that he has refused to release any tax return info to counter the NYT article shows that what they published is most likely spot on. Trump's refusal to provide any evidence to counter it shows this.

The karma from his birtherism BS is coming back to bite him in the ass. :rotfl:

luckyone

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:34 pm

I’d just like to point out that the same general group of people who express belief that the NYT have fabricated this story, are also the same general group of people who celebrated CNN and WaPo having to give a settlement to the kid from Kentucky. Clearly “hiding behind the First Amendment” isn’t quite the salvation they suggest.

extender

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 am

But it is pretty hypocritical that the NYT and other media companies use tax laws to their advantage.

Link

tommy1808

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:05 am

extender wrote:
But it is pretty hypocritical that the NYT and other media companies use tax laws to their advantage.

Link

Nothing about inflating value when talking to banks and deflating value for tax purposes in it.

best regards
Thomas

Aaron747

Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:47 pm

extender wrote:

Link

Interesting - I didn't find any references to shady loans underwritten by countries of low repute in finance.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 pm

extender wrote:

Link

Nope. Not even close.!

What is hypocritical is providing a blind link to a part-time two-bit conservative-leaning media company, fabricating a story out of nothing in respect of a much larger and hugely more respected media company.
Or do you have evidence that your favorite media source doesn't also "use tax laws to their advantage."

I was tempted to accuse the writer of being biased, but that would be wrong. Here is what the same writer said of Trump all the way back in 2004.
Ira Stoll / NY Sun wrote:
There's a contempt for Mr. Trump among certain of New York's elites. He has unusual-looking hair and an unpolished New York accent. He's highly leveraged, he's in the casino business, he plasters his name on everything, and his family fortune was built on a lot of middle-income housing in Brooklyn and Queens. For an alleged billionaire, he seems to spend a lot of time either going bankrupt or narrowly staving it off. And won't he date someone his own age?

https://www.nysun.com/opinion/apprentice/6531/
Nothing to see here; move along please.

seb146

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:12 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

He could simply release his taxes for the those years NYT reported on to prove them to be lying. But he does not. We will not see his taxes until they are in the hands of (because of subpoena) from Southern District Of New York. Once he is on trial for fraud, then We The People will see who is lying.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NIKV69

Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 pm

seb146 wrote:
He could simply release his taxes for the those years NYT reported on to prove them to be lying. But he does not. We will not see his taxes until they are in the hands of (because of subpoena) from Southern District Of New York. Once he is on trial for fraud, then We The People will see who is lying.

Or the NYT can produce the document they are using for their reporting.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Aaron747

Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Not possible because a. it may not be in their possession and b. it may jeopardize the source that shared it with them. Their lawyers won’t allow it.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yeah, that's a possibility.

Maybe it depends who has most to gain from releasing their respective documents?

I cannot see an upside to the NYT releasing their sources; the doubters will merely find another way to dismiss reality as "fake news".
(We've already been there with a certain birth certificate) :banghead:
Or worse, it could lead to Proud Boys & their ilk intimidating the witnesses.

Whereas Trump.... he could totally revitalise his election chances. And score a few $million in damages.
So what's stopping him? :scratchchin:

Anybody with a functioning brain knows the answer. But as Trump fails that basic criteria, he'll probably claim a "Mulligan".
Nothing to see here; move along please.

winginit

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:16 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

In which case you would just cry that it was fake. NYT has nothing to gain in doing so. Trump has everything to gain, and the fact that he still doesn't act is telling.

alfa164

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:06 am

winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

In which case you would just cry that it was fake. NYT has nothing to gain in doing so. Trump has everything to gain, and the fact that he still doesn't act is telling.

There is also a legal difference in reporting what the documents contain, and distributing copies of said documents. In some jurisdictions, that can be an important difference.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

FGITD

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexand ... 8dfb494330

It would appear the good Mr Trump has quite the financial predicament ahead of him.

Left, right, blue, red, green, rainbow, whoever. I think it should be generally agreed that a president should not be indebted at such a high amount to anyone

N867DA

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Donald Trump has filed an emergency request to prevent his taxes from coming out. Guess the urgent urgency with filling that seat becomes apparent now (even if the timing is off by a hair)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-tax- ... eme-court/

A reminder that he said back in 2016 he would release everything. The reason for the request: "The president should have a fair chance to develop his serious overbreadth and bad-faith claims before his records are disclosed". It's almost like the dude is a crook and needs time to get his story straight.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

winginit

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 pm

FGITD wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2020/10/16/donald-trump-has-at-least-1-billion-in-debt-more-than-twice-the-amount-he-suggested/#708dfb494330

It would appear the good Mr Trump has quite the financial predicament ahead of him.

