Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
machbullet
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:36 pm

When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:41 pm

For me, it was a flight through LAX in mid June at the height of the panic.

Somehow, while I had heard that COVID was a big deal and how it was impacting the world by causing lockdowns, I found it very hard to quantify in my head what COVID actually meant. Mainly this was because, there was never really any kind of "real" lockdown in the US, definitely nothing at all like Europe or elsewhere.

Basically, even as late as June when my flight was due to depart, it was pretty much business as usual for me and my area. Despite what you heard on the media, even as late as June, COVID hadn't changed anything practical or caused any noticeable changes to life compared to before March.

All of this meant that at least for people in my area, you would never be able to tell pre-pandemic life apart from post-pandemic life other than the fact that people now wore masks. Besides that, not much else changed. People still went outside, people still went to work, people still went to the store.

All of this gave me the impression that the media was creating an extremely misleading image of a lockdown in the US that didn't actually exist since people have more or less been able to move freely and continue to do what they want since the pandemic started with minimal or no restrictions at all compared to other countries.

I found it striking and somewhat weird how normal COVID life felt given what kind of dramatic doomsday-esque pictures were being broadcast on the media. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that the media had an agenda and dramatizing COVID served their interests and was generally not to be trusted. I frequently found myself wondering if life in COVID was supposed to feel as normal and uneventful as it is given that everyone else seems to be panicking while I am just continuing business as usual. Or maybe it's not just me? Maybe COVID really is just another bump in the road, and it is business as usual for your average dude as well.

Given this sense of absolute normalcy in the COVID era, up to this point in mid June, I still had no real or otherwise quantifiable indication that anything in the world had actually changed since COVID started given the absence of any kind of lockdown in the US.

That was until my flight to LAX.

By the time I reached LAX at the end of my transcon, I was hungry. Typically, when I had flown into LAX on previous occasions, I was hungry and I would always go to TBIT to get some food and then do some planespotting. So that is what I did. When I trekked over TBIT, I was in for a surprise. I was expecting the usual rush of pax at TBIT waiting to go to destinations all over the world, terminal so packed with pax that you could barely breathe.

This time, there was not a soul to be seen in the entirety of TBIT. I had the whole place to myself which felt very eerie, almost spooky. It gave a new meaning to "ghost town." I walked down the main hall of TBIT as I had done many times in the past, where in the past I would have seen huge numbers of pax waiting to board A380's to far flung destinations, those places were now so deserted and quiet you could hear a pin drop in TBIT. It was quite an experience. The planes were still there, but they were empty, the people had vanished. Now the only people flying out of LAX were ghost people.

This was the very first time I was able to visually picture in my head with some indication the quantifiable effects of COVID on the world. International traffic had been absolutely decimated. That was the first moment when it really hit me that COVID was here to stay.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13574
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:41 pm

My first trip to JFK and the place was empty that really is something you will never see.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
olle
Posts: 2379
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:38 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Around Christmas 2019 I had a meeting with China. They explained what was happening there. We were in Chile at the moment and realized people was locked into their appartments against their will. We desired that Spain february break was impossible.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1495
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 pm

The weekend they closed entertainment venues and restaurants, then schools.

We had travelled through HKG in mid-December and early January and there were temperature checks underway, but that may just have been post-SARS "normal". By the end of January parents were being told not to send kids back to school after the summer holidays if you've visited or transited certain hotspots (incl HKG). My kids missed the cut-off by one day.

We had an exchange student from Berlin with us in Feb-March, and things were overall normal. I took her and my son to a concert on 13 March and the band was "this could be our last concert before things close down" - it did two days later. The exchange student returned home on 15 March knowing German schools would be closed.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
Newark727
Posts: 2121
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:02 pm

Probably when the NBA suspended their season - for how immediate and definitive it was. Just "someone tested positive, we've stopping everything as of tomorrow."
 
StarAC17
Posts: 3859
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:56 am

I knew on March 13th when the Canadian government announced that they advised against all international travel. The labeling of Covid19 being a pandemic on March 11th didn't seem a huge blow at the point. On the 13th schools were closed in Canada and a few days later most things were locked down. I went out for a birthday party the next day and it was really somber and quiet.

I was planning a trip to Bali leaving March 20th which was obviously cancelled. Thankfully I got a refund for the flight (thank you EVA air), the surf resort that I booked for is holding the deposit for 2 years. The tentative rebooking is March 2021 but I am thinking their is maybe a 20% chance it happens then. Who knows though.

