Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation
Topic Author

Eleven Foot Eight

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:08 am

I don't know how I've been on the Internet as long as I have and haven't run into this, it's made for this kind of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdwa

http://11foot8.com

Albert Einstein — 'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Eleven Foot Eight

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:12 am

Pretty funny stuff, alright. There’s several channels on YT devoted to low bridges.

wingman

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:19 am

That’s a famous overpass we’ll known to car crash video junkies, featured on many YT series. Note how the bastards buttressed the underside with solid steel I-beams and left nary a special warning behind except the usual height sign. I have a feeling there’s a collection of DOT stoners watching that live cam feed every weekend munching wings and pizza.

TARTRESED

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:22 am

You will grow tired of it soon, I keep letting YouTube know I am not interested, yet every six months or so it shows up as recommended. Also, they need to rename it as 12 foot 4 since the clearance was changed. Rather a stupid channel really, made for people that entertain easily.

Francoflier

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:09 am

Funny you should mention it.

I used to watch a few of their videos a few years back and just recently their channel popped up on my YT recommendations out of the blue, despite me having completely forgotten about them for a while and not watching similar videos either.

:scratchchin:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 am

wingman wrote:
That’s a famous overpass we’ll known to car crash video junkies, featured on many YT series. Note how the bastards buttressed the underside with solid steel I-beams and left nary a special warning behind except the usual height sign. I have a feeling there’s a collection of DOT stoners watching that live cam feed every weekend munching wings and pizza.

LOL, that's an interesting take.

If you read the FAQ at 11foot8.com the first part is pretty much true. The railroad owns the bridge and pretty much all it cares about is keeping the bridge intact, and once they installed the I-beams they were satisfied that the job was done.

It's a bit more updated now. Recently the city installed the bright white sign that blinks "OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN" then the railroad raised the bridge another 8 inches claiming this creates a level grade with the next trestle, but this doesn't solve anything. They did paint everything, so at least it looks better in the videos, lol!

But in the end there isn't much more that can be done without spending $millions of dollars, and no one is up for that.

TARTRESED wrote:
You will grow tired of it soon, I keep letting YouTube know I am not interested, yet every six months or so it shows up as recommended. Also, they need to rename it as 12 foot 4 since the clearance was changed. Rather a stupid channel really, made for people that entertain easily.

Yeah, but I think it's not just mindless entertainment, it's kind of a social study in things like personal responsibility vs social responsibility. It also shows some pretty mundane internet tech (by todays standards) can highlight some interesting issues.

Over in the 737 thread we have some discussions over should airline pilots get full stall training as opposed to stall recognition and avoidance. Would it be worth the money to avoid a few incidents over decades or not? Or is it more a problem that no matter how hard we try there's going to be licensed pilots who struggle, just ike there are truck drivers who are being given lots of hints about what's about to happen ( read the FAQ, the bridge is proceeded by three blocks of warning! ) yet still plow forward.

Aesma

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:26 am

I think only cars should be allowed under the bridge, with things hanging down from it to much lower than its actual height, so that it's clear from afar for truck drivers that they won't fit (even if some might fit).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

offloaded

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:59 am

First came across it a few years ago. I believe their is a major sewer line running under the road which is why they can't lower the road. It still amazes me that even with the new OVERHEIGHT signs flashing, people still drive into it. Obviously a lot of rental trucks, but what looks like commercial drivers too. What kind of driving penalty would that incur in the US? Points on the licence, or immediate ban?
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

ltbewr

Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Maybe they need to put in a sand or foam filled crash barrier like 20 feet from the underpass to catch overheight vehicles. Maybe a large 'speed bump' to slow vehicles down, a set up where if approaching the underpass and overheight, a gate like at a RR crossing would come down with 130 decibel horns to wake up dumb drivers.
I know of a few nasty underpasses like the one in the video in my area of New Jersey. At one in Mahwah, NJ for Rt. US 202 at 9',7" (~2.9 M) I saw a small box truck hit it and it wasn't pretty.
A poster asked if there could be penalties to drivers who crash into low overpasses. I don't know of any specific laws, but likely careless driving summons, fines points on your license would likely happen. If on a CDL, it doesn't take many points to lose your license. Then you also get a nice raise in your vehicle insurance premium, if a rental truck, then you may not be covered and get stuck with a huge bill. You are also likely to lose your job.

