Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sokes

Re: Trump and Melania test positive for COVID 19

Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:42 am

Any news about the disinfectant idea? Did they get it working?

scbriml

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:33 am

Sokes wrote:

They're still working on how to inject daylight inside his body, but the bleach is working.

flipdewaf

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:40 am

scbriml wrote:
Sokes wrote:

They're still working on how to inject daylight inside his body, but the bleach is working.

Some of the posts on this site you’d think the daylight emanated from his body already.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scbriml

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:44 am

Arion640 wrote:
BJ said he came very close to being sedated needing a ventilator.

So in his own words again. He was only in intensive care for three nights as a precaution and didn't need a ventilator. He wasn't at death's door, however much he wants you to think that.

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:45 am

In the 200+ years' history of the United States, has a sitting presidient or candidate every been incapacitated coming up to, or during, an election? If so, has it affected the vote (in the sense of being cancelled/postponed)? The run-up to November looks like being very boring now.

Aesma

Re: Hope Hicks Tests Positive for COVID

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am

I can't say I would mourn Trump's passing if COVID killed him, and it would be a welcome wake up call for many, however in that case it might help his ticket win, and Pence as president, no thank you.

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:36 am

NYCVIE wrote:
This is so crazy actually. In theory if Trump and Pence have had any contact in the last few days Nancy Pelosi might also have to go into isolation :o

Obviously the chances of it getting to that point are virtually nil, but out of interest who is #4 in line? Is it the President Pro Tempore of the Senate?

Kiwirob

Re: Hope Hicks. President Trump and wife all test positive for COVID

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:10 am

Since he’s old and obese are they going to start planning a state funeral instead of his Inauguration??

ltbewr

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 am

My first reaction in finding out Trump and wife #3 are infected with Covid-19 is one of perverse joy. I hope Trump and a few others around him suffers from it enough to force a 'come to Jesus' moment and totally change his attitude and handling of the Covid-19 pandemic by his administration and followers. Sadly this possible change will be too late for millions who have suffered and most of the 207,000 + who have died from it. God works in mysterious ways.

Braybuddy wrote:
In the 200+ years' history of the United States, has a sitting president or candidate every been incapacitated coming up to, or during, an election? If so, has it affected the vote (in the sense of being cancelled/postponed)? The run-up to November looks like being very boring now.

Likely Franklin Roosevelt when he ran for his 4th term in 1944 as he died only a few months into that term in 1945 (April 12th). That is one reason why the Constitution was amended to place a limit of 2 terms (8 years) for a President. Campaigns were much different then and due to WWII at its peak were limited for practical reasons. FDR also had Polio that further limited his ability to campaign. One possible affect may have been to change his VP for his 1944 campaign to Sen. Truman although that was more for political reasons.

For sure it will suspend all campaign activities not only of Trump but also Biden for at least the next week as people around both of them were exposed. I will likely cause a delay or cancellation of one or more of the remaining 'debates' including for the VP. Who know how this will effect the campaign, but more importantly, it means both the President and VP as well as 3rd in line Speaker Pelosi could be sufficiently incapacitated to put our government in a major crises.

marcelh

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:25 am

Newark727 wrote:
alberchico wrote:
So the next debate is cancelled ?

We can only hope so, right?

It would help Trump when the next debate is cancelled.

marcelh

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 am

Only the Russians have - at least they believe they have - a vaccin. Maybe Trump can ask his buddy Putin to get some.....

jetwet1

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:34 am

Time to test the Clorox + hydroxychloroquine therapy right ?

N757ST

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:40 am

marcelh wrote:
Only the Russians have - at least they believe they have - a vaccin. Maybe Trump can ask his buddy Putin to get some.....