I found it striking and somewhat weird how normal COVID life felt given what kind of dramatic doomsday-esque pictures were being broadcast on the media. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that the media had an agenda and dramatizing COVID served their interests and was generally not to be trusted. I frequently found myself wondering if life in COVID was supposed to feel as normal and uneventful as it is given that everyone else seems to be panicking while I am just continuing business as usual. Or maybe it's not just me? Maybe COVID really is just another bump in the road, and it is business as usual for your average dude as well.


I think for many it has put a damper on the plans of many. For myself, professional and social goals were hindered as the department I wanted to move into at work have been working from home since March and you cannot shadow or network easily during covid. Dating is harder and the lack of physical contact has been challenging, not because I can't but there is a general disapproval to do it in public.

In reality outside of a few places, this pandemic really hasn't created the mass death that was predicted initially and there has been minimal panic from what I have seen. I am sorry for the loss of those who lost loved ones but it hasn't been chaos.
The initial thought was the death toll would be millions and the reality is that death count from covid is just about to hit 1 million and the deaths are slowing and not accelerating. Cases are still as high as ever but the associated mayhem has not materialized and I have still yet to know a single person in the area where I live who has contracted Covid19.


I found it striking and somewhat weird how normal COVID life felt given what kind of dramatic doomsday-esque pictures were being broadcast on the media. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that the media had an agenda and dramatizing COVID served their interests and was generally not to be trusted. I frequently found myself wondering if life in COVID was supposed to feel as normal and uneventful as it is given that everyone else seems to be panicking while I am just continuing business as usual. Or maybe it's not just me? Maybe COVID really is just another bump in the road, and it is business as usual for your average dude as well.

Given this sense of absolute normalcy in the COVID era, up to this point in mid June, I still had no real or otherwise quantifiable indication that anything in the world had actually changed since COVID started given the absence of any kind of lockdown in the US.


The media is definitely fanning the fire of and the public largely will eventually end the social aspect of this pandemic as people simply will not be as scared. The media needs to be the cool heads here and they certainly have not been.

This can be very damaging because the real bad pandemic could be in 10 years and people will remember the reaction to this one and not take the next one seriously. The next one could have a 10-20% mortality and not discriminate based on age or health and having a plan for that people will listen to will be very important.

I would like to see a debate among experts on what action we take forward.

Fauci is clearly a brilliant doctor but I think his positions need to be questioned by other credible professional infectious disease experts, there needs to be a debate. I liked Rand Paul actually questioning him last week and while I know Fauci is right, his recommendations come from the brain of a 79 year old. We are going to shake hands again and probably many of us have started doing it again.

I would like to see him debate someone like Anders Tegnell who is equally knowledgeable and qualified.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12485
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:02 am

Seeing pictures of new jetliners mothballed on three continents in the same week.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
af773atmsp
Posts: 2379
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:37 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:14 am

Mid or late March when schools in Minnesota were closed, everyone at my organization who could work from home was required to, and transit service was cut dramatically.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.
 
Ken777
Posts: 10123
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:24 am

In March. I was waiting to have my shoulder replaced because (cancer) and was in a lot of pain because I had fallen and broke my arm. When I fell my son-in-law had to come over and get me up from the floor. He came wearing a mask as well as gloves - that made it clear that we had a problem. Before then I was just floating around on pain meds not in focus with Covid stuff.
Last edited by Ken777 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Ken777
Posts: 10123
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:27 am

Duplicate post
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2955
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 am

Kent350787 wrote:

We had travelled through HKG in mid-December and early January and there were temperature checks underway, but that may just have been post-SARS "normal".


Did they? I flew DFW-HKG-MEL in the last week of December and everything was perfectly normal. I don’t recall any temperature checks.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1495
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:33 am

Ishrion wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

We had travelled through HKG in mid-December and early January and there were temperature checks underway, but that may just have been post-SARS "normal".


Did they? I flew DFW-HKG-MEL in the last week of December and everything was perfectly normal. I don’t recall any temperature checks.


I only noticed it when transiting on 19 Dec (SYD-HKG-BOS) - didn't seem to be there on 13 Jan. Which suggests it was SARS rather than COVID related
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 14194
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:10 am

Today with 204 k dead and in the USA and over a million deaths worldwide.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
User avatar
moo
Posts: 4980
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 2:27 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:54 am

When we had a trip to the UK back in March.

When we left NZ, the UK only had around 130 cases.

When we changed planes in Dubai, that had grown to 800 cases.

When we landed in the UK, 1200.

That was the Saturday - NZ announced it had closed its borders the following Wednesday and I cannot believe how lucky we were to receive our NZ Residence permits literally the day before that announcement, so we were OK to return. But we decided to pull our flights forward to the Friday - and again, we were lucky when we did that because that was the day the UK started shutting down. The following Wednesday, airlines stopped flying.

But really it was that flight out to the UK where it really became apparent what this was and where it was going.