Aesma

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:40 pm

The problem is the intersection, you can't do much without hindering the passage of trucks parallel to the bridge.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

bombayduck

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:44 pm

[*]As the bridge was raised eight inches should that New height sign, say 12 ft 6 inches seeing as the height originally 11ft 8 inches.? But you still get muppet drivers that cannot read the flashing sign overheight please turn.

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:47 pm

Meh. Initially it's hilarious but after a while it gets old. A truck crashes and its roof is peeled off. Meh...

bombayduck wrote:
say 12 ft 6 inches

12ft 4in (there are 12 inches in a foot not 10). And in this case, the 2" DO make a big difference.

Aesma wrote:
I think only cars should be allowed under the bridge, with things hanging down from it to much lower than its actual height, so that it's clear from afar for truck drivers that they won't fit (even if some might fit).

There is a sign that warns drivers ahead of time (right by the actual traffic light of the intersection) that they have to turn.

When the sign wasn't there, it was easier to pin the blame on town officials; how do you know how high your truck is or whether it can fit under the bridge? I mean, yeah, you get your dimensions at the time of leasing, but the sign can be easy to miss. The lighted sign is so prominent that the town has pretty much done all it can.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bombayduck

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Stand corrected my mistake.

readytotaxi

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:50 pm

With those rental trucks does the CDW cover the damage or are they looking at a BIG BILL?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:11 pm

Aesma wrote:

I think the high bar with chains hanging down that show the driver they are about to hit and give them an audible indication is a good idea, but there really is no room for that in the run up area, and it too would need to be built to take a wallop since it seems drivers get a good head of steam going when the lights are green.

As for banning trucks, I guess we'd have to know the area and figure out if there are other safe ways in/out of that area.

ltbewr wrote:
Maybe they need to put in a sand or foam filled crash barrier like 20 feet from the underpass to catch overheight vehicles. Maybe a large 'speed bump' to slow vehicles down, a set up where if approaching the underpass and overheight, a gate like at a RR crossing would come down with 130 decibel horns to wake up dumb drivers.

Well, you couldn't do anything with sand/foam since the thing gets hit once a month or so and you'd be spending a lot of time and money rebuilding the warning device.

As for horns, people gotta live in that area, I'm sure there would be complaints about loud horns.

One thing I noticed was the beam was painted bright orange, but thought it'd be better to have orange and black alternating diagonal stripes to emphasize they need to be able to fit under the beam. It might not help much, but any improvement would be welcome I would think.

The FAQ says there are warning signs each block for three blocks before the bridge.

This all gets to the 'deeper meanings' of all of this. Whether we want to admit it, there's only so much society can do to protect people from their own shortcomings. At a certain point, we have a broad social agreement to let Darwinism take over and stand back and watch while the hurd gets culled. We are seeing time lapsed replays of this on 11foot8.com. This approach passes muster because most humans have an optimism bias, i.e. they feel they're not the one who will be culled.

einsteinboricua wrote:
When the sign wasn't there, it was easier to pin the blame on town officials; how do you know how high your truck is or whether it can fit under the bridge? I mean, yeah, you get your dimensions at the time of leasing, but the sign can be easy to miss. The lighted sign is so prominent that the town has pretty much done all it can.

The driver literally is responsible for knowing how high the truck is, and if there's any doubt to not try to force it under the bridge but take a different route or measure to be sure the truck can fit under the bridge. The FAQ suggests that it's a daily occurrence for a truck to approach the bridge and see the flashing lights and turn off, and a monthly occurrence for a truck to run itself against the can opener.

One aviation parallel is stall/spin training. You can write all the textbooks you want and you can talk about it in the classroom, but man, sitting in the cockpit with the nose of the plane pointed at the earth and the it spinning round and round as it gets closer all the time really does teach you a lot about how you never want to stall or spin your airplane. So, why not make all truck drivers go though a simulated 'low bridge' event in a driving sim or in a real live mock up? Well, that costs money. But so does wrecked trucks. Well, how often does that happen? Overall not a lot, but when it does, it's a real costly event. So, what do we do? Well, we put it on the driver to read the signs and not let it happen, but if it does, we blame the driver.