You obviously don’t really know how vaccines work... do you.

marcelh

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:49 am

N757ST wrote:
marcelh wrote:

I do actually, but more important: does Trump know?
But I get it, jokes and sarcasm aren’t allowed here.

art

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:03 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Hope Hicks, personal advisor to Trump who frequently travels with him in close proximity sans mask, has tested positive. No word yet on Trump plans to self quarantine (here's hoping he does for all of our sakes), and neither of his upcoming rallies have been canceled yet.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... r-covid-19

Sorry, do not have time to read all responses but I have this question: now that Trump has been infected, will more of his cult following reconsider their behaviour and take steps to limit the spread of this virus (masking and distancing)?

flyingclrs727

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:06 am

vrbarreto wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:
Hopes and prayers of course. I wonder if his followers still think it’s a hoax. I’m not religious but sometimes...

It's quite possible that Hope gave it to him.. Will he be trying his suggested cures?

Why not? The CDC doesn't have a single therapy recommended to treat people with newly diagnosed COVID-19 infections. I'd rather take hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and an antibiotic for 5 days than do nothing.

Mortyman

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:09 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

Frankly I don't think he'd ever admit to having it so I'm guessing this is a setup.

Nothing would surprise me anymore

dragon-wings

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:12 am

I am shocked!.......Shocked that it took this long for him to get it! He doesn't social distant and doesn't wear a mask. I mean no one should be surprised he got Covid.

flyingclrs727

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:24 am

marcelh wrote:
N757ST wrote:
marcelh wrote:

I do actually, but more important: does Trump know?
But I get it, jokes and sarcasm aren’t allowed here.

Considering the number of people the President, Vice President, cabinet, White House staff and others around the President are in contact with, they would have made excellent vaccine trial test subjects. Given President Trump's age, risk of coming in contact with infected people, and other factors, I might have considered having him vaccinated but not actually part of a vaccine trial.

dtw2hyd

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:40 am

COVID-19 is complacency's plus one. Biden should have worn the mask for the debate. Zoom debates are a better option going forward.

There is no official data but in my unprofessional anecdotal observation, people practice unhealthy living style are faring better than those practice healthy lifestyle in coping with COVID-19.

Hope Trump and First Lady will get better soon. It is going to be a nightmare for WH staff keeping him in quarantine.

Klaus

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:53 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
COVID-19 is complacency's plus one. Biden should have worn the mask for the debate. Zoom debates are a better option going forward.

Me wearing a mask protects others from my viruses (if I have any) much more than it protects me from other people's.

So Trump would have been the one needing to wear one even more than Biden in the debate.

(Well, actually a gag would have been even more appropriate! ;) )

And this also means Trump himself may already have been infecting his followers in the front rows of his rallies for a few days by now!

emperortk

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:56 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
There is no official data but in my unprofessional anecdotal observation, people practice unhealthy living style are faring better than those practice healthy lifestyle in coping with COVID-19.

I don't know what you mean when you say unhealthy lifestyle, but there actually is plenty of evidence that obesity, one byproduct of unhealthy living, is strongly correlated with worse outcomes with COVID-19.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

Klaus

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Just an aside: Melania will likely have a lower risk not just because of being younger and fitter, but actually already from being a woman as men tend to suffer more severely from COVID than women do, on top of Trump's other risk factors.

flipdewaf

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Klaus wrote:
(Well, actually a gag would have been even more appropriate! ;) )

I think he left it with Stormy...

dtw2hyd

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Klaus wrote:
Me wearing a mask protects others from my viruses (if I have any) much more than it protects me from other people's.

That is half-hearted misinformation spread by self-serving healthcare community. Let's not go there because that discussion doesn't belong on this thread.

Had the authorities educated Americans soon enough about the importance of masks, we will be wearing better quality 3M N95s, than the cloth masks or cheap Chinese stuff on eBay.

Mask protects both ways. One can debate "protects" in the terms of percentage of virus dose.

bennett123

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Taken from BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54382914

Posted at 12:4212:42
What would happen if Trump became incapacitated?

Reality Check

For now, President Trump is not reported to be unwell, but if he did become too ill to carry out his duties, this is what the US constitution sets out:

The 25th Amendment allows a president to hand over power to his vice-president, which means Mike Pence would become acting president. Once fit again, Trump could then reclaim his position.

This happened during both the Ronald Reagan and George W Bush administrations.