Checking NZ covid-19 statistics on the public health website showed that there were over 60 positive cases originating from the flight we had back from Dubai to Auckland. I have no idea how we avoided it.
 
flyguy89
Posts: 3048
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:05 am

Working an office job for an airline, I had a front row seat to seeing how things were unfolding before most people truly had a sense of it. I had gone on vacation abroad in late Feb. Through that time, COVID was really just background noise...new virus in China, and China being China about it, we'd been through Ebola, H1N1, SARS, really didn't think anything would come of it. And then suddenly starting to see pax traffic and bookings evaporate in early March, it was a steep descent for us from there.
 
Redd
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:00 am

Flew from WAW to YYZ on the 11th of March for a business trip, a few days later I realized I couldn't get back home. Took me over 3 months to get back home, as I didn't qualify for the rescue flights to Poland having a dual citizenship.

Spent the whole time delivering UBER eats on a bicycle to keep my fitness up (and to be allowed out and to interact with people on some level) and keep myself from going crazy. I'll tell you that it's a strange feeling being stuck thousands of kilometres from home and family not having a single option of heading back home.

I even tried to organize a flight back on a private jet but couldn't find enough people to keep the price reasonably affordable. That was a bit of a hard time I have to say.

As an interesting side not, I met a few pilots who fly (flew) for Porter while delivering food with UBER, not to mention some teachers, two lawyers and people from a bunch of different professional backgrounds. One of the lawyers was riding a $10,000+ custom-built Firefly titanium bike with electronic shifting, delivering food...lol.... I found that hilarious.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4525
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:27 am

Mid Jan when PPE like Mask are starting to sold out in multiple Asian countries
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:58 am

Around mid-January, a few days after user Jouhou started the Novel Coronavirus thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1438989

I got some weird looks when I started stocking up on masks and hand sanitizer in January.
 
cpd
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:18 am

machbullet wrote:
For me, it was a flight through LAX in mid June at the height of the panic.

Somehow, while I had heard that COVID was a big deal and how it was impacting the world by causing lockdowns, I found it very hard to quantify in my head what COVID actually meant. Mainly this was because, there was never really any kind of "real" lockdown in the US, definitely nothing at all like Europe or elsewhere.


When we started working from home permanently. I'm still working from home. Also when people started getting very sick from this virus, especially some who I know were actually in good health. Then it hits you. It's not that virus that's "over there".

It's also not going anywhere that isn't necessary.

I get my sanity by riding bicycles. It keeps me very fit and it's also something you can do on your own. I didn't go overseas (because of the virus) so I got a bike with disc brakes which I'd always been thinking of getting:

Image
Image

Normally I wouldn't ride anything with pro-team logos on it, but given the price was so good I grabbed it. I'm fairly quick so I can get away with riding such a bike.

Then of course also we knew it was bad when toilet paper was one of the most valuable commodities. Also there are hardly any planes flying overhead. And I live near a major flight path.
 
acavpics
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:33 am

Early March when sports leagues were cancelling games and colleges closed. Also, all tech workers started working from home.
 
machbullet
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:36 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm

Redd wrote:
Flew from WAW to YYZ on the 11th of March for a business trip, a few days later I realized I couldn't get back home. Took me over 3 months to get back home, as I didn't qualify for the rescue flights to Poland having a dual citizenship.

Spent the whole time delivering UBER eats on a bicycle to keep my fitness up (and to be allowed out and to interact with people on some level) and keep myself from going crazy. I'll tell you that it's a strange feeling being stuck thousands of kilometres from home and family not having a single option of heading back home.

I even tried to organize a flight back on a private jet but couldn't find enough people to keep the price reasonably affordable. That was a bit of a hard time I have to say.

As an interesting side not, I met a few pilots who fly (flew) for Porter while delivering food with UBER, not to mention some teachers, two lawyers and people from a bunch of different professional backgrounds. One of the lawyers was riding a $10,000+ custom-built Firefly titanium bike with electronic shifting, delivering food...lol.... I found that hilarious.


Man that is a crazy story!
 
Redd
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:13 pm

cpd wrote:
machbullet wrote:
For me, it was a flight through LAX in mid June at the height of the panic.

Somehow, while I had heard that COVID was a big deal and how it was impacting the world by causing lockdowns, I found it very hard to quantify in my head what COVID actually meant. Mainly this was because, there was never really any kind of "real" lockdown in the US, definitely nothing at all like Europe or elsewhere.


When we started working from home permanently. I'm still working from home. Also when people started getting very sick from this virus, especially some who I know were actually in good health. Then it hits you. It's not that virus that's "over there".

It's also not going anywhere that isn't necessary.