Another aviation parallel to this is the AD Boeing issued after the first crash: hey you sky gods, you see there's this thing called MCAS, and it's going to act a lot like a runaway stabilizer trim, and here's how you deal with it when it acts up, we're good to go, no?

readytotaxi wrote:
With those rental trucks does the CDW cover the damage or are they looking at a BIG BILL?

Nope, the FAQ on http://11foot8.com/11foot8-faq/ says the CDW in general does not cover hitting overhead obstructions.

casinterest

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm

That is 10 miles from me.
Bad news though for entertainment( good news for trucks)

https://www.wral.com/durham-s-can-opene ... /18712577/

"The additional 8 inches will maximize the increased clearance without affecting the grade of adjoining track on each side of the bridge. This is a $500,000 project that is funded solely by NCRR," Kessler said."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:50 pm

Revelation wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

The driver literally is responsible for knowing how high the truck is, and if there's any doubt to not try to force it under the bridge but take a different route or measure to be sure the truck can fit under the bridge. The FAQ suggests that it's a daily occurrence for a truck to approach the bridge and see the flashing lights and turn off, and a monthly occurrence for a truck to run itself against the can opener.

And that's why I opened the door to a driver that may have done their due diligence in knowing how high their truck is but missed the (non-flashing) sign stating the height (especially when you're more concerned about the intersection than anything else before you cross).

With the lighted sign warning someone to turn, prominently flashing alongside the traffic light, there is absolutely no way that someone can claim "well, I didn't see it". A small diamond on the overpass or next to the bridge? Yes...that's easy to miss (just like speed limit signs; you eventually don't even know how fast you can go). A flashing sign between the traffic lights that tell you whether it's safe to proceed or not? Nope!

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:58 pm

casinterest wrote:

"The additional 8 inches will maximize the increased clearance without affecting the grade of adjoining track on each side of the bridge. This is a $500,000 project that is funded solely by NCRR," Kessler said."

Seems the 8 inches aren't making that much of a difference, we're still seeing new videos going up after the work was done.

Is it feasible to just allow cars and forbid trucks from using the underpass?

einsteinboricua wrote:
And that's why I opened the door to a driver that may have done their due diligence in knowing how high their truck is but missed the (non-flashing) sign stating the height (especially when you're more concerned about the intersection than anything else before you cross).

With the lighted sign warning someone to turn, prominently flashing alongside the traffic light, there is absolutely no way that someone can claim "well, I didn't see it". A small diamond on the overpass or next to the bridge? Yes...that's easy to miss (just like speed limit signs; you eventually don't even know how fast you can go). A flashing sign between the traffic lights that tell you whether it's safe to proceed or not? Nope!

Looking at the videos it seems the bridge always had the two diamond signs, and maybe it was not very realistic to expect everyone to pick up on those, but yes the way the laws are written the driver is responsible for being alert and seeing such signs and not proceeding.

It seems like a sign with a yellow flashing light was added, then the big beam to protect the bridge, then the big white flashing sign.

We also know that there are big warning signs on each of the three blocks before the bridge, but aren't sure when they were added.

The continued failure of these measures again suggests to me they should try something different, like working on the training side of the problem.

T18

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Revelation wrote:

The continued failure of these measures again suggests to me they should try something different, like working on the training side of the problem.

I've wondered why they do not have a gate that will close when an overheight truck reaches the intersection, of perhaps place an overhead before the intersection with a hanging chain system to alert a hapless driver that "If you hit these, you will hit that", or straight up disallow any trucks/trailers on that road.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:59 pm

T18 wrote:
I've wondered why they do not have a gate that will close when an overheight truck reaches the intersection, of perhaps place an overhead before the intersection with a hanging chain system to alert a hapless driver that "If you hit these, you will hit that", or straight up disallow any trucks/trailers on that road.

There's only so much that a city can do before it's the driver's responsibility.

Give that when the sensor is triggered the intersection before the bridge gets a red light right away, that's time for a truck driver to notice that they won't make it through.