If the president was too unwell to hand over power, the cabinet and vice-president could declare that he was unable to continue, and Pence would assume the role.

If Pence became incapacitated as well, under the Presidential Succession Act Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the House of Representatives - a Democrat - would be next in line, although constitutional experts say such a transfer of power would prompt legal battles.

If she were unwilling or unable to take on the role, it would be handed to a senior Republican Senator, currently the 87-year-old Charles E Grassley. This too would almost certainly face legal challenges.

This was the bit that caught my eye;

'If Pence became incapacitated as well, under the Presidential Succession Act Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the House of Representatives - a Democrat - would be next in line, although constitutional experts say such a transfer of power would prompt legal battles'.

Nancy Pelosi as Acting President, his head would explode.

c933103

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Ken777 wrote:
Incubation time for the virus is 5 to 14 days. That is going to impact Trump's schedule big time.

If he tests positive and is lucky he will just leave the quarantine feeling very tired - maybe for a long time.

If the is not lucky he will end up ij an ICU and maybe even get a ventilator. Odds are pretty slim that he'll he in the unlucky group, but a month in an induced coma would pretty well screw up his relection plans - especially as "Acting President" Pence will be running things.

One simple question - if Trump is in a coma with a. ventalator and then "Acting President" Pence end up in the same position who becomes "Acting President"? The Speaker of the House? Nancy Pelosi? :rotfl:

Don't forget ICU rate varies according to age.

c933103

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:51 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
Two nights after the debate. Could Biden have it too?

Not likely; they were socially distanced, and neither camp had any close interactions. Both also used separate entrances and facilities.

Risk of aerosol transmission
How well ventilated was the venue?

c933103

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:55 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Possible advantages for Trump:

Doesn’t have to suffer two more embarrassing debate performances

Can claim some increase in sympathy vote

If he gets over it quickly he can boast how strong and healthy he is

He could use it to make a dramatic policy shift and take the pandemic seriously, doubt it though

He could put Mike Pence into a prominent campaign role which may swing some voters to the ticket

Less appearances mean less controversial comments.

There’s a chance he could’ve infected Biden too, there was enough hot air coming out of his mouth he could’ve infected the whole room

Possible disadvantages for Trump:

Biden gets a big “health” boost (assuming he remains negative)

Trump can’t attend rallies being cheered on by his supporters, the only real positive he’s getting at the moment

Trump has no chance to appear more presidential and serious at the next debate at least

Makes all his previous COVID statement look ridiculous (although those who think that have known it for a long time)

Biden gains the schadenfreude vote

Using this as a chance to make dramatic policy shift will make it appears as not respecting those millions who have been infected before him

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:58 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Taken from BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54382914

Posted at 12:4212:42
What would happen if Trump became incapacitated?

Reality Check

For now, President Trump is not reported to be unwell, but if he did become too ill to carry out his duties, this is what the US constitution sets out:

The 25th Amendment allows a president to hand over power to his vice-president, which means Mike Pence would become acting president. Once fit again, Trump could then reclaim his position.

This happened during both the Ronald Reagan and George W Bush administrations.

If the president was too unwell to hand over power, the cabinet and vice-president could declare that he was unable to continue, and Pence would assume the role.

If Pence became incapacitated as well, under the Presidential Succession Act Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the House of Representatives - a Democrat - would be next in line, although constitutional experts say such a transfer of power would prompt legal battles.

If she were unwilling or unable to take on the role, it would be handed to a senior Republican Senator, currently the 87-year-old Charles E Grassley. This too would almost certainly face legal challenges.

This was the bit that caught my eye;

'If Pence became incapacitated as well, under the Presidential Succession Act Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the House of Representatives - a Democrat - would be next in line, although constitutional experts say such a transfer of power would prompt legal battles'.

I'm intrigued by the comment about promoting legal battles. Why? The Succession Act seems pretty clear cut?