I get my sanity by riding bicycles. It keeps me very fit and it's also something you can do on your own. I didn't go overseas (because of the virus) so I got a bike with disc brakes which I'd always been thinking of getting:

Image
Image

Normally I wouldn't ride anything with pro-team logos on it, but given the price was so good I grabbed it. I'm fairly quick so I can get away with riding such a bike.

Then of course also we knew it was bad when toilet paper was one of the most valuable commodities. Also there are hardly any planes flying overhead. And I live near a major flight path.


I'm not sure how I feel about that split stem, what do you think about it? But over all a super nice and clean set-up. How do you like the hydraulic Red etap? Also, is that a hinged fork or is it the same thing as in the FACTOR, where it's a standard (steerer tube) fork with an aero fairing on the front?

Image
Last edited by Redd on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Redd
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:16 pm

machbullet wrote:
Redd wrote:
Flew from WAW to YYZ on the 11th of March for a business trip, a few days later I realized I couldn't get back home. Took me over 3 months to get back home, as I didn't qualify for the rescue flights to Poland having a dual citizenship.

Spent the whole time delivering UBER eats on a bicycle to keep my fitness up (and to be allowed out and to interact with people on some level) and keep myself from going crazy. I'll tell you that it's a strange feeling being stuck thousands of kilometres from home and family not having a single option of heading back home.

I even tried to organize a flight back on a private jet but couldn't find enough people to keep the price reasonably affordable. That was a bit of a hard time I have to say.

As an interesting side not, I met a few pilots who fly (flew) for Porter while delivering food with UBER, not to mention some teachers, two lawyers and people from a bunch of different professional backgrounds. One of the lawyers was riding a $10,000+ custom-built Firefly titanium bike with electronic shifting, delivering food...lol.... I found that hilarious.


Man that is a crazy story!


It was a crazy time. I'm originally from YYZ, so I was looking forward to seeing all of my old friends. Unfortunately I couldn't see many of them because of COVID.
Last edited by Redd on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
cpd
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Redd wrote:
cpd wrote:
machbullet wrote:
For me, it was a flight through LAX in mid June at the height of the panic.

Somehow, while I had heard that COVID was a big deal and how it was impacting the world by causing lockdowns, I found it very hard to quantify in my head what COVID actually meant. Mainly this was because, there was never really any kind of "real" lockdown in the US, definitely nothing at all like Europe or elsewhere.


When we started working from home permanently. I'm still working from home. Also when people started getting very sick from this virus, especially some who I know were actually in good health. Then it hits you. It's not that virus that's "over there".

It's also not going anywhere that isn't necessary.

I get my sanity by riding bicycles. It keeps me very fit and it's also something you can do on your own. I didn't go overseas (because of the virus) so I got a bike with disc brakes which I'd always been thinking of getting:

Image
Image

Normally I wouldn't ride anything with pro-team logos on it, but given the price was so good I grabbed it. I'm fairly quick so I can get away with riding such a bike.

Then of course also we knew it was bad when toilet paper was one of the most valuable commodities. Also there are hardly any planes flying overhead. And I live near a major flight path.


I'm not sure how I feel about that split stem, what do you think about it? But over all a super nice and clean set-up. How do you like the hydraulic Red etap? Also, is that a hinged fork or is it the same thing as in the FACTOR, where it's a standard fork with an aero fairing on the front?

Image


I love it, super high tech looking. The front isn’t a fairing as far as I can tell. It’s very new, I’ve only had it about 2 weeks. Red e-tap hydraulic is amazing, it stops so well. And it is a very quick thing - almost as quick as my TT bike. Only drawback is it is 1.4kg heavier than my other bike (7.82kg versus 6.4kg).

Ill just keep trying to stay isolated and hopefully avoid the virus. I miss going back to France and the people I don’t get to see aside from virtual catch-ups. :( If I couldn’t ride I’d be climbing the walls.

I’m very lucky I didn’t book any flights and even more lucky I wasn’t overseas otherwise I could have been stuck.
 
Redd
Posts: 1309
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:35 pm

cpd wrote:
Redd wrote:
cpd wrote:

When we started working from home permanently. I'm still working from home. Also when people started getting very sick from this virus, especially some who I know were actually in good health. Then it hits you. It's not that virus that's "over there".

It's also not going anywhere that isn't necessary.

I get my sanity by riding bicycles. It keeps me very fit and it's also something you can do on your own. I didn't go overseas (because of the virus) so I got a bike with disc brakes which I'd always been thinking of getting:

Image
Image

Normally I wouldn't ride anything with pro-team logos on it, but given the price was so good I grabbed it. I'm fairly quick so I can get away with riding such a bike.

Then of course also we knew it was bad when toilet paper was one of the most valuable commodities. Also there are hardly any planes flying overhead. And I live near a major flight path.


I'm not sure how I feel about that split stem, what do you think about it? But over all a super nice and clean set-up. How do you like the hydraulic Red etap? Also, is that a hinged fork or is it the same thing as in the FACTOR, where it's a standard fork with an aero fairing on the front?

Image


I love it, super high tech looking. The front isn’t a fairing as far as I can tell. It’s very new, I’ve only had it about 2 weeks. Red e-tap hydraulic is amazing, it stops so well. And it is a very quick thing. Only drawback is it is 1.4kg heavier than my other bike (7.82kg versus 6.4kg).

Ill just keep trying to stay isolated and hopefully avoid the virus. I miss going back to France and the people I don’t get to see aside from virtual catch-ups. :(

I’m very lucky I didn’t book any flights and even more lucky I wasn’t overseas otherwise I could have been stuck.


Congrats man, it's a super sweet ride. How is the power transfer and the long distance comfort? I haven't ridden an aero bike yet, I'm kind of curious if you can really notice a difference? Just about all of my riding buddies now have an aero bike with hydraulic discs... I'm feeling a little old school. lol.

I'll send a picture over when I'm finished my current build. It's a custom scandium frame with carbon seat stays. Currently, have 105 with an R-SYS wheelset on it, but I'm going to go RED mechanical as the next upgrade. It's in the neighbourhood of 6.8kg right now, but with the KCNC calipers, Clavicula crankset and RED brifters and derailleurs, I want to get it just over 6kg... :D
 
cpd
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Redd wrote:
cpd wrote:
Redd wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about that split stem, what do you think about it? But over all a super nice and clean set-up. How do you like the hydraulic Red etap? Also, is that a hinged fork or is it the same thing as in the FACTOR, where it's a standard fork with an aero fairing on the front?

Image


I love it, super high tech looking. The front isn’t a fairing as far as I can tell. It’s very new, I’ve only had it about 2 weeks. Red e-tap hydraulic is amazing, it stops so well. And it is a very quick thing. Only drawback is it is 1.4kg heavier than my other bike (7.82kg versus 6.4kg).

Ill just keep trying to stay isolated and hopefully avoid the virus. I miss going back to France and the people I don’t get to see aside from virtual catch-ups. :(

I’m very lucky I didn’t book any flights and even more lucky I wasn’t overseas otherwise I could have been stuck.


Congrats man, it's a super sweet ride. How is the power transfer and the long distance comfort? I haven't ridden an aero bike yet, I'm kind of curious if you can really notice a difference? Just about all of my riding buddies now have an aero bike with hydraulic discs... I'm feeling a little old school. lol.

I'll send a picture over when I'm finished my current build. It's a custom scandium frame with carbon seat stays. Currently, have 105 with an R-SYS wheelset on it, but I'm going to go RED mechanical as the next upgrade. It's in the neighbourhood of 6.8kg right now, but with the KCNC calipers, Clavicula crankset and RED brifters and derailleurs, I want to get it just over 6kg... :D


Oh, it’s very fast anywhere that is flat or downhill. You notice that. And through corners it is also really fast. It’s not bad in crosswinds either. My other bike was very comfortable, very light and stiff (Canyon Ultimate CF Evo), so this one is more firm but not too bad. So far I’ve done longest ride about 110km on it. Second ride on it was about 45km with hills and a 32.3km/h average speed.

It was just by chance I got this. Price was right and the shop had one I could look at and measure against my other bike. Once I knew the fit would work, it was done.
 
Kno
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:16 pm

When literally every office in Boston closed down and had the whole city working remotely within one week. Hopping on the highway in peak rush hour times where thousands upon thousands of cars are stop and go and seeing MAYBE 1 other car.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8580
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Prior to WA going on lockdown. I was spending a weekend with a guy I really wanted to see and he flew in from CA. His mom called him and warned that CA would be locked down and restrict all travel, so he got nervous and changed his flight. I drove him up to SEA...the airport was empty. SEA is one of the few airports where TSA is piloting a program allowing non-flyers to go terminal side, so I stepped through with him...the Alaska Airlines terminal was completely empty. I had never seen an airport as busy as SEA so empty during the day.

Sure enough, the following week, WA ordered lockdown.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
lowwkjax
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:52 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:54 pm

When they basically shut down the country here in Austria and only allowed people to leave their houses to buy groceries, work, seek medical attention, go for a walk or assist others who can’t care for themselves, I drove to downtown Vienna to take a walk there. The area, which is usually packed, was a ghost town, there was literally no one else besides a few police cars and one or two people walking their dogs. That was the moment it hit me like “f..k something’s going on here”.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1046
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Kno wrote:
When literally every office in Boston closed down and had the whole city working remotely within one week. Hopping on the highway in peak rush hour times where thousands upon thousands of cars are stop and go and seeing MAYBE 1 other car.