The gate idea sounds logical, but what if an emergency vehicle (ambulance, police, fire truck) needed to get through? That's going to cause a headache and it's frankly more trouble than its worth.

stl07

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:40 pm

We had a similar incident here in MO where a semi decided to go on a bridge that said no semi tucks allowed.

https://twitter.com/MSHPTrooperF/status ... 0598062080
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:22 pm

Can’t fix stupid and fines and/or points won’t either. They’re all local delivery trucks, so the bridge clearance should have been known and I’d bet not one of those drivers went to work planning on destroying their rigs. It’s not a criminal problem; it’s a training and safety problem.

There’s a tunnel in Brisbane that, when it detects an overheight vehicle, projects a hologram of a closed entrance. Pretty neat trick. Also, shows hitting bridges is a universal problem.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:25 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
T18 wrote:

There's only so much that a city can do before it's the driver's responsibility.

Give that when the sensor is triggered the intersection before the bridge gets a red light right away, that's time for a truck driver to notice that they won't make it through.

The gate idea sounds logical, but what if an emergency vehicle (ambulance, police, fire truck) needed to get through? That's going to cause a headache and it's frankly more trouble than its worth.

There’s a video at the site of a local engine or truck from the FD smacking the bridge.

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 am

Revelation wrote:
Trucks, and oversized RVs. (whaddya mean it's oversized??? :box: )
Anyways, the answer is yes, and no!.
There is a grade crossing just ¼mile along the rail line, on a road running parallel to Gregson St, but whereas Gregson St is one-way southbound, this grade crossing is one-way northbound! That's not helpful. :shakehead:

The best bet is to head east on a road running parallel to the railtrack, until you reach W Chapel Hill St, at which point you can turn south under the railtrack using a bridge displaying "12ft0in" signage. :rotfl:

Ok, since that doesn't work either, keep on going until you pick up the Downtown Loop and head another ¼mile east to Blackwell St, where there is another grade crossing. This time you can turn south!

(there is an alternative grade crossing if you head west from Gregson St instead, but I've contributed enough already)

Where I feel a real difference could be made is by using a lot more technology at the scene of the crime itself.
Particularly since some of those vehicles appear to be travelling somewhat faster than 25mph, giving them no time to take in the scenery.

Firstly, the overheight warning sensors should be wired to instantly turn the preceeding stop lights to RED.
(Somebody mentioned this as if it was already installed; or I could be wrong).

The truck drivers now have an additional 30-45 seconds, stationary, giving them time to observe the curious flashing signboard at the bridge just ahead of them. They might even hear a siren, or a spoken message, delivered through speakers targetting the front three rows at the stop lights.(hence it doesn't need to be overly loud)

Whilst they wait, the messageboard can run thru' more than one message cycle, offering helpful hints such as
"R U driving a rental truck or large RV?"
"U R on camera / don't lose UR roof!"
or even "UR insurance may not cover bridge damage"
(that last one should get their attention)

Finally, one of those modern fancy LCD advertising screens can switch from it's normal sponsored message, to show a graphic image of the last truck that tried this stunt.

If after all that when the lights turn green they still hit the bridge, simply wish them luck with their insurance claim.

einsteinboricua wrote:
... a driver that may have done their due diligence in knowing how high their truck is but missed the (non-flashing) sign stating the height (especially when you're more concerned about the intersection than anything else before you cross).
My thoughts too, especially if they are in a hurry.

Revelation wrote:
Looking at the videos it seems the bridge always had the two diamond signs, and maybe it was not very realistic to expect everyone to pick up on those, but yes the way the laws are written the driver is responsible for being alert and seeing such signs and not proceeding.

It seems like a sign with a yellow flashing light was added, then the big beam to protect the bridge, then the big white flashing sign.

We also know that there are big warning signs on each of the three blocks before the bridge, but aren't sure when they were added.
I saw the reference to those "big" warning signs too, but I'm not so sure. I see just regular signs, often lost against a background of more interesting sights such as the vivid red painted brickwork at "Maverick's Smokehouse & Taproom"
It's too easy to be distracted. Or maybe suffer information overload.

(& FWIW the signage is not on "each of the three blocks before the bridge"
I see one overhead sign at "1000 feet", and a pair (one each side of the road) at 350 feet.
And in fact the overhead version at 1000 feet is badly positioned at the extreme right, just before a right filter/turn, making it seem like the hazard is off to the right, not straight ahead.
That's poor execution!)
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Revelation
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:50 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Can’t fix stupid and fines and/or points won’t either. They’re all local delivery trucks, so the bridge clearance should have been known and I’d bet not one of those drivers went to work planning on destroying their rigs. It’s not a criminal problem; it’s a training and safety problem.

There’s a tunnel in Brisbane that, when it detects an overheight vehicle, projects a hologram of a closed entrance. Pretty neat trick. Also, shows hitting bridges is a universal problem.

What's also interesting to me is this bridge has to have been around since the times railroads were dominant, so there should be several generations of local human knowledge about the bridge.

A friend of mine who lives in nearby Raleigh tells me the local workforce has large numbers of people with local knowledge of Guadalajara or Chihuahua rather than Durham. Seems the local rental truck industry is taking a big risk lending trucks to these people under the circumstances that the standard insurance won't cover collisions with overhead objects.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Whilst they wait, the messageboard can run thru' more than one message cycle, offering helpful hints such as
"R U driving a rental truck or large RV?"
"U R on camera / don't lose UR roof!"
or even "UR insurance may not cover bridge damage"
(that last one should get their attention)

Finally, one of those modern fancy LCD advertising screens can switch from it's normal sponsored message, to show a graphic image of the last truck that tried this stunt.

I think a huge advertising screen showing footage from 11foot8.com would be the best answer.

Warnings would at least need to be multi-lingual and even then you can't assume a high level of literacy.

Maybe mix in a map showing how to avoid the bridge as per your instructions.

As for displaying vehicle height in the cab, the best example of such I found via google was:

Ref: https://www.kudauk.ltd.uk/product/heigh ... -hgv-truck

£6.99 +VAT seems like a wise investment, although I'm not sure where you would mount it. One illustration suggests over the door.

Ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-COMMERCIAL ... 1924343507 ) gives some even cheaper approaches.

As for road signage, something I mentioned earlier is it would draw more attention to the beam if it were striped with black and orange stripes.

The beam is already painted orange, just send a guy up there with a roll of black duct tape, sorted!

LCDFlight

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 am

It would be really crazy if a train tried to go into a tunnel that is slightly too short.

ltbewr

Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:41 am

LCDFlight wrote:
It would be really crazy if a train tried to go into a tunnel that is slightly too short.

Train lines likely have routing programs to limit such problems. As to vehicle tunnels, from time to time over height trucks get stuck and cause significant damage in the Lincoln Tunnel between NJ and NY City despite police and agents looking out for them and warning systems.
Some bridges also present a problem for trucks due to low overheads, or partial ones due to critical structural elements. They may be of sufficient height in center lanes but not as the edges of lanes. There is such a bridge near me. Sometimes overweight vehicles in the wrong lane can cause major damage like this one on I-5 in WA state a number of years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-5_Skagi ... e_collapse
Then there are the '\humps' of roads over railroad tracks where low truck trailers get hung up, despite warning signs and end up getting smashed by a passing train. There is one about a mile from my house that had that happen last year causing a mess. From time to time, dump trucks may have their dump bodies release, and get caught in the overhead of bridges, overpasses, overhead signs and utility wires causing havoc.

Francoflier

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:11 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

https://youtu.be/pcqfa_uj2hA

It does happen, just rarer and more expensive...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

petertenthije

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:56 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

It’s a very ingenious system, it projects a stop sign on a curtain of water.
Unless the driver is having a stroke, there is no way to miss this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImU1mG7QC4I
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA at 10' 6" is even more destructive than it's 'big' brother...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqfa_uj2hA shows trains can join in on the fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l9RpdxogXQ suggests dump truck drivers don't know when their bed is up...

wingman

Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:47 pm

petertenthije wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

It’s a very ingenious system, it projects a stop sign on a curtain of water.
Unless the driver is having a stroke, there is no way to miss this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImU1mG7QC4I

Aussies come up with some crazy stuff. I think living in a country with so many animals that can kill you must focus the mind on survival tactics, and that yields cool stuff like this hologram sign. Ingenious. But you have to agree, just placing nondescript height signs at lowered bridges makes for better You Tube videos. Close contest but America 1 : Australia 0.

casinterest

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Revelation wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Seems the 8 inches aren't making that much of a difference, we're still seeing new videos going up after the work was done.