The only thing I can think of to be challenged would be the act of handing over authority to the Speaker while the Vice President is alive. The 25th Amendment says that the VP and Cabinet can declare the President incapacitated, and the VP becomes Acting President, but I guess is silent on what happens if the VP is incapacitated. Logic says the Cabinet can make that declaration, but I don't think that's written down anywhere.

casinterest

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Wow things changed a bit overnight. I wonder how deep into the White House staff this is? What about the Air Force 1 and Marine 1 staffs?

Going to be a crazy few weeks going forward logistically.

N583JB

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:09 pm

art wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
Hope Hicks, personal advisor to Trump who frequently travels with him in close proximity sans mask, has tested positive. No word yet on Trump plans to self quarantine (here's hoping he does for all of our sakes), and neither of his upcoming rallies have been canceled yet.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... r-covid-19

Sorry, do not have time to read all responses but I have this question: now that Trump has been infected, will more of his cult following reconsider their behaviour and take steps to limit the spread of this virus (masking and distancing)?

Depends on how well the President fares. To be sure, he'll have full access to any experimental treatments that most normal people couldn't get. He'll have the best doctors in the country monitoring him and treating him. If Trump were an average person he'd probably be in trouble, but as the President of the United States he will likely be fine.

In two weeks when he emerges triumphant, his followers will likely claim "see, it isn't that bad after all" and "it is just a cold", completely ignoring the fact that very few people have access to the medical care that the President has. This will likely just embolden the spreadnecks.

NIKV69

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:11 pm

stl07 wrote:
I love when all the anti-maskers test positive. Our governor here in MO just tested positive and spread it to a nursing home

This is what our discourse has devolved to.

bennett123 wrote:

As would the country.

dragon-wings wrote:
I am shocked!.......Shocked that it took this long for him to get it! He doesn't social distant and doesn't wear a mask. I mean no one should be surprised he got Covid.

Nope it isn't a surprise. He should have thought about the fact he had to prevent himself from getting Covid19 and he put us at risk. This may be what brings him down. Not a good time for this country.

dtw2hyd

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Well they have the best science and technology has to offer, hopefully he will be able to deal with the thought of President Pelosi.

SL1200MK2

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:29 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
I love when all the anti-maskers test positive. Our governor here in MO just tested positive and spread it to a nursing home

bennett123 wrote:

As would the country.

dragon-wings wrote:

Nope it isn't a surprise. He should have thought about the fact he had to prevent himself from getting Covid19 and he put us at risk. This may be what brings him down. Not a good time for this country.

Actually, the past few hours it seems like more people are elated than upset and that things are starting to look up.

Aesma

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:36 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Klaus wrote:

That is half-hearted misinformation spread by self-serving healthcare community. Let's not go there because that discussion doesn't belong on this thread.

Had the authorities educated Americans soon enough about the importance of masks, we will be wearing better quality 3M N95s, than the cloth masks or cheap Chinese stuff on eBay.

Mask protects both ways. One can debate "protects" in the terms of percentage of virus dose.

Wearing the surgical/cloth ones all day is difficult already, we wouldn't do it with N95 ones. Also the cost is not the same at all.

c933103

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:38 pm

dragon-wings wrote:

I remember hearing him saying his personal coronavirus prevention plan involve letting everyone around him wear mask but not himself. Which sort of make sense as masks are more effective at reducing virus from potential carrier. But such strategy obviously doesn't work when someone else around him also isn't wearing mask.

NIKV69

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:02 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:

Actually, the past few hours it seems like more people are elated than upset and that things are starting to look up.

Oh sure they are the same ones hoping that bad things happen to our president so they can get power. It truly is sickening but where our discourse has gone.

casinterest

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:12 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

Oh sure they are the same ones hoping that bad things happen to our president so they can get power. It truly is sickening but where our discourse has gone.

you are the one that said the country would explode with Pelosi as president, so don't count yourself out of the "same ones" category.

wingman

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:25 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I wouldn't use the term love but there's certainly a sense of justice when people that deny science and encourage others to wantonly spread disease suddenly get smacked upside the head by science. Bullies and idiots usually get their due and he has.

CitizenJustin

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:38 pm

I like Presidents who don’t get Coronavirus.

