Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy

Re: Hope Hicks. President Trump and wife all test positive for COVID

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:15 pm

So what have Trump, Johnson and Bolsonaro have in common?

Besides being the populis leader of their country?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

GDB

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
So what have Trump, Johnson and Bolsonaro have in common?

Besides being the populis leader of their country?

Aside from being nasty pieces of work and not too bright, the obvious is that the nations they are running have done much worse in this pandemic than they should have.
Some thought that Johnson, after his brush with COVID, might grow up. Some hope, he's as useless (and nasty when this is pointed out far more politely than I just have), as ever.

The one difference? Johnson never played down let alone denied the virus.
However, he is a 'superblamespreader' as his government's failings threaten their and his future, large majority or not (on 43% of the vote), Track and Trace has been a farce, largely due to it being sourced to crony companies with ties to the Tories and Cummings, such public health experts like dodgy auditing companies and outsourcers with a long history of being fined for poor performance, which when they fail Johnson calls 'the NHS'.

Arion640

Re: Trump and Melania test positive for COVID 19

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
BJ said he came very close to being sedated needing a ventilator.

So in his own words again. He was only in intensive care for three nights as a precaution and didn't need a ventilator. He wasn't at death's door, however much he wants you to think that.

The nurse from New Zealand who looked after him at the time said he was close to critical when interviewed on TV.

ER757

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:03 pm

While I am no fan of Mr. Trump and hope he is soundly defeated in the election, I don't wish illness on anyone - it's bad karma.
Only positive I see is that it's likely the next debates will be cancelled. After the clown show the other night, that's a blessing for the country.

casinterest

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Mike Lee (R-Utah) has it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/519 ... oronavirus

I am starting to think RBG has successfully argued her first case in the court up high. :bouncy: :duck:

Seriously though, hopefully all have a speedy recovery.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

alfa164

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Arion640 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
BJ said he came very close to being sedated needing a ventilator.

So in his own words again. He was only in intensive care for three nights as a precaution and didn't need a ventilator. He wasn't at death's door, however much he wants you to think that.

The nurse from New Zealand who looked after him at the time said he was close to critical when interviewed on TV.

Here's an fittng comment from Dr. Bharat Pankhania, who advises Johnson's government on communicable disease control:

“We need politicians, especially politicians like President Trump who has a lot of power and influence, to take this seriously and to support their scientists and clinicians in leading the outbreak management, rather than have political influence in trying to deny that this virus is in circulation and drag your feet around control measures because it suited your agenda.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02/trump-coronavirus-world-reacts-424999
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

alfa164

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:08 pm

casinterest wrote:
I am starting to think RBG has successfully argued her first case in the court up high. :bouncy: :duck:

It couldn't happen to a more deserving individual.

;)

art

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:11 pm

GDB wrote:

Anyway, as Trump pointed out last week, the virus “affects virtually nobody”, and has currently only affected 200,000 American nobodies to death.

I do like a writer with a touch of wit about them.

alfa164

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:29 pm

ER757 wrote:
Only positive I see is that it's likely the next debates will be cancelled. After the clown show the other night, that's a blessing for the country.

His snide attempt to belittle Biden in the debate: "I don't wear a mask like him. Every time I see him, he's got a mask".

That's come back to haunt him...

;)

alfa164

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

art wrote:
GDB wrote:

Anyway, as Trump pointed out last week, the virus “affects virtually nobody”, and has currently only affected 200,000 American nobodies to death.

I do like a writer with a touch of wit about them.

Not just that; the whole paragraph is as iconic as it is ironic:

"Anyway, as Trump pointed out last week, the virus “affects virtually nobody”, and has currently only affected 200,000 American nobodies to death. Arguably the real victims here are the president’s MAGA disciples, who are devoted to him but also don’t believe the virus even exists. Trump being officially diagnosed with it is category 5 cognitive dissonance – a logical contradiction so intense it could crash their circuitry, causing them to immediately lay down their assault rifles and open a chain of abortion clinics."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/02/trump-joked-covid-president-diagnosis-maga-virus

It will be interesting to see how the Biden campaign responds to Trump's Coronavirus claim. It is telling that not everyone believes it; our trust in this administration has fallen so far that we can't ever take anything it says at face value. The next 10 days will be critical - both for Trump's campaign and for Trump himself - and the Pence/Harris debate falls right in the middle of that. It will probably take on increased importance, and - hopefully - will be big full contrast to Herr Trump's sh*tshow on his first round.

Mortyman

Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Meadows confirms the White House knew Hicks was positive before POTUS traveled

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-n ... 401aba5617

Aloha717200

Re: Hope Hicks Tests Positive for COVID

Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:00 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:

Actually, the past few hours it seems like more people are elated than upset and that things are starting to look up.