But for those of us still commuting it was beautiful. Leaving work at 5pm and having absolutely no traffic on the pike or expressway.

For me it was a few days after the travel ban. Suddenly there were no flights to work, no passengers, and a good majority of my colleagues across the airlines/handling companies went home and never came back.

I took a drive around the airport and it was almost like one of those "after humans are gone" type shows.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11856
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:04 pm

For me, it was in Early March when my flight got cancelled overseas.

Then when the kids came home from school and never left the weekend of St Patrick's day.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24636
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:24 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Today with 204 k dead and in the USA and over a million deaths worldwide.

I made a post here just as we were closing in on 65k deaths in the US, which would match the number of US military deaths in Vietnam.

It didn't seem we'd let that happen without making an all out effort to do something about it.

Instead we got the "freedom first" types having their spring outings and then the number of cases and deaths went into overdrive.

cpd wrote:
I get my sanity by riding bicycles. It keeps me very fit and it's also something you can do on your own.

Congrats!

I am not in the 'very fit' category or even the 'kinda fit' category but have rediscovered a love of bicycling during this epidemic.

I had my two bikes (road, hybrid) stolen a few years ago. Luckily the police caught the guy who did it and I ended up getting fair market compensation, but I then sat on the money. Luckily last year I saw someone riding along side the road and said to myself 'that looks fun!' and decided to get me a bike. Since I'm on the tall side it took a few fittings to get a good bike that fit me. Since I mostly ride on flat trails, I bought another hybrid. Good thing I did because this year stores have sold out of bikes here and there would be no chance of finding one that fits me like this one does.

Now I have been able to ride a couple of times a week in between all my other activities and I really love it. I've even thought of getting a road bike again since I love it so much, but I'll wait till the winter when people are selling them cheap and see what I can find.

I'm kinda dreading winter since I'm not a fan of health clubs, and something like Peloton doesn't make sense for someone of my relatively low fitness level.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 pm

Working from home was a big one. Then driving by airports and seeing planes parked was the kicker.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6763
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 pm

You know I've racked my brain a number of times over this and can't come up with a lightbulb moment. I remember going to a restaurant for a family occasion on 7 March and we were all bumping elbows instead of shaking hands, but nobody was taking it that seriously, and the restaurant was packed. That was my last time in a restaurant for months. Two moments stand out though: going into a supermarket and hearing a robotic recorded announcement about social distancing and thinking it was like something out of a science fiction film, and the moment on 27 March when we were told to stay at home, apart from work, shopping, and excercise and not to travel 2 km from our homes. Things were very different from that day on.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:28 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
I knew on March 13th when the Canadian government announced that they advised against all international travel. The labeling of Covid19 being a pandemic on March 11th didn't seem a huge blow at the point. On the 13th schools were closed in Canada and a few days later most things were locked down. I went out for a birthday party the next day and it was really somber and quiet.

I was planning a trip to Bali leaving March 20th which was obviously cancelled. Thankfully I got a refund for the flight (thank you EVA air), the surf resort that I booked for is holding the deposit for 2 years. The tentative rebooking is March 2021 but I am thinking their is maybe a 20% chance it happens then. Who knows though.

I found it striking and somewhat weird how normal COVID life felt given what kind of dramatic doomsday-esque pictures were being broadcast on the media. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that the media had an agenda and dramatizing COVID served their interests and was generally not to be trusted. I frequently found myself wondering if life in COVID was supposed to feel as normal and uneventful as it is given that everyone else seems to be panicking while I am just continuing business as usual. Or maybe it's not just me? Maybe COVID really is just another bump in the road, and it is business as usual for your average dude as well.


I think for many it has put a damper on the plans of many. For myself, professional and social goals were hindered as the department I wanted to move into at work have been working from home since March and you cannot shadow or network easily during covid. Dating is harder and the lack of physical contact has been challenging, not because I can't but there is a general disapproval to do it in public.

In reality outside of a few places, this pandemic really hasn't created the mass death that was predicted initially and there has been minimal panic from what I have seen. I am sorry for the loss of those who lost loved ones but it hasn't been chaos.
The initial thought was the death toll would be millions and the reality is that death count from covid is just about to hit 1 million and the deaths are slowing and not accelerating. Cases are still as high as ever but the associated mayhem has not materialized and I have still yet to know a single person in the area where I live who has contracted Covid19.