Left, right, blue, red, green, rainbow, whoever. I think it should be generally agreed that a president should not be indebted at such a high amount to anyone

As mentioned, next to personal relationships, personal debt is the most common reason people are disqualified from security clearances - it's simply too easy to leverage. It seems quite likely that, if he weren't president, Trump wouldn't qualify for even the lower echelons of security clearance.

atcsundevil

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:58 pm

Two things:

First, I'm not sure how/why this discussion became dominated by Hunter Biden, but it's totally unrelated to the topic. Discuss this topic, or we'll start handing out warnings and bans.

Second, personal comments need to stop. This is a discussion board, not a place to err personal grievances. Show respect to other users, or don't post.

✈️ atcsundevil

Aaron747

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:13 am

winginit wrote:
FGITD wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2020/10/16/donald-trump-has-at-least-1-billion-in-debt-more-than-twice-the-amount-he-suggested/#708dfb494330

As mentioned, next to personal relationships, personal debt is the most common reason people are disqualified from security clearances - it's simply too easy to leverage. It seems quite likely that, if he weren't president, Trump wouldn't qualify for even the lower echelons of security clearance.

His son in law didn’t qualify either but the WH approved his clearance anyway. Go figure

Francoflier

Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:28 pm

N867DA wrote:
It's almost like the dude is a crook and needs time to get his story straight.

Yeah, almost... :lol:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

winginit

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:57 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

It's being reported, in the same vein as the previous NYT story, that the President of the United States maintains... a Chinese bank account, albeit an inactive one.

Story

What's even more interesting, as you can see in the story, is that the Trump Organization has confirmed the existence of the account directly to the NYT, validating the fact that the NYT do indeed have either Donald Trump's tax returns or accurate information around Donald Trump's tax returns. So much for needing to show their work.

The NYT reporting is all true - but we already knew that didn't we.

tommy1808

Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:48 am

winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

It's being reported, in the same vein as the previous NYT story, that the President of the United States maintains... a Chinese bank account, albeit an inactive one.

inactive until he became President.....

NYT wrote:
In 2017, the company reported an unusually large spike in revenue — some $17.5 million, more than the previous five years’ combined. It was accompanied by a $15.1 million withdrawal by Mr. Trump from the company’s capital account.

from: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/20/us/t ... china.html

best regards
Thomas

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 am

He paid USD 200 000 in taxes in China...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... xes-report

ltbewr

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm

One thing that must result from these disclosures of the tax and financial records of Trump, his family and businesses is to require much more detailed laws requiring disclosures of them by those seeking or in high Federal positions with similar requirements by all States for theirs. Also, there must be strict blind trusts for Presidents and VP's that will control their businesses and investments while in office, bans on their companies having contracts with the US government (like with Trump, his DC 'old post office' hotel) and bans on having foreign owned debts and bank accounts. Yes, such disclosures might not have prevented Trump from winning, but it could have limited his ability to gain wealth from his policies.

wingman

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
winginit wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

inactive until he became President.....

NYT wrote:
In 2017, the company reported an unusually large spike in revenue — some $17.5 million, more than the previous five years’ combined. It was accompanied by a $15.1 million withdrawal by Mr. Trump from the company’s capital account.

from: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/20/us/t ... china.html

best regards
Thomas

Bet you won't see this news on Fox or in the NYP. What's a direct $17M "donation" to the President got to do with anything when we have pictures of Hunter sucking that pipe?

Oh Donald, the sordid reality of what you and your family really are is about to explode into the public domain. Not even Hannity will be able to talk your way out of Super Max. Maybe you and Don Jr. will be able to bunk together so he can do up your bouffant every morning. And you share a poster of Ivanka.

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm

Published on NYT website yesterday regarding two ongoing investigation regarding Trump's tax write offs.

Two separate New York State fraud investigations into President Trump and his businesses, one criminal and one civil, have expanded to include tax write-offs on millions of dollars in consulting fees, some of which appear to have gone to Ivanka Trump, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The inquiries — a criminal investigation by the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., and a civil one by the state attorney general, Letitia James — are being conducted independently. But both offices issued subpoenas to the Trump Organization in recent weeks for records related to the fees, the people said.

Later in the article it says.

Few details have been publicly disclosed about the district attorney’s investigation, the only known active criminal case involving Mr. Trump. Mr. Vance’s office began the inquiry more than two years ago, initially focusing on the Trump Organization’s role in hush money paid during the 2016 presidential campaign to Stormy Daniels, a pornographic film actress who claimed to have had an affair with Mr. Trump.

The investigation has been stalled since last fall, after the president filed a lawsuit to block a subpoena for his tax returns and other financial records.

The legal fight is before the United States Supreme Court for a second time, with a ruling expected soon. Prosecutors have suggested in court filings that their investigation has expanded far beyond the hush money and is focused on a number of potential financial crimes, including insurance and bank-related fraud, tax evasion and grand larceny.

One can hope that the scotus goes against Trump but I don't think it's likely given how much right wing leaning judges there are who probably would do the same.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/19/nyre ... taxes.html
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente