Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Are we nostalgic by design as we get older?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:24 pm

Now in my later 60's and surrounded by similar age group/friends who are very nostalic, me however want none of it and live for the here and now. I should say from the start that I am very fond of my childhood memories but I don't want to wallow in them. I hear "oh things were better then" and such like but I don't agree. My childhood was great, no problems with that, but don't want to continue to relive it each month. Is it the case that as we get old we have more time on hand to reflect and look back at our Wonder Years?
Your thoughts welcome. :)
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

VSMUT

Re: Are we nostalgic by design as we get older?

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:47 pm

In my experience it is cultural. In Anglo-American culture it definitely feels like people get more nostalgic over time. In continental Europe I don't see the same longing for the past. It isn't just nostalgia, you see the same in technology. In the UK they are specially prone to the "it worked for the last 100 years, it will work for the next 100" mantra. You just don't see that in the rest of the world.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Considering Europe’s 20th century history, it’s no wonder they’re not nostalgic. I don’t think it’s nostalgia sometimes, but a lot of change isn’t improvement, just change. We just updated the MS Office products and it’s no better, just new ways to do the same old thing.

Kent350787

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:06 pm

In my mid-50s in Australia, I think the broad answer is yes. Many of the sites I follow are about the past - but I also admit I was a History major when studying.

But then there is a divide between those who are nostalgic and would rather be back there, and those who are nostalgic, but still fully engaged in the modern world and comfortable with change.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Ken777

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 am

Some tings are far better these days - advances in health care and computers are two simple examples. Some things are worse - especially when production is concerned. Take a simple comb - I remember the old Ace comb that lasted until you lost it and was always comfortable to use. Now you get cheap China crap that can scratch your skin when you use it.

Clothing quality is lower than I was used to. I sold mid priced suits when going through uni and the stuff out today is not as well made as "back then". There is one odd difference, however. The drop is wearing suits these days means that the price of wool has gone down. You basic suit from, say, Jos A Banks hs an very good wool at a cheap price. If the suit fits then you actually get a good deal.

I've also noticed that furniture (especially wood furniture) doesn't have the same furniture as the "old days". Cheaper construction from lower labor investments in products.

luckyone

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:49 am

Nostalgia has less to do with cultural events, and more to do with the fact that people miss not having to worry. Particularly by the time people get to be in their late 40s/early 50s, they are what they are. By far they’ve more or less done what they are going to do in terms of education and profession. There isn’t necessarily something else to strive for. Many of them are looking at empty houses with no kids, retirement, health problems, caring for aging and/or ill parents and starting to plan their own estates themselves. Simply put, they miss the simplicity of being a carefree child and an ignorant adolescent and young adult when somebody else was doing the worrying, where none of these concerns are staring them in the face every day. The time in which that occurred is largely incidental.

I, personally, have not hit a stage in my life where I think times were better. While not at all abusive, the homogenous exurban world of my childhood had absolutely no idea what to do with a kid who enjoyed reading and learning, and played sports other than football—and it was pretty miserable sometimes because my parents had very little ability to acknowledge they could have helped me find other outlets for my interests. So I don’t really miss that. The time in my life that I miss the most is a period of medical school where I moved to a new town where none of that history or feeling out of place followed me, was FINALLY around a lot of people who were driven in the same ways that I was and we challenged each other. But I don’t really think the times were any different then, just my role in the world was.

mad99

Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:56 am

Ken777 wrote:
Some tings are far better these days - advances in health care and computers are two simple examples. Some things are worse - especially when production is concerned. Take a simple comb - I remember the old Ace comb that lasted until you lost it and was always comfortable to use. Now you get cheap China crap that can scratch your skin when you use it.

Clothing quality is lower than I was used to. I sold mid priced suits when going through uni and the stuff out today is not as well made as "back then". There is one odd difference, however. The drop is wearing suits these days means that the price of wool has gone down. You basic suit from, say, Jos A Banks hs an very good wool at a cheap price. If the suit fits then you actually get a good deal.

I've also noticed that furniture (especially wood furniture) doesn't have the same furniture as the "old days". Cheaper construction from lower labor investments in products.

People don’t know the value of things, they want it cheap even if they have to replace it every year.

The mistake is thinking that the stuff coming from china is cheap. Go find an online camera in China, why is the sky grey? Because the burn old tyres to create cheap energy.