Oh sure they are the same ones hoping that bad things happen to our president so they can get power. It truly is sickening but where our discourse has gone.

For that, one would have to look no further than right wing media starting in 1992 and getting worse and worse sense. I love how righties bully and lie but when their candidates get a taste of their own medicine, they call for civility.

I think he is faking. He refused to denounce racists groups and sees the backlash. He knows he lost the debate so he has to bring focus back to him. All this talk all these months about a fake virus and him constantly golfing and on vacation while Americans die and masks are evil and so on and so forth. But, now, his own doctor says he has the covid but isn't this the same guy who keeps saying he is the healthiest, thinnest, best shape president ever?

This. All of this. It would be amusing if it wasn't so sad that Trump supporters always seem to have a double standard when it comes to things like this. Their guy can bully, lie, destroy, cheat, and gaslight all he wants and cost thousands of people their very lives in service of his re-election ..but when people feel happy that this narcissist is getting a dose of karma, suddenly everyone else is the bad guy.

Trump and his supporters have a serious case of victim complex.

He got what he deserved. Full stop.

Revelation

Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Meadows confirms the White House knew Hicks was positive before POTUS traveled

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-n ... 401aba5617

NYT reports today:

In a systematic review of seven studies published in May, researchers at Johns Hopkins University analyzed how long this process typically takes. They found that the most widely used test, called a P.C.R. test, was most likely to come back positive eight days after an exposure to the virus, which tended to coincide with a person’s third day of symptoms. Still, even on this ideal day, the tests came back negative on average in 20 percent of people who later tested positive.

Ref: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/opin ... biden.html

So Drumpf could have had the virus eight days ago, would not have known anything till five days ago, tests would not have picked it up till right now.

Your CNN link says:

Pressed by CNN’s Joe Johns on the timing of when the White House learned Hope Hicks had tested positive, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows conceded that people knew of her positive diagnosis before Marine One took off for New Jersey on Thursday afternoon for a fundraiser.

Some staffers, he said, were pulled from Marine One, raising further questions about why the trip proceeded, the President coming into contact with numerous supporters at his Bedminster club.

"I’m not going to get into the tick tock. I can tell you, in terms of Hope Hicks, we discovered that right as the Marine One was taking off yesterday," Meadows said. "We actually pulled some of the people that have been traveling and in close contact. The reason why it was reported out, just frankly, is that we had already started to contact tracing just prior to that event,” he said.

I bet a lot of rich Trumpistas are signing up for tests as we speak.

Hopefully the government slaps a quarantine order on the golf club too.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

dtw2hyd

Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Revelation wrote:
So Drumpf could have had the virus eight days ago, would not have known anything till five days ago, tests would not have picked it up till right now.

That is the issue with these tests, by the time asymptomatic to confirmed positive, damage is already done, carrier spread to as many as possible.
Some universities suggested testing students every other day for safe in-seat instruction, we all not that is not going to happen.

At least the superspreader events AKA rallies are history for this election season.
All posts are just opinions.

casinterest

Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:57 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Revelation wrote:

That is the issue with these tests, by the time asymptomatic to confirmed positive, damage is already done, carrier spread to as many as possible.
Some universities suggested testing students every other day for safe in-seat instruction, we all not that is not going to happen.

At least the superspreader events AKA rallies are history for this election season.

I am a bit worried as states like FL, NC, and others have opened up Bars, Theatres , and Restaurants.

NC should be fun to watch for 3-4 weeks from Today.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Toenga

Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Very unfortunate, the last thing the world needs, and particularly the US needs, is a decrease in stability.
For this reason I wish that his foolishness is not punished by anything much more then one hell of a fright, and two or three weeks of isolation and "light duties"

GDB

Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Apparently the GOP Senator who reported being diagnosed with it today has a history of mocking Democrats for believing in science.
Should be true to apparent beliefs then and spurn medical help and have a good pray.
Of course he won't, his type never do, all that anti science/culture wars crap is to fire up the 'base'.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
In the 200+ years' history of the United States, has a sitting presidient or candidate every been incapacitated coming up to, or during, an election? If so, has it affected the vote (in the sense of being cancelled/postponed)? The run-up to November looks like being very boring now.
Edith Wilson, wife of Woodrow Wilson basically took over when her husband had a stroke. The public was not told of the seriousness of his stroke. She took over the last 18 months of his term. He was not nominated to run again nor did he try to seek another term due to his health. So it's not the same. so much for transparency, even back then. I would imagine to save face, the president will not let on, if the virus kicks his butt. The good news is Pence has tested negative.

alfa164

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:09 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
The good news is Pence has tested negative.