It is a blind intersection for most. The reason there are a lot of rental/moving trucks making the mistake is indictative of following the GPS rather than the signs. it may be Durham's responsibility to work with some of the Google Map/Waze/Apple Maps/Garmin folks to make it clearer. The 8 inches makes a better chance for many vehicles, but it still claims the taller trucks.

IF you look around the site, there are plenty of alternatives, but most accidents are folks bombing down Gregson.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9994132 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:08 pm

casinterest wrote:
Revelation wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It is a blind intersection for most. The reason there are a lot of rental/moving trucks making the mistake is indictative of following the GPS rather than the signs. it may be Durham's responsibility to work with some of the Google Map/Waze/Apple Maps/Garmin folks to make it clearer. The 8 inches makes a better chance for many vehicles, but it still claims the taller trucks.

IF you look around the site, there are plenty of alternatives, but most accidents are folks bombing down Gregson.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9994132 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Thanks, that does confirm the detective work done up-thread.

It does seem that the videos do show drivers going fast to try to beat the light so losing all focus on other things such as how high is my truck and how low is that bridge.

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:49 pm

Revelation wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-UugI0JoA at 10' 6" is even more destructive than it's 'big' brother....

Turns out this bridge is not too far from me, it's in the greater Boston MA USA area.

In 2014 it took out a truck with a load of lobster worth $100,000:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/01/ ... ches-fire/

Knowing the locals, I bet a lot of 'damaged' lobster was being sold out of trunks of cars shortly thereafter...

Seems in 2018 enough was enough and the bridge was replaced, presumably the troublesome curbs were fixed as well:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/11/09/ ... placement/

Google led me to a fascinating PDF describing the project:

https://www.townhall.westwood.ma.us/hom ... t?id=11926

Seems the town had spend $40,000 on signage but to no avail, they were still seeing accidents every 1-2 months at the bridge.

The biggest fear was a truck carrying hazardous materials hitting the bridge and forcing an evacuation.

The local commuter rail outfit (MBTA) owns the bridge, they finally came up with the money to replace it.

The PDF shows how much thinking has to be done in advance to replace an active railway bridge.

In the end, it now looks like a "normal" bridge with 13' 4" of clearance:

Ref: https://www.mbta.com/projects/franklin- ... lery-image

Or Google Street View has a current view: https://goo.gl/maps/UBXqRyxksRGNXeLm9

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:13 pm

There are truck-specific mapping apps that solve this problem by not routing thru low bridges, tunnels, HAZMAT restricted routes, etc.

casinterest

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There are truck-specific mapping apps that solve this problem by not routing thru low bridges, tunnels, HAZMAT restricted routes, etc.

Agreed, but the biggest culprits are rentals, and moving companies that don't follow this.

aeromoe

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Interestingly, the channel popped up on my YouTube feed last weekend and I've watched a number of the videos. Crazy yet painfully entertaining to watch. I enjoyed the clip where they raised the railway bridge (the +8) and then showed the first Amtrak to roll across.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

bennett123

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm

There is a low bridge in Swindon as well.

The number of lorries and double decker buses you would not believe.

A big factor in the latter is that the Council has single and double deckers. Driver switchs buses and forgets.

Sokes

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Revelation wrote:
This all gets to the 'deeper meanings' of all of this. Whether we want to admit it, there's only so much society can do to protect people from their own shortcomings. At a certain point, we have a broad social agreement to let Darwinism take over and stand back and watch while the hurd gets culled. We are seeing time lapsed replays of this on 11foot8.com. This approach passes muster because most humans have an optimism bias, i.e. they feel they're not the one who will be culled.

I have to disagree. A driver may be distracted with the radio or, more likely, have worries.