Boeing757100

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm not a fan of Trump or Biden, or any of their actions in the past, but still shocking for sure! Does he have any previous health conditions?

Newark727

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Trump or Biden, or any of their actions in the past, but still shocking for sure! Does he have any previous health conditions?

Depends on who you ask. I still remember the fishy health report released in 2016 that claimed, in typical Trump hyperbole, that he was the HEALTHIEST MAN EVER TO SEEK THE PRESIDENCY, but it's a job that ages you fast and people are happy to armchair diagnose him will all sorts of things.

skyservice_330

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:04 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to POTUS and FLOTUS

The optics of this, politically, can't be understated. After months of 'playing it down', being skeptical (if not mocking) of mask wearing, and being sarcastic (he admitted to this in the debate) when the matter called for seriousness - the President has contracted COVID-19.

This is the 1940's equivalent of 'the Germans have made it into the Oval Office' after months of a President telling the people not to worry about the mass of boats accumulating on the Eastern seaboard - 'they will disappear when the weather changes'

Again, prayers for those that have been impacted

dtw2hyd

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:11 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

I see what you did there, good one.

Any details on how adults are handling the situation in the house. Clorox is not a friend of vintage furniture.

Revelation

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Ken777 wrote:
The First Lady should do better than Trump.

I know! According to NYT he's not even rich!

vrbarreto wrote:
Anyway he will have the best treatment possible so no chance of him being denied the best treatment possible..

The virus doesn't care.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Klaus wrote:

:checkmark:

Great time to reconsider Trump's early handling of the disease, where he tells us it's under control and no worse than a flu while he tells Bob Woodward he knows it's deadly.

alfa164

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:18 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Reality has an amazing ability to run up and punch you in the face......

:checkmark: Exactly! After months and months of denying, downplaying, and disregarding the warnings and sound advice of reputable medical experts, the chickens have come home to roost. I don't think anyone is gloating about it, but there is - there has to be - a certain amount of schadenfreude among anyone who is not a follower in his cult of lemmings. And deplorables.

NIKV69 wrote:
This may be what brings him down. Not a good time for this country.

Au contraire, on both fronts. This isn't what brings him down; his own hubris, ineptitude, belligerence, and narcissism had already put him racing into the category of "past Presidents". Thus the desperate attempts at ballot disinformation, voter suppression, and scare tactics in an attempt to keep his opponents from the polls. And - at least in the eyes of a majority of voters - it will be a very good time for the country. This nation was already ready for a change; Trump's avoidable illness changes nothing.

wingman wrote:
I wouldn't use the term love but there's certainly a sense of justice when people that deny science and encourage others to wantonly spread disease suddenly get smacked upside the head by science. Bullies and idiots usually get their due and he has.

:checkmark: :checkmark: I will repeat: the chickens have come home to roost.

CitizenJustin wrote:

This.... has to be the comment of the day!

;)

Francoflier

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:23 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

Are you actually surprised by this?

We are talking about a man that only opens his mouth to antagonize people, foster anger, hatred and division and who has multiple times either failed to condemn violence or suggested it himself.
Then there's the irony of him continually trying to play down the virus while thousands of Americans were dying from it as he was golfing in his private club.

Do you think as many people would have reacted with amusement or complete lack of care if the president had instead been a respectable, humble and caring individual, whichever political side he was from?

Also, please don't try to pretend that you wouldn't be dancing on the table if (when?) Biden gets it.

seb146

Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:45 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

For that, one would have to look no further than right wing media starting in 1992 and getting worse and worse sense. I love how righties bully and lie but when their candidates get a taste of their own medicine, they call for civility.

I think he is faking. He refused to denounce racists groups and sees the backlash. He knows he lost the debate so he has to bring focus back to him. All this talk all these months about a fake virus and him constantly golfing and on vacation while Americans die and masks are evil and so on and so forth. But, now, his own doctor says he has the covid but isn't this the same guy who keeps saying he is the healthiest, thinnest, best shape president ever?

GDB

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:05 pm