Is that good news? Pence is as much a slimeball as Herr Trump.... just slicker...

Revelation

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:15 pm

GDB wrote:
Apparently the GOP Senator who reported being diagnosed with it today has a history of mocking Democrats for believing in science.
Should be true to apparent beliefs then and spurn medical help and have a good pray.
Of course he won't, his type never do, all that anti science/culture wars crap is to fire up the 'base'.

It's a sign of the times that there are so many people willing to ignore science when it interferes with their chosen agenda.

Unfortunately we have to share a planet with them.

As written earlier, no matter how hard you try, you can't gaslight a virus.

LH658

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:35 pm

what if it's stunt for Trump and Co. to get sympathy votes?

flipdewaf

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Toenga wrote:
Very unfortunate, the last thing the world needs, and particularly the US needs, is a decrease in stability.
For this reason I wish that his foolishness is not punished by anything much more then one hell of a fright, and two or three weeks of isolation and "light duties"

I agree, the world needs stability but I think that if the overgrown bully who is kicking it disappeared then it would probably help that stability.

Does anyone know how dangerous fake coronavirus actually is?

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aesma

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:40 pm

If he's a goner and wins the election post mortem thanks to sympathy vote or renewed Democratic apathy, is Pence basically elected President, or would there need to be some additional steps ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aloha717200

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Aesma wrote:
If he's a goner and wins the election post mortem thanks to sympathy vote or renewed Democratic apathy, is Pence basically elected President, or would there need to be some additional steps ?

I believe Pence becomes president and then has to nominate a Vice President.

ItnStln

Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Aloha717200 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

My understanding is that is how it works.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:09 pm

alfa164 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
The good news is Pence has tested negative.

Is that good news? Pence is as much a slimeball as Herr Trump.... just slicker...

Yes, that's good news. Politics aside.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:14 pm

LH658 wrote:

lot of people highly suspect this is a publicity stunt. The new job report came out, Trump lost -3.9 million jobs since he's been in office.
Obama created 463k and Bush lost -605k https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/02/economy/ ... index.html

this is the worse it's ever been going all the way back to 1939 . Don't count on anybody really having much sympathy when it hit them in the pocketbook.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Pres. Trump to be transferred to Walter Reed Medcial Center (operated by the US Army, the normal place where Presidents go for medical care).
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgdhp
This may be a precaution, perhaps his symptoms have got worse, or perhaps to monitor treatments. Pres. Trump has also been give an experimental antibody treatment/

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:56 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Pres. Trump to be transferred to Walter Reed Medcial Center (operated by the US Army, the normal place where Presidents go for medical care).
This may be a precaution, perhaps his symptoms have got worse, or perhaps to monitor treatments. Pres. Trump has also been give an experimental antibody treatment/

Does anyone remember how Clinton's fainting episode filled the media's coverage for days on end?

I wonder if Trump will be given the same courtesy...low energy, lethargic...one report said he was "fatigued"...I would say karma's catching up with 2015 and 2016 items.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Newark727

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:13 pm

LH658 wrote:

Would be a puzzling move, given that Trump's whole public persona is based on projecting this pseudo-strongman image.

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:18 pm

ItnStln wrote:
Aloha717200 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

My understanding is that is how it works.

Not quite.

Given that ballots have already been printed and voting has begun, the election carries on as is.

Let's assume Trump dies (or becomes incapacitated) before the election and somehow manages to eke out a win. There will be a mixture of cases from different states. Some states may allow their electors to switch their votes to whoever the party selects as their subsequent nominee; other states bind the electors to the ballot name. MI and IN are two cases of this: MI binds the electors to the person on the ballot; IN allows the party to nominate someone else and instructs their electors to switch the vote as if that person had been on the ballot.

This may end up costing Trump many EC votes because of the patchwork of laws and no Constitutional guidance (it's up to the States).

Let's assume Trump wins the election but dies before the EC gets together to cast their votes. The patchwork of laws still poses the same problem as before.

Let's now assume the EC votes but the results are not yet read by Congress, and Trump passes away. There is no guidance on what needs to happen here. The Joint Session will read the certificates but objections may arise given that the person elected is dead...the state's vote for president may be discarded. This is, obviously, assuming that Trump retains all his EC votes If the case from before happens, then he would not get the 270 needed (some states switch to Pence while others force the electors to vote Trump) so the House would be taken to consider the top 3 vote getters.

Pence would be duly elected as VP in all scenarios so on January 20 he would be sworn in as VP (even though by then he would have been sworn in as president given the order of succession) and then he would be allowed to re-ascend as president.

His VP would then be subjected to confirmation by Congress.

So yes...Pence becomes president...but for this election, he'd be elected VP only to ascend the presidency...which seems like a loophole to serve as president forever, now that I think about it. There are no limits to reelecting a VP, no condition that says they cannot be a former president, and there is nothing barring a previous VP from ascending to the presidency as many times as they can. The amendment only says "elected"; not "sworn in".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

c933103

Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:19 pm

Aesma wrote:

From an explanation I have seen, what really matter seems to be the election college vote, if Trump died before that then Republic party could nominate a new person and then make those in the election college picked by Republican party vote for the new nominee, else Pence would be the VP substituting the dead President and get to pick his VP, but if Trump died after election college vote and before electoral vote being counted before Congress when Congress are supposed to certify the result, and then the House and Senate couldn't agree on the result, then a special process from Congress based on the Twelfth Amendment will be used to decide who is going to be the President and VP.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

Ken777

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Trump's move to Walter Reed so they can respond to changes in a very rapid manner. Oxygen levels in his blood (PulsaOx) can fall dramatically and that is one of the prime reasons why older people leave the hospital feet first. While he is experiencing "mild symptoms" doctors discussing this say it is common at the start it is also known that high risk patients Canmore to a critical condition very fast.

Does anyone remember how Clinton's fainting episode filled the media's coverage for days on end?

I wonder if Trump will be given the same courtesy...low energy, lethargic...one report said he was "fatigued"...I would say karma's catching up with 2015 and 2016 items.

Trump has set himself up for a lot of print attacking him because of how he has treated the "little people" sick & dying from the virus. He. is clearly part of the problem and "courtesy" is a word that he doesn't understand.

Personally I hope he gets through alive, but also hope he experiences the same levels of illness that the little people have suffered through. Maybe he will then learn the meaning of the word "empathy"

Revelation

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:10 pm

Newark727 wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Would be a puzzling move, given that Trump's whole public persona is based on projecting this pseudo-strongman image.

What's even more puzzling is that a large part of his 'base' thinks COVID is a libtard hoax, even after their generalissimo and his moll caught it.

johnboy

Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:52 pm

Ken777 wrote:

Personally I hope he gets through alive, but also hope he experiences the same levels of illness that the little people have suffered through. Maybe he will then learn the meaning of the word "empathy"

I do too, but only for him/his family to reap the “rewards” for their corruption and shockingly amoral behavior in the Biden administration.

It’s nice to see the universe working things out on its own.

alfa164

Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:02 am

LH658 wrote:

I doubt it brings much sympathy; if anything, it only emphasizes his own hubris, arrogance, and incompetence. Maybe his "true believers" won't be swayed, but anyone on the fence can see that all his lying and huffing and puffing was a sham. And the sham caught up with him.

Aaron747

Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:28 am

RNC Chair McDaniel has also tested positive. Maybe these morons should have required masks at their events.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 6.html?amp

We have had zero cases at my company since mandatory masks went into effect in May.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

astuteman

Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:46 am

Ken777 wrote:
Trump has set himself up for a lot of print attacking him because of how he has treated the "little people" sick & dying from the virus. He. is clearly part of the problem and "courtesy" is a word that he doesn't understand.

Do you know, Ken, I can't believe I'm saying this, as I would always want to be charitable to fellow humans, but I completely agree with you.
He needs to learn a lesson here, and that means suffering a hard knock.
For the "Greater Good".
He is a massive part of the problem, and has displayed the worst standard of leadership for a nation that I think I have ever seen, in my life.
I was seriously challenged not to ROFL at the poster above who linked stability in the USA with Donald Trump, the guy who has destroyed more of the USA's "equity" both domestically and worldwide, than anyone else I can think of, and yet his core base signally seem unable to recognise the reality which stares the whole of the rest of the world in the face.

We watch with horror the antics seemingly deliberately setting up the destruction of democracy as we know it in the USA - casting doubt on the election process, spreading lies about postal voting, getting crony republican governors to remove the bulk of the postal vote drop boxes, promoting violent white supremacist groups interference with the voting process......