Pathetic that the bridge wasn't fixed earlier.

Speaking of Darwin:
https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1996-01.html
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Sokes wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I have to disagree. A driver may be distracted with the radio or, more likely, have worries.

Speaking of Darwin:
https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1996-01.html

I'm not sure where there is disagreement. One shortcoming leading to getting the Darwinist chop would be inability to focus on assigned tasks.

andz

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:22 pm

Here the maximum height of a vehicle is 4.3m (14ft 1in) and the minimum bridge height is 5.5m (18ft).

Surely there are regulations in the US and other countries?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

71Zulu

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:25 pm

aeromoe wrote:
Interestingly, the channel popped up on my YouTube feed last weekend and I've watched a number of the videos. Crazy yet painfully entertaining to watch. I enjoyed the clip where they raised the railway bridge (the +8) and then showed the first Amtrak to roll across.
I believe they closed the road under the bridge for about a week but the actual track work they did in 8 hours, pretty amazing.

Sokes

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Revelation wrote:
I'm not sure where there is disagreement. One shortcoming leading to getting the Darwinist chop would be inability to focus on assigned tasks.

True.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:47 pm

andz wrote:
Here the maximum height of a vehicle is 4.3m (14ft 1in) and the minimum bridge height is 5.5m (18ft).

Surely there are regulations in the US and other countries?

Surely for new construction, but these bridges date back a long time.

The Westwood MA one dates back to 1911, the Durham NC one 1940.

andz

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

This is very clever but surely you don't want the semi stopping right at the entrance to the tunnel as shown in the video?

I know that professional drivers should know how to reverse but they should also know the height of their vehicle and not drive into trouble.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:58 pm

andz wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There’s a tunnel in Brisbane that, when it detects an overheight vehicle, projects a hologram of a closed entrance. Pretty neat trick.

This is very clever but surely you don't want the semi stopping right at the entrance to the tunnel as shown in the video?
Er, yes you do!
Think about it!
Having a semi (or "artic" in UK English) stop, in an awkward place, with traffic backing up behind it, is absolutely going to be a real pain.
But there is something even worse.
That is not having the semi come to a stop!
After such an impact you will still have the traffic backing up behind the incident, plus a whole bunch of other problems.

So yeah, it would be better to have the waterfall hologram positioned upstream a bit. If that is possible.

Be assured that the approach to the Sydney Harbour Tunnel features at least three sets of prominent warnings, way before you even get to the sheet-of-water-hologram.

I know that professional drivers should know how to reverse but they should also know the height of their vehicle and not drive into trouble.

Check the video again; the bridge at Durham (NC) is mostly hit by amateurs driving rental trucks, and people with colossal RVs.

Professionals, even before the advent of satnavs, use route planners that specifically identify hazards that would impact (!) tall vehicles, wide vehicles, heavy vehicles, and even dangerous loads.

Laservision "SoftStop"™ system
https://www.laservision.com.au/revoluti ... r-tunnels/

Thx to aol.co.uk
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:09 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Check the video again; the bridge at Durham (NC) is mostly hit by amateurs driving rental trucks, and people with colossal RVs.

A friend of mine is an ardent RVer.

He says there was a move to make drivers of such get commercial drivers licenses, but the manufacturers got that squashed.

I think I laughed the hardest at the RVs that made it under the can opener but all the units on their roofs got wiped off.

Not sure if these two things have anything to do with each other or not.

Turns out many of such RVs are being used for remote medical services.

That perhaps should have made me not laugh as hard, but it did not.

andz

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:12 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Having a semi (or "artic" in UK English) stop, in an awkward place, with traffic backing up behind it, is absolutely going to be a real pain.

I'm British, I know what an artic is. What I meant is that there should be a way of preventing it going all the way to the tunnel entrance before causing total chaos when it stops. Better than blocking the tunnel of course, but still.

aeromoe

Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm

71Zulu wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
I believe they closed the road under the bridge for about a week but the actual track work they did in 8 hours, pretty amazing.

:checkmark: Thanks!
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

pilotsmoe

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Aesma wrote:

Then the city buses won't be able to pass through , they're low enough to pass through.