I found it striking and somewhat weird how normal COVID life felt given what kind of dramatic doomsday-esque pictures were being broadcast on the media. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that the media had an agenda and dramatizing COVID served their interests and was generally not to be trusted. I frequently found myself wondering if life in COVID was supposed to feel as normal and uneventful as it is given that everyone else seems to be panicking while I am just continuing business as usual. Or maybe it's not just me? Maybe COVID really is just another bump in the road, and it is business as usual for your average dude as well.

Given this sense of absolute normalcy in the COVID era, up to this point in mid June, I still had no real or otherwise quantifiable indication that anything in the world had actually changed since COVID started given the absence of any kind of lockdown in the US.


The media is definitely fanning the fire of and the public largely will eventually end the social aspect of this pandemic as people simply will not be as scared. The media needs to be the cool heads here and they certainly have not been.

This can be very damaging because the real bad pandemic could be in 10 years and people will remember the reaction to this one and not take the next one seriously. The next one could have a 10-20% mortality and not discriminate based on age or health and having a plan for that people will listen to will be very important.

I would like to see a debate among experts on what action we take forward.

Fauci is clearly a brilliant doctor but I think his positions need to be questioned by other credible professional infectious disease experts, there needs to be a debate. I liked Rand Paul actually questioning him last week and while I know Fauci is right, his recommendations come from the brain of a 79 year old. We are going to shake hands again and probably many of us have started doing it again.

I would like to see him debate someone like Anders Tegnell who is equally knowledgeable and qualified.



Just because you didn’t see the chaos doesn’t meant it wasn’t there. My ex is an MD at a hospital in a major metropolitan area. It absolutely was chaos. Also, you can’t honestly say Covid hasn’t caused chaos for the aviation industry, tourism, retail and so on.

Just last week my moms boss lost both of his brothers. Please stop diminishing this. Your experience is that of a single person and does not apply to anything else. Some people seem completely indifferent to the loss of over 200,000 Americans. As of today, states are once again reporting record numbers of cases, so let’s not act like we’re living in a post-Covid world. Things will not go back to normal for a long time and we can’t analyze all the damage when we’re still in the eye of the storm.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15747
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:25 am

Looking at NY in Google Maps on satellite view and seeing images from April 2020 - no planes at the airports, no cars on the highways or streets. That was surreal.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
LittleFokker
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:32 am

I think for me it was the big trifecta night on March 11th. Hanks testing positive, the NBA having some positive tests and then immediately shutting down the season, and Occupier shutting down flights to Europe. That's when I went from confused, not sure what source to trust, to damn, this is getting real and real quick.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4586
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:47 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Looking at NY in Google Maps on satellite view and seeing images from April 2020 - no planes at the airports, no cars on the highways or streets. That was surreal.


You do know that they edit vehicles out on purpose, right? Google maps has been becoming devoid of cars and planes long before Coronavirus hit.

Airports generally weren't empty, the planes were still parked there. There just wasn't any activity.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8580
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Revelation wrote:
and something like Peloton doesn't make sense for someone of my relatively low fitness level.

Peloton is just too expensive. HOWEVER, I tried it on Sunday and I was amazed and pleased with the different videos they have: beginner, advanced, low impact, high impact, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 80s themed, Latin themed...if it weren't for the fact that I'm looking for a new job (which may end up moving me elsewhere) I would definitely buy one.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1010
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:55 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Looking at NY in Google Maps on satellite view and seeing images from April 2020 - no planes at the airports, no cars on the highways or streets. That was surreal.

All (most of) that stuff is automatically removed as a matter of course these days. They're mapping/interested in the infrastructure, not the transient items which use it.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15747
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:18 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Looking at NY in Google Maps on satellite view and seeing images from April 2020 - no planes at the airports, no cars on the highways or streets. That was surreal.

All (most of) that stuff is automatically removed as a matter of course these days. They're mapping/interested in the infrastructure, not the transient items which use it.


I’m not talking about parked cars in street view, but satellite imagery from above where you see only one or two cars on the expressways and so on.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1010
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:44 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Looking at NY in Google Maps on satellite view and seeing images from April 2020 - no planes at the airports, no cars on the highways or streets. That was surreal.

All (most of) that stuff is automatically removed as a matter of course these days. They're mapping/interested in the infrastructure, not the transient items which use it.


I’m not talking about parked cars in street view, but satellite imagery from above where you see only one or two cars on the expressways and so on.

Yes as said, vehicles are removed from that imagery these days. They're mapping the infrastructure not the transients. As the AI improves, more of the transients are automatically dealt with in a satisfactory way manner.
 
TangoandCash
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:54 pm

When I went to the store in late March and the shelves had gaping holes instead of things like toilet paper, rice, pasta, canned vegetables, and soup. I had seen the pictures on the news, but it didn't sink in until I saw it in person.