I have wondered for a while now how long it will take his fanatical fan base to realise that he doesn't give a rats ass, about them, the USA, or any other human - the only thing he cares about is Donald Trump.
As a long-standing "US-o-phile" its been painful to watch
Make America Grate Again?
Sad, really

Rgds

Pellegrine

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:09 am

Whew. I don't wish anyone chronic illness or death...as much as I might dislike them, but if his sickness lasts a few weeks it will be a serious wake up call. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

WarRI1

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:17 am

astuteman wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

Do you know, Ken, I can't believe I'm saying this, as I would always want to be charitable to fellow humans, but I completely agree with you.
He needs to learn a lesson here, and that means suffering a hard knock.
For the "Greater Good".
He is a massive part of the problem, and has displayed the worst standard of leadership for a nation that I think I have ever seen, in my life.
I was seriously challenged not to ROFL at the poster above who linked stability in the USA with Donald Trump, the guy who has destroyed more of the USA's "equity" both domestically and worldwide, than anyone else I can think of, and yet his core base signally seem unable to recognise the reality which stares the whole of the rest of the world in the face.

We watch with horror the antics seemingly deliberately setting up the destruction of democracy as we know it in the USA - casting doubt on the election process, spreading lies about postal voting, getting crony republican governors to remove the bulk of the postal vote drop boxes, promoting violent white supremacist groups interference with the voting process......

I agree and I have not one once of empathy for any of them. They have reaped what they have sowed, division and hatred. It seems that anyone who has followed their trail of destruction and hatred also hates or dislikes them intensely like I and many others do from what has been written on this site.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Pellegrine

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:19 am

Kellyanne Conway has tested positive. That ACB event appears to be a superspreading event.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

WarRI1

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:25 am

Pellegrine wrote:
Kellyanne Conway has tested positive. That ACB event appears to be a superspreading event.

I just said to my wife today, Kelly Ann Conway was at least smart enough to leave before this debacle. I guess I was wrong. Of course she was an enabler of this man for years, so Boo Hoo.

johnboy

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:28 am

Pellegrine wrote:

Trump is taking out the whole Republican establishment in Washington.

Truly Shakespearean.

WarRI1

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:35 am

johnboy wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Trump is taking out the whole Republican establishment in Washington.

Truly Shakespearean.

Maybe that will save the Union.

Pellegrine

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:37 am

Also I'd like to add: Joe Biden is still at risk because of the incubation period. You can get a low viral load and your incubation period will be longer. So he needs to quarantine and get tested daily IMO. Trump was positive at that debate. Some are also recommending the first 5 people in the line of succession also quarantine and get tested regularly.

WarRI1

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:41 am

My Son had a low grade fever for 14 days, then it turned on him like a Tiger, so they had better not count their chickens too quickly.

dragon-wings

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:59 am

I wonder if Trump and company will now take this seriously.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Pellegrine

Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:45 am

In addition to the Regeneron therapy, the President is also now on Remdesivir, although he is not on supplemental oxygen.

Edit: Bill Stepien, campaign manager for Trump 2020, has tested positive.

StarAC17

Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 am

casinterest wrote:

Seriously though, hopefully all have a speedy recovery.

I hope they all recover too.
However if you want some realistic karma here this will likely hold up the SCOTUS hearings an votes especially if other GOP senators were potentially exposed. Even if they don't get sick they would be forced to quarantine and probably couldn't vote on Barrett.

With Mike Lee now infected if they bring Barrett to a vote this deadlocks it I think with Pence being the tiebreaker. If even temporarily Pence has to take over the duties of president can he cast a tiebreaking vote in the senate? I am not sure if there is a scenario for this becuase as a Canadian I don't know all the intricacies of the US federal government.

Pellegrine wrote:
Also I'd like to add: Joe Biden is still at risk because of the incubation period. You can get a low viral load and your incubation period will be longer. So he needs to quarantine and get tested daily IMO. Trump was positive at that debate. Some are also recommending the first 5 people in the line of succession also quarantine and get tested regularly.

He will be tested and monitored but I think its unlikely he is at risk. He was a fair distance away from Trump in the debate in a pretty open auditorium. I think the chances while possible are low for both Biden and Chris Wallace.

This is more than likely going to be traced back to a fundraiser in the last week where many GOP officials and Trump were in close proximity to an infected person. I am almost certain the rules go out the window at these fundraisers and thus you have the superspreader event
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Francoflier

Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 am

Interesting that they are resorting to experimental drugs that quickly in the case of Trump... Regeneron is not approved yet, and the president of a country is not the kind of person you'd include as part of a clinical trial. People outside the testing regime can be given experimental drugs on a compassionate basis, i.e. they are basically dying and all else has failed, so they have nothing to lose.

Would a mild case of Covid justify exposing the President to an experimental drug (though a promising one)? Are his doctors a bit more worried than they let on? I mean, he went from a positive test to the hospital awfully fast.

Interesting conundrum for Regeneron as well. You can hardly say no when the White House asks for your experimental drug, but the implications for your company might be huge.
They'd immensely profit from the PR and probably future government funding/contracts if it works but should the worst happen, it could severely and permanently damage their image and business.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.