Fortunately I keep the pantry pretty well stocked and the toilet paper supply held out until the supply chain (mostly) caught up.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20328
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:51 am

olle wrote:
Around Christmas 2019 I had a meeting with China. They explained what was happening there. We were in Chile at the moment and realized people was locked into their appartments against their will. We desired that Spain february break was impossible.

In December of 2019 I bought extra food in case if a 2 week lockdown based on the news as bloggers were showing people locked into apartments.

By January I was wondering, was I insane as I was ready and buying cake mixes to entertain kids in lockdown. Then I had a day of stuffiness from something I caught from someone, I found out 3 weeks later, he had full Covid19 symptoms. I think because we were both in clean room garb, I had a minimal exposure.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 14194
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:42 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Today with 204 k dead and in the USA and over a million deaths worldwide.

Revelation wrote.

I made a post here just as we were closing in on 65k deaths in the US, which would match the number of US military deaths in Vietnam.

It didn't seem we'd let that happen without making an all out effort to do something about it.

Instead we got the "freedom first" types having their spring outings and then the number of cases and deaths went into overdrive.

WarRI1
This is the ultimate insanity created and caused by the ultimate in poor leaders and his apologists in congress and the rest of the country who follow this Buffoon and his insane ways of non Science, and his belief that I know better than all. I wonder how many of the family members of those 207K dead and counting will vote for any Republicans.
Last edited by WarRI1 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2634
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:59 am

It hasn't. And it won't. Not for a virus with a >98% survival rate. It's really disrespectful to the people suffering from far worse illnesses to be giving it so much attention. My donations will continue to go to medical research that truly needs the funding.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 14194
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:01 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
It hasn't. And it won't. Not for a virus with a >98% survival rate. It's really disrespectful to the people suffering from far worse illnesses to be giving it so much attention. My donations will continue to go to medical research that truly needs the funding.


Look up the meaning of a Pandemic, not a slow killer.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
NYCVIE
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:53 am

I went to South Africa on March 3 for two weeks. JFK was empty when I left, but I departed T1 where LH, OS, AF, and AZ have their JFK ops so I chalked it up to the virus starting to gain traction in Europe. In those two weeks everything changed and when I returned to the US it was a completely different world and that's when it set in.

TTailedTiger wrote:
It hasn't. And it won't. Not for a virus with a >98% survival rate. It's really disrespectful to the people suffering from far worse illnesses to be giving it so much attention. My donations will continue to go to medical research that truly needs the funding.


I probably will never understand why people tout this survival rate without simultaneously recognizing the intense and unprecedented steps almost every society in the world has taken to limit the virus from getting completely out of control... Like we're talking 1 million dead WITH social distancing, border closures, quarantines, and widespread mask usage.
 
T4thH
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:08 am

I have bought a 10x pack of face masks on 01-Jan-2020 in a pharmacy, as 01-Jan is a holiday in Germany, I had to find this one with performing the emergency service. These were the first "medical" face masks, I have ever bought, and I have bought them for someone else, who is most highly possible vulnerable, so not for me.

I have seen the first "information", on 29 or 30-Dec-2020 while I was on Twitter, searching for the former A220 "world" tour, which has had started in China. It was a source Chinese language (an online news paper, I think it was from Taiwan (I do not know the source any more), I used the in Google implemented translator) and there was additional a really small news regarding rumors of an unknown lung illness outbreak in China. I have an according scientific background, I was well aware of the importance.

I got alarmed, when there was the announcement, that the first cases were connected to the "bush meet" market, was not surprised, that it was a coronavirus strain, as I had feared. It did not get better, when it was getting clear, that the infection chains could not any more explained, without spread from human to human.

And now to the question:
I was aware, that this time the world will not get out unharmed, that we have the "pandemic", statistically everyone gets once in his lifetime, when it got clear, that someone can get a spreader, before he or she gets first symptoms. This is the difference to SARS and MERS. The rest is just "waiting".
 
melpax
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: When was the first moment it really hit you how much COVID had hit the world?

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:53 am

Things started getting real here in Melbourne mid-March when panic buying started to happen. Initially it was hand sanitiser & masks purchased en masse by Daigou to send back to China, then the Supermarkets started getting cleaned out. Masks were already in short supply, with people buying what they could for protection against bushfire smoke & the remainder being purchased by Daigou. For a while there, supermarket shopping was like shopping in the Soviet Union, circa 1990. Then pubs, restaurants & gyms were subject to capacity restrictions, before being closed only a week or so later. Was around this time that I started working from home, am expecting to work from home for the remainder of the year at least....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B717fan, Bing [Bot], casinterest, DarkSnowyNight, KPDX, N867DA, N965UW, Palop, par13del, phatfarmlines, PPVRA, tommy1808 and 53 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos